14Likes

post #17341 of 17369 Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothe View Post
Still here! But nothing new and exciting to discuss.

So... change of subject: is anyone else still having trouble picking up WNYE (25)? Let me clarify: is anyone else WHO ISN'T WITHIN TEN MILES of the transmitter having trouble? I would have thought that they'd be finished with their upgrades by now.

Still having WNYE issues here. No 3 yet either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17342 of 17369 Old 08-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod50ack View Post
same here, but i wonder if WNYE problems has to do with KVNV? im just speculating and the reason is because look at this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ng-around.html

this guy says he works for them, took down "the top antenna" and will be installing the KVNV antenna in the next couple of weeks. Just posted and asked him. lets see if there is a response.
uhfyagi likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17343 of 17369 Old 08-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a question. What will eventually be on 41.3? Right now it is blank.
post #17344 of 17369 Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
same here, but i wonder if WNYE problems has to do with KVNV? im just speculating and the reason is because look at this thread:

this guy says he works for them, took down "the top antenna" and will be installing the KVNV antenna in the next couple of weeks. Just posted and asked him. lets see if there is a response.
I live 7 miles east of ESB I have not seen wnye signal fluctuate, the way is being described by everyone, is been solid thru and thru. I'm getting strong inversion tonite, boston's wgbh a pbs station maxing out strengthwise on my zenith stb. all my Connecticut stations are being overridden by another station must be a real strong ducting enjoy while it last.
post #17345 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post
I have a question. What will eventually be on 41.3? Right now it is blank.
Bounce TV.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17346 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod50ack View Post

Same here no WNYE (25.1-3), no 3 and no 41.3.
post #17347 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

because of vacations, Burning Man and "i got better things to do" are the reasons why KVNV is not up yet

http://www.city-data.com/forum/36253087-post20.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Myself and others are either on vacation and one of the tv engineers goes out to the "Burning Man" festival out in the desert every year at this time. I will fill in if I get info, I'm busy elsewhere.
uhfyagi likes this.

post #17348 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Bounce TV.

- Trip
we receive bounce on 9.4 whats with the repeat stations , how bout giving us tufftv or cooltv. hey trip did you pickup up that cm4251 how is working for you?
post #17349 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Bounce's affiliation agreement with Fox is ending, and it's moving to 41-3.

I've got it but haven't yet tested it out. I don't have a roof mount for it yet, nor a mast pipe.

- Trip
uhfyagi likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17350 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
WCBS as well....

This afternoon, 2.1 has been very weak. All other stations (save the missing 25) are normal in strength. I have a line of sight to NYC from my location....normally very stable.

2.1 is clearly running low power.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #17351 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
This afternoon, 2.1 has been very weak. All other stations (save the missing 25) are normal in strength. I have a line of sight to NYC from my location....normally very stable.

2.1 is clearly running low power.
not at my location:

and not according to this: http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WCBS-TV

post #17352 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM

I got chimney mount and a pole if you want it is yours
post #17353 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
not at my location:

and not according to this: http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WCBS-TV
Cool Resource !

I have a far fringe antenna (old RS, second from top, looks like a channelmaster knock off) and am 40 miles upriver from NYC. I have a very stable signal between 62-97 % for the NYC broadcasters. I feed four TV sets OTA and two stereo tuners, without an amp.

There is a minor seasonal fluctuation for the trees, but that's it. CBS is normally 85 %, but had dropped in my location to >50 % and was losing lock (admittedly with a first gen Sony HDD 250 tuner). The pixellation was kinda trippy, though....

I'll have to bookmark that.

Back in the day, DX from Philly was common.....at least I still get all the NYC channels, it allowed me to cut a cord.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #17354 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
not at my location:

Aero, what device are you using to produce this rather nifty signal info?
post #17355 of 17369 Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Aero, what device are you using to produce this rather nifty signal info?
Tivo

post #17356 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Des anyone here know what my best option would be out on Long Island - Exit 47? I'm in Plainview(11803), NY and I am looking for an antenna that I can mount in my house. I am mainly looking for Fox so I can watch the NY Giants.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2fea0d80f996

Last edited by mambwe; Yesterday at 10:18 AM.
post #17357 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Des anyone here know what my best option would be out on Long Island - Exit 47? I'm in Plainview(11803), NY and I am looking for an antenna that I can mount in my house. I am mainly looking for Fox so I can watch the NY Giants.

are you looking to place an antenna indoors? if you are, you might get away with simple rabbit ears and loop or those rediculous mohu leafs, but you will most likely have trouble with hi-vhf channels (WPIX, WABC and PBS). i would think that at that distance, although you are LOS, an outdoor antenna would be better.

post #17358 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Why is the Mohu Leaf ridiculous? That was one antenna I was looking at. I definitely want WABC.
post #17359 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why is the Mohu Leaf ridiculous? That was one antenna I was looking at. I definitely want WABC.
its ridiculous because of the marketing claims they make that people fall for. all it is a $1 wire laminated in plastic that sells for $30+. does it work? sure, for some people. will it work for you? who knows, you'll have to try it. the mohu states that it will receive hi-VHF signals at 30+ miles away, i havent been able to do that and if you search around, not many people at that distance can. Mohu is great at marketing, lousy at antennas.

read this: http://www.hdtvexpert.com/tag/indoor-dtv-reception/

tl;dr: a $4 radio shack bowtie antenna beat out the mohu and other expensive antennas at his location.

it might work for you, try it, but i have a feeling that you will need something bigger or outside to pull in those vhf channels, especially RF 7 ABC.

post #17360 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you serious about pulling in the high-VHF channels (7, 11 and 13) you defiantly need a roof antenna. Before with the indoors only channel 7 came in as 11 and 13 were weaker.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #17361 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
Cool Resource !

I have a far fringe antenna (old RS, second from top, looks like a channelmaster knock off) and am 40 miles upriver from NYC. I have a very stable signal between 62-97 % for the NYC broadcasters. I feed four TV sets OTA and two stereo tuners, without an amp.

There is a minor seasonal fluctuation for the trees, but that's it. CBS is normally 85 %, but had dropped in my location to >50 % and was losing lock (admittedly with a first gen Sony HDD 250 tuner). The pixellation was kinda trippy, though....

I'll have to bookmark that.

Back in the day, DX from Philly was common.....at least I still get all the NYC channels, it allowed me to cut a cord.
Love that track transeurope express, I use boogie to that back I the days, also like numbers, pocket calculator. I use to get philly stations from Howard beach, queens with a. Radio shack antenna analog
post #17362 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

What? The report says that people might be able to receive KVNV on RF3 at a distance of 27 miles with just an indoor antenna? Not likely.
post #17363 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
What? The report says that people might be able to receive KVNV on RF3 at a distance of 27 miles with just an indoor antenna? Not likely.
TVFool is reflecting the new CP for almost 7 kW from 4 Times Sq at 1116'. That facility, once built and at full power, should give coverage about 60-65 miles out on Long Island. A long set of rabbit ears might get it well enough at 27 miles.
post #17364 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
TVFool is reflecting the new CP for almost 7 kW from 4 Times Sq at 1116'. That facility, once built and at full power, should give coverage about 60-65 miles out on Long Island. A long set of rabbit ears might get it well enough at 27 miles.
Jane's hill is close to you it might hamper reception if you're on the wrong side. That's why most of queens cannot receive wlny tv55.
post #17365 of 17369 Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

Wkob rf ch is 2, I receive it with a yagi uhf antenna perpendicular or broadside to wkob TV tower is a trick that works cause the antenna is 2/3 the size of the wavelength of wkob. I summize that kvnv signal will be prone to adjacent channel interference, hence it will be somewhat weaker and less reliable to what tvfool is suggesting.

b tv tower.ink it might interfere with kvnv,
post #17366 of 17369 Old Today, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
The report says that people might be able to receive KVNV on RF3 at a distance of 27 miles with just an indoor antenna? Not likely.
Quote:
What works on paper doesn't always work in the field. Many television broadcasters learned this lesson the hard way soon after June 12, 2009.

The KVNV signal may be there (once PMCM gets around to turning it on), but reliable reception of it may prove a challenge to all but an attic/outdoor antenna. When major-market network O&O full-power VHF-Hi signals prove a challenge to indoor antennas in most scenarios, don't even think about attempting VHF-Lo reception with an indoor antenna.

The KVNV signal will also likely suffer intermittently from bouts of impulse noise and other atmospheric phenomenon. While a viewer in New Jersey, New York City, or Long Island is frustratingly twisting his/her indoor antenna every which way to pull in the Me-TV signal that was just fine two hours ago, a random guy in Kentucky may be sitting back enjoying that very same signal with minimal disruption due in large part to his well-crafted outdoor antenna and a healthy dose of E-Skip.

All of these serve as valid reasons to obtain and install an attic/outdoor antenna if you have any serious desires of reliably receiving this signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
Wkob rf ch is 2, I receive it with a yagi uhf antenna perpendicular or broadside to wkob TV tower is a trick that works cause the antenna is 2/3 the size of the wavelength of wkob. I summize that kvnv signal will be prone to adjacent channel interference, hence it will be somewhat weaker and less reliable to what tvfool is suggesting.

b tv tower.ink it might interfere with kvnv,
As I eluded to in an earlier post, the days when WKOB-LD poses any signal threat to KVNV by way of adjacent channel interference may be numbered. The licensee of WKOB-LD holds a recently modified CP to move that signal to West Orange, NJ. and it's RF channel to UHF RF 42. Per regulations, a low-power signal may present no interference to a full-power signal, regardless of which signal was there first.

Once KVNV signs-on, if the station determines that WKOB-LD is causing any harmful interference, they can request the FCC grant any relief necessary, including shutting down the station, to eliminate the interference. WKOB-LD is taking a pre-emptive move to ensure its place in this market, and will likely be ready to complete its move if and/or when this scenario develops. When WKOB-LD moves off channel 2, the only adjacent channel interference that could be posed to KVNV would be from atmospheric conditions and/or out-of-market operations.

If WKOB-LD departs channel 2, the move would likely help with reception of KVNV, but I don't believe it would be so significant as to negate all of the issues of the VHF-Lo band. I do not base these hypotheses on WKOB-LD reception, I base them on WABC-TV reception. If a full-power VHF-Hi station is difficult to receive with an indoor antenna at certain locations, it can best be surmised that the same scenario played out on the VHF-Lo Band would prove more challenging and difficult.

These statements are intended to be realist. However, it is my hope that the KVNV signal will prove better than expected, thus allowing for a larger audience from potential viewers who are not subscribers to a pay television service.
post #17367 of 17369 Old Today, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
What works on paper doesn't always work in the field.
Very, very true. Thanks for the expanded explanation.
post #17368 of 17369 Old Today, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Very, very true. Thanks for the expanded explanation.
High vhf and low vhf are two separate group of bands which behave totally differently, ABC signal is a clear strong signal which has 70+ effective radius I've received their signal as far south as Tom's river nj. The one plus that vhf low has and high vhf doesn't their signal can be got 100+ miles which ABC 7 cannot touch.
post #17369 of 17369 Old Today, 08:45 AM

Do you have any suggestions on a specific antenna? I would rather not mount outside. What would give me the best reception while still using an indoor/outdoor antenna in my attic.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page