Orange County, CA - Cox - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 7397 Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are the analog PBS channel(s) mapped for those of you with cable cards and TV Guide On Screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 7397 Old 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

Are the analog PBS channel(s) mapped for those of you with cable cards and TV Guide On Screen?

CableCard users get the same channel mapping information as the digital set top boxes so if using CableCard you would get the digital simulcast versions instead of the analog versions when tuning to PBS channels. TVGOS as you probably know is currently only carried in the analog transmissions so TVGOS needs to have access to analog channels to get the information. It's not clear to me if by having only CableCard input to your TV is sufficient to "block" the analog channels therefore breaking TVGOS. The issue could well be that PBS channels are being encoded to digital at the headend (or before) at which point the TVGOS data is lost, and the analog feed is then created by decoding the digital feed and so wouldn't have TVGOS data. For people with CableCard it's pretty easy experiment - try with and without CableCard to see what happens to TVGOS. If you can't get TVGOS to work even without CableCard then clearly the analog feeds are not the original analog broadcast feeds.

Personally I feel this is more TV Guide problem than a Cable Company problem since with the upcoming digital broadcast only requirement they should have a digital solution in place for this by now.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #1893 of 7397 Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Looks like digital simulcast additions are continuing now after a pause, and a new RF channel 82 is being used. 2 "junk" channels added:
34=KMEX (RF 82)
36=KVEA (RF 82)
Also, the 2 PBS channels are also now on RF 82.

Kev,

What does this mean? Do I have to do anything different to see the digital simulcast channels or just tune my catv box as normal? I presume that's all I do and I will see a better picture quality, correct?

Thanks,
Tom
post #1894 of 7397 Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM

Yep, gotta love (sic) Cox! Remember their pat answer for what HD channels get added? "Our HD channel lineup is dictated by the amount of customers who request a particular channel. We add certain channels based on customer input."

I'd like to see who in the hell requested UniversalHD over FSNHD or ESPN2HD!!!! Are you kidding me!? Knight Rider? The Executioner or whatever the hell that other 80's show is? LOL

C'mon, apologies for the few that like some of those 80's shows, but I cannot believe how many reruns of old shows that channel has. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry, end of rant.
post #1895 of 7397 Old 04-28-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstoddard View Post

What does this mean? Do I have to do anything different to see the digital simulcast channels or just tune my catv box as normal? I presume that's all I do and I will see a better picture quality, correct?

Yes. So, for example when you tune to the PBS channels 6=KCET or 10=KOCE with your Cox digital box or CableCard TV tuner you are getting the digital feeds now instead of the analog. As to whether it looks better that is subjective, but probably should look better for most people.

post #1896 of 7397 Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs View Post

I'd like to see who in the hell requested UniversalHD over FSNHD or ESPN2HD!!!!

Me, for one. There is good content on UniversalHD:
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Monk
  • Law & Order SVU
  • Some of their movies
Plus, the content on UniversalHD is actually in HD, unlike 95% of the shows on ESPN-HD (replaying SportsCenter 18 times a day doesn't count).

Feel free to ignore me... I'm just bitter that getting Discovery HD forces me to subsidize ESPN. In any case, I think we all agree that Cox's lineup could use a lot of work. HD On Demand would be nice, Sho On Demand, and more HD channels are all on my list.
post #1897 of 7397 Old 04-28-2006, 07:07 PM

I just can't see how they added that over other worthy channels. 4 current shows and a bunch of 80's re-runs just doesn't make sense to me over the overall programming of other HD options. Mostly, I get tired of their (Cox) B.S. answers. Making me seriously consider Direct Tv or Dish.

"I'm just bitter that getting Discovery HD forces me to subsidize ESPN."

I completely agree. Paying 4.95 for TWO channels is ridiculous. But, ya gotta do it if you want one of them. Kinda like going to a ballgame or the movies and having to shell out 4 dollars for a coke.
post #1898 of 7397 Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 PM

Now, on a different note, a few questions about splitters:

In my office/den I have the cable coax coming in and then running through a two-way splitter (1 to my cable modem for internet and 1 to another two-way splitter, which splits the signal to a)my TV and b) my PC video card ATI All in Wonder with TV tuner).

Now, I've got to think going through two splitters really degrades the signal. True? or not?

What other mehods could I use? Are there 4-way splitters out there? So I don't have to use the 2nd splitter.

Could anyone point me to a link of the best type of splitters to use?

The ones I have say two-way GHS-2 and are 1000MHZ / 1GHZ splitters. Good? Bad?

thanks!
post #1899 of 7397 Old 04-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Yes. So, for example when you tune to the PBS channels 6=KCET or 10=KOCE with your Cox digital box or CableCard TV tuner you are getting the digital feeds now instead of the analog. As to whether it looks better that is subjective, but probably should look better for most people.

Are you sure? Because when I tune in 6 (KCET) it still shows "Analog Cable" on my TV w/cablecard. If I tune in 806, it says "KCET DT Digital cable." The picture seems different as well...I don't know if I'd call it better, just different.

In short, I don't think my cablecard is automatically giving me digital. Besides, some analog channels don't seem to have a digital counterpart yet (although I'm at work right now and can't remember any off the top of my head).
post #1900 of 7397 Old 04-29-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Shrinker View Post

Are you sure? Because when I tune in 6 (KCET) it still shows "Analog Cable" on my TV w/cablecard. If I tune in 806, it says "KCET DT Digital cable." The picture seems different as well...I don't know if I'd call it better, just different.

In short, I don't think my cablecard is automatically giving me digital. Besides, some analog channels don't seem to have a digital counterpart yet (although I'm at work right now and can't remember any off the top of my head).

Certainly with digital set top box I'm absolutely sure. CableCard I don't have but just assumed they map channels the same way as a digital set top box which they are supposed to replace. With the Cox DVR the simulcast channels in 800 range are no longer there so since you still can get to them via CableCard that suggests a difference in behavior.

There are only about 34 channels in analog lineup being digital simulcast right now, and mostly the less popular channels (at least less popular for me). Cox has been deploying the simulcast channels in increments and recently have slowed way down presumably because of customer problems/complaints such as the TVGOS problem.

post #1901 of 7397 Old 04-29-2006, 02:31 PM

Hi, new to this thread. I'm in OC as well, RSM, and recently switched from DirecTV to Cox. I have the Moto 6416 III hooked up to my Toshiba plasma and really enjoying watching the HD channels. I am also praying for ESPN2HD in time for the World Cup this summer. Is there anyway we can let Cox know that we are REALLY interested in it? I've called CS a couple of times to ask them if they have plans to add it but so far they have told me they don't know.
Later,
MC
post #1902 of 7397 Old 04-29-2006, 06:24 PM

Well, after 2-3 weeks of my DVR not being able to download TV Guide On Screen data through my digital cable box, sometime between Wed 4/27 & Thur 4/28, the data became available again! Woo hoo!

I have not received an email update from TV Guide, so I am not sure if TV Guide enabled their data to go through via digital & analog, or if Cox re-mapped something, or

I know for a fact that it was a digital problem for me, as I have 2 Sony DVR's with TV Guide On Screen. The one connected without the box (analog only) never lost data. The one that had a digital box between the wall and the unit lost data for 2-3 weeks.

I am completely thrilled that this resolved itself before I completely reconfigured my connections. TV heavy... ugh.

Anyone have any idea who my hero is?

Anya
post #1903 of 7397 Old 04-29-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanti View Post

Me, for one.

Me, for another. I don't want any more sports channels. I'd rather have UHD even if all I watch on it is hidef Battlestar Galactica.
post #1904 of 7397 Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Me, for another. I don't want any more sports channels. I'd rather have UHD even if all I watch on it is hidef Battlestar Galactica.

Too bad it's a season behind SciFi channel though... not very interesting watching fairly recent re-runs even if they are HD, and the HD is not that great from what I saw.

post #1905 of 7397 Old 04-30-2006, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

OT: WOW, what a Lakers game!! Doesn't get any better than that! A tad more exciting than the Clippers games I must say... hopefully the battle for LA is coming up in 2nd round.

post #1906 of 7397 Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Put me down for NG-HD. I already made my call. Hopefully we get it. I saw that Quake show about the big SF earthquake in 1906 and it looked pretty good for nonHD. I like their programming....
post #1907 of 7397 Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM

Is anyone else noticing a big pic quality difference on the low end analog channels? (2-75)

We have a 6412 2000 and usually the low end channels are smooth on our big screen tv, but tonight they are very "jaggie" on the edges of objects/people. Just noticed it tonight.

Has Cox screwed the signal up again somehow?

HD and those channels are fine...just the analogs are a lot more "jaggie" than usual.
post #1908 of 7397 Old 05-03-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

A few more digital simulcast channels were added. RF channel 95 was completely eliminated in favor of RF 82. Latest additions were under RF 82. This is the latest list I have of channels now being digital simulcast:
Code:
 DIGITAL SIMULCAST CHANNELS (40 total using 4 RF channels)
06      KCET
10      KOCE
12      KDOC
13      KCOP
14      CNN
15      ESPN
16      ESPN2
17      FX
18      TNT
19      FAMILY
20      DISNEY
21      DISC
22      USA
25      KAZA
27      TBS
28      WGN
29      KWHY
32      KXLA
34      KMEX
35      KSCI
36      KVEA
41      KRCA
42      KFTR
44      CNBC
46      FOXNEWS
47      GALAVISION
49      MTV
53      TRAVEL
54      HEALTH
55      BRAVO
56      TV FOOD
57      HGTV
58      LIFE
59      E!
63      FSNET2
64      FSNET
67      A&E
70      NICK
71      TOON
73      TLC

post #1909 of 7397 Old 05-05-2006, 07:47 AM

Has anyone else heard of the rumor on Gizmodo about Cox considering a Cox branded Tivo?

Sorry I can't link to it, I haven't made 5 posts yet.

Go to Gizmodo and do a search with the key words COX and TIVO

Quote:

Subscribers of Cox Cableyou know who you aremay have recieved a questionnaire asking if they'd purchase a Cox-branded TiVo device. The questions alluded to the fact that Cox may be dumping their current DVRs and coming out with their own special TiVo boxesHD-ready, hopefully.

Let's listen in, shall we?

As you may or may not know, Cox offers DVR service. The DVR is built into the Cox digital receiver box and is operated using a Cox digital service remote control. While Cox currently offers its own DVR service, the Cox DVR may soon be powered by TiVo, and include the features that TiVo owners have come to expect. If Cox were to offer digital cable service with a TiVo branded DVR for about the same price as you are currently paying for satellite service each month, how likely would you be to switch from satellite TV to Cox cable that featured this TiVo branded DVR service?

Interesting
post #1910 of 7397 Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 PM

post #1911 of 7397 Old 05-06-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs View Post

Is anyone else noticing a big pic quality difference on the low end analog channels? (2-75)

We have a 6412 2000 and usually the low end channels are smooth on our big screen tv, but tonight they are very "jaggie" on the edges of objects/people. Just noticed it tonight.

Has Cox screwed the signal up again somehow?

HD and those channels are fine...just the analogs are a lot more "jaggie" than usual.

What channels specifically? Note that 40 of the channels are now digital when tuning via your 6412 (see above for the list) - not the traditional analog you were used to. As I reported before the sharpness level is way too high and I needed to change my sharpness level to 0 on my TV for SD digital to look OK.

post #1912 of 7397 Old 05-07-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post

Oh Me oh My
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/05/c...hip-with-tivo/

That would be good news, I miss my Tivo from when I was with DirecTV. It had more options than the Cox DVR.
post #1913 of 7397 Old 05-08-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Sharpness levels . . . .

What are good setting for the DVR? For Color should I use Cool, Warm or Neutral?
What about the Brightness?

For Sharpness should it be set in middle unless your watching a Digital simulcast channel?

What mode works best, my Sony has Vivid, Standard, Movie, and Pro?
post #1914 of 7397 Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 PM

WOW!!!! Did anyone watch what I think was the first FSN HD game ever on Cox. For some reason INHD1 had the LAD HOU game and instead of airing the INHD broadcast they picked up the FSN Prime Ticket HD Broadcast. SPECTACULAR. Now we just need to get them to give us FSN HD as its own channel.

It is on now so check it out
post #1915 of 7397 Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 PM

OK, here's my latest problem. I'm in Tustin on Cox using a 15 month old 6412 attached via component to my Plasma TV (at the moment I don't have my software version but I imagine its current for this model). for the most part, all of the HD channels are working just fine, both viewing live and recorded. However, I have a show on VH1 that I record that for the last 3 weeks is completely unwatchable. The picuture has HORRIBLE problems, lots of dropped sound, frozen pictures, large visible rectangular shapes (not sure of the technical term for this). Sometimes its so bad the recording just freezes. Once, it stopped after 37 minutes, skipped about 15 minutes and went right to the last 5 minutes or so. Tonight, I actually flipped over to that channel to see if it was a problem was also there live and it is. I doubt the recording will be watchable. For kicks, I flpped down a channel (to 49) and basically saw the same flaws and the screen actually went black. Fortunately, as soon as I changed back to another channel, the picture was fine again.

I wanna say I saw something in another post that sounded similar, maybe something to do with the new digial simulcasting of the SD channels?
post #1916 of 7397 Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Lardoggy, VH1=channel 50 is still analog so I don't think digital simulcast is your problem there.
Channel 49=MTV is a digital simulcast and is using previously unused RF channel 97 (105MHz which is in FM band), so it's possible due to bad shielding/poor coax cable quality you are getting FM interference.

You can check for yourself using your box if channels in question are analog or digital:
Tune to channel 2
swap
Tune to channel 50
Off, select, select
Scroll down to D6 and right arrow.
down arrow pages to other tuner's info.
power off then on again to resume

You should see 1 tuner at 57MHz type analog - that's channel 2
For other tuner (VH1) you will most likely see 381MHz type analog.

If you repeat above but use 49 instead of 50 you will see 105MHz type = QAM 256 indicating it's digital.

post #1917 of 7397 Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM

Hey Kev, what are your thoughts on them showing 5 hours of FSN PT HD over INHD1 last night.

Was it 1 in a million or a test to see if FSN HD is worth while, or a hint that all HDPT games will be shown, just over something else?

I hadn't heard of this being done before seeing it live.
post #1918 of 7397 Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Hey Kev, what are your thoughts on them showing 5 hours of FSN PT HD over INHD1 last night.

Was it 1 in a million or a test to see if FSN HD is worth while, or a hint that all HDPT games will be shown, just over something else?

Why in the heck didn't they advertise this or mention it somehow. Was it listed in the guide? It should have been so that we who want FSN HD could have checked it out.
post #1919 of 7397 Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 AM

Well it preempted whatever MLB game that was meant to be on INHD1. So the guide said MLB Baseball, but as INHD never lists the teams, it wasn't denoted. Not sure why they did it, hopefully it is a regular occurance though.
post #1920 of 7397 Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's news to me too. INHD channels have pissed me off in the past with some sports programs in the schedule (e.g. Lakers games) only to find they are blacked out or showing something else, so I don't rely on them for any sporting event and in fact hardly ever watch them at all. I would much prefer just to have FSN PT HD instead of the INHD channels.

I can only hope since I highly doubt we will be getting ESPN2HD for upcoming World Cup Soccer that same thing happens there.

Has someone compiled a list of worthy HD channels we don't have yet lately?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page