post #17641 of 17642 Old Today, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Hey unsmiley,

Where are you located, and what brands and model numbers are both of your analog to digital converter boxes?

Perhaps the converter box cannot display "3.10" until it receives the PSIP information from the broadcaster. Once the station is received, the "3.1" may change to "3.10" This I why I recently suggested to another OTA viewer who had problems receiving WJLP and has a similar setup to yours to manually enter "3.1"

You should know that her reception problem was satisfactorily resolved with the helpful suggestions from myself and others on this forum.

Hard to determine the cause of your reception problems without some testing. Based on your post here, the causes could be the tuner or the location of the TV.

What I can confirm is that the four channel 3 subchannels are or were from WBQM-LD. WBQM-LD transmits on UHF channel 50, and last identified with virtual channels 3-1 through 3-4 in November 2013. That being said, it is plausible that the weak signal you were detecting was, in fact, that of WJLP.

The rescan, IMHO, is an overused panacea that rarely resolves reception problems. Local broadcasters, from the small independent station to major market network O&O affiliates, are oftentimes just as guilty as the most well-meaning hobbyist when suggesting that viewers rescan their devices.

The worst example is when a new subchannel is added and the station announces that viewers can obtain it by rescanning. The fact is that MOST new subchannels automatically are added to consumer equipment as soon as they are lit up by the broadcaster, so long as the channel is already added on the consumer equipment.

Receiving VHF-Lo television stations requires extensive patience and a time commitment for plenty of trial-and-error. If a viewer does not have the appropriate attic or rooftop antenna with VHF-Lo elements, that viewer can expect the aforesaid challenges.

MY SUGGESTIONS: I will offer the same suggestion to you as I did two weeks ago to the viewer I referenced above.

Be sure the Rabbit-Ear antenna is securely and snugly connected to the Converter Box. Using the numeric keypad, manually tune the TV/Converter Box to RF 3, 3-1, and/or 3-10. Extend the rabbit-ear elements fully and position the elements so they are parallel to the floor.

It is essential that the converter box is tuned to RF 3 while you are adjusting the antenna. That is the only way you can ascertain in real time whether or not you can obtain a useable signal.

One other thing: It is advisable to wait to try this until the present weather system consisting of rain and wind moves out of the area. The current forecast calls for this to occur late this afternoon.
My digital to analog converter box is a Digital Stream DTX9900 from Radio Shack (which is hooked up to my old analog tube Sony Wega Trinitron 27" TV). My other TV (the one that successfully picks up Me-TV) is a modern LCD screen Sony Bravia 32BX300 that has a built in tuner (ie: no digital to analog converter necessary).

I am located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan on the 12th floor of a high rise.

I will try your antenna suggestion when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17642 of 17642 Old Today, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Hey unsmiley,

Where are you located, and what brands and model numbers are both of your analog to digital converter boxes?

Perhaps the converter box cannot display "3.10" until it receives the PSIP information from the broadcaster. Once the station is received, the "3.1" may change to "3.10" This I why I recently suggested to another OTA viewer who had problems receiving WJLP and has a similar setup to yours to manually enter "3.1"

You should know that her reception problem was satisfactorily resolved with the helpful suggestions from myself and others on this forum.

Hard to determine the cause of your reception problems without some testing. Based on your post here, the causes could be the tuner or the location of the TV.

What I can confirm is that the four channel 3 subchannels are or were from WBQM-LD. WBQM-LD transmits on UHF channel 50, and last identified with virtual channels 3-1 through 3-4 in November 2013. That being said, it is plausible that the weak signal you were detecting was, in fact, that of WJLP.

The rescan, IMHO, is an overused panacea that rarely resolves reception problems. Local broadcasters, from the small independent station to major market network O&O affiliates, are oftentimes just as guilty as the most well-meaning hobbyist when suggesting that viewers rescan their devices.

The worst example is when a new subchannel is added and the station announces that viewers can obtain it by rescanning. The fact is that MOST new subchannels automatically are added to consumer equipment as soon as they are lit up by the broadcaster, so long as the channel is already added on the consumer equipment.

Receiving VHF-Lo television stations requires extensive patience and a time commitment for plenty of trial-and-error. If a viewer does not have the appropriate attic or rooftop antenna with VHF-Lo elements, that viewer can expect the aforesaid challenges.

MY SUGGESTIONS: I will offer the same suggestion to you as I did two weeks ago to the viewer I referenced above.

Be sure the Rabbit-Ear antenna is securely and snugly connected to the Converter Box. Using the numeric keypad, manually tune the TV/Converter Box to RF 3, 3-1, and/or 3-10. Extend the rabbit-ear elements fully and position the elements so they are parallel to the floor.

It is essential that the converter box is tuned to RF 3 while you are adjusting the antenna. That is the only way you can ascertain in real time whether or not you can obtain a useable signal.

One other thing: It is advisable to wait to try this until the present weather system consisting of rain and wind moves out of the area. The current forecast calls for this to occur late this afternoon.
Update: Giacomo Siffredi, Your antenna trick works!

I tuned channel 3.1 on the converter box, and it jumped to (and displayed) 3.10, and bang -- I am getting Me-TV!! I then was able to add the channel and save it as a favorite on my converter box. I haven't played with it yet, but will this mean I have to move the antenna to the parallel to floor position every time I want to view Me-TV?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page