Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 7397 Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
::sigh::

Great.... why can't they just leave well enough alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7397 Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

So, I guess I'm off to submit a TiVo lineup change... if you have a TIVo, PLEASE SUBMIT ONE TOO ..

I submitted the request.
My guide is messed up and I'm in Laguna Niguel.
post #7023 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Oh for godssake...

I just got a TiVo lineup change that SyFy, Bravo and USA HD are all changing from the east coast to the west coast feeds.

I got the channel lineup change last night. For a while I couldn't tune 1022=USAHDP but seems to be working this morning.

Looks to me all is well this morning and Cox changed over to west coast broadcasts last night.

7:45am: On BRAVOHDP "The Fashion Show" should be playing 7:00-8:00am and that is what is currently playing.
8:00am: On BRAVOHDP "The Fashion Show" should be playing 8:00-9:00am and that is what is currently playing.
8:00am: On SYFYHDP "Dream Machines" should be playing 8:00-9:00am and that is what is currently playing.
8:00am: On USAHDP "Law & Order SVU" should be playing 8:00-9:00am and that is what is currently playing.

My Season Passes switched over to the HDP channels and ToDo list seems to match the guide.

In Summary: I think all is OK now and having Tribune change listings back to East Coast feeds would be wrong. So perhaps those that submitted lineup change need to retract it?

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #7024 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I agree -- the feeds are correct now. I'll retract my lineup change.
post #7025 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

In Summary: I think all is OK now and having Tribune change listings back to East Coast feeds would be wrong. So perhaps those that submitted lineup change need to retract it?

Thanks. Added an update to my request to TiVo to say channel/guide data match now.
post #7026 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It occurs to me that once again this is (again) a Cox!fail -- if they had sent out an email notifying cable card users of the change, we wouldn't have thought it was a mistake yesterday.

Anyway, from a quick look at my SP list, the only remaining non-premium cable channels that I record with any regularity that aren't on Pacific feeds are AMC, A&E, and BBCA. Keeping in mind that I don't watch any sports channels

I really hope AMC keeps one feed. I like watching Mad Men and Walking Dead at 7 pm.
post #7027 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It occurs to me that once again this is (again) a Cox!fail -- if they had sent out an email notifying cable card users of the change, we wouldn't have thought it was a mistake yesterday.

Anyway, from a quick look at my SP list, the only remaining non-premium cable channels that I record with any regularity that aren't on Pacific feeds are AMC, A&E, and BBCA. Keeping in mind that I don't watch any sports channels

I really hope AMC keeps one feed. I like watching Mad Men and Walking Dead at 7 pm.

In normal circumstances though Tribune would take several days to update the lineup. In this case the timing was off by about 12 hours or so which is not bad. I can live with lineup changes such as these being off for 12 hours rather than having days worth of wrong listings. Actually given that supposedly TiVo only updates their channel database once a day (I think around 1pm Pacific) and Cox usually pulls the trigger on channel updates in early dawn hours it's almost impossible to have no time delay between wrong and right. For my case the boxes didn't connect until late at night just a couple of hours before the Cox change so I was actually never affected by wrong listings at all in this case.

post #7028 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not the non-synchronization that bugs me -- it's that I panicked and submitted a lineup change and so did other people, because I thought it was an error. If Cox had just sent out an email that said this would be happening, I would have known it was only a few hours off and not done anything except manually record Eureka and Lost Girl last night.
post #7029 of 7397 Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not the non-synchronization that bugs me -- it's that I panicked and submitted a lineup change and so did other people, because I thought it was an error. If Cox had just sent out an email that said this would be happening, I would have known it was only a few hours off and not done anything except manually record Eureka and Lost Girl last night.

Agreed. Would be nice to know these changes are coming and when.

post #7030 of 7397 Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM
PVE

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agreed. I don't understand why it is so hard for them to let the customers know what is going on. Direct TV has a messaging system right in the on-screen program guide. Why doesn't Cox?

Also, I love getting East coast feeds because it lets me DVR so much more. It especially helps avoid problems when the networks pull their this-show-ends-at-10:01-so-it-can-mess-up-all-your-other-recordings garbage.
post #7031 of 7397 Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVE View Post

Agreed. I don't understand why it is so hard for them to let the customers know what is going on. Direct TV has a messaging system right in the on-screen program guide. Why doesn't Cox?

Also, I love getting East coast feeds because it lets me DVR so much more. It especially helps avoid problems when the networks pull their this-show-ends-at-10:01-so-it-can-mess-up-all-your-other-recordings garbage.

have you tried asking on the cox facebook page or the cox support forms

http://forums.cox.com/
post #7032 of 7397 Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I did post on their facebook page about it. I got a half-hearted "yeah, we'll try to do better next time" response.
post #7033 of 7397 Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM

We just made our garage into a playroom, including an older rear projection HD TV.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a second hand cable box (preferably with DVR) that will work for cox OC? I searched craigslist and there seem to be a ton for Time Warner, but didn't find any for cox.

Anyone have one or have any tips?

Alternatively, if there is a model from another service that will for aurw work with Cox, please let me know.

I have 2 Tivo HDs on our other TVs and really don't want o buy anohter one or rent a box form Cox.

Thanks!
post #7034 of 7397 Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post

We just made our garage into a playroom, including an older rear projection HD TV.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a second hand cable box (preferably with DVR) that will work for cox OC? I searched craigslist and there seem to be a ton for Time Warner, but didn't find any for cox.

Anyone have one or have any tips?

Alternatively, if there is a model from another service that will for aurw work with Cox, please let me know.

I have 2 Tivo HDs on our other TVs and really don't want o buy anohter one or rent a box form Cox.

Thanks!

that's the only option cox will not authorize non cox owned boxes except Tivo via cable card.
post #7035 of 7397 Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM

I've got a Cox coaxial cable running to a TV card in my computer.

On Monday, May 14 I noticed channel 4.1 is not NBC HD (KNBC-DT), instead it's showing the same programming that is on channel 4.2 - KNBCCDT2 (NBC Plus).

So, instead of watching NBC News in High Definition at 6:30pm I'm getting 'About San Diego' - the same show that is on channel 4.2

On March 19, 5 days after it started, the channels were back to normal and NBC HD was appearing on channel 4.1.

But today it is back to being screwed up.

I don't know if this occurs all day, as I don't watch NBC much - mostly just the Nightly News. I tuned in and channel 4.1 was showing channel 4.2 programming at 6:30 pm. My recorded show confirms it. But now at 7:15 pm channel 4.1 is back to showing regular NBC HD programming.

Is this happening to anyone else in Orange County?

I called Cox Support and was told they don't support TV cards
post #7036 of 7397 Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked: 13
I'm looking at Cox's website, and I'm really confused about what cable package I need. I want (all in HD):

TV Essential
Movie Pak
Variety Pak
Sports & Info Pak
HBO
Showtime

However, I DO NOT want any of their DVRs. I have TiVos, and need cable cards. It seems like their higher tiers of service all include DVR or whole-home DVR, which I will not use and don't want to pay for. What do I need to order to get this, or is it even possible? Do I need to just take the DVRs and hide them in the closet?
post #7037 of 7397 Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding View Post

I'm looking at Cox's website, and I'm really confused about what cable package I need. I want (all in HD):

TV Essential
Movie Pak
Variety Pak
Sports & Info Pak
HBO
Showtime

However, I DO NOT want any of their DVRs. I have TiVos, and need cable cards. It seems like their higher tiers of service all include DVR or whole-home DVR, which I will not use and don't want to pay for. What do I need to order to get this, or is it even possible? Do I need to just take the DVRs and hide them in the closet?

you also will need advanced tv
post #7038 of 7397 Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

you also will need advanced tv

What is advanced TV?
post #7039 of 7397 Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is advanced TV?

cox's name for digital tv channes
post #7040 of 7397 Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TV Essential
Movie Pak
Variety Pak
Sports & Info Pak
HBO
Showtime

You don't need to take the DVRs. Just call them up and explain what you want, including the cable cards.
post #7041 of 7397 Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Well is it just me or have many of the HD channels been looking especially bit-starved lately???? A few examples:
CBS 2, used to be the quality standard, best picture quality, now picture break-up during the camera pans...Could be what they are putting out.. Especially bad during sports..
Speed Ch. and Velocity look horrible: Speed is wide screen only and Velocity has mosquito noise in many back-grounds. During Live Mecum on Velocity it looked dull and had a swimming back-ground, I ckd. the DirecTV feed and it looked fine, on both Ch's..
NBC Sp. Ch, looks bit starved...Come on, Hockey needs all of the bandwidth it can get to look good, especially tonight and Wed... Again D looks much better
Yesterday I was flipping between Aliens on SyFy and Terminator 1 on Epix.. The audio was so low on Epix I could barely hear it, SY Fy audio was loud and clear. Pic quality was better on SyFy, and we pay for Epix.
FX looks soft, and most of the newly placed Pacific feeds for Tnt, USA, FX etc. look worse than before. For what I am paying I think it's fair to expect much better video quality, like we used to get....
Thanx....
post #7042 of 7397 Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM

It's not just you. I'm seeing the same thing.
post #7043 of 7397 Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. I was wondering if my splitter was on the fritz.
post #7044 of 7397 Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

YUCK. Hate this new AVS Forum look! My bookmarks to jump to most recent post don't even work anymore.
Cox "HD" feeds have always been bit-starved IMO so nothing new there.

post #7045 of 7397 Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ugh; I also don't like this new website look.

I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my internet download/upload performance seems to have dropped off significantly. I'm getting roughly 50% of the speed I was getting just month ago (I run the same measurement tests weekly). Anyone else having this problem?
post #7046 of 7397 Old 06-09-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Took a while to figure it out but new bookmark syntax to jump to newest post is:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/273324
(# at end is thread id)

post #7047 of 7397 Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Argh.. I want my list of subscriptions back so I can easily tell if there's been a new post. frown.gif
post #7048 of 7397 Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Argh.. I want my list of subscriptions back so I can easily tell if there's been a new post. frown.gif
Very top of page Subscriptions http://www.avsforum.com/users/subscriptions/

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #7049 of 7397 Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

ugh; I also don't like this new website look.
I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my internet download/upload performance seems to have dropped off significantly. I'm getting roughly 50% of the speed I was getting just month ago (I run the same measurement tests weekly). Anyone else having this problem?

its been getting worse so I broke down and called Cox support. They said the usual - signal strength problems; they also mentioned that as my modem is about 5 years old, they suggested getting a newer one, preferable DOCSIS 3 model. Does anyone have recommendations? Motorola, Cisco/Linsys, etc?
post #7050 of 7397 Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Get a DOCSIS 3 modem that is 8x4, (8 channels Down, 4 channels Up), The older Retail Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 are only 4x4 and are currently priced higher than the 8x4 modems through Cox.
I would avoid any cable modem / router combos.

Cox lists $79.99 for a DOCSIS 3 modem, you will be hard pressed to find a better price, I would purchase it from the Cox Store as long as they are selling one of the 8x4 listed below.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/orangecounty/internet/pricing.cox

All Cox Compatible Cable Modems

The Cisco DPC3010 is 8x4
http://ww2.cox.com/support/print_media/internet/equipment/dpc_3010_data_sheet.pdf

The Motorola SB6180 is 8x4
http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/Products/Modems%20and%20Gateways/Modems/Cable%20Modems/SB6180/_Documents/Static_files/SB6180%20Data%20Sheet%20570634-001-c.pdf?localeId=33

If you also have Cox Digital Phone and currently have an eMTA (phone modem), you can most likely get it upgraded free to a DOCSIS 3 eMTA (combo Internet/Phone modem) to use as both phone and internet.
Cisco DPQ3212 eMTA Modem, 8x4
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={3a226f70-5ee2-11e0-4e73-000000000000}
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPQ3212.html

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page