Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Do you have any suggestions on a specific antenna? I would rather not mount outside. What would give me the best reception while still using an indoor/outdoor antenna in my attic.
we don't have your location please goto tvfool plug in your address and generate a report, be accurate as possible, use 20 ft for height.
I posted my report earlier but I don't think I did with 20 ft height. Here it is with 20 ft height:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243709aedd1b6

Thank you for your help!!

Last edited by mambwe; 08-29-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17372 of 17377 Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
we don't have your location please goto tvfool plug in your address and generate a report, be accurate as possible, use 20 ft for height.
he posted it yesterday.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #17373 of 17377 Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It seems that your location is good candidate for small antenna, you can getaway with something like a hd1080x from solid signal, I can't seem to post a link so just go to their site take a view, this antenna has vhf elements in a small package.
post #17374 of 17377 Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs up Antenna Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Do you have any suggestions on a specific antenna? I would rather not mount outside. What would give me the best reception while still using an indoor/outdoor antenna in my attic.
Quote:
It seems that your location is good candidate for small antenna, you can getaway with something like a hd1080x from solid signal, I can't seem to post a link so just go to their site take a view, this antenna has vhf elements in a small package.
The antenna recommended by uhfyagi, not surprisingly by his username , is this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd1080x

The HD1080X is not a bad little antenna. But it comes with many deficiencies, the two major ones being it is extremely directional and it lacks any VHF-Lo elements.

Given mambwe's preference to perform an attic installation, the consequences of these two major deficiencies would be intensified.

Attic installations are great for many reasons:
1. The antenna is sheltered from the harsh elements.
2. It is relatively accessible for the consumer to safely make adjustments to it as necessary, and to even do so during inclement weather.
3. It is situated at as high an elevation as possible (though limited by the roofline)
4. In most cases, the antenna is not occupying living space and is thus not in anyone's way.
5. The antenna size is limited only by the size of the proposed assigned space.

However, the one major drawback to an attic installation is signal absorption and refraction.

The structure's siding may absorb some of the signals, particularly if it is metallic. The structure itself, again more likely if it is metallic, may also absorb some of the signals. And signals which do penetrate the attic walls and roof decking are subject to refraction within the enclosed attic.

Accordingly, an antenna which is attic-mounted should be omnidirectional and large enough to attract as much signal as possible. Additionally, given the recent additions of TV signals to the VHF-Lo band, an antenna with VHF-Lo elements is more crucial now than in the immediate DTV post-transition days and months.

Therefore, I recommend the AntennaCraft 5884 Color King VHF UHF FM TV Antenna, found here: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nna-%285884%29

Mambwe, by splurging an additional $7.00, it is my considered opinion that you will enjoy better and more reliable reception.
post #17375 of 17377 Old 08-30-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Additional Thoughts

Having an antenna in the NY Market that picks up VHF low band is NOT crucial unless the low band station is important to the viewer. I would think there are very very very few people who would consider getting channel 3 VHF as critical and needing to go out of there way to find a antenna to pick it up.

Secondly from what I have read and my own experience with attic mount antennas you lose up to 50% or more of your signal. That may not be a problem if you are in very strong reception areas but it does not work for many people. That is why so many people had/have antennas on there roofs and chimneys before cable.
post #17376 of 17377 Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey Len,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Having an antenna in the NY Market that picks up VHF low band is NOT crucial unless the low band station is important to the viewer. I would think there are very very very few people who would consider getting channel 3 VHF as critical and needing to go out of there way to find a antenna to pick it up.
It is premature at this point to declare a VHF-Lo band antenna as not critical, be it in the NYC market or anywhere else.

The final repacking of the TV bands has not yet occurred. Unfortunately, if any repacking occurs, it will likely result in an additional loss of available RF channels from the UHF band to broadcasters and ultimately OTA viewers. In that distasteful event, some broadcasters - perhaps even network O&Os - may find themselves contemplating a move to VHF-Lo.

Therefore, it would be more cost-effective for OTA viewers presently seeking to install new antennas to prepare for this possibility. It would be somewhat costly and time-consuming to install a VHF-Hi/UHF combo antenna now, only to have to one day dismantle it and reinstall the somewhat more expensive and substantially larger VHF-Lo capable counterpart.

I feel you have to look ahead. Following the DTV transition in 2009, the VHF-Lo band was all but abandoned in the U.S. due to the impulse noise issues and their catastrophic effects on the ATSC signals. Almost immediately afterward, viewers discovered problems receiving stations on the VHF-Hi band, resulting in viewer complaints to station engineers. These newly found vulnerabilities for ATSC signals in the VHF band resulted in station owners seeking displacement to the UHF band, if possible.

No sooner was the DTV transition complete, then came the treasury department's desires to sell off MORE of the UHF band to private mobile carriers to use for expansion of fee-for-service mobile broadband services. After back-and-forth between the NAB, independent broadcasters, mobile carriers, and the FCC, an incentive auction plan that was more fair to broadcasters than originally drafted was signed into law by congress. Suddenly, the TV bands appear they will be shrunk once again, thus creating a renewed interest in bands and channels that once were undesirable, but now seem less so because it is either them or nothing.

At the end of 2009, there was only one VHF-Lo television channel broadcasting in the New York City market and one in the Philadelphia market. As things presently look, at the end of this year, 2014, there will be two, maybe three, VHF-Lo television channels broadcasting in the New York City market and three in the Philadelphia market. By my count, that constitutes a crucial need for a VHF-Lo band antenna, seeing as those five once undesirable and vacant channels are now quickly being occupied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Secondly from what I have read and my own experience with attic mount antennas you lose up to 50% or more of your signal. That may not be a problem if you are in very strong reception areas but it does not work for many people. That is why so many people had/have antennas on there roofs and chimneys before cable.
Oh, if it's a choice between chimney/roof mount or an attic mount installation, I believe you go for the chimney/roof mount, and include an electronic rotor. But many people are disenfranchised because they either cannot access the rooftop or cannot find someone who is knowledgeable and/or willing to perform the installation. This was not a problem back in the pre-cable days you speak of, but it is today.
post #17377 of 17377 Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
GRIT TV 41-4 is now live; 41-3 has blank screen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture_20140830_181731.jpg (71.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page