Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 7407 Old 07-08-2003, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had Tech scheduled 4-6 to replace moto5100 box. He got some sort of high voltage shock when he was outside the house at the my cable box. He turned out to be non HDTV experienced, some sort of paperwork error. Could the amp that they hooked up when they originally installed 5100 have caused higher voltages to flow through cable? Someone else is coming Sat. to replace 5100.
Last Night I was having audio problems with all of Cox's HDTV stations. Did anyone else experience this? Tech thinks box might have short.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7407 Old 07-08-2003, 09:01 AM

Robert,

Don't know about the voltage, but I was having audio problems with NBC last night... all others seemed ok.

Lish

The superfluous, a very necessary thing.
post #93 of 7407 Old 07-08-2003, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lish
I was having audio problems with NBC last night... all others seemed ok.
Lish

Since getting a 5100 box, I've noticed the volume on various channels (analog, digital, and HD) is varying all over the place. I have to turn my amp way up to hear channel X, then when I switch to channel Y I'm blasted from my chair. It's not consistent, either, which is why I'm not mentioning specific channels. That might suggest Cox is fiddling with it, I guess.
post #94 of 7407 Old 07-08-2003, 01:05 PM

I've noticed the varying volume problem as well... but last night there was no audio at all on 704 (NBC) for about 2 hours. Not that big of a problem considering the lack of decent content on NBC.

Anybody heard anything about when channels will be added to the lineup?

The superfluous, a very necessary thing.
post #95 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

I too was noticing the volume jumping up and down a lot, specially on 334 OLN (Le Tour) but it's gotten better lately.

FYI, I emailed TitanTV Monday, they were not showing HD for Cox yet. I gave them the details and he showed me how to customize it for my use.

Quote:

TitanTV receives its programming information from an outside data provider. I will forward the information about Cox Cable's new HD channels to our data provider so they can add it to the channel lineup.

For now I would use TitanTV's customization feature to add the new channels to your Digital Cable guide page so you could begin seeing their channels' programming information immediately.

Here is how to add those channels to your guide page, if you wish to do so.

- Go to the Digital Cable guide page and click the green Customize My Guide
button near the top right corner of the page.

- This takes you to a page listing all the channels you're receiving from
Cox Cable.

- In the Channel # field, enter 700 and HBOHD in the Call Sign field then
click the Add button.

- Repeat the above step with the channel numbers that correspond to each of
these call signs: KNBCDT, ESPNHD, D-HDTV, SHOHD. (704, 715, 721, and 740 respectfully)

When finished, click the Save Changes button. The new channels and their
programming will appear when you return to the Digital Cable guide.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Let me know if you have any
other questions or comments.

Ken Nelson
Technical Services
Decisionmark Corp.
Cedar Rapids, IA

And it works! Shows some of the current SHO movies are not HD, thats interesting!

JET
post #96 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Further TitanTV info:

Quote:

The new HD channels should begin appearing by default in the next couple of days once our data provider adds them to Cox Cable's lineup. Their turnaround time on modifications to the lineups as been running two or three days recently.

Once that happens, the new channels may be duplicated in your guide since you've manually added them. There's no harm in leaving them there, but if you'd like to get rid of them, just click their box in the Remove column.

JET
post #97 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Now that's I'm hooked up I have two rants and one question...

Rant#1:
I paid $50 for an installer to spend 12 minutes in my house. That's the equivalent of $250/hr. Hell, even plumbers charge less than that! I know they had to charge a lot because people have complex home theater systems and they didn't all pre-wire their system to accept the 5100 as a plug-n-play unit.

Rant#2:
Like others, I am also disappointed with the volume differences between various HD channels. I'm hopeful that Cox can tweak the gains on their end to compensate for this. Would one of y'all that know Brenda please email her with that gripe?

Question#1:
I'd like to second Lish's question... Does anyone have an inside contact with Cox that is knowledgable about the local channel retransmission consent negotiations?

Hello World!
post #98 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I guess I won't be following this thread much any more. I cancelled Cox today and have DirecTV up and running. When Cox asked me why I was cancelling I told him that I had really been looking forward to the new high definition service and was not happy with what Cox was able to come up with. Hopefully they'll increase offerings and work out the bugs quickly. FWIW, I've got:

DirecTV Total Choice $34 + Sports Pack $12 + HD $11 = $57. I get all the locals OTA.
Paid $550 for receiver, satellite and installation. $50 for OTA antenna and preamp.

HD:
CBS
NBC
ABC
KCET
HDNET
HDNET MOVIES
ESPN
DISCOVERY

Ron
post #99 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 09:37 PM

Turt, did you also check out Dish Sat? If so what was the difference between Direct & Dish?

Are all your local channels OTA? Or does Direct have some also?

With HD Direct is it one sat dish or two? (I think Dish needs two for HD).

Thanks
post #100 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NEWNEW
1. Turt, did you also check out Dish Sat? If so what was the difference between Direct & Dish?

2. Are all your local channels OTA? Or does Direct have some also?

3. With HD Direct is it one sat dish or two? (I think Dish needs two for HD).

Thanks

1. I checked out Dish. They offer most of the same programming. The main thing that swayed me toward DirecTV is hardware options. They have Sony, Zenith, and Hughes all with HD boxes. Competition! Lower price and better features. Dish sells its own receiver. I don't remember who makes it but from what I read here on avs leads me to believe it's a bit more buggy. One main selling point for Dishers is they do have CBSHD but I don't need it. The other thing some people are holding out for with Dish is the "promise" of 50+ HD channels. I'll believe it when I see it and I don't think DirecTV will just roll over and die. They'll come up with something.

2. All my locals are OTA but you can get them from DirecTV. You pay $5 more if you want to get them. However, though DirecTV has a bit better picture than Cox, nothing compares to OTA. I watched wimbledon on NBC last week and it was VERY nice. Even though it wasn't filemed in HD, the LA NBC upconverts all its broadcasts (as do CBS and ABC) to HD. They all look nice. And when true HD is broadcast, wow!

3. With D*, you can get a triple LNB dish which picks up 3 different satellites. This is another plus for D* over E* which uses 2, as you say. (At least until the "superdish" arrives). I learned a lot in the HDTV Hardware forum. Learned a lot about OTA from this huge thread .

Ron
post #101 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are no local HD channels on Directv and you only need one oval dish with a triple LNB.

BTW, Ron, I had the Sports Pak for awhile thinking I could watch all the various games from the regional Fox Sports networks. Unfortunately, they black out all of the pro sports and even college football, so you're left with little more than what you could get on the local Fox networks.

I'm working on the OTA HD locals next.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #102 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mike,

Good luck with the OTA! I actually got the sports pack when I realized Fox Sports West and West 2 aren't included in Total Choice. I'd miss all my USC football games. >( So I'm shelling out $12/mo primarily for the local Foxes. Of course adding OLN, Golf, and a couple others helped justify it.

And it's good to restate that you do not get locals in HD from D*.

Ron
post #103 of 7407 Old 07-09-2003, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ron,

You might want to check into that further. I don't have the Sports pak or Total Choice Premier, but I get both Fox Sports channels. They don't advertise it but I believe it is included in Total Choice.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #104 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

For Sat to have 50+ HD selections will take a major change in Bandwidth, no way they can even carry the Locals and few Premiums together like Cable anytime soon.

I tried to email some rants, suggestions, and a wish (free HDnet to any Cable operator for the Road America CART race) to Brenda on 7/2...it was bounced back a couple days later saying I need to use my own local support. (Brenda is San Diego) I resent last night with additional info on Sound and DTV picture quality and told them to get it to Brenda, we have a 9 month history on this! We'll see....

While it bugs me I don't have all the locals or PBS yet, it's not the Fall (or Football/NBA) season (so I aint missing much!) so in reality all I'm missing really is HDNet, but trying to justify spending a grand for OTA, DirectTV, Antenna's......just to have to bin it all cause I trully believe Cable will have the edge as we grow to 20+ HD Channels sometime in the next 2 years..so I'll have little use for all that hardware. I can wait....besides, there are so many DVD's I've not seen yet!

What ever you do, enjoy!

JET
post #105 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mroll
Ron,

You might want to check into that further. I don't have the Sports pak or Total Choice Premier, but I get both Fox Sports channels. They don't advertise it but I believe it is included in Total Choice.

That's what I had originally thought - that they included the local Fox Sports Station (or in our case, there's 2). But then when I looked at the list the other day, it made no mention of it. I'll call them right now. Thanks!

Ron
post #106 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, just called. The CSR said there's no Fox Sports with the total choice. He said that if you subscribe to MBL or NBA, etc. that might include Fox Sports. I think I'll ask over in the DBS forum too...

Ron
post #107 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

That's strange. I have Total Choice, HBO, Starz, Showtime, Local Channels and the NFL Sunday Ticket. I haven't always had the NFL Sunday Ticket, but I've always received both Fox Sports channels. The listing for Total Choice used to list "Regional Sports Network" (which was Fox Sports West) as one of the channels, but now it doesn't. You could always cancel the Sports Pack, see what happens and add it back if necessary.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #108 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

post #109 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool! Now you can use the money you saved for HBO, regular and HD.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
post #110 of 7407 Old 07-10-2003, 10:33 PM

I read this PR announcement today...
Quote:

BURBANK - July 10, 2003 - NBC Cable Networks today announced programming for Bravo HD+, NBC's first cable network dedicated to the delivery of high-definition (HD) content, launching July 31, 2003. Bravo HD+ is the first and only arts, culture and entertainment HD service.

Since NBC seems to be the only network Cox can negotiate with, we might have a shot at getting this before the end of this summer.

Hello World!
post #111 of 7407 Old 07-11-2003, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JETninja
For Sat to have 50+ HD selections will take a major change in Bandwidth, no way they can even carry the Locals and few Premiums together like Cable anytime soon.

Absolutely. I don't even bother trying to follow all the discussion on the technical side of it. All I know is, they can't do it with what they've got now.

Quote:

While it bugs me I don't have all the locals or PBS yet, it's not the Fall (or Football/NBA) season (so I aint missing much!) so in reality all I'm missing really is HDNet, but trying to justify spending a grand for OTA, DirectTV, Antenna's......just to have to bin it all cause I trully believe Cable will have the edge as we grow to 20+ HD Channels sometime in the next 2 years..so I'll have little use for all that hardware. I can wait....besides, there are so many DVD's I've not seen yet!

What ever you do, enjoy!

I agree. I think within 2 years cable will have it all. But if football season rolls around and Cox hasn't gotten locals yet, consider ota. I'm so glad I did. The picture is SOOOOO much better, even when it's not HD.

KCET is showing a cool little live concert right now with Tom Petty in HD. They show a HD demo loop 24/7.

Receiver $300 new. Can probably pick up one cheaper on the net or ebay
Antenna $22
Amplifer $30
Add some coax. You're looking at $400 max. Get $100 back when you sell it on ebay down the road. The big hit is if it needs to be professionally installed or if you are able to do it yourself.

But, as you say, enjoy whatever your choice may be! And be thankful that HD is finally becoming a reality.

Ron
post #112 of 7407 Old 07-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info Turt! I do think about OTA now and then..I'll be watching Cox closely for sure! 20 years ago before I got into Aerospace, I was a Elec Tech at Western Digital, then Rockwell. Installing this stuff is Cake!

Before I got serious about it, I'd probably see if I could get a member to show up with his OTA STB and Silver Surfer or something, and verify I can even receive OTA, got a lot of Ridge running NW to S behind my house....(Close to Barcelona Hills School)

I did finally get a hold of Brenda yesterday, she is forwarding our concerns/rants. I expect to have more info tonight, I'll pass on anything good.

Sure wish OLN was HD, can only imagine what the French Countryside looks like during the Tour if it was in HD....maybe next year!

JET
post #113 of 7407 Old 07-11-2003, 04:41 PM

JETninja,

Someone with a STB and Silver Sensor may not be a good measure of your reception capability. I bought a Silver Sensor early on and was only able to get in 1 station out of LA and my reception would cut in and out. I then installed a Winegard Sensar antenna (model# GS-1000, without an amplifier) on my rooftop and I receive every station out of LA with very good reliability.

I realize that the Silver Sensor is an easy to handle measuring stick, but it is a crappy measuring stick.

I live right off of Oso Parkway, just east of where Oso hits Antonio Parkway. Based on a map I generated at Yahoo Maps for Bareclona Elementary School, I would think that we have a very similar line of sight to the broadcast towers on Mt Whitney.

Hello World!
post #114 of 7407 Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

What concerns me is the ridge behind me (next street up) about 70' up..though it tapers down in that direction, so maybe it would work from the roof...though there are hills in that direction between me and Los Alisos. You know this town, all up and down and curvy roads, one of the reasons I live here!

JET
post #115 of 7407 Old 07-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

According to the Cox web site:

"To work with our first generation HDTV offering, your HDTV set or monitor must have a YPbPr component input or an RGB input."

Has anyone implemented Cox HDTV using an RGB input to your display? I have 9" Sony CRT in Mission Viejo waiting to try it out, it does not have a component input.... Is Cox supplying a component to RGB converter?

Thanks
post #116 of 7407 Old 07-18-2003, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edsuski
According to the Cox web site:

"To work with our first generation HDTV offering, your HDTV set or monitor must have a YPbPr component input or an RGB input."

Has anyone implemented Cox HDTV using an RGB input to your display? I have 9" Sony CRT in Mission Viejo waiting to try it out, it does not have a component input.... Is Cox supplying a component to RGB converter?

Thanks

I do not believe that they are. Those adapters cost over $100 and Cox is not likely to eat that kind of expense. If you go looking around at local stores just be careful that you get a Component-to-RGB converter and not an RGB-to-Component converter.

Hello World!
post #117 of 7407 Old 07-26-2003, 10:15 AM

JETninja,

I'm having pretty good luck with the Silver Sensor and CM 7775 preamp where I am at Oso and Felipe. Every OTA situation varies here in OC with
the varied terrain. Trail and error is the only real solution. There are plenty of members around to get ideas from. I can bring a Silver Sensor and box over if you want to try it.

Bruce
post #118 of 7407 Old 07-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the offer Bruce!

I don't think I'm ready to look into that option soon....oldest of 4 boys is starting HS....Holy Cow! Bus passes alone will be about $600 for 2 boys, plus all the other crap for HS adds a good $300+....Cant wait!

Sure wasn't like this when I went to HS! LOL!

I'll keep you mind towards th end of the year if it looks like Cox is on their duff....

Cheers!

JET
post #119 of 7407 Old 07-29-2003, 12:06 PM

Cox has added 702 (CBS) to it's HD lineup. I hope it's going the Vegas route and adding all that's available for it's subscribers.

Robhair
post #120 of 7407 Old 07-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah CBS is a nice addition. Hopefully they keep adding channels like this.

ESPN's quality on baseball games is starting to get old. The last yankee's/red socks game started out great but the quality turned to ugly by halfway thru.

A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception