Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 7397 Old 04-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I was referring to Clear QAM to the wall. I rescanned both my TVs and recovered 9.1 on one, not on the other. Weird. Maybe signal strength? Weird also my TV did not tune the channel manually when it came back, only after a rescan.

Sorry for the delayed answer. Thanks for responding.

--
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 7397 Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wow, this board has gone quiet. Any news about anything Cox OC related? I am still hoping to hear about new HD channels, maybe including BBC America. I also want them to add Current (SD or HD) but that's probably a long shot...
post #6753 of 7397 Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Is anyone versed in the murky world of broadcast copy protection? I use a Ceton InfiniTV 4 with my Cox Cablecard and if I don't use the official MS audio decoder in mediacenter (I don't use it because it downsamples to Stereo and I want it to output DD and DTS to my receiver), then Copy Once programming cannot be viewed. It complains that the single copy has already taken place even when I attempt to watch it live. I sure love DRM.

Does anyone know why TBS is the only channel marked as Copy Once here in Cox OC? Who is making that decision and who do we complain to in order to complain enough to get it removed? I miss Conan =(
post #6754 of 7397 Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d View Post

Does anyone know why TBS is the only channel marked as Copy Once here in Cox OC? Who is making that decision and who do we complain to in order to complain enough to get it removed? I miss Conan =(

Consider yourself very lucky everything except locals in Phoenix and Tucson is Copy Once, CCI Byte 0x02 ON, no TiVo transfers for Cox AZ customers.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...79#post8007279

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #6755 of 7397 Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Wow, this board has gone quiet. Any news about anything Cox OC related? I am still hoping to hear about new HD channels, maybe including BBC America. I also want them to add Current (SD or HD) but that's probably a long shot...

I'm with you on BOTH those additions, but sigh, neither BBC America or Cox O.C. seem the least bit concerned that SD is all we get offered. Same goes for Current TV. Olberman was on Letterman the other night, discussing his new post as Current TV's news director - I guess that's why heavily Republican O.C. doesn't want their kids to see Current - too many Liberal ideas to warp the children (they may all turn gay and want healthcare - lol)
anyway - keep sending emails - that's all we can do
post #6756 of 7397 Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Haven't been here in a while, so apologies if this has been covered.

I recorded the whole season of Justified on FX over the last few months and decided to go through them the last few days. My setup is a DCX-3200 box using MythTV over firewire to capture (captures and stores the exact MPEG2 stream the box is receiving).

Is the picture quality really going downhill or is it just me? Picture seemed very dark in many scenes and the overall sharpness was pretty poor. Same system can play videos downloaded from the net with a clear picture.

Thanks
post #6757 of 7397 Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Last couple of years the HD channel quality in general has been heavily degraded. I've been advocating for a long time in this thread I prefer quality over quantity, but I think most customers don't care about HD quality that much and just want more channels. You would think with SDV Cox would have more bandwidth available for better quality but I think the real problem is the local headends are receiving crappy quality channels from the Cox national backbone and hence garbage in, garbage out for the local headends.
I even pointed out how crappy a channel looked being displayed in the Cox store one time and the employee just shrugged.

I've heard several comments from people at work who switched from Cox to DirecTV saying they feel HD picture quality was vastly improved. Problem is switching to satellite you are stuck with their DVR solution which does not appeal to me at all...
(a PC capture card recording from analog output is not a good alternative either seeing as it means a single tuner per satellite box)

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #6758 of 7397 Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Last couple of years the HD channel quality in general has been heavily degraded. I've been advocating for a long time in this thread I prefer quality over quantity, but I think most customers don't care about HD quality that much and just want more channels. You would think with SDV Cox would have more bandwidth available for better quality but I think the real problem is the local headends are receiving crappy quality channels from the Cox national backbone and hence garbage in, garbage out for the local headends.
I even pointed out how crappy a channel looked being displayed in the Cox store one time and the employee just shrugged.

I've heard several comments from people at work who switched from Cox to DirecTV saying they feel HD picture quality was vastly improved. Problem is switching to satellite you are stuck with their DVR solution which does not appeal to me at all...
(a PC capture card recording from analog output is not a good alternative either seeing as it means a single tuner per satellite box)

+100

I had to download past episodes of AMC's The Killing from newsgroups because I was late to the game. Once I caught up and started watching on Cox, the quality was horrible compared to a re-encoded file from some other unknown cable provider. It makes me wonder why I don't just download everything (where the commercials are already removed) and cancel Cox... Sad times. SDV is theoretically great and all but this is clearly used to cut costs and not improve quality.

I wonder how long we are going to live in the stone ages with keeping MPEG-2 around for cable content streaming. It requires about 20Mbps to look decent for HD content. Cox used 13Mbps in 2008 and it's only gotten crappier since then. 720p content looks many, many times better than cox at even 5Mbps. They will just keep sleezing their way along as long as the customer base will bear it.
post #6759 of 7397 Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Guess it isn't just me then. I agree that caps found off the Internet are miles better, and I doubt they're being made off of any "special" source, simply a better television provider.

I had problems with my Internet speed for a while but I got that sorted out after I bought the Motorola SB6120. I wish there was a similar upgrade for the television, but the problem seems foundational.
post #6760 of 7397 Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM

One of my old Cox boxes died, so I got a replacement from the Cox Laguna Niguel store. It is a Motorola dcx 3400m. It has USB connectors (front and back) as well as an ethernet connector (back).

Does anyone know what I can do with these connectors, if anything? ( cox support = nohelp)

Thanks in Advance
post #6761 of 7397 Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Current Moto DVR box only shows black when fast-forwarding recorded content. Rebooting the box improves the situation temporarily but it goes back after a day or two. It makes it hard to know when a commercial is over. Cox tech has been no help so I'm reaching out here. Since I haven't read about the issue previously in this forum, I'm assuming this is an isolated issue but figured I'd check here before moving forward.

Thanks!

Jason
post #6762 of 7397 Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Help me out here> Tuned in to the latter part of the Nascar Race on TNT HD yesterday, [They turned Left and Right]. The sound was like they miked it from LA, anyone else notice the low volume level??? Had the Cable Box and Audio Receiver set properly. Watched Falling Skies later it too had low volume. BTW, I set my Cable Box on Variable, Dolby, Surround, and Medium, as it won't go to high but always defaults back to narrow after being off. Video set at 1080i, and 4x3 letterbox. Thanx!!
post #6763 of 7397 Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM

So I imagine I'm the only one living behind the "Orange Curtain" to actually write Cox and request 'Current TV' in the last 3 months?
Just wonderin'
post #6764 of 7397 Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Help me out here> Tuned in to the latter part of the Nascar Race on TNT HD yesterday, [They turned Left and Right]. The sound was like they miked it from LA, anyone else notice the low volume level??? Had the Cable Box and Audio Receiver set properly. Watched Falling Skies later it too had low volume. BTW, I set my Cable Box on Variable, Dolby, Surround, and Medium, as it won't go to high but always defaults back to narrow after being off. Video set at 1080i, and 4x3 letterbox. Thanx!!

I had no issues on my TiVo. Are other channels fine? Are you still having audio issues with TNT?
post #6765 of 7397 Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

I watched it live, but the sound seemed normal.
post #6766 of 7397 Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post

So I imagine I'm the only one living behind the "Orange Curtain" to actually write Cox and request 'Current TV' in the last 3 months?
Just wonderin'

You are not the only one. I was told they had no plans to add it (or BBC America HD, my other request).
post #6767 of 7397 Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
You are not the only one. I was told they had no plans to add it (or BBC America HD, my other request).
ah - so it's just the two of us...... Quick, someone tell Doctor Who and Keith Olberman the minorities are being oppressed
post #6768 of 7397 Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm feeling pretty oppressed, but as a non-sports fan, not as a political minority! How many freakin' sports channels do we have, both in HD and not? Is it really asking that much to add one more HD general interest channel and one more non-HD public affairs/opinion/politics channel? Apparently so...
post #6769 of 7397 Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm feeling pretty oppressed, but as a non-sports fan, not as a political minority! How many freakin' sports channels do we have, both in HD and not? Is it really asking that much to add one more HD general interest channel and one more non-HD public affairs/opinion/politics channel? Apparently so...

I heard cox has no plans to add current tv anywhere
post #6770 of 7397 Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:

I think it's pretty obvious that Cox sends more money to the Republican Party than any other. Geez, they were running 'Morning Joe' on the public access channel 3 for a while - they may still be.
So as far as 'Current TV' goes, even thought there's a huge school of students in Cox's zipcode (CSUF) taking broadcast television courses, and Current is a channel that welcomes youth production, Cox just doesn't get it.
As far as BBC America - wow - after watching SoCal media junkies losing their cookies over 'Will and Kate' and their impending arrival in LA, you'd also think there would be an appetite for Brit TV.
Guess not.
Even thought 'Torchwood' is now shooting for Starz, and Doctor Who is filming episodes in the U.S.
Cox - giving us nothing but telephone commercials in our mailboxes.
Thank goodness I have a brain and use alternative methods
post #6771 of 7397 Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Adding TCM HD along with BBC and Current HD would be great...
post #6772 of 7397 Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw in another thread that there are now Cox CableCard self-install instructions posted on web site:
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...e_Motorola.pdf

There is also FCC legislation which requires cable operators that allow self-installs of cable boxes to also have self-install option of cable card devices. The deadline for implementation looks to be August 1 for cable companies that offer set top box self-installs (Cox OC does), and November 1 for others.

Hopefully this means the end very soon to the outrageous $75 truck roll fees Cox OC charges for cable card installs and a lot less hassle to complete cable card installs without needing a truck roll. So if you need a cable card don't let Cox OC try to charge you for it any longer come August 1.

EDIT: Looks like for Cox OC self-install option for CableCards is already available:
CableCard FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox View Post

How Is the CableCARD Installed?
You can order a CableCARD self-install kit from Cox. It includes the CableCARD and instructions for installing it yourself. Take a look at the instruction sheet to determine if self-installation is for you. Or you can request one of our technicians to install it for you.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #6773 of 7397 Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM

FYI: Ceton 4-tuner card on sale...

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3126080

Anyone running these on Cox?
post #6774 of 7397 Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am thinking of trying the cox single dvr box for a couple of months as it is discounted to $5/month - (definitely not planning on using it long term) and had a few questions for anyone that's used it:

(1) what model stb did you use and what is its capacity
(2) they advertise remote schedule capability via web browser and/or iPhone app, has anyone tried either of these and did they work
(3) can you add external sata drive to stb and use it
(4) any other comments about this service

thanks for any inputs
post #6775 of 7397 Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post
I am thinking of trying the cox single dvr box for a couple of months as it is discounted to $5/month - (definitely not planning on using it long term) and had a few questions for anyone that's used it:

(1) what model stb did you use and what is its capacity
(2) they advertise remote schedule capability via web browser and/or iPhone app, has anyone tried either of these and did they work
(3) can you add external sata drive to stb and use it
(4) any other comments about this service

thanks for any inputs
the dvr is dual not single tuner
post #6776 of 7397 Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
the dvr is dual not single tuner
I know; by "single" I was just trying to distinguish it from multi (as in multi-room or whole home) service.
post #6777 of 7397 Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Cox to add Current TV to their lineup.

But you can watch Olbermann's Countdown on YouTube. A guy by the name of 'Minirtist' posts the various segments shortly after they air. I'm watching same day video at 7pm here in OC.

I can't post a URL because this is my first post here, but look up 'Minirtist' on YouTube, go to his channel and sort by 'Date Added'.
post #6778 of 7397 Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox's Facebook page has said no current tv also.
post #6779 of 7397 Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Your best option is to do sign the petition at Current tv http://current.com/shows/countdown/p...communications and ask your friends and family to do the same.
post #6780 of 7397 Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy949 View Post

FYI: Ceton 4-tuner card on sale...

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3126080

Anyone running these on Cox?

I have installed 3 of these. They work great. Just make sure if you use a case that requires the half sized bracket that the case dosent have a lip where the bracket mounts; otherwise gettin the cablecard in there is a pain.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page