New York, NY - OTA - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 17668 Old 07-09-2003, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm less than 18 miles from ESB and can only get around 30 percent with a silver sensor and a myhd card. I tried an rca ant200 also and wasn't any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 17668 Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 PM

This is my first time in this particular part of the forum, so I'm sure this is going to sound very newbyish. I haven't seen anyone from Manhattan yet post to this thread and I'm wondering if it's because no one can get decent reception here. I was considering getting an OTA box but was told that 8-VSB doesn't work so well in metropolitan areas (supposedly it has difficulty with multipath issues created by moving vehicles, planes, etc. Is this true? Or are people smack dab in the middle of the city in fact able to enjoy OTA HDTV?

Thanks.
post #33 of 17668 Old 07-09-2003, 03:10 PM

I've emailed the chief engineer of WPIX asking if they intend to boost the power on 12 and when they anticipate switching to 33. I'll post his response when I get it.
post #34 of 17668 Old 07-10-2003, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Vermonster
This is my first time in this particular part of the forum, so I'm sure this is going to sound very newbyish. I haven't seen anyone from Manhattan yet post to this thread and I'm wondering if it's because no one can get decent reception here. I was considering getting an OTA box but was told that 8-VSB doesn't work so well in metropolitan areas (supposedly it has difficulty with multipath issues created by moving vehicles, planes, etc. Is this true? Or are people smack dab in the middle of the city in fact able to enjoy OTA HDTV?

Thanks.

Manhattanites don't watch TV - there's too much else to do.

I have seen some Manhattan residents post in the local NYC-NJ forums and I do seem to recall a good number of them having reception issues.

For those receiving WLIW, exactly what channel is it? I've seen so many different channels listed for it. I'm never able to pick it up with the channels I've inputed, but I see that some people from NJ (I'm about 10-15 miles from NYC) get it. I have my antenna pointed at the ESB, but also have a rotator so I'm flexible. Am I just too far away at this point?
post #35 of 17668 Old 07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

No you're not too far. I'm in Parsippany and I can pick it up with my indoor UHF antenna with a preamp. It's Ch. 22 from Plainview, LI. 22-1 and 22-2 which will map to virtual 21-1 and 21-2.
post #36 of 17668 Old 07-11-2003, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess we really need some local expertise on this. I spent almost an hour trolling through the FCC pages and search engines and couldn't find any specific dates approved by the FCC for WABC-DT and WNBC-DT.

If anyone can point to the current FCC sapprovided build-out date for the remaining NYC stations could you please post it here?

Thanks.

Rick
post #37 of 17668 Old 07-11-2003, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

All stations on the ESB are covered by extensions....... no specific date.
GT

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #38 of 17668 Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, George. That's sort of what I got from the FCC pages. I would think that the FCC would be a little more up front about the public licenses and extensions it grants...

Rick
post #39 of 17668 Old 07-12-2003, 04:38 AM

I'm in NJ (Morris County) and getting CBS and FOX just fine. I would suspect NBC and ABC would be put up with equal strength. As there doesn't appear to be a nearterm decision on the new tower, I don't think they would limit the power for that reason.

Quote:

Originally posted by cpto
Thanks, George. I'm wondering if you have any information on the radiated power and coverage of the new ESB transmitters. I'm hoping they'll be close to the ones on the WTC so I can receive them here in NJ.

Unfortunately, given the ugly politics that have cropped up about the location for a new antenna, or even a temporary one on Governors Island, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the new transmitters at a much lower power than the old ones, or with different footprints that ignore much of NJ, while the NYC stations wait to see what happens when the dust clears.

Rick

------------
Regards,
David
post #40 of 17668 Old 07-13-2003, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
from a fellow manhattanite to another 8-VSB rocks and it works better than you can imagine. btw the double bowtie on the floor of my apt picked up all the digital stations in the NYC metro area pre-9/11 and at high signal levels. stations received back then OTA were WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, WABC, WWOR, WPIX, WNET, WNYE. So as you can see my first hand experience with OTA 8-VSB has been truly amazing. all you need is a RS double bowtie and you're in business. line of sight is not required either. the double bowtie is UHF only so if you want to receive WPIX then you'll need a VHF antenna as well.
post #41 of 17668 Old 07-13-2003, 06:27 AM

Cool,

You said you got all those channels pre-911. How many do you get now?
post #42 of 17668 Old 07-13-2003, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i get the following OTA stations w/ an RCA DTC100 and the RS Double Bowtie.

WCBS-DT at signal level 79
WYNY-DT at signal level 75

that's with the double bowtie oriented NorthEast away from the ESB. I have north facing windows and my signal levels are higher when I point the antenna towards the window. i'm on the 3rd floor which is not very high up btw.

that's it unfortunately. i haven't tried WPIX-DT since you need a VHF antenna for that. If you want more stations then TWC-NYC offers the above in addition to the following:

WNBC-DT
WABC-DT
WNET-DT
SHOHD
HBOHD

??WPIX-DT recently added and subsequently dropped
post #43 of 17668 Old 07-13-2003, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bill - I'm 22 air miles from the ESB. Even with a rotor, amp, and "fringe" antenna, the NYC stations are very susceptible to degradation from rain, snow, and UFO's cruising around Manhattan.

I suspect that at least some of your problem comes from the lousy weather we've had in the last couple of weeks. Since lower UHF channels on the whole have to have a greater range I'm wondering why WCBC-DT accepted channel 56 instead of one of the lower ones that would give it greater coverage. Maybe they had nothing to say about it but it reminds me of the fights I've read about in the early days of TV broadcasting where the networks were fighting for the lower VHS channels and PBS usually got one of the higher ones.

Maybe that's why CBS-DT drops out when FOX-DT is still fine (Fine in the sense of the signal, not the type of digital signal they're transmitting).

Rick

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Broderick
Over the last week or two, my reception of CBS & Fox has not been great. I used to get both of these stations at a solid 100 signal strength (Toshiba DST-3000). Now they are both fluctuating between high 70's low 80's.

I'm in western Suffolk County. Has anyone else been having reception problems lately?

post #44 of 17668 Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 AM

Personally, I'm trying to figure out why my CBS ch 56 signal is anywhere from 50s to 100 signal strenght but FOX NY 44 ranges from teens to 51 strength.

and even when I have a 51 strength, the picture pixelates and does not stay steady. I'm assuming that Fox is transmitting at lower(??) and that I'm getting intererence.

why only on 44 though since they both transmit from ESB?

BTW, I have 2 ant in attic (4228 facing north for CT, and RS V120 facing towards NY into combiner with CM preamp) and live about 60 mi from ESB
post #45 of 17668 Old 07-15-2003, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ponnie - sounds like you're not doing badly for that distance from NYC. I'm about 22 air miles away in NJ and both channels are very susceptible to weather - even fog.

Rick
post #46 of 17668 Old 07-16-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump
post #47 of 17668 Old 07-17-2003, 02:40 PM

George - a post in the HD Programming Forum confirms that ABC intends to start transmitting HD Monday Night Football with the Hall of Fame Game on August 4. Please please please tell me they are making progress with the combiner atop ESB. I know the 8/4 game is impossible if not unlikely but I hope the first regular season game is not out of the question.
post #48 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

ponnie1996

I have noticed the same problem the only conclusion I can come to and I have yet to confirm this is that WCBS-DT may be broadcasting at a higher ERP than WNYW-DT. Also placement on the main antenna mast at the ESB could possibly effect recption as well.

One other thing I noticed to is during heavy rain fall WNYW-DT's signal really drops off significantly.
post #49 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, here is the latest. We just signed the CBS contract this morning. I think everyone else has signed too. Now it is up to the ESB lawyers to sign off on the lease agreement. That should happen soon and the combiner will be authorized for final construction. 60-90 days. Most likely November.

I don't remember if WNYW-DT is using the mast on the 84th floor parapit or the flat panel bolted to the side of a building down town but they are only running about 250W. The VHF's on ESB have to power down and use the parapit antenna at night since mast work is going on to put the analog antennas back on the mast. Later this year they will be up there too.

GT

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #50 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

George

That explains it. I have noticed that after 1am on some week nights and every weekend for the past 3-4 weeks WNYW-DT would drop off the map. I heard from CBS engineering that there was some work going on up there but iI had no idea that there was mojor work going on.

Thanks for the info.
post #51 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by George Thompson
I don't remember if WNYW-DT is using the mast on the 84th floor parapit or the flat panel bolted to the side of a building down town but they are only running about 250W.

Are you sure about this? Could you have been thinking of WPIX-DT (12) or WNET-DT (61) instead of WNYW-DT (44).
post #52 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I am frantically looking for a back issue of an industry mag that showed a pix of the mast on the setback up there and said what stations they were. There were several stations mentioned by the CE when I talked to him this morning....... I may be confused. My appologies. I will set this straight.
GT

EDIT
WNET-DT is 250W and on the 81st floor setback. NYW-DT is up on the mast,(no mention of power). Article in 1/03 BE magazine. Still, during mast work stations move to alternate antennas on 81.

post #53 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Any idea if WPIX is going to boost their signal or switch to UHF 33 any sooner? Their 0.125kW doesn't get as far as me very well.

So are we saying NBC and ABC should be up by November?
post #54 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by George Thompson
WNET-DT is 250W and on the 81st floor setback. NYW-DT is up on the mast,(no mention of power). Article in 1/03 BE magazine. Still, during mast work stations move to alternate antennas on 81.

When did WNET-DT move to the Empire State Building? I was under the impression that they were temporarily on a different building near Penn Station.
post #55 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 05:24 PM

Maybe someone here can help me.
I live on Long Island, in an apartment with a central Antenna. As of now, it picks up the regular NYC stations well.
My TV is a HDTV plasma panel - Pioneer 4330HD. Dual NTSC tuners.
When I go through the antenna terminal, if I tune TV to any of the HD channels I get only snow.
Is there something else I need to get OTA HD?

If not, looks like I am stuck with 4 HD channels since that's all CV provides as of now.

Thank you
post #56 of 17668 Old 07-18-2003, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

You need an OTA set-top box. NTSC tuners tune regular old analog stations.
post #57 of 17668 Old 07-25-2003, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

George - thanks for your continuing updates. You're a real jewel of information for those of us in the NYC metro area.

Again, thanks for continuing to contribute your knowledge to this thread!

Rick
post #58 of 17668 Old 07-26-2003, 12:13 PM

ok, WB is transmitting once again tg. the question is will the Mets be in in hd tonite, since the last couple of weeks i noticed no hd prg on.

john

free tv
post #59 of 17668 Old 07-27-2003, 09:34 AM

I haven't read this thread for awhile. I thought somebody would have sent this by now. From what I read here and elsewhere. WNET-DT does transmit low power from their studios on I believe W33 ST. The antennas at Empire on the 81st Floor are Channel 13's back up VHF antennas which WPIX-DT is currently using to transmit low power on channel 12.
post #60 of 17668 Old 07-27-2003, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I keep trying to lock in on WPIX-DT. It's just too low power. I am in Morris County, NJ. Unfortunately, I don't have an outdoor antenna. I use the radio shack double bowtie uhf antenna. This antenna is great, it even detects the signal on ch 12, but doesn't lock in even close. I bought a simple VHF amp and hooked it up to a standard set of rabbit ear antennas. Still nothing. However, when I move the VHF antenna to a window, open the window, and stick it out of the window (north facing), the light on the STB is on more frequently, and every 2-10 seconds, I get a burst of 50% power on the signal strength meter, which then drops back to 0. Still can't lock in. Any suggestions? Is there a better indoor VHF type antenna? I think I'm stuck not getting it with my indoor setup though.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page