post #1621 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by niesman View Post

What is going on with NBC HD, again tonight there was horrible lipsync isuess with "The Office" and "ER"?

niesman

Yup, again I confirmed OTA NBC HD had same problem.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius View Post

Not there this morning, bummer. Maybe tonight...

At this point I wouldn't expect UHD addition (if we are going to get it) to happen until Tues night/Wed morning as that seems to be "update" day for OC.

post #1623 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah. NBC still seems to be having issues. Thankfully it hasnt been raining so they wont be able to blame there problems on that.

UniversalHD still isnt on my guide but I do now have a 744 test channel. Hopefully those test channels will become viewable channels soon.

People stopped watching because it sucked ass. Not because they didnt know the show was on. Now they are no longer watching the shows they liked because you constantly promote other crap.
post #1624 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock View Post

UniversalHD still isnt on my guide but I do now have a 744 test channel.

That is very encouraging news indeed. My dreams of Battlestar Galactica in HD may finally be realized.
post #1625 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb61 View Post

That is very encouraging news indeed. My dreams of Battlestar Galactica in HD may finally be realized.

Most definately! Plus as a bonus Monk and Century City series and of course the upcoming Olympics coverage.

post #1626 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM

Universal HD Confirmed for OC starting in time for the Olympics!

I called Bobbie at the OC Marketing Office, it launches Feb 7th!
post #1627 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 05:37 PM

Anyone else notice more "pixelization" of SD and analog channels with the 6416 than the 6412 or 6413 boxes?

to me and my next door neighbor that is the first thing we noticed. Yes, the 6416 now works with my HDMI cable , but the picture quality is worse? Why?
post #1628 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs View Post

Anyone else notice more "pixelzation" of SD and analog channels with the 6416 than the 6412 or 6413 boxes?

to me and my next door neighbor that is the first thing we noticed. Yes, the 6416 now works with my HDMI cable , but the picture quality is worse? Why?

Hard to tell for sure unless you have 2 boxes side by side and to the same display. But as I posted further up I find picture quality of SD digital channels pretty bad in general with my 6416 - a lot of artifacting during motion and also a lot of ghosting around edges and text. Problem is I didn't really pay attention to SD digital channels with my 6412 so I can't compare them mentally. I would assume the 6413 & 6416 decoder hardware is the same in which case there shouldn't be a difference. Have you tried the 6416 with component connection?

P.S. On one particular bad channel - Golf channel 323 I extracted a 1 minute sample from firewire and playback on my laptop revealed that all the defects I noticed on my HDTV were also visible on my laptop display, so this rules out the 6416 as a culprit at least for that channel. Apparently Golf channel comes into Cox headend as analog and gets digitized there so the original source is bad to begin with.

So using firewire extraction is a good tool to determine if it's a problem with your DCT box or from your headend/cable drop.

post #1629 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Yep, that's what my neighbor and I did. We kept our 6412 boxes for about a week after we got the 6416's and compared. The 6412 definitely were "smoother" with the SD channels. The HDTV channels were crystal clear on each box, but the 6416 did exactly what you mentioned (the artifacting and text "ghosting" and when there was movement you saw the pixels more than the 6412.

We also tried component and HDMI hookups and they both were virtually the same on the 6416. Both had what I call "pixelization".

So, he kept his 6412 and 6416 and is using the 6412 for now. I, unfortunately, had already taken back my 6412. So, I hope they somehow have some sort of upgrade that will "smooth" out the picture more.
post #1630 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Jeeze...just when I thought I'd upgrade (been wanting the better Analog of the newer boxes compared to my 6412) and the extra memory would really be appreciated.....bugs in the SD would not work here. We all watch many of those SD channels....Military, Speed, All the Encores, Wam, and more. Guess I'll keep on waiting.......

JET
post #1631 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Well, I'm getting pretty pissed at how bad the tiling/pixelization is on the channels in the 300's on this new 6416.

Did they ever come out with a 6412 box that you could use the HDMI cable without getting the re-boot problem?

If so, i'm going to switch the 6416 back to the 6412 or 13.
post #1632 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 08:58 PM

Ok, just went through some old posts and see that they fixed the HDMI problem with a firmware upgrade to the 6412 III (6413) boxes. I'm going to go get one and do another comparison and ditch the 6416 if the 6412 III is better with the SD channels.

Jees, I swear, how does Motorola make an "updated" model worse than the ones before it?!

I mean some of the 300 channels are horrible now.
post #1633 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, just went through some old posts and see that they fixed the HDMI problem with a firmware upgrade to the 6412 III (6413) boxes. I'm going to go get one and do another comparison and ditch the 6416 if the 6412 III is better with the SD channels.

Jees, I swear, how does Motorola make an "updated" model worse than the ones before it?!

I mean some of the 300 channels are horrible now.

That's what I've been saying. But like I mentioned judging from firewire captures it doesn't seem to be the 6416 is the problem since playback on my laptop reveals the same defects - I think the SD digital transport streams coming from headend are bad to begin with and perhaps the 6416 is more "faithful" in displaying them. I'm going to capture a few more channels in the 300s that look pretty bad to confirm for sure.

post #1634 of 7397 Old 02-03-2006, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I found setting "Preserve 4:3 - 480i" to be MUCH, MUCH better than "Preserve 4:3 - 480p" with the 6416. With that setting playback on my laptop and HDTV show about same quality (though still not good on many of the channels in the 300s).

Something is wrong with the scaler in the 6416 as 480i->480p conversion is horrible. From what I recall the 6412 did a much better job when set to 480p for SD.

On some of the better channels in the 300s (307 for example) I found playback better on PC than the HDTV.

post #1635 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Read these forums all the time, and just wanted to post an odd issue I had with a series III box today.

I woke up to find that none of my Friday programs had recorded. Played around with the box and all the channels seemed to be working, etc. Finally, I noticed that all my Friday programs were still listed in the "Scheduled to Record" section of the DVR list. What was even more strange was that they were listed at the top, chronologically correct, but the DVR knew today wasn't Friday because all programs to record today were noted as "Today."

So I rebooted the box and when it came back up, 3 programs I had already watched and deleted reappeared in the DVR list.

I should also note that I had had to reboot the box yesterday -- before I watched and deleted any of the mysteriously reappearing programs -- because I was having the frame-skipping issue.

It's kind of a bummer, because now after the subscription bug has been addressed, I again find myself without any confidence that the thing will record as requested.
post #1636 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 11:03 AM

I just had Comcast out to my house for picture lock ups on both my 6412s. The only solution is to unplus and replug. What a bummer. The tech guy told me there was nothing he could do since these boxes are known for these lock ups. That's a load of crap!! I'm spending a lot money for these boxes and they need to be rebooted every 2 days. Are there any other HD DVRs that work on Comcast?

Mike
post #1637 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoMaster View Post

I'm spending a lot money for these boxes

Hrmph. The rest of us are only paying $10/mo ...

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #1638 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 PM

Well, just got back from the Santa Margarita office to try and get a 6412 III box instead of the 6416 because of the bad image quality on the 300 channels.

Well, to make a long time/story short, these "customer service" people are complete A-HOLES. All I wanted was to get a 6412 box instead and she (Barbara) got a huge attitude with me and said we don't have any of those. I asked if she could look at the 12 boxes right behind her and see if one was a 6412. She reacted with "that's a lot of work. Those are heavy."

WHAT!!! ??? I said you are "customer service" right? I would like the 6412 box and could you please look right behind you and see if one of those are it. It was like pulling teeth. Finally, she slumped back there and YEP, found a 6412/2000 box. (Which I don't even know if it will work with DVI-HDMI connection I want.)

but, here's the icing on the cake. I get it home and plug it all in and ...."Passport Echo" screen and nothing else.

so, I call tech support and I get "Paula". Actually, surprisingly, VERY nice and tried to help me, but still couldn't get it to work. So, she was to reset the box back to "manufacture" settings and reboot it and said she will be calling me back in 30-40 mintues.

That was 1 hour ago. Still waiting..........
post #1639 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 01:16 PM

Now, as I wait....

Question for those who know about the 6412/2000 box (I have only had the non-DVR 6412 III box). Did it get the firmware upgrade like the other box versions? And do you know the HD space of it? Lastly, what are the problems you've heard o with the DVR 6412/2000 boxes?

Thanks!
post #1640 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM

6412 II has 120 GB space, I believe the firmware was never updated no the software. Look at Mojekj's pages for more info
post #1641 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBeverly View Post

(...)
I woke up to find that none of my Friday programs had recorded. Played around with the box and all the channels seemed to be working, etc. Finally, I noticed that all my Friday programs were still listed in the "Scheduled to Record" section of the DVR list.
(...)
So I rebooted the box and when it came back up, 3 programs I had already watched and deleted reappeared in the DVR list.
(...)

WestBeverly, recently I've had exactly the same problem with 6412 DVR. After a few frustrating days (during which I viewed previously recorded material) and losing a few newly recorded items, I took the box back to Cox and got a new 6416 (I didn't know that it was available!). The new box runs cooler, has a larger drive (147,581 MB allocated for DVR content), and the on-screen info and guide work while watching a HD channel.

Mike
post #1642 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Hey All, well just to update what happened after my "waste" of a day with Cox.

After taling to a second tech (Ron) when Paula NEVER called back...he couldn't figure the problem of the Passport Echo screen either. So, we scheduled an appt. for Monday.

Then a little after that, I realized I couldn't be here for the tech guy and miss work, so I called in again to cancel and talked to a 3rd person.

As I explained the problem to her AGAIN, she said to try this, "Cable, Power, Exit Exit". Then the picture appeared and the Passport Echo screen was gone. I said "Why in the hell didn't the other techs tell me to do that?"

But, eventhough the image was back, there was "NO DATA" in the entire guide. And the recording feature wouldn't work. So, she said to keep my appt. if I could or reschedule.

Well, I was all set to just say forget it and return the 6412 II box and keep the 6416 with the bad image qulaity in the SD channels until another day. When about an hour later the guide appeared out of nowhere and my DVR started working.

So far, knock on wood!, the 6412 /2000 seems to work fine with DVI-HDMI connection. Hopefully it will NOT have the re-boot problem. The image quality for the SD channels blows the 6416 away. Why the 6416 is so crappy with SD channels is ridiculous. Where is the quality testing on these?

but, just to be safe, I'm keeping the 6416 for just a few days and making sure the 6412 works without a hitch before I return it.

Man, Cox is unbelievably bad for a company that's been around so long.
post #1643 of 7397 Old 02-04-2006, 08:26 PM

Now, last question to you experts out there... since I have a bunch of recorded shows on the 6416 I'm returning....is there anyway to trasfer the shows/files from the old 6416 box I'm returning to the 6412 box I'm keeping?

via firewire somehow?

thanks for the help....this forum has been a lifesaver for getting some REAL answers.
post #1644 of 7397 Old 02-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Now, as I wait....

Question for those who know about the 6412/2000 box (I have only had the non-DVR 6412 III box). Did it get the firmware upgrade like the other box versions? And do you know the HD space of it? Lastly, what are the problems you've heard o with the DVR 6412/2000 boxes?

Thanks!

The 6412/2000 did not ever have the reboot problem with the DVI port. This issue was specific to the phase III models with the HDMI port. It also did not have the issue with Dolby Digital/Stereo audio settings not sticking.

The above issues have been fixed with a firmware update for the Phase III boxes. Phase II boxes did not get a corresponding firmware update since those serious bugs were not present on them.

The biggest recent problem with the 6412/2000 was the subscription bug which was fixed with a recent Passport Echo update. The problem was present on all the boxes and is now pretty much fixed.

There are many who feel(and I agree) that the anaolog(1-100) channels look much beter on the Phase III boxes than on the phase II. This is due to a newer mpeg converter in the Phase III.

Finally there is recent discussion that the digital SD channels look worse on the Phase III's than the older phase II's.

I agree that those channels look like total crap, especially the 300 range ones, but it's my opinion that they looked just as bad on my old series II box as they do on my current 6416. Since the box simply records the incoming digital stream with no conversion, it seems unlikely to me that the box is messing this up. Moyekj's recent testing with firewire output seems to confirm this. I think the signal coming from the headend for these channels just plain and simply sucks because they are compressing it to death in order to save bandwidth. The good news is that at least some of that saved bandwidth is going to our beautiful HD channels.

Cheers,
Ray
post #1645 of 7397 Old 02-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:

(...)she said to try this, "Cable, Power, Exit Exit". Then the picture appeared and the Passport Echo screen was gone.
(...)
But, eventhough the image was back, there was "NO DATA" in the entire guide. And the recording feature wouldn't work.(...)
(...)
When about an hour later the guide appeared out of nowhere and my DVR started working.

1. The old guide data was erased by the command.
2. It takes a while to reload the guide data, because it is being sent at low bit rate.
post #1646 of 7397 Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius View Post

The 6412/2000 did not ever have the reboot problem with the DVI port. This issue was specific to the phase III models with the HDMI port. It also did not have the issue with Dolby Digital/Stereo audio settings not sticking.

The above issues have been fixed with a firmware update for the Phase III boxes. Phase II boxes did not get a corresponding firmware update since those serious bugs were not present on them.

The biggest recent problem with the 6412/2000 was the subscription bug which was fixed with a recent Passport Echo update. The problem was present on all the boxes and is now pretty much fixed.

There are many who feel(and I agree) that the anaolog(1-100) channels look much beter on the Phase III boxes than on the phase II. This is due to a newer mpeg converter in the Phase III.

Finally there is recent discussion that the digital SD channels look worse on the Phase III's than the older phase II's.

I agree that those channels look like total crap, especially the 300 range ones, but it's my opinion that they looked just as bad on my old series II box as they do on my current 6416. Since the box simply records the incoming digital stream with no conversion, it seems unlikely to me that the box is messing this up. Moyekj's recent testing with firewire output seems to confirm this. I think the signal coming from the headend for these channels just plain and simply sucks because they are compressing it to death in order to save bandwidth. The good news is that at least some of that saved bandwidth is going to our beautiful HD channels.

Cheers,
Ray

Thanks, so, the basic difference between the phase 2 and phase 3 boxes are a little better quality of lower end analog on the III and better mid-high SD channels on the II. Which , for us, better that we have the II because we watch a lot of the 100-300 channels. We watch the low end ones on HD.

I give up HDMI-HDMI but I use a DVI -HDMI cable so I think that's the same quality of picture for HD content.

I'm much happier with the quality of the SD and analog channels with the 6412 over the 6416. They were REALLY bad (ghosting and very pixelated) on the 6416.
Bth my neighbor and I took our 6416's back.
post #1647 of 7397 Old 02-05-2006, 02:12 PM

Superbowl is looking good. 34 seconds behind OTA feed, hope I won't hear the nieghbors cheering.
post #1648 of 7397 Old 02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

My ABC HD OTA feed was breaking up badly today for some odd reason - glad I have the Cox ABC HD feed which is fine.

post #1649 of 7397 Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post

34 seconds behind OTA feed.

I watched the 1st half in L.A., where the SD/HD delay was only the standard second or two, then drove to the OC for the 2nd half (empty roads!) where the delay was as you'd said. I wonder why it was so much longer down there?

Kenny Crudup, SF Bay Area
Comcast - 94039
post #1650 of 7397 Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Major Outage Confirmed.

I am in Irvine, and I awoke to no Digital/ or Digital HD channels. The analog channels are less than acceptable. No problem with my High Speed however. Cox is currently making repairs where needed. They better have it ready for 24 tonight.

I wonder if this will push off the UHD debut tomorrow.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page