16Likes

post #17431 of 17455 Old 09-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
Can you tell me what antenna are using to receive philly stations from your location it must be at least 80 miles distance. Myself I use AD 91xg to get connecticut, my furthest reliable station is metv or wzme out of Shelton,ct 57 miles on tvfool.
channel master 5020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17432 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
MEtv 3 delayed to Mid 2015?

https://www.facebook.com/TheBigJoeHe...29673103820232

Quote:
Hey Guys, as most of you know we have been on The New Channel 2 in Philadelphia Sunday nights at 10pm with our TV show The Big Joe Henry Variety Show. Our friends at MeTV have been working diligently in finding a time slot that would best present our show. In addition, they have been working feverishly trying to get a brand new Channel 3 up and on the air in the New York market. We were scheduled to be on the air in New York by July. Due to unforeseen circumstances the New York station will not be up and running until mid 2015. As a result of those circumstances I have decided to put the broadcast of our show on a temporary hiatus. We look forward to producing new shows, and invite you to join us this Wednesday night 9/17 at McLoone’s Supper Club in Asbury Park as we tape our 20th and 21rst shows. We will continue to support our friends at MeTV and look forward to being back on the air in Philadelphia and New York soon. As always thanks so much for your support and to keep informed on the latest developments please check in with us at bigjoehenry.com and on Facebook at The Big Joe Henry Variety Show. My Best, Big Joe Henry

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17433 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello I have a Channel Master 4228 on a mast that is about 40ft up on the roof , 19.8 miles out from the ESB in Westfield, NJ. There is about a 20ft run of Quad Shield cable with no splitter or amp connected. I get all UHF channels fine with excellent signal strength. However I have problems with VHF 7.1 WABC. The signal strength is right at 40% and just at the edge of being able to tune. In fact when it rains I guess due to multipath it comes in fine. No ability to tweak or rotate the antenna has yielded improved signal strength.

I bought a Channel Master 7778 VHF and UHF amplifier mast mount. Connecting it overpowers my UHF channels and I lose some of them. So this is not a great option.

Can people please share how they solved this. Anyway to just boost the VHF signal inline. I really dont want to have to combine a second antenna (yagi) to just pull in one channel.
post #17434 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvd View Post
Hello I have a Channel Master 4228 on a mast that is about 40ft up on the roof , 19.8 miles out from the ESB in Westfield, NJ. There is about a 20ft run of Quad Shield cable with no splitter or amp connected. I get all UHF channels fine with excellent signal strength. However I have problems with VHF 7.1 WABC. The signal strength is right at 40% and just at the edge of being able to tune. In fact when it rains I guess due to multipath it comes in fine. No ability to tweak or rotate the antenna has yielded improved signal strength.

I bought a Channel Master 7778 VHF and UHF amplifier mast mount. Connecting it overpowers my UHF channels and I lose some of them. So this is not a great option.

Can people please share how they solved this. Anyway to just boost the VHF signal inline. I really dont want to have to combine a second antenna (yagi) to just pull in one channel.
the 4228 is a UHF antenna although it says it does vhf. you need a vhf element. something like the antennas direct CS5 that you would join with your 4228. you dont need an amp, you need vhf elements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17435 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
the 4228 is a UHF antenna although it says it does vhf. you need a vhf element. something like the antennas direct CS5 that you would join with your 4228. you dont need an amp, you need vhf elements.
Thanks for the quick reply. So i would just mount this below the CM 4228 and than combine the signal into one run.

Is it that simple?
post #17436 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. So i would just mount this below the CM 4228 and than combine the signal into one run.

Is it that simple?
yes, its that simple and it comes with an uhf/vhf combiner. i have one below an antennas direct db4 on my chimney.

post #17437 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 0
your overdriven your hd4228 antenna get rid of the preamp, you need a separate vhf antenna for ch 7/11/13. get one these for vhf http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=CS600&ss=292766 you need a combiner for both antennas here is one that i use for my antennas http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=UVSJ&d=Pico-Macom-UVSJ-UHF-VHF-Band-SeparatorCombiner-for-Antenna-%28UVSJ%29&c=Signal%20Combiners&sku= it has less than 1 db insertion loss. let us know how it goes
post #17438 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 09:20 PM

aero1 nice picture of your setup, i'm viewing your chimmey mount, is it a rohn type. I bought a winegard brand from crutchfield, i paid like $12 it goes for $30 at ebay or solidsignal. is really sturdy I have my antenna at 15 feet over the roofline, I was surprise just raising the mast 5 feet I can get additional channel also signal is stronger than at 10 ft, too bad metv won't be in nyc till next summer. I know you were ready for premiere, you said you bought a low-band vhf antenna for kvnv, it sound to me like fcc put this in the back burner. cu
post #17439 of 17455 Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's such a drag about ME-TV being delayed again in New York City. Everyone else in the country seems to have it already. I wish they'd just signed onto a strong UHF channel. As it is I have to put up with seeing it over Time Warner's "switched" channel system on my Tivo, so when my tuning adapter goes on the blink I miss a number of my late night favorite shows being recorded.
post #17440 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
aero1 nice picture of your setup, i'm viewing your chimmey mount, is it a rohn type. I bought a winegard brand from crutchfield, i paid like $12 it goes for $30 at ebay or solidsignal. is really sturdy I have my antenna at 15 feet over the roofline, I was surprise just raising the mast 5 feet I can get additional channel also signal is stronger than at 10 ft, too bad metv won't be in nyc till next summer. I know you were ready for premiere, you said you bought a low-band vhf antenna for kvnv, it sound to me like fcc put this in the back burner. cu
thanks. i dont know what a rohn type is, but this is the one i got: http://amzn.com/B0029U2XE0

yea, i got a lo vhf antenna at the beginning of the year and installed it in the attic in order to beat the heat for the june launch, but we know how that went. I joined it with the existing two antennas and it increased the vhf signal significantly on the other channels. now just have to wait until next year and see if the attic mount works.

post #17441 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
thanks. i dont know what a rohn type is, but this is the one i got: http://amzn.com/B0029U2XE0

yea, i got a lo vhf antenna at the beginning of the year and installed it in the attic in order to beat the heat for the june launch, but we know how that went. I joined it with the existing two antennas and it increased the vhf signal significantly on the other channels. now just have to wait until next year and see if the attic mount works.
You can now, wkob ch2, do you receive their signal? Usually reverts to ch42 on most stbs.
post #17442 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Hello fellow Westfielder - FYI, I have the very same VHF antenna Aero 1 is using (Antennas Direct C5), and for the moment it simply hangs below an east-facing second floor window behind some bushes. Even in that terrible location, it pulls in every station from 2-13 (and plenty more) with just a small amplifier (Winegard LNA-100).
post #17443 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can now, wkob ch2, do you receive their signal? Usually reverts to ch42 on most stbs.
I'm in a location where it is very, very difficult for me to get wkob due to its low power but i can now see a signal in the low 30's with the lo antenna where as before i got nothing.

post #17444 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm in a location where it is very, very difficult for me to get wkob due to its low power but i can now see a signal in the low 30's with the lo antenna where as before i got nothing.
your location probably is multipath prone being in lower location than surrounding area, you probably better off using a yagi type antenna for multipath, i use only yagi type; I'm surrounded by buildings I don't have line of sight to esb or any stations, I aim my antenna to a building that bounces the signal to my antenna. I still get a strong signal from my location for pbs out of connecticut, at night i can receive an additional stations one vhf one uhf.
post #17445 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
your location probably is multipath prone being in lower location than surrounding area, you probably better off using a yagi type antenna for multipath, i use only yagi type; I'm surrounded by buildings I don't have line of sight to esb or any stations, I aim my antenna to a building that bounces the signal to my antenna. I still get a strong signal from my location for pbs out of connecticut, at night i can receive an additional stations one vhf one uhf.
no, Im to far away and i do have a yagi for lo vhf. the radiation pattern doesnt reach me and my location is at the tail end of the pattern.

post #17446 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseha View Post
That's such a drag about ME-TV being delayed again in New York City. Everyone else in the country seems to have it already. I wish they'd just signed onto a strong UHF channel. As it is I have to put up with seeing it over Time Warner's "switched" channel system on my Tivo, so when my tuning adapter goes on the blink I miss a number of my late night favorite shows being recorded.

Why are they having so much trouble launching? It can't just be the need to wait for the FCC's decision on a virtual channel number, can it? Maybe the company just underestimated the time it would need to get the tower working.

On the Me-TV Facebook page, commenters from Philly are always complaining about KJWP preempting Me-TV programming, but I don't think those viewers understand that local affiliates have to be able to run some local programming to get local advertising revenue.
post #17447 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
On the Me-TV Facebook page, commenters from Philly are always complaining about KJWP preempting Me-TV programming, but I don't think those viewers understand that local affiliates have to be able to run some local programming to get local advertising revenue.
TV stations are required to air some E/I programming to retain their license. I'm sure there are more viewers for MeTV content than whatever crap E/I programming is being aired so it's not a ad revenue issue.
post #17448 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
TV stations are required to air some E/I programming to retain their license. I'm sure there are more viewers for MeTV content than whatever crap E/I programming is being aired so it's not a ad revenue issue.

The complaints were not about E/I programming. The station was running some kind of local variety show on Sunday nights, and some of the complainers wanted to see the Me-TV programming instead.
post #17449 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
The complaints were not about E/I programming. The station was running some kind of local variety show on Sunday nights, and tsome of the complainers wanted to see the Me-TV programming instead.
most of metv affiliates run the metv lineup with no hiccups. is just these 2 stations that are messing around.
post #17450 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
most of metv affiliates run the metv lineup with no hiccups. is just these 2 stations that are messing around.

But most of the Me-TV affiliates in large markets have other networks as their primary affiliation and only carry Me-TV as a secondary affiliation, on a subchannel. These two stations are trying something new, having Me-TV as their primary affiliation and trying to get carriage on cable systems in huge markets. Don't you think the stations might want to attract some local advertising dollars?
post #17451 of 17455 Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
PMCM TV, LLC.'s KVNV Alternate PSIP Proposal

PMCM TV, LLC. (KVNV) has countered Meredith Corporation (WFSB) with an Alternate PSIP Proposal.

Per the FCC Media Bureau filing: "PMCM proposes that KVNV(TV) be assigned a two-part virtual PSIP channel 3.10 (with any additional program streams eventually transmitted on KVNV(TV) identified as 3.11, 3.12, etc.), while WFSB(TV) would retain virtual channel 3.1 through 3.9." KVNV(TV) also has significant contour overlap with KYW-TV, RF channel 26, virtual channel 3, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, licensed to CBS Broadcasting Inc. Under PMCM’s proposal, KVNV(TV) would be available to over-the-air viewers exclusively on channels 3.10 (and 3.11, etc.) throughout its footprint. As cable systems typically do not employ two-part channel numbers, KVNV(TV) would request carriage on cable channel 3, except in Fairfield County, Connecticut."

The FCC published this proposal on September 12, 2014. They are seeking public comments, which can be submitted from October 14, 2014 through October 29, 2014. DA 14-1298 can be found here: http://www.fcc.gov/document/mb-announces-filing-alternative-psip-proposal-kvnvtv
nyctveng likes this.
post #17452 of 17455 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
PMCM TV, LLC. (KVNV) has countered Meredith Corporation (WFSB) with an Alternate PSIP Proposal.

Per the FCC Media Bureau filing: "PMCM proposes that KVNV(TV) be assigned a two-part virtual PSIP channel 3.10 (with any additional program streams eventually transmitted on KVNV(TV) identified as 3.11, 3.12, etc.), while WFSB(TV) would retain virtual channel 3.1 through 3.9." KVNV(TV) also has significant contour overlap with KYW-TV, RF channel 26, virtual channel 3, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, licensed to CBS Broadcasting Inc. Under PMCM’s proposal, KVNV(TV) would be available to over-the-air viewers exclusively on channels 3.10 (and 3.11, etc.) throughout its footprint. As cable systems typically do not employ two-part channel numbers, KVNV(TV) would request carriage on cable channel 3, except in Fairfield County, Connecticut."

The FCC published this proposal on September 12, 2014. They are seeking public comments, which can be submitted from October 14, 2014 through October 29, 2014. DA 14-1298 can be found here: http://www.fcc.gov/document/mb-announces-filing-alternative-psip-proposal-kvnvtv
Giacomo, this is ridicolous, why dont the FCC just pass an amendment use real channels no more psp, or virtual channels problems solved.

Last edited by uhfyagi; Yesterday at 11:56 PM.
post #17453 of 17455 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post

I like the proposal. It allows the new KVNV to be Channel 3 for all of its OTA viewers while still allowing WFSB and KYW to be Channel 3 both OTA and on cable systems in areas where those stations have historically marketed themselves as Channel 3.

The main objection will likely be that some OTA viewers could be misled into thinking that the KVNV feeds on 3.10, 3.11, etc. are subchannels belonging to station WFSB or subchannels belonging to station KYW. This could be remedied by requiring all of the stations to do station identification announcements (on all of their subchannels) that announce the call letters and maybe even announce the company that owns the station. (Wouldn't it be nice to know what company is responsible for the station?)
post #17454 of 17455 Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am told that KVNV-TV 3 will be on the air on or before October 1st 2014.
post #17455 of 17455 Old Today, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post
I am told that KVNV-TV 3 will be on the air on or before October 1st 2014.
by who? ill believe it when i see it. the station manager has given me 4 different dates in the past 5 months now.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page