post #17281 of 17854 Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I wonder how valuable it is for a station to have a low channel number on a cable system rather than a higher channel number.
incredibly valuable. it can make or break a station. WLNY-55 identifies itself as 10/55 due to the ch10 placement on CV & FIOS. WFUT enjoys the ch17 slot on CV,FIOS,RCN while others carry them way up on 68.

WNYC (now WPXN) was moved from 3 to 31 on TWC Manhattan systems and fought to get the 3 slot back. When the station was sold to Pax, TWC moved it to 31 and put it's then parent owned TNT back to 3. Back then parent owned stations NY1, TNT, TBS, E!, CNN, CNNfn, HBO, Cinemax were all below channel 30.

TWC NYC has always gotten better programming fees for lower channel placement because networks want to make sure Madison Ave advertisers see their stations. They made a sweetheart deal with NBC a few years back to have their networks on consecutive channels 14 thru 18. Obscure networks that were previously in the 100+ range like Bloomberg & Investigative Discovery paid to play and ended up on channels below 30.

Cable companies get commissions on sales from shopping stations so they typically get low channel placement. Get the idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17282 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
WJLP 3 Update

Well, i was kinda right that the recent weather affected the launch. My contact passed the following along when I asked about a new launch date.

Quote:
Delays have been more frequent due to weather (rain). We are also dealing with unexpected and unwelcome FCC issues . I'd rather depend on the weather ! Hope to fire up antenna in about 2 weeks for over the air service, cable carriage a month away. Did I mention the unions? ! Regards

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17283 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Well, i was kinda right that the recent weather affected the launch. My contact passed the following along when I asked about a new launch date.
This is promising. Could you ask your contact if MeTV programming will begin in 2 weeks as well?
post #17284 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
A rain delay? Really?

This station was supposed to be on the air, initially, by the second quarter of 2014. That date was pushed back to the end of July 2014. In July 2014, within the immediate NYC area, there were 10 out of 31 days which had measured precipitation in the form of rain. 3 out of those 10 days occurred during a weekend. 3 out of those 10 days (to be fair, these 3 occurred on weekdays) had rain that exceeded one inch. And the majority of the 1"+ soaker rain days occurred immediately before the 4th of July holiday, which this year was adjacent to a weekend.

Now I understand that transmitting antennas aren't installed in a day, and yes, weather can play some sort of a role in causing delays for such work. But for all intents and purposes, this Summer, in terms of weather, has been relatively uneventful, rather dry, rather cool, and with no significant storms.

When WCBS-TV meteorologist Lonnie Quinn remains fully dressed for his weather reports, you KNOW the forecast is typical.

Using the reasoning that the delays encountered in launching this station are due to precipitation, Meredith and any of the NYC area MVPDs will have nothing to worry about because this station will not take to the air.

Perhaps this is why KVNV survived so well back in the semi-arid climate of Nevada
reddice likes this.
post #17285 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
We also had several tower jobs delayed last month due to weather as well. If it wasn't raining it was too windy to climb.
Our engineer was very frustrated by delays last month....

If you've ever had to coordinate a tower job- you know how many factors are involved- once you get bad weather it's not like you can just show up the next day and start climbing.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #17286 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
We also had several tower jobs delayed last month due to weather as well. If it wasn't raining it was too windy to climb.
Our engineer was very frustrated by delays last month....

If you've ever had to coordinate a tower job- you know how many factors are involved- once you get bad weather it's not like you can just show up the next day and start climbing.
If anyone is watching wzme right now, there is no metv programming being shown, color bars are in its place. looks very likely that METV is off air. Possible that kvnv is logging on soon

Last edited by uhfyagi; 08-04-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #17287 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
If anyone is watching wzme right now, there is no metv programming being shown, color bars are in its place. looks very likely that METV is off air. Possible that kvnv is logging on soon
Or more likely they're experiencing technical difficulties. Surely if they are to indeed lose access to MeTV programming whether it be today or next month, they 'll have a plan in place to put alternate content on like infomercials rather than color bars. Infomercials make more money than color bars.
post #17288 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
Or more likely they're experiencing technical difficulties. Surely if they are to indeed lose access to MeTV programming whether it be today or next month, they 'll have a plan in place to put alternate content on like infomercials rather than color bars. Infomercials make more money than color bars.
they use the metv newyork logo when they're having difficulties. we'll see soon by 8 tonite.

it was change programming that metv changed today they took off mash and have donna reed show, wzme must be really understaffed to be off the air like an hour.

Last edited by uhfyagi; 08-04-2014 at 05:50 PM.
post #17289 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
they use the metv newyork logo when they're having difficulties. we'll see soon by 8 tonite.
MeTV programming has resumed on WZME
post #17290 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
MeTV programming has resumed on WZME
But not showing what zap2it reads they should be, nor the guide data they are broadcasting...

They are showing an old western instead of Kotter.
post #17291 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
But not showing what zap2it reads they should be, nor the guide data they are broadcasting...

They are showing an old western instead of Kotter.
Looks like they're showing videos from METV vault. Satellite feed must be down.
post #17292 of 17854 Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They were broadcasting this screen for a while (attached) until it went to an informercial, eventually (though they're supposed to be showing MeTV programming for that timeslot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wzme.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	197105  
post #17293 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatronic View Post
They were broadcasting this screen for a while (attached) until it went to an informercial, eventually (though they're supposed to be showing MeTV programming for that timeslot).
I also noticed from both off air (43.1) and Verizon (Ch. 19) last night there was only "Me Tv" bug. It did not say "New York" I also noticed it was showing west coast programming. At 930P it showed the Riffleman. This morning at 430A it had 70's hits informercial.
Something is not right because it does not reflect the guide. Is WZME just showing vaulted or time delayed shows until new the station takes over?
post #17294 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsat94 View Post
I also noticed from both off air (43.1) and Verizon (Ch. 19) last night there was only "Me Tv" bug. It did not say "New York" I also noticed it was showing west coast programming. At 930P it showed the Riffleman. This morning at 430A it had 70's hits informercial.
Something is not right because it does not reflect the guide. Is WZME just showing vaulted or time delayed shows until new the station takes over?
The guide info match what they were broadcasting this morning before 8am.
MeTV was showing an infomercial, IIRC.
The Works (on WZME-DT2 43.2) was showing "Empire of the Ants"
post #17295 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
What difference does affiliation make? That can change at anytime although unlikely for the CBS-NY in this particular case.
Ask an NFL fan if they would have a problem losing 2 possible CBS networks due to 33 being assigned in adjoining markets. Mind you, it's a small sample, but still...
reddice likes this.
post #17296 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Ask an NFL fan if they would have a problem losing 2 possible CBS networks due to 33 being assigned in adjoining markets. Mind you, it's a small sample, but still...
Small Sample that has a jointenna pointing in two directions in an effort to receive two distant, yet considered in-market, stations on the same frequency.
I think I could count on my hand the number of people who have two super-yagis... one pointed to ESB, the other to Hartford, to received these two CBS stations.
post #17297 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
Small Sample that has a jointenna pointing in two directions in an effort to receive two distant, yet considered in-market, stations on the same frequency.
I think I could count on my hand the number of people who have two super-yagis... one pointed to ESB, the other to Hartford, to received these two CBS stations.
You can't seriously be talking about numbers of actual viewers with regards to OTA impact - if that were the case, the whole thing would be gone, tomorrow!

As to the original question, the FCC cares enough to report it...

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...urrent/CBS.pdf

WFSB only lost almost a half a million possible viewers from the transition - what's that amongst friends? The number of people that lost CBS as a result of the transition in Fairfield and New Haven counties is fairly big, compared to the rest of the map, especially factoring in for population.
post #17298 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
You can't seriously be talking about numbers of actual viewers with regards to OTA impact - if that were the case, the whole thing would be gone, tomorrow!

As to the original question, the FCC cares enough to report it...

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...urrent/CBS.pdf

WFSB only lost almost a half a million possible viewers from the transition - what's that amongst friends? The number of people that lost CBS as a result of the transition in Fairfield and New Haven counties is fairly big, compared to the rest of the map, especially factoring in for population.
But this argument is outside the scope of the K-Whatever discussion about broadcasting on RF-3.

Someone else posted earlier in this thread about WFSB and WCBS both using RF-33 for their OTA Ops... and it's been this way since the switch. It should have been addressed then, not now.

If a viewer cannot receive either WCBS or WFSB via OTA right now, I am certain they are making use of cable or DBS for their OTA viewing. As stated earlier, it MIGHT be an issue for those where the markets overlap, and they need to locate their stations if K-Whatever gets the Ch 3 position on the payTV system.

WCBS is constructing (or already has) a translator on RF-22 out in Plainview, which should improve CBS reception dur to WFSB, and give those in CT a second CBS market feed.

Last edited by dstoffa; 08-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #17299 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WCBS-22 is already operating. Has been for some time.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17300 of 17854 Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Did anybody bother to ask the Nutmeggers whether they want to watch NYC stations? Maybe they're just not so enamored with NYC. ( They're probably not too fond of Carolinians, either, considering how we stole their Whalers from them.)
post #17301 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Makes me wonder who was assigned their digital channel first? WFSB-TV of Hartford has always had their digital assignment on channel 33. The ones who moved in Hartford/New Haven were:

WCCT-TV (CW) channel 20 Waterbury [was on 12...transmitter in Farmington, CT]
WEDH-TV (PBS) channel 24 Hartford [was on a different channel early on]
WHPX-TV (ION) channel 26 New London [was on 34...transmitter in Montville, CT]

The short-spacing of Hartford/New Haven also affects Boston/Worcester. The best example there is WCVB-TV (ABC) channel 5. They use channel 20 for their digital.

As for the Carolina Hurricanes and the NHL, I'm long past that stage, thank you!
post #17302 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
As proposed back in 1997, WCBS-DT was on 56, WPIX-DT on 33, WEDH-DT on 32, WFSB-DT on 11, and WWLP-DT also on 33. So great were the concerns about adjacent-channel interference between WTNH-10 and WFSB-11 that the FCC in the 1998 R&O swapped the WFSB and WWLP allotments.

Then in the channel elections, WPIX elected to return to 11, and WCBS didn't have a place to go (analog 2, digital 56). 45 was tied up with WABC trying to force their way back onto 7 despite the presence of WNJB on 8 (but wanting 45 held just in case) and so 33 was the best available option.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17303 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Icannot understand why kvnv be on ch3 here in nyc, and fsb stays the same in ct. Just put kvnv on 33 or 34 in ct. Case closed.
post #17304 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Icannot understand why kvnv be on ch3 here in nyc, and fsb stays the same in ct. Just put kvnv on 33 or 34 in ct. Case closed.
a simple google search and a quick read through of KVNV's wiki page will answer your question pretty quickly.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17305 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Things are going to get worse when they chop off another 100 MHz for useless mobile companies. I predict in another 10 years there won't be any more OTA broadcasts or even FM as most of the spectrum will go to mobile use. Everything will then be broadcasting on cable, satellite, internet and mobile.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #17306 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Things are going to get worse when they chop off another 100 MHz for useless mobile companies. I predict in another 10 years there won't be any more OTA broadcasts or even FM as most of the spectrum will go to mobile use. Everything will then be broadcasting on cable, satellite, internet and mobile.
You couldn't be more wrong. With 4k coming on ota is gonna be around longer than you n me.
post #17307 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. With 4k coming on ota is gonna be around longer than you n me.
No chance of 4K coming to OTA, not in the US with ATSC standards. (DVB-T/HEVC works with it, though)

Anyway, I think that 4K is wholly unnecessary for me, but that's probably because my vision is awful. I still sometimes record programming on EP VHS tapes!

On the other hand, WFUT-TV68/30 may soon have a new subchannel. Starting today I have been picking up GetTV on 30-4 as well as 68-3.

As for the end of terrestrial TV, I don't see it happening anytime soon. It's growing in popularity today, actually.
post #17308 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod50ack View Post
No chance of 4K coming to OTA, not in the US with ATSC standards. (DVB-T/HEVC works with it, though)

As for the end of terrestrial TV, I don't see it happening anytime soon. It's growing in popularity today, actually.
But the networks hate that though. They want you to subscribe to a expensive cable/satellite package just to stream there content online which is free OTA.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #17309 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
But the networks hate that though. They want you to subscribe to a expensive cable/satellite package just to stream there content online which is free OTA.
Unfortunately, that's true.... luckily, here in New York, I have 70+ channels on DTV. The networks (at least the big ones) do not seem to be interested in dropping their stations.

1) CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, and such all own stations and selling off expensive equipment used to broadcast would likely be difficult.

2) PBS and the smaller networks that depend on must-carry will certainly maintain the craft, if you will.

Also, does anybody know what W19EH and W26DC (both low power) air? I live within a few miles of these stations (in Lake Success and Roslyn, respectively) and may be interested in orienting to catch them depending on what they have. If they are like WMUN and just show infomercials I'm not interested.
post #17310 of 17854 Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM

There are way to many infomercials channels in NYC. If you look at Philadelphia ota channel listings they have less channels but they utilize their channels with real programming, unlike NYC. I count at least 3 channels that have Chinese news 32,35,43. If these channels were used correctly we've had METV,retro,and others.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception