post #17221 of 17235 Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I thought they had a backup transmitter on 4 Times Square.
No!

That's WABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17222 of 17235 Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmiley View Post
Still having Channel 13 problems. When I first tune to 13-1, all is good. But if I go to another channel and try to return to 13-1, I am getting V-me (13-2 or 13-3, I don't remember). This is annoying. Is it a problem with my digital converter or with the broadcast?
Few months ago, I had the same problems you are talking about I have also written here about it, I did blame wrongfully the Bravia TV, and I have solved the problem by act of Hiding 13-2 and 13-3 and keep open only 13-1, otherwise I would have the same problem you have.

at 13-3 you can not go up nor down, you are stuck, then shutt off the TV and disconnect Antenna, turn the TV on without Antena, punch in different ch.,connect Antenna and delete 13-3 or 24- 3 which ever caused the same problem which is beyond your control
post #17223 of 17235 Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Would you or anyone know what happened to WNYE 25? Signal dropped drastically, barely coming in now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VW View Post
Not sure but one cause could be the really strong tropospheric ducting event which is taking place right now (11:00 local).

I'm near Toms River NJ and watching WVIT, WUNI and others all too far away to be seen here normally. There could be another station on same frequency or close to WNYE taking your receiver out.
Quote:
that must be it, thanks. its not coming in on my tivo's but its coming in on my TV's tuner and on the internal tuner of the slingbox pro-hd.
Still having issues with WNYE, anyone else? very weird that its not coming in on my tivos because it shows no strength but the signal is locked. I get the channels just fine on the internal TV tuners but it also shows a lock with no strength. anyone else seeing this behavior? thanks.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17224 of 17235 Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Still having issues with WNYE, anyone else? very weird that its not coming in on my tivos because it shows no strength but the signal is locked. I get the channels just fine on the internal TV tuners but it also shows a lock with no strength. anyone else seeing this behavior? thanks.
well, i found an email address for "technical operations" at the station and sent them a note about the issues i am having and got the following response from the press secretary of the station:

Quote:
Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are currently undergoing technical upgrades, and some viewers have been affected during this time. We expect the upgrades to be concluded in the near future, at which time the signal should return. We appreciate your patience.
Good to hear that they are upgrading their stuff.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17225 of 17235 Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Would you or anyone know what happened to WNYE 25? Signal dropped drastically, barely coming in now.
I have the same problem here. 25.x used to blast in, now signal is too low to receive with my indoor antenna - and I've moved it around, but no improvement. Hopefully it will come back.

I lost 11.x several months ago. Used to get it OK, now low signal strength.
post #17226 of 17235 Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I like to watch WYNE 25 and enjoy some of its cultural, history, cooking and nature related programming but alas like some of you the signal out here in Morris county is very poor right now. It used to be a decent signal. I hope it is just temporary too.
post #17227 of 17235 Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Liked: 0

this is actually great news, what it says to me that knvn aka metv is getting ready to be fired up at 4 times square next week.
post #17228 of 17235 Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post

this is actually great news, what it says to me that knvn aka metv is getting ready to be fired up at 4 times square next week.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/275729-new-york-ny-ota-575.html#post25983218
post #17229 of 17235 Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM

Liked: 0
theyre tweaking the antenna array at 4 times square, metv will be here next monday on ch3 btw you don't need a low vhf antenna if youre within 10 miles of nyc. I receive wkob ch2 just fine with uhf yagi. knvn signal is going to be signifcantly stronger than knvn.
post #17230 of 17235 Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

The technicians at WNYE-TV stated that they (the station) were undergoing technical upgrades. How would that have anything to do with KVNV? Presumably, WNYE-TV is working on their own equipment either to improve PQ, offer more programming or other services, or maintaining the transmission plant.

Unlike most of the other major New York City TV stations, WNYE-TV does not have an auxiliary facility. When a station works on their transmitter, the engineers likely have to reduce power or cut it altogether. Usually a station switches to the auxiliary facility when this happens. But when a station does not have that option, as is the case for WNYE-TV, reduced power is the best option for both the station and its viewers.

Quote:
theyre tweaking the antenna array at 4 times square, metv will be here next monday on ch3 btw you don't need a low vhf antenna if youre within 10 miles of nyc. I receive wkob ch2 just fine with uhf yagi. knvn signal is going to be signifcantly stronger than knvn.
I don't know whether KVNV will be on the air here next Monday. But I do know that being located within ten miles of New York City does not automatically give OTA viewers a free pass to receive Lo-VHF stations without the need for an antenna with Lo-VHF elements. My location is within ten miles of NYC, and without a large antenna with Lo-VHF elements, WKOB-LD is merely an undecodable blip of a signal on a good day. I'm sure there are some exceptions, as there usually are when it comes to reception. Probably the one person who wouldn't care to watch anything on WKOB-LD and may not even know that OTA television is still on the air or even that it exists is the one person who could pull the station in with a rusted coat hanger dangling off the RF-input of the television set. Or a UHF Yagi. But I would still guess that exception is exceedingly atypical.

KVNV, or whatever call-sign they will be using (I have some interesting theories on this I am not yet prepared to share, but will do so later), will probably be easier to receive given that it will deliver a nearly 7 Kw signal from Manhattan and will enjoy the coveted interference protections that all full-power signals are afforded. Perhaps the lengthy Lo-VHF elements will not be a requirement for some viewers, and I certainly hope that proves to be true.

I believe the OTA signal will prove very beneficial for viewers. If the Middletown Township station will be operated comparably to the Wilmington station presently on the air, OTA viewers will be in for a treat. It is true that certain dayparts of Me-TV on KJWP are preempted for E/I, infomercials, and public affairs programming. But the same isn't the case for the .2
LenL and nyctveng like this.
post #17231 of 17235 Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
The technicians at WNYE-TV stated that they (the station) were undergoing technical upgrades. How would that have anything to do with KVNV? Presumably, WNYE-TV is working on their own equipment either to improve PQ, offer more programming or other services, or maintaining the transmission plant.
Generally, if a new antenna is being installed on a tower, the other stations on that tower have to reduce power to protect the workers on the tower. That would certainly explain a weakened signal from WNYE. I can see on my graphs that WNYE took a nosedive on the 16th or 17th. http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WNYE-TV

I'm not sure what equipment they could be upgrading that would require a week of reduced power without an FCC permit for upgrades, unless they're repairing something that is damaged like a power combiner or actually swapping out their own antenna, which would require being off the air entirely in most cases.

- Trip
LenL and Giacomo Siffredi like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17232 of 17235 Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Liked: 106
Great Info!

Giacomo and Trip,

Thanks for the information which is very helpful in explaining what might be going on now with OTA reception and the possible future addition of more OTA entertainment for those of us who use antennas in the metro NY City area!
post #17233 of 17235 Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Boy, am I in the right place! That's why I got on. I'm on OTA in Yonkers, Westchester County, NY. Until 2 days ago I was getting 25-1 and 25-2, WNYE. So I rescanned my channels just now, and instead I got ch 24. At least i know now it's not my TV, but I sure miss "Democracy Now," a staple in my household.

Should I be expecting the new KVNV soon? What kind of programming do they have, and on what channel?

Last edited by foxycat; 07-25-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #17234 of 17235 Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 PM

Sorry, duplicate post.
post #17235 of 17235 Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Dish Network has WNYE in HD for while. They have all the locals in HD except WLIW but I know it will come soon.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page