Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 248 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7411 of 7415 Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dropping analog content

It looks like Cox has started the process of dropping analog channels in some other markets in order to clear up bandwidth to be used for 1+ Gbps internet service using DOCSIS 3.1. Anyone know if Cox OC is planning on doing this anytime soon?

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7415 Old 03-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It looks like Cox has started the process of dropping analog channels in some other markets in order to clear up bandwidth to be used for 1+ Gbps internet service using DOCSIS 3.1. Anyone know if Cox OC is planning on doing this anytime soon?
Yes, gigabit Internet is planned for deployment before the end of the year. Last year they said end of last year but I guess it got delayed. There's currently only one apartment complex in Irvine that has the Gigablast.

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #7413 of 7415 Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnong View Post
I recently cut the Cox cable cord, and have been looking for a good digital HD indoor antenna so that I can just watch the OTA channels, but I'm running out of choices. I've tried several different ones, including ones that have good reviews. With all of them, I can get CBS (2), NBC (4) and KTLA (5). With none of them, except for the Winegard antennas, can I get ABC (7), KCAL (9), FOX (11) and KCOP (13). With the Winegards, I SOMETIMES can get ABC (7), KCAL (9), FOX (11) and KCOP (13) but only like one at a time, depending where I place the antenna around the room. Very sensitive. And on top of that the signal is very weak. Sometimes the I see pictures for a second or two and then the signal breaks apart. Very sad and frustrating.

The indoor HD antennas I've tried:

- RadioShack brand amped
- RCA brand nonAmped
- Winegard FL5500A
- Winegard FL55YR
- Some $90 amped antenna from RCA

I ended up having to return all of them. If any of you guys live in Irvine and use an indoor HD antenna that can pick up all the local OTA channels I've listed above, please share! I'm fine with any style of antenna (flat wave, rabbit ears, etc) as long as it's for indoors.

Here's the TV Signal Report I just ran at TVFool.com.
Do you have access to space in an attic? I'm on a hill in RSM and can get most of the L.A. channels, usually pretty stable but weather can affect it. I use a Channel Master 4228 (more of a UHF antenna) in my attic, with a CM7777 preamp. It was tricky to find the right spot, a few feet in any direction can make a big difference.
post #7414 of 7415 Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an full size old school roof antenna that I put in the attic. Make sure it's pointed to the OTA broadcast antenna. You can connect it to the distribution point where you disconnected your incoming cable from the cable company. You can also add an amplifier if needed. BTW, I used Google Earth to verify my line of sight & distance to the TV broadcast tower.
post #7415 of 7415 Old Today, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Had a lot of Cox Service Reps out for an intermittent pic /audio freezing issue over the past several weeks. Seemed better, started coming back over the week-end. Found out I am 3 Amps deep from the Fiber node, 3rd Amp is in my yard. They told me Cox has already started the Full Digital transition, and we will need a "Cable Box" for each TV. Transition will finish before the year end. Just saw the first local Cox commercial for it this week-end. It did mention Cable-card in the fine print, along with a special offer for the new small boxes. Gotta check it out next time it's on. More fees...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page