Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 245 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7321 of 7407 Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had Cox phone with a separate cable modem. When I changed the cable modem to a DOCSIS 3 unit, it was considerably faster with no other change. I've since cancelled the Cox phone service and switched to Ooma. $3.71 per month for unlimited calls. I've been very happy so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7407 Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Those speed tests are really not long enough to get true sustainable download and especially upload speeds. I'm more interested in sustained speeds over long periods of time. For me a good test is using Slingbox. Currently I only get around 2 Mbps sustained upload speeds which matches the max defined for Preferred tier. I'm hoping that changes to 5 Mbps with this next update. The other problem is that since I have triple play Cox gave me this integrated Cable Modem + Phone box from Arris and it is only DOCSIS 2.0. Cox themselves state that using DOCSIS 3.0 is highly recommended yet give me a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Don't know if anyone else here has Cox phone service as well with a DOCSIS 3.0 box? I may have to just consider dumping phone service from Cox if they can't get me to DOCSIS 3 such that I can buy my own modem.

Per Teague's reply, yes, you can have a non-integrated doccis 3.0 modem and still get cox phone
To be honest, I'm not even sure where my cox phone modem is, I assume they installed it somewhere when we got the phone service years ago. But it's not integrated into my motorola cable modem
post #7323 of 7407 Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK thanks guys. I'll wait to see what the advertised rates are for the internet upgrades and if I don't get those rates I'll call up Cox.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #7324 of 7407 Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a Moto. Docisis 3+ Modem and Cox Phone service. It works OK. I'm much more concerned with the HD Video quality now on Cox. NHL Ch, NBC Sp, CBS SP, Velocity, Palladia, FX, AMC, TCM HD, USA, Universal HD etc.. [All of the NBC HD Cable channels look horrible]. Sports are fast moving, with quick pans by the cameras, Cox has got to allot more band-width to these channels.
They used to look very good, and their competitors still look good, Cox has got to step up with improved Video quality....
post #7325 of 7407 Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the quality on HD Video. Mine started looking very bad as of last Monday. I even had Cox out to check lines and all are fine. Glad I am not the only one noticing. TNT was really bad during NBA games. I hope they fix this.
post #7326 of 7407 Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 View Post

I agree with the quality on HD Video. Mine started looking very bad as of last Monday. I even had Cox out to check lines and all are fine. Glad I am not the only one noticing. TNT was really bad during NBA games. I hope they fix this.
I don't think it's anything new. Certainly TNT games I remember being awful last year. SyFy channel can get pretty awful at times as well. I'd say a lot of the national HD channels are pretty bad.
I will note that the NBA games on TWCSNHD are excellent.

post #7327 of 7407 Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's anything new. Certainly TNT games I remember being awful last year. SyFy channel can get pretty awful at times as well. I'd say a lot of the national HD channels are pretty bad.
I will note that the NBA games on TWCSNHD are excellent.

Maybe because we got bigger TV I am noticing more. Football games for the most part still look pretty good. Laker games do look a lot better on TWCHD than TNT. It just seems it is not as good a picture in the last week or so on more channels than I remembered it before.

Thanks for the comments, good to know others notice this also.
post #7328 of 7407 Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Lakers HD picture on TWC not looking good tonight on our TV. Cox coming out again Monday to check things out. Looks like picture is really compressed.
post #7329 of 7407 Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Cox has D3 phone modems you need to call in and swap it. Cox might have missed you in the upgrades.
post #7330 of 7407 Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Recently I watched season 1 & 2 episodes of "The Killing" via Netflix streaming. I also recorded season 3 episodes on my TiVos from AMCHD channel a while back. So I had a chance to compare Netflix H.264 6 Mbps titles vs Cox AMCHD mpeg2 titles. To me the Netflix HD streams were superior to the AMCHD recordings, which is a sad testament to the quality of some of Cox's "HD" channels. This has led me to want to watch older episodes of shows via Netflix instead of from Cox. I hope there are enough people out there realizing this that it sends a message to Cox that improving picture quality should become a priority.

post #7331 of 7407 Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looks like my area finally got the upgraded speeds. Only on the second fastest plan too:

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #7332 of 7407 Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Recently I watched season 1 & 2 episodes of "The Killing" via Netflix streaming. I also recorded season 3 episodes on my TiVos from AMCHD channel a while back. So I had a chance to compare Netflix H.264 6 Mbps titles vs Cox AMCHD mpeg2 titles. To me the Netflix HD streams were superior to the AMCHD recordings, which is a sad testament to the quality of some of Cox's "HD" channels. This has led me to want to watch older episodes of shows via Netflix instead of from Cox. I hope there are enough people out there realizing this that it sends a message to Cox that improving picture quality should become a priority.

MPEG 4 is better than MPEG 2? No kidding?

I'm sure Cox will gladly accept your check to reimburse them for upgrading all of their STBs to MPEG 4.
post #7333 of 7407 Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I'm sure Cox will gladly accept your check to reimburse them for upgrading all of their STBs to MPEG 4.

It's certainly not just that simple. I've been watching Cox HD since it was first offered in my area, and it is SIGNIFICANTLY worse in quality than when it was first offered, even with MPEG 2 encoding. So it's obvious they could have better picture quality even with the MPEG 2 hardware.
post #7334 of 7407 Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by teague View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

It's certainly not just that simple. I've been watching Cox HD since it was first offered in my area, and it is SIGNIFICANTLY worse in quality than when it was first offered, even with MPEG 2 encoding. So it's obvious they could have better picture quality even with the MPEG 2 hardware.

What you don't say is how much of the degradation is being caused by Cox and how much is being caused by the program supplier. I noticed a degradation of quality each time an OTA affiliate added another sub-channel, and so did my OTA only neighbor. Same with cable programs as Viacom and the others play with their bitrates and compression. I just know that I'm seeing quite good video on Cox's MPEG4 HD channels.
post #7335 of 7407 Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post

Looks like my area finally got the upgraded speeds. Only on the second fastest plan too:

Testing Preferred tier here I'm getting 26/8 Mbps up via a couple of speed test sites. (And this is with a DOCSIS 2 phone/modem unit).
Cox's page now advertises as:
5/1 Mbps for Essential
25/5 Mbps for Preferred
50/10 Mbps for Premier
100/25 Mbps for Ultimate

I'm thrilled to see finally that upload speeds are being increased as for many years they were just pitiful here. I'll have to check on sustained upload rates at some point to see if the 5+ Mbps number holds out but certainly looks good.

EDIT: I see the Data Limits are still 250GB/month though according to Use Meter which I'm running very close to every month due to all the Netflix streaming watching in our house. That should go up.

post #7336 of 7407 Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 PM

the last day or two, in Orange County south, I can't stream anything above 360k on Youtube, etc. (720 & 1080 a no-go).
the result is stuttering, buffering or being forced back to 360.
surprisingly, if I log into a VPN service and then access Youtube, or any other HD streaming content, I have no problems what so ever.

any idea why this would be? Are Cox having problems with their servers (of course, tech support claims everything is fine), or is there some other reason why VPN would work and Cox wouldn't?
I have plenty of cap-space available as well

My service is Premium Tier I believe
post #7337 of 7407 Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM

this thread suggests Cox is up to some shady business....

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/t/2590.aspx?pi287=6
post #7338 of 7407 Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 PM

I've been having trouble playing youtube videos also, but it's something I've only noticed in the last few days. I had thought it was youtube until I saw this post.
post #7339 of 7407 Old 12-07-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Just tried some 1080p test videos on YouTube and they are coming out terrible so something is up. (I am using Cox DNS servers so perhaps that's part of the problem). Netflix is working fine (1080p/24 sustained).

post #7340 of 7407 Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Just tried some 1080p test videos on YouTube and they are coming out terrible so something is up. (I am using Cox DNS servers so perhaps that's part of the problem). Netflix is working fine (1080p/24 sustained).

yes, rumor has it Cox and Netflix have made a cash deal to ensure bandwidth, but not a deal with Google.

I'm confused: I pay Cox for various levels of Internet performance, bandwidth, speed and i thought, transparency.

apparently the rules have changed...and cheeky Cox actually want us to bitch at Google?!?
That takes big attachments...
post #7341 of 7407 Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI I'm now able to get 1080p/24 on YouTube again, so whatever the problem was it was temporary.

post #7342 of 7407 Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:

FYI I'm now able to get 1080p/24 on YouTube again, so whatever the problem was it was temporary.

can you get it 24 hours a day? I have packet disruption between 3/4 pm & 11/12 midnight, prime time.
the rest of the day, playback of HD material is not disrupted. To me, they are up to something.
post #7343 of 7407 Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post

can you get it 24 hours a day? I have packet disruption between 3/4 pm & 11/12 midnight, prime time.
the rest of the day, playback of HD material is not disrupted. To me, they are up to something.
I don't use YouTube much. Just trying last night though I wasn't able to get 1080p/24 so looks like Cox may be throttling during prime internet hours... Note that Netflix HD I use a lot and I always got 1080p/24 no matter what so that is not affected.

post #7344 of 7407 Old 12-11-2013, 02:22 PM

and there's no slowdown with Vimeo either.... Google is the deep-pockets player. I suspect Netflix has made a deal with cable companies, and Google hasn't. What I don't understand is how the cable co's can demand this, since we pay for an advertised level of quality. If they then deny us that quality until a third-party pays them more, I dunno....guess it's time to call the FCC again (not like they'd do anything anyways, as they're likely in the cable co's lobbyists pockets).

And Speedtest tells you absolutely nothing important regarding packet-shaping, so a Cox CSR will say "oh, did you check your speed at Speedtest?"
Rubbish.
If there were a competing broadband supplier, adios Cox
post #7345 of 7407 Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Do we actually know that Cox is the culprit though? Could it be the YouTube servers instead? I would suspect Cox first but I don't have any concrete evidence to suggest they are actually doing something.

post #7346 of 7407 Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Do we actually know that Cox is the culprit though? Could it be the YouTube servers instead? I would suspect Cox first but I don't have any concrete evidence to suggest they are actually doing something.

find a free VPN service (Tunnelbear), connect via that during the same prime-time hours and watch perfect Youtube HD content....I suspect Cox may be hosting Youtube servers, which int working (CDN).
Try a VPN
post #7347 of 7407 Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Testing Preferred tier here I'm getting 26/8 Mbps up via a couple of speed test sites. (And this is with a DOCSIS 2 phone/modem unit).
Cox's page now advertises as:
5/1 Mbps for Essential
25/5 Mbps for Preferred
50/10 Mbps for Premier
100/25 Mbps for Ultimate

I'm thrilled to see finally that upload speeds are being increased as for many years they were just pitiful here. I'll have to check on sustained upload rates at some point to see if the 5+ Mbps number holds out but certainly looks good.

EDIT: I see the Data Limits are still 250GB/month though according to Use Meter which I'm running very close to every month due to all the Netflix streaming watching in our house. That should go up.
Got around to testing sustained upload speeds over several hours and I'm getting the advertised 5 Mbps with my DOCSIS 2 modem. (The web speed tests just upload short amount of data so not a true indicator and generally faster than the sustained uploads). This also now means excellent Slingbox functionality out of home now.

post #7348 of 7407 Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I went from a Docsis 2 Modem to a Docsis 3+ and while the download speed increased slightly, the upload speed increased dramatically. I saw the Motorola 6141 Surfboard Extreme 8x4 Cable Modem at Costco for $ 89.00... It is supported by Cox. Works well.
post #7349 of 7407 Old 12-17-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

I went from a Docsis 2 Modem to a Docsis 3+ and while the download speed increased slightly, the upload speed increased dramatically. I saw the Motorola 6141 Surfboard Extreme 8x4 Cable Modem at Costco for $ 89.00... It is supported by Cox. Works well.
Problem is I use Cox phone service as well, so I can't just buy off the shelf modem without phone module. I can probably call Cox and get an upgrade but since I'm getting the 5 Mbps advertised/configured upload speeds already I'm not sure DOCSIS 3 would make any difference.

post #7350 of 7407 Old 12-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

I did. I have Cox Phone, Intanet, and Cable. I bought the Moto. Modem and just replaced the one I had, I called Cox first and they said they supported it.. I don't know about a phone module, do I have that??? Seems to work well. Good luck...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page