Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #7471 of 7488 Old 10-30-2015, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
I have the Non-Cisco Mini box installed. I haven't had a program guide on it for over a week. Re-booted it several times, still doesn't work. It did work for about a week. Anyone else have this issue??? Thanx
I have non-Cisco mini box and it shows the guide data. When first installed (several months ago) it did intermittently lose the guide data but, in those cases, unplugging for a few minutes and then plugging back in and doing the rescan cleared up the problem. Lately it has not lost the guide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7488 Old 11-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Tried the un-plug several times and even dis-connected over-night. Still no guide, for the last several weeks...
post #7473 of 7488 Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can verify that Cox in Irvine, California, has now switched off all clear QAM signals. (All QAM signals are now encrypted, and require at the very least one of their mini-boxes, or a cable card.)
post #7474 of 7488 Old 01-06-2016, 03:09 PM

CC now works!

sometime in the last couple of months there must have been an update to the Contour system, as now the CC button on the Contour remote actually works, can be used to turn on/off CC rather than having to go through the multiple step menu system. (I don't use it every day, so not sure when this happened, but its sure a convenience if you go between CC on and off.)
post #7475 of 7488 Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bitrate / Bandwidth for video picture quality

Are there any Cox techs involved in this forum?

Long story short, I can recall video picture quality going down shortly before Cox doubled the internet speeds, which was early 2015 for me in the Irvine, CA area. I lived with it, but wasn't happy (I watch a lot of sports, mostly NBA ball).

The picture quality finally came back up and was very noticeably better January of this year 2016, which I believe is right after they decommissioned the analog stuff, giving them a lot of their network capabilities back into the mix.

For whatever reason, Cox has decided to already F around with the video picture quality again, and its worse than ever. Not only am I now noticing it on NBA / sports, I can see it movement on more general TV show viewing.

I have multiple HDTV's and boxes, have replaced cables, swapped, tested, etc. I'm a long time techie and IT guy, know what I'm doing, and am very in tune with my HDTV's and their picture settings and quality.

Is there anything I can do that will make a difference with feedback to Cox? I unfortunately cannot switch to another provider where I am living right now. It really irks me that they are delivering such a subpar quality, because I know they can deliver a much better feed / throughput on the video for HDTV channels.

Thanks

Last edited by RiGoR; 03-01-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #7476 of 7488 Old 03-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

I concur and am seeing the exact same issues. The picture quality got noticeably better for a short while, but now seems to have regressed. The Network Ch's have gotten noticeably worse as have the Sports and Movie Ch's. Maybe it has something to do with Cox bringing on their New Super Speed Intanet connection?? Gigabit??
post #7477 of 7488 Old 03-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I concur and am seeing the exact same issues. The picture quality got noticeably better for a short while, but now seems to have regressed. The Network Ch's have gotten noticeably worse as have the Sports and Movie Ch's. Maybe it has something to do with Cox bringing on their New Super Speed Intanet connection?? Gigabit??
I believe I had heard Cox was building out a separate network for the incoming Gigabit internet, but I'm not positive. Honestly, I already get something like 100 Mbit internet anyway, and can download everything very fast... bring the damn picture quality back up to par Cox!

I don't normally call to complain, as I feel it just is going to fall on deaf ears anyway. But it's at the point where I'm really PO'd because I'm pretty certain they have the overall bandwidth to deliver the higher quality picture. They are just putting too much compression and/or too low of a bitrate for the video feed.

What do they think is going to be acceptable picture quality in several more years when 4K-HDR starts to become more and more into the mix?

Last edited by RiGoR; 03-03-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #7478 of 7488 Old 03-03-2016, 04:23 AM

tuning problem

I have had the following problem with contour in the last few weeks:

Often when I tune to a station in the 1xxx range (eg 1017) I get a message that it requires a subscription (even though it doesn't) and no picture. But, if I tune to the corresponding non-HD version (eg 17) and then press the A button on the remote to "view in HD" it comes in fine. (But if, instead of pressing A, I just press LAST, I still get the error message). Just curious if others have had this "problem".
post #7479 of 7488 Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

So not only has the picture and sound de-graded recently but now I am getting a constant "Black Screen" when changing channels. The channels don't always come back either. Also noticed several "not available" channels recently, Prime Ticket for a Duck game and NHL Network for another live game.
Several months back I had stuttering, freezing Video and Audio drop-outs on many HD Channels. I'm seeing it again on both Cable and Network Channels. Very poor quality and consistency. Anyone else seeing these issues??? Thanx
post #7480 of 7488 Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So not only has the picture and sound de-graded recently but now I am getting a constant "Black Screen" when changing channels. The channels don't always come back either. Also noticed several "not available" channels recently, Prime Ticket for a Duck game and NHL Network for another live game.
Several months back I had stuttering, freezing Video and Audio drop-outs on many HD Channels. I'm seeing it again on both Cable and Network Channels. Very poor quality and consistency. Anyone else seeing these issues??? Thanx
I have had issues with Fox when trying to watch Angels and hockey games too. Did not have these issues before, just lately. I get channel not available with a Cox screen now too sometimes when going to Fox sports channels (1063, 1064). Not sure what is going on.
post #7481 of 7488 Old 03-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone notice that the feed quality COX is providing is continually getting worse year over year?

I recently picked up a new larger panel and it really reminded me how horrible the overall COX HD feeds are when comparing to OTA. I did an experiment...HBO Go app streaming content vs HBO HD feed east & west. The PQ was much better via the app...same story with Showtime Anytime.

I'm starting to ponder canceling cable since OTA picture quality is vastly superior...as is the premium content app content. I'm wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge...positive or negative results?
post #7482 of 7488 Old 04-02-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Does anyone have the Contour2 box? How is it?
post #7483 of 7488 Old 04-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
Anyone notice that the feed quality COX is providing is continually getting worse year over year?

I recently picked up a new larger panel and it really reminded me how horrible the overall COX HD feeds are when comparing to OTA. I did an experiment...HBO Go app streaming content vs HBO HD feed east & west. The PQ was much better via the app...same story with Showtime Anytime.

I'm starting to ponder canceling cable since OTA picture quality is vastly superior...as is the premium content app content. I'm wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge...positive or negative results?
Switched to Direct Tv last year after multiple box failures and price increase. Picture quality is superior in every way over Cox which I had for 15 years. Can't speak for OTA since reception is poor in my area.

post #7484 of 7488 Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a TiVo XL, and my machine got reset last night from the Irvine lineup to a generic OC lineup. At least one channel (WGNAmerica) now has the wrong feed.

Has anyone else seen this today?
post #7485 of 7488 Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I have a TiVo XL, and my machine got reset last night from the Irvine lineup to a generic OC lineup. At least one channel (WGNAmerica) now has the wrong feed.

Has anyone else seen this today?
You may find many channels with East data when you have the West/Pacific feed. along with missing channels.

Report discrepancies here, https://www.tivo.com/lineup.html

See the following:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542730
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542752
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542760
Dong-Kinh likes this.

TiVo Bolt, Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 08-25-2016 at 07:49 PM.
post #7486 of 7488 Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 AM

Contour Issues

When I tune to a channel from the Contour guide screen I almost always get the message that it is not available without a subscription. But if I then return to LAST channel via remote control and then push LAST again the channel will be viewable. This is annoying.
post #7487 of 7488 Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
You may find many channels with East data when you have the West/Pacific feed. along with missing channels.

Report discrepancies here, https://www.tivo.com/lineup.html

See the following:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542730
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542752
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542760
Thanks, Bryan. What a mess.
post #7488 of 7488 Old Today, 05:18 PM

Contour mixed up

anyone else notice the bizarre descriptions this afternoon on the contour guide?

here is photo of "Meet the Robinsons" on 1286
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2298.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1628633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception