post #7351 of 7397 Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Problem is I use Cox phone service as well, so I can't just buy off the shelf modem without phone module. I can probably call Cox and get an upgrade but since I'm getting the 5 Mbps advertised/configured upload speeds already I'm not sure DOCSIS 3 would make any difference.
It is an easy swap out, just take it to a Cox Store and ask for the DOCSIS 3 eMTA.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7397 Old 12-17-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have Cox for phone service, and a modem I bought myself without any kind of phone module.
post #7353 of 7397 Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

I did. I have Cox Phone, Intanet, and Cable. I bought the Moto. Modem and just replaced the one I had, I called Cox first and they said they supported it.. I don't know about a phone module, do I have that??? Seems to work well. Good luck...
When I connect to the Arris modem (192.168.100.1) under "CM State" there are several lines related to telephone:
Telephony-DHCP
Telephony-TFTP
Telephony-Reg with Call Server
Telephony-Reg Complete Line(s): 1

So the above leads me to believe there's something special related to phone service.

Note that I had my own Moto modem before I had phone service and Cox installed this one in its place when I activated phone. It does have battery backup feature but I don't care about that and since I have amplifier right out of drop my phone service will drop anyway with a power outage so I don't care about the battery backup feature.

As was suggested by others I can likely just take my existing unit in to Cox store and swap it out for a DOCSIS 3 model for no charge.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #7354 of 7397 Old 01-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone here have HDHomerun and ESPN working? I can't get my tuning adapter to activate - blinking amber light. But all local HD channels work fine.
post #7355 of 7397 Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I have Cox for phone service, and a modem I bought myself without any kind of phone module.
I just checked and noticed my cable modem has a phone jack that connects to telephone line which distributes to the rest of the house, so looks like I do need a modem with built in telephony. My guess is those that don't have it built into the modem have the telephony<->coax connection elsewhere in the house as a separate box.

post #7356 of 7397 Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I just checked and noticed my cable modem has a phone jack that connects to telephone line which distributes to the rest of the house, so looks like I do need a modem with built in telephony. My guess is those that don't have it built into the modem have the telephony<->coax connection elsewhere in the house as a separate box.

When Cox first introduced Digital Phone, they used an outdoor ARRIS Cornerstone NIU Voice Port or the indoor ARRIS Touchstone Telephony Modem.

My home still has the outdoor ARRIS NIU.
http://www.broadbandsoho.com/PDF/Broadband_SoHo_Arris_CTI.pdf

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #7357 of 7397 Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM

I just submitted a lineup issue (http://www.tivo.com/lineup) with TiVo. Both our TiVos have the incorrect guide data for the Disney Channel (20 and 1020). Zap2It.com seems to have the correct data.
post #7358 of 7397 Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

When Cox first introduced Digital Phone, they used an outdoor ARRIS Cornerstone NIU Voice Port or the indoor ARRIS Touchstone Telephony Modem.

My home still has the outdoor ARRIS NIU.
http://www.broadbandsoho.com/PDF/Broadband_SoHo_Arris_CTI.pdf

Our home has this also, I signed up for phone service when first available. So phone has nothing to do with modem. I got a Docsis 3 modem a few months ago and it has helped with reliability and speeds.

Bob
post #7359 of 7397 Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This morning I'm not able to tune any of the following channels on any of my 3 TiVos:

(The SD equivalents to the above do tune fine as do all other channels I tried and that I'm subscribed to).

Anybody else having trouble with the above? If it were 1 TiVo having a problem I would suspect trouble on the TiVo, but all 3 TiVos at different locations in the house having trouble seems to me like this is a Cox related problem. I did reboot TiVos and Tuning Adapters which didn't help.

NOTE: TiVo Diagnostics show no frequencies when tuning the above channels, so it looks to be a channel map related issue.

post #7360 of 7397 Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 AM

Liked: 11
These are working for me in Irvine with a Tivo Roamio & TA.
post #7361 of 7397 Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks for posting. They are all working for me now on all 3 TiVos again, so must have been a temporary Cox issue.

post #7362 of 7397 Old 02-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Greedier and Greedier mad.gif

I notice my bill quietly jumped from $158 to $175 frown.gif

Internet $55 -> $62
TV $66 -> $75

Over 10%.

I guess everyone at Cox got a good salary increase this year!

--
Keith
post #7363 of 7397 Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My Bill also jumped. GRRR. I continue to have a problem with the Cox Video Quality. We are paying premium pricing, we should have excellent video/audio.
Watching the Olympics on the various NBC Cable channels. Hockey especially, as the players move and the camera scans the picture becomes a pixelated mess, especially on NBCsn, Msnbc, and USA . I recently had a Cox senior tech out and he went through my system, that isn't it. I don't know if it is a delivery problem to Cox, or a transfer problem on the Cox system to us. Sure looks like someone is pinching band-width....
post #7364 of 7397 Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

My Bill also jumped. GRRR. I continue to have a problem with the Cox Video Quality. We are paying premium pricing, we should have excellent video/audio.
Watching the Olympics on the various NBC Cable channels. Hockey especially, as the players move and the camera scans the picture becomes a pixelated mess, especially on NBCsn, Msnbc, and USA . I recently had a Cox senior tech out and he went through my system, that isn't it. I don't know if it is a delivery problem to Cox, or a transfer problem on the Cox system to us. Sure looks like someone is pinching band-width....
Unfortunately I think for those national channels like USA and NBCSN, etc. they come to the local headend already badly compressed and probably then suffer some further bit rate shaping locally. I think I even recall that for some channels Cox taps into Comcast national feeds as the source, so for those Cox doesn't have control over initial quality even if they cared about it (which they obviously don't). Last I checked years ago there were several cases of 3 HD channels per QAM along with some other SD channels thrown in - i.e. The bit rates on some "HD" channels are so low that there can be many channels thrown into 1 256 QAM with 38 Mbps total bandwidth available. At this point the only hope is that local Cox transition to H.264 will happen faster than anticipated so that assuming they at least continue the current pitiful bitrates it will look half decent with more bandwidth efficient codecs.
But then again it could well be the national feeds will continue to be mpeg2 in which case transcoding those terrible sources to H.264 will result in even worse looking pictures.

post #7365 of 7397 Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well said Moyekj. I should have added the worst looking HD channel Cox has, Velocity. Trouble is I watch it a lot, and it's horrible. Whenever the camera pans the picture stutters. I showed it to the Cox Tech when he was out, and even he admitted it wasn't right. I have e-mailed Cox and called with the issue with no joy. I have looked at Velocity on Direc, Fios, and even Dish, and it looks much better on those systems. The NBC Cable channels also look much better on D and Fios, and I'm told on Dish. BTW, anyone notice we only have 4 HD Showtime channels now??? Seems like we used to have more recently, like at least 7-8??? Thanx
post #7366 of 7397 Old 02-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Yesterday my tuning adapter started flashing the yellow light, and I'm not getting all channels on my Tivo Roamio. I've tried power cycling the TA, and rebooting the TIVO, but no luck. Anything else I should try, or do I need to call Cox?
post #7367 of 7397 Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teague View Post

Yesterday my tuning adapter started flashing the yellow light, and I'm not getting all channels on my Tivo Roamio. I've tried power cycling the TA, and rebooting the TIVO, but no luck. Anything else I should try, or do I need to call Cox?
Try swapping out coax cables and removing splitters to give cleanest possible signal to the TA. I had same problem once where power cycling didn't help and calling Cox to send hits didn't help. Finally I started messing with coax runs leading up to the TA and that solved the problem. What clued me in is swapping TA with another in a different location it worked there, so I knew the problem had to be cabling related.

If you have another coax drop somewhere in the house you can try plugging in the TA there to see if it stops flashing. If all that fails then it's likely a Cox issue.

post #7368 of 7397 Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
A few weeks ago it seems that Tivo changed their guide format. The new format seems to have many features removed and is not, in my opinion, a very good one. I can't find much info on why these changes were made (looked at tivo forums), but its pretty disappointing.

I have another (completely unrelated) question: I still have 1 tv connected to Cox cable box and want to know why the tv always is tuned to channel 2 when I turn it on. There is a "power on" setting for the stb which has no effect (probably because the stb itself is never powered off). Is there any way to change the initial channel? It can't be a tv setting because the input source is the stb not the tv antenna or whatever.
post #7369 of 7397 Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

A few weeks ago it seems that Tivo changed their guide format. The new format seems to have many features removed and is not, in my opinion, a very good one. I can't find much info on why these changes were made (looked at tivo forums), but its pretty disappointing
What change? Nothing has changed in formatting AFAICT. Note that TiVo allows you to choose between "TiVo Live Guide" or "TiVo Grid Guide" styles, so perhaps what you are referring to is a change in style in which case it's a user-selectable option.

post #7370 of 7397 Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:

What change? Nothing has changed in formatting AFAICT. Note that TiVo allows you to choose between "TiVo Live Guide" or "TiVo Grid Guide" styles, so perhaps what you are referring to is a change in style in which case it's a user-selectable option.

ok - it looks like the tivo got reset to SD menus rather than HD; there have been several times recently where the unit locked up and had to be unplugged to unlock it, so maybe in one of these cases the internal settings were affected. SD apparently has reduced functionality.

After resetting to HD menus everything works as before. Thanks.
post #7371 of 7397 Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I have another (completely unrelated) question: I still have 1 tv connected to Cox cable box and want to know why the tv always is tuned to channel 2 when I turn it on. There is a "power on" setting for the stb which has no effect (probably because the stb itself is never powered off). Is there any way to change the initial channel? It can't be a tv setting because the input source is the stb not the tv antenna or whatever.

Leave your cable box tuned to a non SDV channel when you turn your TV off (ESPN for example.) Your box tunes to a pre-set channel when you ignore the prompts after tuned to an SDV station for more than 4 hours. [It asks you "Hey...are you still there?" or similar.] If you don't answer, it tunes to a pre-determined non-SDV channel to save bandwidth. If you turn the bloody box off, this won't happen.
post #7372 of 7397 Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Leave your cable box tuned to a non SDV channel when you turn your TV off (ESPN for example.) Your box tunes to a pre-set channel when you ignore the prompts after tuned to an SDV station for more than 4 hours. [It asks you "Hey...are you still there?" or similar.] If you don't answer, it tunes to a pre-determined non-SDV channel to save bandwidth. If you turn the bloody box off, this won't happen.

thanks for the response, it makes some sense. Is there any easy way to determine what stations are non-SDV?
post #7373 of 7397 Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for the response, it makes some sense. Is there any easy way to determine what stations are non-SDV?

That depends on your threshold for "easy." With Passport, it can be determined in the diagnostic section. With Trio (Contour), I haven't found a way yet. Popular channels such as ESPN, USA, etc., are generally not SDV. HD less popular channels are more likely SDV.

Question: Why do you leave your "box" on 24/7 ??
post #7374 of 7397 Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:

That depends on your threshold for "easy." With Passport, it can be determined in the diagnostic section. With Trio (Contour), I haven't found a way yet. Popular channels such as ESPN, USA, etc., are generally not SDV. HD less popular channels are more likely SDV.

Its a complicated answer. I have a traditional vcr connected to the stb so that I can record movies; it has both HDD and DVD capabilities so I can record to HDD and then (eventually) copy to DVD. If I power the stb box off then the recorder doesn't get any signal. The stb is the older Motorola model which still has the ability to tune to specific channels using its timers which works fine as long as I'm around to set the timers. But when I am away from home for a few days or more, I run out of timers (there's only 8) so would like to be able to just leave the box tuned to the channel, which is usually TCM 68 as it has blocks of movies that I want to keep on dvd. For now, I guess I can set the timers with a frequency of "daily" and set them a few hours apart to cover the 24-hour period. That should work as long as the channel reset time interval is 3 hours or longer. The recorder can be programmed for the specific timeslots to record (it has a 32 program capacity).
post #7375 of 7397 Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Its a complicated answer. I have a traditional vcr connected to the stb so that I can record movies; it has both HDD and DVD capabilities so I can record to HDD and then (eventually) copy to DVD. If I power the stb box off then the recorder doesn't get any signal. The stb is the older Motorola model which still has the ability to tune to specific channels using its timers which works fine as long as I'm around to set the timers. But when I am away from home for a few days or more, I run out of timers (there's only 8) so would like to be able to just leave the box tuned to the channel, which is usually TCM 68 as it has blocks of movies that I want to keep on dvd. For now, I guess I can set the timers with a frequency of "daily" and set them a few hours apart to cover the 24-hour period. That should work as long as the channel reset time interval is 3 hours or longer. The recorder can be programmed for the specific timeslots to record (it has a 32 program capacity).

As far as I know, the SDV "timeout" length is at least 4 hours. I'm not familiar with the Motorola receiver, so I cannot suggest an alternative solution.
post #7376 of 7397 Old 03-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:

As far as I know, the SDV "timeout" length is at least 4 hours. I'm not familiar with the Motorola receiver, so I cannot suggest an alternative solution.

its an unusual situation, so hopefully the indicated approach will work. I keep the one older stb for this purpose as the newer Cisco units don't have the ability to change to a specific channel at a specific time - only to remind you to do so if you're watching, which isn't very helpful.

thanks again for the comments.
post #7377 of 7397 Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

its an unusual situation, so hopefully the indicated approach will work. I keep the one older stb for this purpose as the newer Cisco units don't have the ability to change to a specific channel at a specific time - only to remind you to do so if you're watching, which isn't very helpful.

thanks again for the comments.

If the only channels you record are analog - as is TCM 68 - why not use an external tuner. Like your DVD/HDD recorder tuner, or a standard VCR tuner?
post #7378 of 7397 Old 03-15-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:

If the only channels you record are analog - as is TCM 68 - why not use an external tuner. Like your DVD/HDD recorder tuner, or a standard VCR tuner?

I've tried that but using a splitter seems to give an inferior signal; however its a possible fallback as long as the channels being recorded are the analog ones.
post #7379 of 7397 Old 03-15-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I've tried that but using a splitter seems to give an inferior signal; however its a possible fallback as long as the channels being recorded are the analog ones.

Unless your incoming signal is extremely marginal, you should see very little difference using a 1->2 splitter, with no difference in your STB channels. It could be that the digital->analog signal from your STB's TCM 68 is much cleaner than your 100% analog TCM 68 signal.
post #7380 of 7397 Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

For those with TiVos can you check if you are getting proper guide listings for channel 1063? I have a wishlist for Clippers games and was wondering recently why no Clippers games were getting recording. On my Roamio Pro when I check channel 1063 the callsign is PRIMEHD and all the guide listings are "OFF AIR". When I look at zap2it.com I see the callsign is PRIMHD (without the E) and there are proper listings there. So it looks to me like the TiVo lineup is messed up for that channel.
(EDIT: I did submit a lineup change request with TiVo BTW but wanted to check here if others are seeing same problem)

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page