Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 7397 Old 03-06-2004, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all. I just found out some disturbing news. I had a COX upper tech come out to fix a Digital box that was acting up. While he was hear, I asked some questions regarding the new 6200 box.

1. He said that a few of the boxes that they gave to customers had the Firewire and DVI already enabled, but that the guides did not work.

2. He told me that ALL the current 6200 boxes that have been given out will have to be swapped with a newer 6200 box... because COX cannot enable the Firewire/DVI with a software upgrade. He said that it is a hardware problem and that is why they need to swap them out.

If this is true... then all our hard work went for nothing. On the bright side... he said that the Firewire/DVI boxes will be ready in about 3 weeks. He also confirmed that UPN, WB and Starz-HD will be ready to go by summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7397 Old 03-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Skfields01,

I am highly skeptical about anything the cox rep say. If you scan the other forms you will see that the 6200 box works quite well with the DVI Enabled. However this might explain why I am having trouble loading the guide. In my last post I said all was well. That was with regard to the PQ. It is fantastic! SD and HD are as I have expected. I asked the rep if the DVI and Fire-wire were activated in this box and he said no. He did say that there are employees with the DVI activated. Now I cant get the guide to load.

niesman
post #273 of 7397 Old 03-06-2004, 06:35 PM

I spent 30+ minutes on the phone with them this morning trying to arrange to have my 5100 replaced with a 6200. I asked if I could bring the 5100 in for a swap and they said no, a technician would have to come out.
Then the rep said that they could promise that there would be any 6200 models on the truck if when the technician arrived.

Then I asked what the time frame was to be able to lease two HD cable boxes from Cox -- the answer was not until at least next year. I really want to get HD for my Sony Grand WEGA in my bedroom, but don't know if I want to pay $600+ for one (if I can even find one) that once they enable the Firewire port will only be able to record the channel I'm watching.
post #274 of 7397 Old 03-06-2004, 08:07 PM

niesman,

So is your DVI enabled already?
post #275 of 7397 Old 03-06-2004, 08:51 PM

Flip'

According to Ryland Madison the man in charge of HD for Cox, San Diego customers can have more than one stb. He has stated that initially the supplies were low and one per household was necessary. Things have changed and SD customers can have more than one. I posted on a San Diego Forum asking about OC customers and expect an answer soon. hdtv.forsandiego.com

Robert
post #276 of 7397 Old 03-06-2004, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I tested my DVI output and it is not enabled.

Rich
post #277 of 7397 Old 03-07-2004, 12:33 PM

Skfields01,

negative DVI is not active. The guide problem was a result of my splitting the signal. Once I bypassed my splitter all was well. I wish these damn boxes had a passive pass through so we could split after the box.

niesman
post #278 of 7397 Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 PM

Well, I guess time will tell if the info the tech gave me is right or not. He also did say that San Diego does get their equipment 6 months to 1 year before we do out here in OC.
He said that they already have the newest HD boxes that have the built-on PVR. He was unsure on whether they were able to record in HD though.
post #279 of 7397 Old 03-07-2004, 09:22 PM

What I have heard about the 6200 series (6208 with standard internal drive and 6200/6208 with external firewire drives) is that while they record HD, they have limited PVR functionality. That is, they can record the show you are watching, but don't allow you to watch a previously recorded show while recording another. That supposedly comes with the next generation hardware.
post #280 of 7397 Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 PM

I ordered the 6200 yesterday, tech will install on Monday. CSR claimed he new nothing of this model stb. I assured him they have them and are installing them. I'll fill you in on the results. If I split the cable to antenna A and the STB I will have problems???

Robert
post #281 of 7397 Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 AM

robhair,

It depends, I had a three way spit (to box, ant, and vcr). with the 5100 no problems except poor SD. With 6200 drop outs on SD and no guide. When ALL splits removed the 6200 has excellent performance. The cox rep said that the preferred set up is no splits, however they are making single splits to ant and seeing just a few problems. Good luck!

niesman
post #282 of 7397 Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 PM

Splitting

I asked Cox tech when he set up 6200 about splitting my signal so it could go to TiVo & 6200. He said it was OK as long as signal strength was above a certain level.
My signal comes into my media junction box (house in new and prewired for telepone, Cat5 and coax) and through a signal booster installed by original Cox tech. It is then split into 3, one of which goes to the bonus room outlet I use which is then split into 2 (splitter supplied by Cox tech) after the wall outlet. One goes to TiVo and one to the 6200. All seem to be working fine at this time.

Haven't tested DVI or firewire yet.....
What can firewire be used for on this unit if active ?

Sci-Fi Channel
Anyone heard any news as to if/when they will broadcast in HD and if/when Cox will pick it up ?
Except for fact that they have limited budget you would think they would be very on-the-ball with HD at Sci-Fi channel as Sci-Fi material is usually the first stuff to be filmed in HD (Children of Dune, Star Wars Episode II etc) or converted to HD and us "techies" would most likely be the largest % of their audience.

134" of HD picture !!
post #283 of 7397 Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM

The firewire port, once enabled, lets you hook up an external hard drive (and in the case of a 6208, and additional drive) for limited PVR functionality. It won't be close to ReplyTV or TIVO functionality. It just lets you record the channel you are watching. I'm assuming it will be able to handle scheduled recordings so you don't actually have to be watching. It won't provide the ability to watch a previously recorded show while recording the current channel. You need to wait for the next generation for this functionality.
post #284 of 7397 Old 03-08-2004, 07:43 PM

Got the 6200 this morning. Analog seems better-not great. Checked it against my Mits tuner and comes close. I had a three martini lunch so I'll know more another time. Got a reply from Honcho at the San Diego forum. It turns out his area of responsibility is only in San Diego. He referred me to Cox/OC website. Ha! that's a joke. He made it seem as though he was high up in the Cox org.. Turns out he's just a local yocal. Actually said to e-mail CSR for an answer, LOL.

Robert
post #285 of 7397 Old 03-09-2004, 10:31 AM

ukaussi,

Thanks for your splitting set up. The previous owner of my home had installed a similar set up, but just like everything else this knuckle head installed, he did it the cheap way. My wife and I have sunk $$$$$ into fixing his mistakes, thankfully the addition of a pre amp is relatively inexpensive ( I don't even think of using the existing cat5, I set up wifi on my own.).

niesman
post #286 of 7397 Old 03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

April 1 is coming soon. How many of you are thinking about getting a D-VHS VCR?

I would get one if I knew that the set top box would output HBO HD and Showtime HD unencrypted over 1394... I don't care too much about the other channels.

Rich
post #287 of 7397 Old 03-22-2004, 09:46 PM

How do you check the version of firmware you have on the 6200 ?

134" of HD picture !!
post #288 of 7397 Old 03-22-2004, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Power off and within a second, hit the Select button. The firmware interface comes up.

Use your right arrow key to enter a section, and left arrow to return to the menu. When done, Power off and Power back on.

I believe the firmware level is in the code modules section (I don't have it in front of me right now, but you can check the different areas until you see the firmware level).

Rich
post #289 of 7397 Old 03-24-2004, 07:23 PM

That was easy

Key part was "within 1 sec"

Firmware 5.04

Interesting to see the section that shows you which features are enabled.

Only USB was enabled

Ethernet, 1394, DVI were all disabled

134" of HD picture !!
post #290 of 7397 Old 03-31-2004, 07:48 AM

Curious if anyone has seen there DVI port turned on? I was hoping that they would have had it activated by now, but maybe that is just wishful thinking. Well, I got tired of waiting for COX to get UPN and WB, so I tried to get VOOM, which has 35 or so stations in HD. The sad news was that my place faces the wrong direction, so I can't get it. I was a bit bummed on Saturday... although the VOOM tech said as COX HD goes, he though the picture quality was outstanding, as good as VOOM. Well, I guess I'll keep on waiting. Let me know if anyone has got the DVI to work because that will help the picture quality by a 100 fold.
post #291 of 7397 Old 03-31-2004, 08:29 AM

I agree that DVI is important but not as much as firewire for me assuming that recording capabilities come with the enabling of firewire.

I have my HD Cable component going into my AV amp so I can use component switching. My Bravo DVD player has DVI and I would have to constantly switch cables if I used DVI from HD Cable as only one DVI input on projector.

After some thought, considering that a DVD source is 480p at best (even if the DVD player upconverts it) I think it would be better to switch the DVD player down to component when DVI is enable on the HD cable as the signal source on HD Cable is at LEAST 480p, but more often 720p.

With Firewire enabled and recording capabilities from the cable box menu (ie plug in a firewire hard drive and you get a HD DVR) this would be a much bigger plus for me as I could record shows that I can't watch.

134" of HD picture !!
post #292 of 7397 Old 03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

DVI is not yet operational.

I doubt that we will be able to attach hard drives to the boxes any time soon, from other threads I read in the hardware forum.

We'll have to see if anything changes tomorrow.

ukaussi - worst case, AVS is still selling the JVC HD VCRs that record 1080i component in analog mode (Pro Logic audio only). They do look very good through the RGB output of the VCR.

Rich
post #293 of 7397 Old 03-31-2004, 12:14 PM

well, I was atleast hoping...

ukaussi,
You can always get a DVI switcher box to have multiple DVI sources at once. I will have to do this also, as I am going to pick up either the Bravo D2/D3 or one of the new 1080i DVD players. I have the Samsung 931, and although it gets slight better color definition than a standard DVD player, I am much more impressed with the 2nd generation of newer ones coming out that were shown at CES.
post #294 of 7397 Old 04-02-2004, 04:56 PM

In case anyone is interested in the status of DVI and 1394 support for the 6200 STB from Cox, I just got the following email from Cox:

Thank you for your e-mail. Cox is committed to providing the best
customer service possible.
-
The 6200 HD boxes that have the 1394 port activated became available
yesterday, 4/1. Your 6200 HD box will have to be swapped with one that
has been activated. To do this you must call Customer Care, you will be
transferred to a Lead person who will set this up for you.
-
The DVI port is targeted to become activated sometime during the 2nd
quarter of this year. Whether or not the box will have to be swapped out
again for this we have not been told yet.
-
If we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to
contact us again.
-
Sincerely, Phil
Tech Support - Video & Telephony
Cox Communications Online Support Team
post #295 of 7397 Old 04-02-2004, 06:07 PM

Well it took two different transfers but the third time was the charm. Oh wait, only took two transfers. At no point did I get the run around or denials, just "Oh sure, that's another department that is handling that, let me transfer you". I ended up with a senior support something something and he took care of me, explained that some shows would have different levels of copy protection (copy once, no copy, and no copy restrictions). I would have to provide my own cable, but that was all, and they would call me back to schedule the appointment for the swapout.

As long as they call me back, color me suprised =)

Very exciting. I keep wanting to hate orange county cox because well, everybody hates their cable providers, but I just can't find a reason to yet.
post #296 of 7397 Old 04-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I have a 6200 problem...lately on the Analog channels I'm seeing a band of greenish tint at the top of the screen. I dont see it on the higher channels, or DVD or HD, so I don't think its the TV. Not seen any obvious cabling problems...so I'm thinking its the box, only had it for what, 2 months or less now?

Any ideas?

JET
post #297 of 7397 Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I just called Cox. They took down my information and told me they'd call me back. They said it would take 10-20 business days because they have to send the boxes to Atlanta to get the Firewire output enabled (?!)

I asked about charges. I was told that there could be a $31 charge at the discretion of the tech.

Rich
post #298 of 7397 Old 04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox just called me back and I have a 1394-enabled box installation scheduled for Saturday. Cox is being very responsive so far!

I need to decide on a recording solution...

Rich
post #299 of 7397 Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM

So how would that work, Rich? I'm sure you can't just buy an empty FireWire drive and plug it in. Is FW the standard connection for HD-type DVD and D-VHS recorders?

FWIW, when I last inquired, the cox rep said that later this year, the STBs will have a PVR built-in. I don't know if he meant that the HDD will be internal. Does the MOTO STB have recording software in the firmware? I'll believe that when I'm using it. But things sure are mnoving in a good direction.

The three most important things in the home theater realm are CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT!
post #300 of 7397 Old 04-06-2004, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

A separate hard drive will likely not work. I figure I'll need a D-VHS VCR.

Yes, a PVR would be the easiest solution. Cox San Diego is getting ready to deploy them in April, and OC is generally about 6 months behind SD.

Rich
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page