Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 7397 Old 09-30-2004, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tiling issue seems fixed in Irvine. I cant reproduce it either. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 7397 Old 09-30-2004, 04:24 PM

I have also long believed that zero length recordings were a result of the "Subscription Channel" bug.

Not sure about tiling being fixed as we've been going way out of our way to avoid touching transport buttons while recording or watching live TV.
I'll stress test it tonight and report my results. For the last two weeks the problem would occur if we even so much as thought about using ff/rw/pause or swapping while HD recording was in progress.(live buffer or regular recording)

Last night we had 4 shows at 8pm that needed watching/recording.
Ended up HD recording Hawaii & Lost.
Tivo'd Lost as a backup in case of above bugs.
Broke out an old VCR for Nova(son's school assignement).
Watched Smallville live via TV's tuner.

Good news:
Both Lost & Hawaii turned out fine, no tiling, and both recorded. Of course I took every possible precaution, pre-tuned both tuners to SD channels and then did not even look in the direction of the box or it's remote between 8 and 9. By pretuning to SD channels I decreased the chances of the tiling, but at the same time increased the chances of the dreaded "Subscription Channel"/zero length recording bug cascade.

It would be great if tiling was fixed. That and take care of "Subscription Channel", zero-length, guide holes, and I'd be left with only recording capacity to gripe and whine about.
post #723 of 7397 Old 09-30-2004, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tiresius
It would be great if tiling was fixed. That and take care of "Subscription Channel", zero-length, guide holes, and I'd be left with only recording capacity to gripe and whine about.

Don't forget about 30-second skip (or lack thereof)
post #724 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tiling bug is still there. Again it came back shortly after I rebooted to fix the increasingly annoying Guide Hole bug. The Guide Hole bug is really becoming very frustrating - I end up unplugging the unit every 2 days to force guide re-load. Video Guy seems to have dissapeared and Cox tech support does not seem to be supplying useful info via emails anymore. Anyone have recent feedback from Cox regarding these issues?

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #725 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM

It seems that pixellation problem is 10 times better - they must have done something. I still get it slightly, but much less frequently, and I really have to try to make it happen. I'll spend some more time this weekend, but I'm pleased (and somewhat surprised) that this seems to be getting fixed.

Moyekj, you seem to get the missing guide problem more than others. I've only seen it twice so far on my box. Perhaps you should try a swap.
post #726 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 10:22 AM

That's weird. I'm in the Irvine area as well. This morning I was able to reproduce the problem, easily. Tune both tuners to HD channels, pause one. The other goes haywire instantly... I would go so far to say it's not *as bad* but it's still obvious (the garbled lines).

-T
post #727 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sucha deal!
Moyekj, you seem to get the missing guide problem more than others. I've only seen it twice so far on my box. Perhaps you should try a swap.

I wonder if it's related to the fact I usually leave the box powered off when I'm not using it (not unplugged, just powered off). I'm not even sure that powering off the 6412 really does anything useful - I was hoping the unit wouldn't buffer both tuners to disk when powered off, but it seems like it does so anyway. For those of you not having too many Guide Hole problems do you normally leave the 6412 powered up? For those that do have frequent Guide Hole problems do you leave the 6412 powered off? The problem must have something to do with the internal cable-modem communication with the mothership.

post #728 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 10:44 AM

I've had guide hole problems off and on.....I usually power it off when I'm not using it. I got used to doing that with my old Tivo because when its powered off, it records its suggestions instead of just blindly buffering whatever you left the channel on. I have no idea that this box is doing though when its off....I mean, I know it still records stuff in its schedule, but what the live tuners are doing, I don't know.
post #729 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 10:56 AM

I haven't had any guide holes, subscription errors, 0-length recordings or major tiling problems since Wednesday. I do get occasional intermittent tiling that lasts 1 second, then disappears. This happens maybe once a minute on average. It's not perfect, and I'm not saying all the above-mentioned problems are fixed (it will take more time to determine that), but to me it looks promising.

One other problem I've noticed that I've never seen mentioned before, is that the red light doesn't always come on the box when it's recording. I set it to record the Presidential debate last night. I got home around 6:45pm and immediately looked at the box to see if the debate was recording. No red light! But sure enough, it was being recorded on the inactive tuner. They need to fix that, because I'm tired of getting a heart attack thinking important programs aren't recording.
post #730 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Red light always had worked for me.
I always turn the box off when not in use.

Maybe Cox is not releasing the updates to everyone at once, hence some still having problems. Perhaps someone can post the firmware/software level (I'm at work). If you haven't received the latest rev, you should be able to call Cox to download it.

The channels that are currently tuned to, even when the box is off, gets recorded in the buffer, from the beginning of the program. As soon as you change channels, the buffer gets cleared. So when you first turn on the box, you might want to check if there is something worthwhile on the two channels that you last left it on. If so, you can rewind and watch, or save the entire show by hitting the record button. Pretty cool. Make sure you keep the box at its default setting of "last channel when power up".
post #731 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 12:59 PM

It's not a firmware/software upgrade. Cox is making changes to their headend equipment so that it handles HD channels in a way that's compatible with the DVR. Video Guy has stated that we won't see a firmware upgrade until the beginning of November at the earliest, because of the amount of time required for testing.
post #732 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gb61
Video Guy has stated that we won't see a firmware upgrade until the beginning of November at the earliest, because of the amount of time required for testing.

Imagine how long it would take if they really did any meaningful testing Sorry, couldn't resist... but given the severity of some of the bugs with this and the previous firmware, and how quickly they were discovered by many customers, it just boggles my mind how they ever passed any QA tests. The only thing I can think of is all tests were run using SD analog channels only.

post #733 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moyekj
I wonder if it's related to the fact I usually leave the box powered off when I'm not using it (not unplugged, just powered off). I'm not even sure that powering off the 6412 really does anything useful - I was hoping the unit wouldn't buffer both tuners to disk when powered off, but it seems like it does so anyway. For those of you not having too many Guide Hole problems do you normally leave the 6412 powered up? For those that do have frequent Guide Hole problems do you leave the 6412 powered off? The problem must have something to do with the internal cable-modem communication with the mothership.

Let me tell you what I've noticed.. and my experience with the NO DATA guide hole...

I always power off (not unplug, just power off like you).

I noticed something yesterday night, was when I hit the DAY+ button it would immediately list "NO DATA" while reading data or waiting for data, then fill in the data a split second later. If I hit DAY+ twice really quickly, the day in the middle would have a NO DATA hole. So maybe.. if while it's reading in guide data from the mother ship and you advance to another day, it locks in whatever it read (NO DATA) for that time slot and doesn't go back to the mothership to re-get the data.

-T
post #734 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

neyugnt, this observation is very similar to what Steve Wilcox reported a couple of pages back in this thread, and there's definately something to it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...28#post4412128

However, I've left the Guide alone for a few days without using DAY+ button to look ahead in the schedule and still end up getting holes, so there are other factors causing the problem in addition to the above.

Has anyone figured out a good way to reboot the box without unplugging it? It's getting really old reaching behind the entertainment center and finding the right plug to pull every couple of days to fix this Guide Hole problem. I'm sure there must be a way to reboot from the box without unplugging. For those that used to have the 6200 box what was the way to do it?

post #735 of 7397 Old 10-01-2004, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Has anyone figured out a good way to reboot the box without unplugging it? It's getting really old reaching behind the entertainment center and finding the right plug to pull every couple of days to fix this Guide Hole problem. I'm sure there must be a way to reboot from the box without unplugging. For those that used to have the 6200 box what was the way to do it?

Clap On(clap clap) Clap Off(clap clap)
post #736 of 7397 Old 10-02-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

For the last 2-3 days, navigating through the guide has been more sluggish than before for me. It used to be a bit faster, especially going right or left through it.

Rich
post #737 of 7397 Old 10-02-2004, 12:46 PM

Last night I lost the guide (until 4:00 am) and I couldn't get it back even after unplugging and plugging the box back in. I had it unplugged for about 2 minutes. Is there any trick to getting the guide back?
post #738 of 7397 Old 10-02-2004, 10:17 PM

For me, just unplugging and plugging it back in fixes the guide "no data" issue. No other trick that I know of.

Chris
post #739 of 7397 Old 10-02-2004, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still very much getting the video tiling bug. It looks better than before, but still pretty bad. I posted some snapshots of recordings with the bug in the 6412 thread - this link takes you directly to my post there:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...24#post4442124

If you run into the problem please post yours over there too. As far as the Guide Hole bug, rebooting has worked for me thus far.

post #740 of 7397 Old 10-04-2004, 01:48 PM

Video tiling is back for me as well, although not nearly as bad as before. I get about 2 or 3 tiling errors per minute, and very rarely does the sound break up anymore. While this is much better than before, it is still unacceptable. Subscription and guide hole bugs are still there as well, although I have been lucky and have not had any 0-length recordings for a week. The guide hole bug definitely seems to be related to paging ahead to the "no data" days. It's as if the box thinks that you have already downloaded the data for those time slots, just because you viewed them already (when they were showing "no data"). I can get around this problem simply by being very careful when browsing ahead in the program guide.
post #741 of 7397 Old 10-04-2004, 07:53 PM

Anyone else lose all of their recordings plus their series and future recordings?

I have now completely lost everything three times in a week. I'm starting to think that have a bad hard drive or a bad update.

I wish they would activate the USB port for external hard drives.
post #742 of 7397 Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Sydor25
Anyone else lose all of their recordings plus their series and future recordings?

I have now completely lost everything three times in a week. I'm starting to think that have a bad hard drive or a bad update.

I wish they would activate the USB port for external hard drives.

Didn't lose recording setups, but got a couple 0-minute recordings. Video Guy explained in other thread that USB ports will NOT be used for external hard drive space since there is no standard encryption protocols for that interface - much more likely one of the firewire ports w/ 5C protection will be used. Also, I think I remember seeing those USB ports are 1.x, so wouldn't have the horsepower for handling HD recordings anyway. In fact, you can extract recordings off the 6412 to a PC/laptop using Firewire port today already (in real time only - go back several pages for my post on that).

post #743 of 7397 Old 10-05-2004, 12:26 PM

I need to ask a question regarding the installation fee (30+ bucks). When I originally called to get the DVR, I was not told that I could do the quick-connect (they send you the new box via UPS, and you bring back your old one). In fact I recall being told I had to pay the installation charge or no new box. Now I've read many people being able to do the quick-connect and waiving the install fee. Do you know of anywhere I can call to argue about this? The guy that came to do the install knew less about the DVR than I did, left my switcher hanging by its cables, and smelled of cigarettes...

-T
post #744 of 7397 Old 10-05-2004, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neyugnt
I need to ask a question regarding the installation fee (30+ bucks). When I originally called to get the DVR, I was not told that I could do the quick-connect (they send you the new box via UPS, and you bring back your old one). In fact I recall being told I had to pay the installation charge or no new box. Now I've read many people being able to do the quick-connect and waiving the install fee. Do you know of anywhere I can call to argue about this? The guy that came to do the install knew less about the DVR than I did, left my switcher hanging by its cables, and smelled of cigarettes...

-T

From what I recall, the UPS quick-connect option for the 6412 was available only for customers that already had the 6200 box and subscribed to HD service and had signed up for DVR service... but that was a while ago when 6412 was first available, perhaps the circumstances have changed now especially given all the problems customers are having with the 6412. At this point the 6200 looks like the better box to have...

post #745 of 7397 Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 PM

Quote:
From what I recall, the UPS quick-connect option for the 6412 was available only for customers that already had the 6200 box and subscribed to HD service and had signed up for DVR service... but that was a while ago when 6412 was first available, perhaps the circumstances have changed now especially given all the problems customers are having with the 6412. At this point the 6200 looks like the better box to have...

I was one of the first customers to have the 6200 box/HD service. I was one of the first customers to sign up for the 6412 DVR service. I was one of the first customers to get "the phone call" for the DVR service, and I was one of the first customers to get the DVR installed (installer in fact said I was his first 6412 install).

Just got my bill so I'm curious to know if any of you can point me to someone who might listen to my gripe.

-T
post #746 of 7397 Old 10-05-2004, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got off the phone with Cox OC tech support. The CSR I talked to claimed that all Cox OC 6412 PVR owners will automatically get a credit on their account essentially waiving monthly fees associated with 6412 PVR since the box is not working right. He was very vague as to the details of what charges exactly will be waived. I'll have to see it to believe it. He also said they are very much aware that the video tiling problem is still there after the headend fix and that only a software update to the 6412 will fix the remaining problems. He refused to give any estimate as to when that software update would roll out. I didn't get a warm fuzzy talking to him and had to literally pry the little information I got out of him. He also said it's against Cox policies for them to participate in any online forums and was very surprised when I mentioned VideooooGuy from Atlanta.

post #747 of 7397 Old 10-05-2004, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the update, moyekj. I just called Cox's billing department and the rep also said that he would waive the charges, but didn't say it would be an across-the-board, automatic credit. I would recommend that everyone call in individually to make sure the charges get credited or waived until the equipment works properly. This is the fair thing for Cox to do. I already said in a previous post that they should not release the 6412 to anybody else until these problems are resolved.

The rep was very nice, but he had no idea (nor did he care) of anything technical. Ironically, he couldn't look up my account because their "system was down".
post #748 of 7397 Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 PM

I seem to be having the most trouble.

Has anyone else had a SD program not play from the hard drive? I recorded Gilmour Girls and now it won't replay from the hard drive. It starts to stutter and then just goes blank. If I use the swap button I can usually get the program to start playing again, but it only plays for 30 seconds at a time.

Anyone else experience this? I'm starting to think that my hard drive is corrupted or something.

Also, do you guys tend to get more help with e-mail or phone calls? I tend to have better luck with getting relevant information through e-mails. I have yet to reach a knowledgeable person over the phone.

I have sent an extremely long e-mail outlining the problems that I have experienced. I'll let you know what the response from Cox is when I get it.
post #749 of 7397 Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sydor25
...Anyone else experience this? I'm starting to think that my hard drive is corrupted or something.

Also, do you guys tend to get more help with e-mail or phone calls? I tend to have better luck with getting relevant information through e-mails. I have yet to reach a knowledgeable person over the phone.

I have sent an extremely long e-mail outlining the problems that I have experienced. I'll let you know what the response from Cox is when I get it.

I'd call them, they'll almost certainly have to send out a tech to give you a new box and you're probably not going to find it easy to set up an appointment time via email... much easier by phone.
post #750 of 7397 Old 10-06-2004, 05:41 PM

Does anyone else think that HBO-HD has gotten worse recently? Almost every movie seems to be way too compressed. Most of the time the DVD looks much better, especially action movies. Showtime-HD and INHD don't have as many compression artifacts as HBO-HD.

Do you guys agree?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page