New York, NY - OTA - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > New York, NY - OTA
Chri's Avatar Chri 07:57 AM 10-29-2003
antneye- I'm about 40 miles out in CT and using the same RS antenna. I can't get WPIX either. It's got to be a power issue. I can get ABC out of New Haven (VHF channel 11) just fine, and it's about 25 miles away. In fact it comes in strong enough that I can keep the antenna pointed towards the ESB for CBS and FOX, and still get no dropouts on ABC. I'm sure if WPIX just cranked up the juice you would receive it fine.

JoeCraw's Avatar JoeCraw 08:33 AM 10-29-2003
I am about 30 miles from the ESB and get WPIX with a signal strength in the low 60s with my RCA DTC-100.

I have a roof mounted, Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna with Radio Shack amplifier.

Another 10 miles might be a deal breaker, but you could try a VHF antenna with an amplifier.

Joe
wward's Avatar wward 09:28 AM 10-29-2003
In an effort to quell the rampant speculation concerning the situation with WABC I am in the process of speaking with a couple of individuals at the network and station who would know one way or the other what's going on.

If there is something that is worth reporting and that can be reported I will post it immediately. Please do not send me notes every other day asking for info as soon as I hear something I will post it.
s2silber's Avatar s2silber 10:28 AM 10-29-2003
Quote:

Originally posted by wward
In an effort to quell the rampant speculation concerning the situation with WABC I am in the process of speaking with a couple of individuals at the network and station who would know one way or the other what's going on.

If there is something that is worth reporting and that can be reported I will post it immediately. Please do not send me notes every other day asking for info as soon as I hear something I will post it.

The information I conveyed yesterday came from a very senior person in engineering at WABC. Short of an exact time of day that digital broadcasting will commence, I'm not sure how much more information you're going to get out of them.
wward's Avatar wward 11:37 AM 10-29-2003
s2silber

First off my statement was not a direct attack on you or anyone else, I may come back with exactly what you said or maybe more I thought the point of this thread was to report as much factual information as possible.

The more folks that can present factual information the better at least in my opinion.
Paperboy2003's Avatar Paperboy2003 12:07 PM 10-29-2003
I think the great philosopher Rodney King said it the best.....

"can't we all just get along?!"
chingko's Avatar chingko 02:10 PM 10-29-2003
Quote:

Originally posted by s2silber
Short of an exact time of day that digital broadcasting will commence,

it would be cool even if it's just approximate time to start the broadcast test. i'm tired of climbing up the attic and rotating between philly and ny. plus abc philly is doing multicasting...sucks.
s2silber's Avatar s2silber 03:09 PM 10-29-2003
As per my previous post, they could go online as soon as this Saturday. In any case, two different engineers I've spoken to at WABC were cautiously confident about being on air by MNF.
DAVE2's Avatar DAVE2 04:33 PM 10-29-2003
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WalterK's Avatar WalterK 07:04 PM 10-29-2003
Check out the story on fybush.com about 4 Times Square. Upon touring the site last week Scott says he viewed the WABC DT equipment being assembled for a 11/1 lauch date Also he said the WFUT 53.1 is transmitting from that location!! So anyone who wonders if they will get 7.1 can try 53.1 and if they get that they are sure to recieve WABC-DT Ch 45. My only question is 53.1 on from the 385 foot tower yet??or the temp antenna,either way I get it fine here on Staten Island.
vruiz's Avatar vruiz 07:30 PM 10-29-2003
What the heck is WFUT?
vruiz's Avatar vruiz 07:43 PM 10-29-2003
Never mind. I just found out it's Telefutura, a spanish network, and I get it loud and clear! I guess I'm set for WABC.
antneye's Avatar antneye 08:09 PM 10-29-2003
i am seeing wfut's analog signal (68), but not their digital....and they come from same spot. Is it possible that the Digital is a low power signal? I'm gonna be pissed if i dont get abc
BuzaidC's Avatar BuzaidC 08:34 PM 10-29-2003
I do not get 53 here in Westchester. I think it is low power. According to the FCC web site, WFUT has a STA to operate at 3.5KW but I am not sure how accurate that is or even what it means. All I know is that it registers anywhere from 10 to 20 on my Hughes E86 signal meter and I get no picture. I am a little more than 20 miles north of mid town. I do get their 68 analog station though.
sbonaparte's Avatar sbonaparte 11:05 PM 10-29-2003
After WABC-DT is up and running and the people are thanked does someone want to start a "WPIX-DT needs to be UHF" thread?

I though there VHF implementation was temperary and on some type of shared antenna or something.

Does anyone know what there turnover dates are or if they have dates? I have sent emails from there website from there "If you are receiving our HD signal post your feedback" http://wb11.trb.com/about/station/wp...story#dataform

I am posting that I can't get it...

I don't know about you but I bought a UHF antenna because it was suggested and smaller for better distance than the combo's. I only want to receive HD OTA everything else comes via Directv.
JoeCraw's Avatar JoeCraw 06:47 AM 10-30-2003
Quote:

Originally posted by sbonaparte
After WABC-DT is up and running and the people are thanked does someone want to start a "WPIX-DT needs to be UHF" thread?

Don't be too hard on WPIX. They should be commended for even putting up a temporary fix while waiting for a better, long term, "temporary fix".

Quote:

I though there VHF implementation was temperary and on some type of shared antenna or something.

It is temporary.
I believe they are supposed to be part of the combiner that is being installed in the ESB.
The fact that WPIX, a small, local station, was broadcasting a digital signal months before WABC and WNBC (maybe years for WNBC?) should not be forgotten. Of course, if you are out of there range, it doesn't help much. BUT, as least you know they are trying.
If you want to be pro-active, how about a nice letter to WPIX and a more aggressive approach to WNBC.
WNBC continues to give the impression they could care less if we ever get a OTA digital signal in NYC!!

Joe
RAVEN56706's Avatar RAVEN56706 06:47 AM 10-30-2003
When is ABC 7 dtv up on the air?
JoeCraw's Avatar JoeCraw 07:04 AM 10-30-2003
The 'confirmed rumor' is by Nov 1st.

Joe
jaypb's Avatar jaypb 07:32 AM 10-30-2003
Quote:

Originally posted by sbonaparte

Does anyone know what there turnover dates are or if they have dates? I have sent emails from there website from there "If you are receiving our HD signal post your feedback" http://wb11.trb.com/about/station/wp...story#dataform

I am posting that I can't get it...

I don't know about you but I bought a UHF antenna because it was suggested and smaller for better distance than the combo's. I only want to receive HD OTA everything else comes via Directv.

I took some time to write a nice little letter on that submission form...but neglected to put my phone # in....so when I hit the send button the next page said to hit the back button and enter a phone #....so I go BACK to enter a phone # in and my WHOLE form is blank!!!

What a waste of time.....so the moral of the story is fill in every field if you plan on leaving a little letter in the comments section....or you'll probably lose the message you typed
dm145's Avatar dm145 09:16 AM 10-30-2003
I checked to see if I could get 53-1 and it was coming in very low around 12-15 percent. I hope ABC-DT comes in higher than that. The wait is killing me.
RAVEN56706's Avatar RAVEN56706 09:37 AM 10-30-2003
joe are you talking to me?
beatles6's Avatar beatles6 09:42 AM 10-30-2003
I am in Staten Island with direct line of site to the ESB. I get WPIX in low 60's with ocassional dropouts. I get 100 on WCBS and WNYW. I'm sure if WPIX goes to high power that would top out at 100 as well. Hope the ABC signal from the Conde Naste building does as well.
Paperboy2003's Avatar Paperboy2003 10:21 AM 10-30-2003
While I don't know how accurate the link below is, I'm concerned that ABC might not reach that far out. The link, as you can see, show's cbs-dt @ 349 Kw, Fox @ 246Kw and ABC (once again this could just be a projection) @ 182 Kw. I get CBS and Fox at around 85-90 (with CM 7777 preamp) but I don't know if 182 (if true) will be enough to reach out around 30-35 miles from the City. Guess we'll all know soon enough!

Doug

http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/...tion.asp?m=new
trekkerj's Avatar trekkerj 11:11 AM 10-30-2003
Another thread just posted says that there is now a signal on ch 45. Can anyone else confirm?
harican's Avatar harican 11:13 AM 10-30-2003
Wabc-dt Is On The Air!
IT IS NOW 12:42 PM, THURSDAY, 10/30/03

mY RCA DTC100 IS DETECTING A DIGITAL SIGNAL ON CHANNEL 45, WITH A STRENGTH OF 0

LET'S WAIT AND SEE.

1:12 P.M., signal is completely gone,

LET'S WAIT AND SEE
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:09 PM 10-30-2003
Unfortunately nothing out here on Long Island. I get very strong signals on CBS and Fox, but absolutely nothing to lock on to with ABC. Looks like I'll still be using my VHF antenna for ABC out of New Haven. Too bad.
trekkerj's Avatar trekkerj 12:13 PM 10-30-2003
The previous post already said the signal is gone, so don't worry if you want get any signal at the moment. Can you get ch 53? If so, it's much lower power than ch 45 should be, so that should be a better indication.
RAVEN56706's Avatar RAVEN56706 12:13 PM 10-30-2003
Quote:

Originally posted by harican
Wabc-dt Is On The Air!

LET'S WAIT AND SEE.

LET'S WAIT AND SEE

can anyone else confirm this???
chingko's Avatar chingko 12:19 PM 10-30-2003
Quote:

Originally posted by Paperboy2003
While I don't know how accurate the link below is, I'm concerned that ABC might not reach that far out.

I wonder if the information from that link is from a couple of years ago. Recall that in 2001, all the NYC stations (2,4,5,7,9,11,13) were transmitting in digital. This link even shows NBC-DT at 178 kW and they're not even up so is this projected or old info? I think it's old info.

Boy, those were the days. I was able to get all these 7 stations from Morris County with my double bowtie. First HD broadcast from ABC-45 was NYPD Blue, Jan 2001. I think NBC-28 was either Leno or Crossing Jordan. And rodmanbra was a famous entity here...heheh.
jscnyc's Avatar jscnyc 12:47 PM 10-30-2003
I hope so, im waiting and watching 10 miles in s bklyn. getting nadda on 45,53,7. god speed

john

Quote:

Originally posted by harican
Wabc-dt Is On The Air!

LET'S WAIT AND SEE.

LET'S WAIT AND SEE

First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop