Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mroll
ESPN-HD has both original HD programming and upconverted regular programming. Check their website for what's on ESPN-HD at any given time.

Can NBC do this? That would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 09:34 AM

I've have my HD COX install set up for 18 July and I have a couple questions:

I'm purchasing a Fujitsu P50XHA10US Plasma but it might not be delivered in time for the 18th install date. Meaning Cox would have to hook it up to my non-HD TV. Is this a "big" deal? Who will probably do the better set-up anyway: Cox or the place I buy the Plasma from?

Any recommendations for Plasma purchases in Orange County? Specifically for price.

Thanks
post #63 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Setting up is not really that hard. Either can do it - or you can if you're so inclined.

If you already know that you want the P50, why wouldn't it be delivered by July 18? You're buying one of the most expensive plasmas, buy you want a recommendation specifically for price? My Dad got a decent price on the 42 inch Fujitsu at Reel Time in Dana Point. Send me a PM if you want more advice in dealing with Reel Time.

Ron
post #64 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 04:34 PM

[quote]Originally posted by NEWNEW
Meaning Cox would have to hook it up to my non-HD TV. Is this a "big" deal?

Newnew-

As far as I know your SOL with hooking up Moto 5100 to non HD TV. I suppose you could have the Tech just leave the box. I get the feeling that's not going to happen either.

Robert:
post #65 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 05:54 PM

The user manual linked to at the beginning of this thread shows you can set the box for 480i output for HD channels. That would work with a standard TV, wouldn't it?
post #66 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. He'll be fine. But when he gets the P50, WOW!!!!

Ron
post #67 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. The only thing that's got me on the fence now is the announcement of the new Pioneer Elite PRO-1110HD 50" due out this fall. I saw the current Pioneer Elite sitting next to the Fujitsu P50 with the same signal and I actually like the Elite a little better. BUT I figured that the Elite must have been optimally set-up and the P50 basically just out of the box. The P50 is newer technology so it "should" have a bit better PQ than the older Elite, at least one would think so.

Thanks Turt, I'll send you a PM.
post #68 of 7407 Old 06-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

The P50 and the Elite are very close. It may be just personal preference as to which one you like better. Keep in mind that many on avs (including myself) have the pioneer 503cmx which is basically the same as the elite for thousands less.

Brand Specific Plasma Info

Ron
post #69 of 7407 Old 06-28-2003, 04:24 AM

Cox has posted a manual for their HDTV box. It's REALLY crappy, so keep them expectations nice and low...

http://www.cox.com/OC/HDTV/COX-OC_HDTV_Manual1.pdf

Mike

Hello World!
post #70 of 7407 Old 06-28-2003, 09:46 PM

The on-screen guide is available on all the video outputs, with 1080i HD setting, and 480i for non-HD. Some of the documentation seemed to suggest it would only be available on the component output.

The documentation also mentions variable audio out, and suggests setting at 75% as a starting point. I find there are only 2 settings: on or off. At zero bars it's muted, and from 1 bar to 32 bars it's at the same volume. I have both the digital optical and analog audio outputs connected. Does anyone get a different result with their box?
post #71 of 7407 Old 06-28-2003, 11:35 PM

I figured out my audio-out question: The volume controls the analog audio out, but not the digital.

I'm using a 49TXi receiver. It detects what kind of digital audio signal it receives, and displays it: Prologic, THX Ultra, etc. This worked fine with the digital box, but with the HDTV box, every station from 2 to 7xx shows the same thing, Dolby PrologicII. Is the HDTV box not passing on the info, or has it all been converted to one format, or what?
post #72 of 7407 Old 06-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a menu setting on the 5100 for digital audio? Make sure it's set to bitstream and not downconvert.

Ron
post #73 of 7407 Old 06-28-2003, 11:55 PM

Had HD installed today. Tech needed to install pre-amp at main cable box. Too many splitters, connections,TV's,Computers etc. ]
I liked the look of the all black DT box better.
HD seems about as good as the OTA HD I already get. I'm surprised. I was under the impression that cable HD would not hold it's own to OTA. I still need to tweak the new input with avia. The analog channels at first were really out of whack. I checked the settings and all my menu settings had gone to a factory default. Jaggy's and snow everywhere. I hope that I can tweak analog enough to be watchable.
I suppose there is always a direct connection to my receiver on another input?. ESPN HD audio is way out of line. When I switch to 715 the volume goes way up. I wonder If there is a fix for that?

Robert
post #74 of 7407 Old 06-29-2003, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by robhair
[b]ESPN HD audio is way out of line. When I switch to 715 the volume goes way up. I wonder If there is a fix for that./B]

Channel 715 volume is much higher than other HDTV channels. Cox will have to change it on their end.

Good news for those using programmable remotes: The HDTV box uses the same remote the digital box did, so you don't need to change anything.
post #75 of 7407 Old 06-29-2003, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cox now has the full information (and an 800 number to call) on HD installation, pricing etc. on their website. What I didn't realize previously is that you have to have the $52 package (standard service plus digital tier) to get the HD receiver (another $10). I was hoping to just add the HD service to the basic $16/mo. service. Since there's no way I can stand to watch their crappy analog channels anymore, I guess I won't be dumping DirecTv for Cox anytime soon. Time to look into OTA again.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #76 of 7407 Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mine is up and running....nothing earth shattering so far...need the room darker (baby trashed blinds...lots of afternoon sun escapes into room) but I have one problem. The 5100 has one set of Sound outputs (Component/RCA) but my TV needs seperate ones for each input (AV1 for DTV, AV5 for HD) so I'm looking for a Cable that splits one end into two, other wise it's a switch which I'm trying to avoid.

I'm guessing most of the ESPN is not HD? Looks stretched and no better then NBC when I saw some Tennis on each this morning.....

JET
post #77 of 7407 Old 06-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mroll
Cox now has the full information (and an 800 number to call) on HD installation, pricing etc. on their website. What I didn't realize previously is that you have to have the $52 package (standard service plus digital tier) to get the HD receiver (another $10). I was hoping to just add the HD service to the basic $16/mo. service. Since there's no way I can stand to watch their crappy analog channels anymore, I guess I won't be dumping DirecTv for Cox anytime soon. Time to look into OTA again.

Getting my DirecTV this week. $33.99/mo. + $10 for the HD package starting July 1st. On Sunday I got the Zenith 520 Receiver, triple lnb dish, and installation for $550. Since I haven't cancelled the cable yet, I ran the feed through the Zenith instead of Cox's DCT 2000. The picture is a fair amount better, I swear.

You can't get OTA, huh Mike? I stuck a radio shack antenna in my attic and I get everything.: I'm high on the hill off Camino Del Cerro. Location, location, location...

Quote:

I'm guessing most of the ESPN is not HD? Looks stretched and no better then NBC when I saw some Tennis on each this morning.....

It looks like ESPN averages less than one HD show per day. ESPN-HD

In 2004, SportsCenter is slated to be HD along with more events, of course.

Ron
post #78 of 7407 Old 07-01-2003, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched a few days of HBO-HD. On some movies, it looks great. On Attack of the Clones last night, some scenes were sharp and others were not (but it could have been the original film). I now understand the raging debate of OAR - the movie was zoomed in a bit and the sides were cut off.

The S-video output on the premium channels is very good. However, it is very bad on the analog channels (e.g. 2-13). Those look much worse than the older cable box. I will use the VCR's tuner to watch those with my projector.

Also, on the HD channels, the guide looks a bit worse (blocky letters).

On Saturday night, the digital audio on NBC was "pulsating". I switched to the analog channel.

The tech did tell me that quality can vary day by day, and that this is just an interim solution for Cox. He mentioned that only 1900 boxes were allocated for this deployment and that they are facing bandwidth issues. He did confirm that they are working on a PVR-integrated solution.

Rich
post #79 of 7407 Old 07-03-2003, 11:56 AM

Got mine installed yesterday..

Bummed at the lack of HD content on ESPN-HD. Discovery-HD seems repetitive. Some of the Discovery shows look mind-blowing, others merely "somewhat" better than regular digital cable.

The HD stuff on HBO looks really, really good.

Good deal on the cable box: The component outputs only drive 1080i on the HD channels. If you switch to an analog or standard digital channel, they drop down to 480i output, so for people like me with a plasma or CRT rear projection set, you don't need to worry about black bars on the sides and not being able to stretch the picture.

Andrew
post #80 of 7407 Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by turt

You can't get OTA, huh Mike? I stuck a radio shack antenna in my attic and I get everything.: I'm high on the hill off Camino Del Cerro. Location, location, location...

Ron, do you get SD or LA channels (or both)? I think I might have a shot at LA channels The nearest obstrution is a ridgeline about a mile away. According to antennaweb, a medium directional with preamp should work (plus I can buy one at cost )

Does anyone have a recommendation for an antenna installer in O.C.?

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #81 of 7407 Old 07-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mike,

I get the LA stations. No rotator necessary and, as I said, it's even in the attic which surprised me. I didn't think it would work and was not looking forward to spending the cash for an installer. I don't know of any to recommend.

I got the Radio Shack 2160 antenna on the advice of Gary Goodrum. The RS 1171 preamp works fine. You have to have power near the antenna though. It needs to be placed within 20 feet of the antenna (according to Gary) and it has an ac adapter plug. Otherwise the Channel Master 7775 preamp will work.

Ron
post #82 of 7407 Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ron. I think I'll give it a shot.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #83 of 7407 Old 07-04-2003, 11:33 AM

Has anyone had any trouble with ESPNHD? Twice now, both times before MLB the screen has gone black. The other HD channels are fine. Last week before the Cubs game it happened. I had Cox on the phone 4 times that day. I even had to set up a Tech visit. Right before the game it came back on, I canceled the visit. This morning at 10:00 ESPNHD went black again. Analog ESPN is fine. I set up a STB switch-out for Monday.

Robert
post #84 of 7407 Old 07-04-2003, 12:26 PM

Robert I am also having a BLACK screen on ESPN-HD. What's the deal??? This is BS.

-T
post #85 of 7407 Old 07-04-2003, 02:32 PM

Had my box installed yesterday. The installation was a bear... the installer tried three different boxes, fiddled with some stuff outside, added and amplifier, and changed out all of the coax. In the end it turned out to be something wrong with the signal they were sending from the office to the box for programming. Gotta hand it to the installer... he stuck with it until it was done... and on the evening before a holiday weekend.

Also noticed that the digital audio out is not set up for dd by default so you need to check your settings in the setup menu to make sure that it is set to pass the dd signal.

lish

The superfluous, a very necessary thing.
post #86 of 7407 Old 07-04-2003, 07:35 PM

T-
Thanks for the reply. I got the signal back an hour or so later. It must be ESPN feed? I'll ask at a San Diego forum I know of and see if they also lost ESPN.

Robert
post #87 of 7407 Old 07-04-2003, 10:26 PM

Yep Robert, the feed came back on a while later...

Wasn't too impressed w/ ESPN-HD picture quality... I've seen much better OTA via CBS. While others would say just be happy it's in HD and not SD, I would say if everyone took that attitude we'd probably still be in the dark ages.

-T
post #88 of 7407 Old 07-07-2003, 02:18 PM

The one complaint I have about ESPN-HD is the lack of HD content. It's almost always SD stuff that's upscaled. Last night they had the Dodgers/Diamondbacks game on which was clearly HD and looked excellent.

One thing that sucks about their baseball HD broadcasts - I don't like how the ESPN score display in the upper left is formatted for 4:3 - on a 16:9 picture it's too close to the center of the screen and distracting.
post #89 of 7407 Old 07-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Next year Sports Center will be HD. I've yet to catch the little HD that ESPN currently has, and NBC for me is a no big deal...Leno looks fantastic, but I see it only on Fridays (get up at 4am) and don't watch much of their other programming(you'd think SatLive would be HD also?)...I NEED CBS/ABC/Fox(HD in '04)....

DiscoveryHD is brilliant! The Flying over Ireland blew me away! Last night a great show on Sharks, some of the footage even had the wife commenting on it finally. (though she did joke about HD Bubbles...LOL!)

HBO/SHO...good but not great...could be the material I'm watching but not much wow factor. I need to run a DVD-HD slit screen comparo sometime...

And why do they have so much in 4:3? They are supposed to be 24H HD, and HD by definition is Widesreen. Not happy with that so far....

JET
post #90 of 7407 Old 07-07-2003, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

JET,

Some of the movies on HBO/SHOW have been quite good (Panic Room, Stuart Little 2, etc.) I viewed them on my 34" 16:9 HDTV and the picture looked like film! NBC has little interesting content.

Showtime seems to upconvert a lot and older movies look pretty bad.

Sometimes, both HBO-HD and Showtime-HD have a lot of short, uninteresting programs in prime time and HD movies late at night (or early am). That's frustrating for sure!

Here's what puzzles me - the same movie on a standard digital channel has Dolby Digital but the HD one does not (in fact, the trailer at the beginning on the movie says 5.1 audio "not available on HBO-HD." What's up with this?? Do I have to chose between audio or video?

Rich
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page