post #17221 of 17642 Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I thought they had a backup transmitter on 4 Times Square.
No!

That's WABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17222 of 17642 Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmiley View Post
Still having Channel 13 problems. When I first tune to 13-1, all is good. But if I go to another channel and try to return to 13-1, I am getting V-me (13-2 or 13-3, I don't remember). This is annoying. Is it a problem with my digital converter or with the broadcast?
Few months ago, I had the same problems you are talking about I have also written here about it, I did blame wrongfully the Bravia TV, and I have solved the problem by act of Hiding 13-2 and 13-3 and keep open only 13-1, otherwise I would have the same problem you have.

at 13-3 you can not go up nor down, you are stuck, then shutt off the TV and disconnect Antenna, turn the TV on without Antena, punch in different ch.,connect Antenna and delete 13-3 or 24- 3 which ever caused the same problem which is beyond your control
post #17223 of 17642 Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Would you or anyone know what happened to WNYE 25? Signal dropped drastically, barely coming in now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VW View Post
Not sure but one cause could be the really strong tropospheric ducting event which is taking place right now (11:00 local).

I'm near Toms River NJ and watching WVIT, WUNI and others all too far away to be seen here normally. There could be another station on same frequency or close to WNYE taking your receiver out.
Quote:
that must be it, thanks. its not coming in on my tivo's but its coming in on my TV's tuner and on the internal tuner of the slingbox pro-hd.
Still having issues with WNYE, anyone else? very weird that its not coming in on my tivos because it shows no strength but the signal is locked. I get the channels just fine on the internal TV tuners but it also shows a lock with no strength. anyone else seeing this behavior? thanks.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17224 of 17642 Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Still having issues with WNYE, anyone else? very weird that its not coming in on my tivos because it shows no strength but the signal is locked. I get the channels just fine on the internal TV tuners but it also shows a lock with no strength. anyone else seeing this behavior? thanks.
well, i found an email address for "technical operations" at the station and sent them a note about the issues i am having and got the following response from the press secretary of the station:

Quote:
Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are currently undergoing technical upgrades, and some viewers have been affected during this time. We expect the upgrades to be concluded in the near future, at which time the signal should return. We appreciate your patience.
Good to hear that they are upgrading their stuff.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17225 of 17642 Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Would you or anyone know what happened to WNYE 25? Signal dropped drastically, barely coming in now.
I have the same problem here. 25.x used to blast in, now signal is too low to receive with my indoor antenna - and I've moved it around, but no improvement. Hopefully it will come back.

I lost 11.x several months ago. Used to get it OK, now low signal strength.
post #17226 of 17642 Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I like to watch WYNE 25 and enjoy some of its cultural, history, cooking and nature related programming but alas like some of you the signal out here in Morris county is very poor right now. It used to be a decent signal. I hope it is just temporary too.
post #17227 of 17642 Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 0

this is actually great news, what it says to me that knvn aka metv is getting ready to be fired up at 4 times square next week.
post #17228 of 17642 Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post

this is actually great news, what it says to me that knvn aka metv is getting ready to be fired up at 4 times square next week.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/275729-new-york-ny-ota-575.html#post25983218
post #17229 of 17642 Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM

theyre tweaking the antenna array at 4 times square, metv will be here next monday on ch3 btw you don't need a low vhf antenna if youre within 10 miles of nyc. I receive wkob ch2 just fine with uhf yagi. knvn signal is going to be signifcantly stronger than knvn.
post #17230 of 17642 Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The technicians at WNYE-TV stated that they (the station) were undergoing technical upgrades. How would that have anything to do with KVNV? Presumably, WNYE-TV is working on their own equipment either to improve PQ, offer more programming or other services, or maintaining the transmission plant.

Unlike most of the other major New York City TV stations, WNYE-TV does not have an auxiliary facility. When a station works on their transmitter, the engineers likely have to reduce power or cut it altogether. Usually a station switches to the auxiliary facility when this happens. But when a station does not have that option, as is the case for WNYE-TV, reduced power is the best option for both the station and its viewers.

Quote:
theyre tweaking the antenna array at 4 times square, metv will be here next monday on ch3 btw you don't need a low vhf antenna if youre within 10 miles of nyc. I receive wkob ch2 just fine with uhf yagi. knvn signal is going to be signifcantly stronger than knvn.
I don't know whether KVNV will be on the air here next Monday. But I do know that being located within ten miles of New York City does not automatically give OTA viewers a free pass to receive Lo-VHF stations without the need for an antenna with Lo-VHF elements. My location is within ten miles of NYC, and without a large antenna with Lo-VHF elements, WKOB-LD is merely an undecodable blip of a signal on a good day. I'm sure there are some exceptions, as there usually are when it comes to reception. Probably the one person who wouldn't care to watch anything on WKOB-LD and may not even know that OTA television is still on the air or even that it exists is the one person who could pull the station in with a rusted coat hanger dangling off the RF-input of the television set. Or a UHF Yagi. But I would still guess that exception is exceedingly atypical.

KVNV, or whatever call-sign they will be using (I have some interesting theories on this I am not yet prepared to share, but will do so later), will probably be easier to receive given that it will deliver a nearly 7 Kw signal from Manhattan and will enjoy the coveted interference protections that all full-power signals are afforded. Perhaps the lengthy Lo-VHF elements will not be a requirement for some viewers, and I certainly hope that proves to be true.

I believe the OTA signal will prove very beneficial for viewers. If the Middletown Township station will be operated comparably to the Wilmington station presently on the air, OTA viewers will be in for a treat. It is true that certain dayparts of Me-TV on KJWP are preempted for E/I, infomercials, and public affairs programming. But the same isn't the case for the .2
LenL and nyctveng like this.
post #17231 of 17642 Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
The technicians at WNYE-TV stated that they (the station) were undergoing technical upgrades. How would that have anything to do with KVNV? Presumably, WNYE-TV is working on their own equipment either to improve PQ, offer more programming or other services, or maintaining the transmission plant.
Generally, if a new antenna is being installed on a tower, the other stations on that tower have to reduce power to protect the workers on the tower. That would certainly explain a weakened signal from WNYE. I can see on my graphs that WNYE took a nosedive on the 16th or 17th. http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WNYE-TV

I'm not sure what equipment they could be upgrading that would require a week of reduced power without an FCC permit for upgrades, unless they're repairing something that is damaged like a power combiner or actually swapping out their own antenna, which would require being off the air entirely in most cases.

- Trip
LenL and Giacomo Siffredi like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17232 of 17642 Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Great Info!

Giacomo and Trip,

Thanks for the information which is very helpful in explaining what might be going on now with OTA reception and the possible future addition of more OTA entertainment for those of us who use antennas in the metro NY City area!
post #17233 of 17642 Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Boy, am I in the right place! That's why I got on. I'm on OTA in Yonkers, Westchester County, NY. Until 2 days ago I was getting 25-1 and 25-2, WNYE. So I rescanned my channels just now, and instead I got ch 24. At least i know now it's not my TV, but I sure miss "Democracy Now," a staple in my household.

Should I be expecting the new KVNV soon? What kind of programming do they have, and on what channel?

Last edited by foxycat; 07-25-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #17234 of 17642 Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry, duplicate post.
post #17235 of 17642 Old 07-26-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Dish Network has WNYE in HD for while. They have all the locals in HD except WLIW but I know it will come soon.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #17236 of 17642 Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Exclamation The New Call-Sign for Channel 3 at Middletown Township

Following up on my post of July 25, 2014, I indicated then that I have some "interesting theories" regarding the ultimate call-sign for Channel 3 at Middletown Township following its eventual launch. I am now prepared to share them.

The consensus now is that KVNV will not be that ultimate call-sign. This is likely true. The "NV" stands for the stations' home-state of Nevada. And like sister station KJWP, whose call-sign was KJWY while in that stations' home-state (the "WY" standing for Wyoming), a call-sign change is highly likely.

There have been at least two reports of two separate e-mails from PMCM TV personnel (one of which was reported on this forum), each claiming the new call-sign will be WJLP. Despite the seeming authentication of a reliable source, I am going out on a long limb tonight to say that WJLP will NOT be the stations' new call-sign.

The new call-sign for Channel 3 at Middletown Township following its eventual launch will be....

KJLP

Here now I present what I maintain to be airtight evidence to substantiate this prognostication:

Exhibit A: As has already been established, call-sign WJLP is presently assigned to the U.S. Coast Guard, and the FCC's call-sign reservation system declares it "Not Available". 47 CFR 73.3550(k) specifies: "Four-letter combinations commencing with “W” or “K” which are assigned as call signs to ships or to other radio services are not available for assignment to broadcast stations, with or without the “-FM” or “-TV” suffix.";

Exhibit B: According to PMCM's main website for it's television stations, http://pmcmtv.com/, the Middletown Township channel 3 operation is referred to by two call-signs: The current KVNV and KJLP;

Exhibit C: PMCM's website for KJWP Wilmington is http://kjwp2.com/. Applying that URL combination to the three possible call-signs for Channel 3, which are KVNV, KJLP, and WJLP, attempts to access each website reveals that http://kvnv3.com/ redirects to http://pmcmtv.com/, http://kjlp3.com/ loads up a blank white page, and http://wjlp3.com/ is presently unregistered;

Exhibit D: When examining the domain records for these five websites, the following records of ownership are revealed: http://kjwp2.com/ was created on 2014-04-17, expires on 2019-04-17, and the site is hosted by GoDaddy.com. http://kvnv3.com/ was created on 2014-04-17, expires on 2019-04-17, and the site is hosted by GoDaddy.com. http://kjlp3.com/ was created on 2014-04-17, expires on 2019-04-17, and the site is hosted by GoDaddy.com. http://pmcmtv.com/ was created by Robert McAllen on 2013-11-21, expires on 2015-11-21, and the site is hosted by GoDaddy.com. And http://wjlp3.com/ has never before been registered and is available;

Exhibit E: A further investigation of domain records reveals that website http://kjlptv.com/ was created by Robert McAllen on 2013-11-21, expires on 2018-11-21, and the site is hosted by GoDaddy.com. And just like http://kjlp3.com/, http://kjlptv.com/ loads up a blank white page. Conversely, http://wjlptv.com/ has never before been registered and is available; and,

Exhibit F: The call-sign KJLP is presently only in use by an FM radio station licensed to Palmer, Arkansas. FCC rules presently allow for the same call-sign to be used by multiple licensees, provided of course that each licensee operates their station on a different service.

This overwhelming evidence, in conjunction with the fact that the Wilmington station retained a "K" call-sign following it's move to a location east of the Mississippi, substantiates that the most likely call-sign that PMCM TV will request for Channel 3 at Middletown Township is KJLP.
nyctveng likes this.
post #17237 of 17642 Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The new call-sign for Channel 3 at Middletown Township following its eventual launch will be....

KJLP

So when are they gonna throw the switch?

I rescanned this morning. Nada.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #17238 of 17642 Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Someone mentioned channel 13 issues, did they change anything at the source lately? I know it's a weaker frequency, but I have been able to tune it in, in months.
post #17239 of 17642 Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
Someone mentioned channel 13 issues, did they change anything at the source lately? I know it's a weaker frequency, but I have been able to tune it in, in months.
I was under the impression that it had not changed power, but the only changes were in PSIP IDs. What I would recommend doing is unplugging your antenna, rescanning, replugging, and rescanning.
post #17240 of 17642 Old 07-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Following up on my post of July 25, 2014, I indicated then that I have some "interesting theories" regarding the ultimate call-sign for Channel 3 at Middletown Township ...

The consensus now is that KVNV will not be that ultimate call-sign. This is likely true. ... I am going out on a long limb tonight to say that WJLP will NOT be the stations' new call-sign.

KJLP

Here now I present what I maintain to be airtight evidence to substantiate this prognostication:

Exhibit F: The call-sign KJLP is presently only in use by an FM radio station licensed to Palmer, Arkansas. FCC rules presently allow for the same call-sign to be used by multiple licensees, provided of course that each licensee operates their station on a different service.
Alaska, not Arkansas, but that's a minor quibble. The bigger question is whether the renamed KVNV will be allowed to keep channel 3 as its virtual channel number even though a portion of KVNV's coverage area overlaps the coverage area of WFSB (RF 33, virtual channel 3) in Connecticut. WFSB has some sort of special status that allows part of what would be KVNV's area to be considered part of WFSB's market area. I'm not sure how the regulations work.

It would be great if KVNV could revive interest in OTA reception, even on VHF-Lo, but getting a good channel position on the cable systems must be even more important to the station's prospects.
post #17241 of 17642 Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 PM

Hey Veedon,
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Alaska, not Arkansas, but that's a minor quibble.
Thank you for pointing this out. Perhaps it is minor to you, but for current and prior residents of either U.S. state, or other people who have a connection to Alaska and Arkansas, such an error may resound more significantly. Accordingly, I promptly acknowledge this error and extend my apologies.
post #17242 of 17642 Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
The bigger question is whether the renamed KVNV will be allowed to keep channel 3 as its virtual channel number even though a portion of KVNV's coverage area overlaps the coverage area of WFSB (RF 33, virtual channel 3) in Connecticut. WFSB has some sort of special status that allows part of what would be KVNV's area to be considered part of WFSB's market area. I'm not sure how the regulations work.

It would be great if KVNV could revive interest in OTA reception, even on VHF-Lo, but getting a good channel position on the cable systems must be even more important to the station's prospects.
This is a VERY significant issue. First, this may ultimately delay the sign-on of KVNV. Second, the ramifications of not being permitted to identify as channel 3 would likely be devastating to PMCM TV because their station's value, inclusive of its monetary value, could be significantly and irreparably harmed. Also, the decision rendered by the FCC could be precedent setting, and I sense that any decision will be appealed by the losing party.

The antagonist here is Meredith Corporation, based in Des Moines, Iowa, and licensee of WFSB Hartford, channel 33, in the state of Connecticut.

According to documents filed with the FCC, here is what happened: Meredith filed an informal objection to the modification application objecting to PMCM’s future operations on virtual channel 3 because WFSB(TV) had been assigned that channel since 2004. Meredith argued that because the two stations’ noise limited contours have significant overlap, both stations cannot operate on the same virtual channel. Meredith further argued that, under the PSIP Standard adopted by the Commission, KVNV(TV) should be assigned virtual channel 33, which is WFSB(TV)’s RF channel. On April 17, 2014, the Video Division granted PMCM’s application and dismissed Meredith’s informal objection as premature, stating that a station’s virtual channel designation is customarily considered after grant of the license modification application in a separate proceeding that solely addresses the virtual channel designation. Meredith filed a timely Petition for Reconsideration and Request for Declaratory Ruling on May 22, 2014, again asserting that KVNV(TV) should be assigned virtual channel 33, which PMCM opposes. Briefing on this matter closed on July 11, 2014, and a decision has not yet been issued.

The areas major cable operators (Cablevision, Comcast, and Time Warner) took notice of this dispute, then they followed suit by requesting the FCC to grant a waiver of Section 76.64(f)(4) which specifically allows the MVPD’s to defer carriage of KVNV until 90 days from the date there is a final decision on the station’s virtual channel. The FCC has granted this waiver.

Presently, the matter is before the FCC which will have to decide whether PMCM TV can legally identify their channel number as channel 3. The decision will affect both the station's on-air signal and MVPD carriage position. Therefore, the station and its potential viewers will likely be held hostage, so to speak, until this matter is resolved.

Meredith's arguments stem, in part, from the fact that their WFSB operates in the Hartford-New Haven DMA. An FCC market modification, however, added Fairfield County, Connecticut into that local market, and Fairfield County is in the New York DMA.

What Meredith conveniently omits from any of their filings is that their channel 33 signal provides no reliable coverage in KVNV's COL of Middletown Township, NJ., and anywhere else in New Jersey for that matter. They also ignore the fact that WFSB is not carried on most, if any, MVPD systems in New Jersey and New York City.

The disputed territory in this matter should be isolated to only those specific areas in which WFSB's signal provides reliable coverage and/or is carried over channel 3 on that area's MVPD systems. This would essentially reduce the disputed areas to those in and around southern Connecticut, and perhaps isolated portions of Long Island, New York.

Instead, Meredith insists on strong-arm tactics and exerting its will upon a television station and its audience, most, if not, all of whom are not connected in any way to WFSB nor have access to its programming.

And despite established FCC policy, there is this. Meredith essentially gave up their rights to channel 3 when they elected to remain on pre-transition RF channel 33. Conversely, PMCM TV is entering the market on RF channel 3 and intends to accurately represent as a channel 3 operation. PMCM TV has also presented solid arguments in support of their position, specifically "that 'given the unique circumstances of KVNV’s transition to New Jersey' it would thwart the Court’s mandate to change its PSIP channel", and, "that its right to mandatory carriage of KVNV(TV) on channel 3 'is so well settled as to require no elaboration here.'"

To reiterate, by taking up this issue, the FCC has essentially taken a punitive stance against PMCM TV and the entire New York DMA. The decision is both excessive, overbearing, and unfair. This matter should be isolated only to those areas where there is truly a conflict. In those isolated instances, surely a compromise could be reached and perhaps PMCM TV could accept a few southern Connecticut MVPDs assigning their station an alternate channel, and Meredith would be unharmed in any way. Meredith's self-serving proposal would pose significant harm to PMCM TV, and must ultimately be rejected as expeditiously as possible in no uncertain terms of a rulemaking.
post #17243 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
This is a VERY significant issue. First, this may ultimately delay the sign-on of KVNV. Second, the ramifications of not being permitted to identify as channel 3 would likely be devastating to PMCM TV because their station's value, inclusive of its monetary value, could be significantly and irreparably harmed. Also, the decision rendered by the FCC could be precedent setting, and I sense that any decision will be appealed by the losing party.

The antagonist here is Meredith Corporation, based in Des Moines, Iowa, and licensee of WFSB Hartford, channel 33, in the state of Connecticut.

According to documents filed with the FCC, here is what happened: Meredith filed an informal objection to the modification application objecting to PMCM’s future operations on virtual channel 3 because WFSB(TV) had been assigned that channel since 2004. Meredith argued that because the two stations’ noise limited contours have significant overlap, both stations cannot operate on the same virtual channel. Meredith further argued that, under the PSIP Standard adopted by the Commission, KVNV(TV) should be assigned virtual channel 33, which is WFSB(TV)’s RF channel. On April 17, 2014, the Video Division granted PMCM’s application and dismissed Meredith’s informal objection as premature, stating that a station’s virtual channel designation is customarily considered after grant of the license modification application in a separate proceeding that solely addresses the virtual channel designation. Meredith filed a timely Petition for Reconsideration and Request for Declaratory Ruling on May 22, 2014, again asserting that KVNV(TV) should be assigned virtual channel 33, which PMCM opposes. Briefing on this matter closed on July 11, 2014, and a decision has not yet been issued.

The areas major cable operators (Cablevision, Comcast, and Time Warner) took notice of this dispute, then they followed suit by requesting the FCC to grant a waiver of Section 76.64(f)(4) which specifically allows the MVPD’s to defer carriage of KVNV until 90 days from the date there is a final decision on the station’s virtual channel. The FCC has granted this waiver.

Presently, the matter is before the FCC which will have to decide whether PMCM TV can legally identify their channel number as channel 3. The decision will affect both the station's on-air signal and MVPD carriage position. Therefore, the station and its potential viewers will likely be held hostage, so to speak, until this matter is resolved.

Meredith's arguments stem, in part, from the fact that their WFSB operates in the Hartford-New Haven DMA. An FCC market modification, however, added Fairfield County, Connecticut into that local market, and Fairfield County is in the New York DMA.

What Meredith conveniently omits from any of their filings is that their channel 33 signal provides no reliable coverage in KVNV's COL of Middletown Township, NJ., and anywhere else in New Jersey for that matter. They also ignore the fact that WFSB is not carried on most, if any, MVPD systems in New Jersey and New York City.

The disputed territory in this matter should be isolated to only those specific areas in which WFSB's signal provides reliable coverage and/or is carried over channel 3 on that area's MVPD systems. This would essentially reduce the disputed areas to those in and around southern Connecticut, and perhaps isolated portions of Long Island, New York.

Instead, Meredith insists on strong-arm tactics and exerting its will upon a television station and its audience, most, if not, all of whom are not connected in any way to WFSB nor have access to its programming.

And despite established FCC policy, there is this. Meredith essentially gave up their rights to channel 3 when they elected to remain on pre-transition RF channel 33. Conversely, PMCM TV is entering the market on RF channel 3 and intends to accurately represent as a channel 3 operation. PMCM TV has also presented solid arguments in support of their position, specifically "that 'given the unique circumstances of KVNV’s transition to New Jersey' it would thwart the Court’s mandate to change its PSIP channel", and, "that its right to mandatory carriage of KVNV(TV) on channel 3 'is so well settled as to require no elaboration here.'"

To reiterate, by taking up this issue, the FCC has essentially taken a punitive stance against PMCM TV and the entire New York DMA. The decision is both excessive, overbearing, and unfair. This matter should be isolated only to those areas where there is truly a conflict. In those isolated instances, surely a compromise could be reached and perhaps PMCM TV could accept a few southern Connecticut MVPDs assigning their station an alternate channel, and Meredith would be unharmed in any way. Meredith's self-serving proposal would pose significant harm to PMCM TV, and must ultimately be rejected as expeditiously as possible in no uncertain terms of a rulemaking.
I am from northern Long Island. No connecticut signal, including WFSB, has ever been caught by me. It is out of the DMA of me, New Jersey, and New York. The only ones that I have heard were caught were WFSB8 in the analog days.

Edit: WTNH, and this was over 30 years ago.

Last edited by mod50ack; 07-31-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #17244 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Alaska, not Arkansas, but that's a minor quibble. The bigger question is whether the renamed KVNV will be allowed to keep channel 3 as its virtual channel number even though a portion of KVNV's coverage area overlaps the coverage area of WFSB (RF 33, virtual channel 3) in Connecticut. WFSB has some sort of special status that allows part of what would be KVNV's area to be considered part of WFSB's market area. I'm not sure how the regulations work.
I don't think regulations work, if any exist.

I have problems with one of my DTA's (a CM7000) handling stations that broadcast the same virtual channel info.

In southwwest Nassau County, I can receive both WZME (RF42, 43.1)
I can also receive WNYX-LD (RF43, 43.1)

When my CM7000 does a scan, it finds both stations, but it keeps the last channel info it finds, and overwrites WZME with WNYX-LD.

My other DTA allows me to search channels individually.
post #17245 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM

Not to mention that WCBS-TV uses the same *physical* channel (not virtual) and seems to be doing just fine!
post #17246 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

How have i never heard of this? What does this mean, exactly?

Also, given the fact (also alluded to elsewhere) that the FCC was stupid enough to grant adjoining markets CBS affiliates the same phyical channel, my hope is not high that a suitable resolution will come out of this!
post #17247 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod50ack View Post
Not to mention that WCBS-TV uses the same *physical* channel (not virtual) and seems to be doing just fine!
WFSB is mostly concerned with losing the Ch.3 slot on cable systems such as Cablevision that carry both NY & CT stations. There's a good chance they would lose Ch.3 slot at least in Fairfield Cty systems.
post #17248 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM

update on metv. I spoke to someone at 4 times square. this afternoon they said that wplj would be debuting by friday.
post #17249 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Although I'm not from New York, I find KVNV's situation very interesting because it will be a test of the viability of broadcasting on VHF-Lo in a major metropolitan area, and it will also be fascinating to see how advertisers react to a station in a major market having Me-TV as the primary affiliation. Will MeTV on KVNV be able to attract more and better advertisers than MeTV on WZME did?

The whole business of broadcasting on an RF channel that differs from the channel number that the stations have historically used for branding and marketing purposes raises issues. I can certainly see why a station would want to be able to use the channel number that it has always used to attract advertisers. I mean, could you imagine WGN in Chicago not being Channel 9 or your own WPIX not being Channel 11?

So, I do think that WFSB has a legitimate reason for wanting to be known as Channel 3 in the places where it has a history of being known as that. But that should not stop KVNV from being Channel 3 in other places. That would be easy enough to do on cable systems. (Just have WFSB take the Channel 3 slot on the Connecticut cable systems, but let the new KVNV have the channel 3 slot on the cable systems outside Connecticut.

But how do you handle things OTA. If somebody is viewing the channels OTA in that part of Connecticut where both stations' signals can be received, then the tuner is going to receive the same PSIP info for the new KVNV as a person watching OTA in New Jersey would receive. Now, if there were a translator in Connecticut that could broadcast a special KVNV signal with PSIP info for just the Connecticut area, that could solve the problem, but that would be an expense that KVNV would not want to bear.

I wonder whether KVNV could agree to be on a subchannel of WFSB in Connecticut and adjust its main transmitter so that the KVNV signal from Times Square would not reach into Connecticut. That would require a business agreement between the two stations, and it would deprive KVNV of being a -1 channel in Connecticut.

Last edited by veedon; 07-30-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #17250 of 17642 Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
update on metv. I spoke to someone at 4 times square. this afternoon they said that wplj would be debuting by friday.

WPLJ are the call letters? I highly doubt that?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page