29Likes
post #17761 of 17785 Unread 11-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
So I finally found the letter. The one that was issued after WJLP ignored the FCC's initial order to map to 33-1.

It orders WJLP off the air if and only if it does not map to 33-1. So is the station running as 33-1 now as ordered? (Bear in mind some tuners will let old PSIP "stick" until rescanned.)

- Trip
It's up on 3.10. You DC boys going to head up to Jersey with a swat team and battering ram?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17762 of 17785 Unread 11-12-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When WJLP left Ely, Nevada, didn't they leave that population without locally originating TV service? The press releases and news stories from the co-owned media aren't mentioning that. I'm a fan of impartial news, so I'm having trouble with the stories selling this Nevada move-in as the "victim". Would a well-researched, neutral report mention the people in Nevada without local video content because of the Nevada-to-NYC 3? It would put the editorialized label of "bullying" by CBS and Meredith into perspective.

Wasn't WBQM-LD on virtual 3 in NYC (without the significant overlap) before the Nevada 3? Did the Nevada station push WBQM-LD off of 3? I think LPTV is only secondary as far as interference-- not PSIP.
post #17763 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengabus (Richard) View Post
When WJLP left Ely, Nevada, didn't they leave that population without locally originating TV service? The press releases and news stories from the co-owned media aren't mentioning that. I'm a fan of impartial news, so I'm having trouble with the stories selling this Nevada move-in as the "victim". Would a well-researched, neutral report mention the people in Nevada without local video content because of the Nevada-to-NYC 3? It would put the editorialized label of "bullying" by CBS and Meredith into perspective.

Wasn't WBQM-LD on virtual 3 in NYC (without the significant overlap) before the Nevada 3? Did the Nevada station push WBQM-LD off of 3? I think LPTV is only secondary as far as interference-- not PSIP.
I would not mourn too much for the good people of Ely, NV.
It looks as though they are still able to receive quite a bit of OTA programming via translators carrying signals from stations in larger cities in Nevada and Utah.

In fact, Ely might have more OTA viewing options than some small towns in the state of New York.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...callsign=72240
post #17764 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Aero

If you don't like my opinions YOU can clearly see one of my posts identified as being from me and simply DON'T read it. This is a public forum and last I checked there is freedom of speech and opinion.

Secondly, others may or may not like what I have to say but they should at least get another point of view on this forum and NOT just yours!

Finally having no need for buying another antenna to watch 3.1 programming is probably something that inflames some people on this forum but is probably a reality for 99.99% of OTA viewers who like me CAN'T receive 3.1. If the people who own METV and work for them read this forum they should have done their homework and realized that they have a problem and it isn't just me, the FCC, CBS etc..
post #17765 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
In fact, Ely might have more OTA viewing options than some small towns in the state of New York.
Just to clarify, that list represents 12 sources throughout Central Nevada at different locations (not necessarily at Ely, but I can't argue that because I don't have time right now to check).

Also, none are local, which is the most important point here by far.
post #17766 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Finally having no need for buying another antenna to watch 3.1 programming is probably something that inflames some people on this forum but is probably a reality for 99.99% of OTA viewers who like me CAN'T receive 3.1. If the people who own METV and work for them read this forum they should have done their homework and realized that they have a problem and it isn't just me, the FCC, CBS etc..
Isn't WJLP paying MeTV for the content, that's probably goal #1 for them? Also, not much choice for MeTV. Though it's tough to receive, look at GetTV, Escape or Grit. They're buried on sub channels on networks most people do not even look at. Heck, some are on subs for Spanish-language OTA networks. Then take RetroTV, the originator of all this, which is only carried here by a low power stations nobody receives.
post #17767 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Good POints

But if you are using a program guide like I do and many others, and recording shows or seeing what is on I really don't care which channel or sub channel it's on. As long as I can receive it.

I don't really speak much Spanish and zero Chinese but I still watch some of the programming. The Spanish channels have some of the best movies that are on broadcast TV and a lot of the movie dialog sucks in English anyway.
post #17768 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
But if you are using a program guide like I do and many others, and recording shows or seeing what is on I really don't care which channel or sub channel it's on. As long as I can receive it.

I don't really speak much Spanish and zero Chinese but I still watch some of the programming. The Spanish channels have some of the best movies that are on broadcast TV and a lot of the movie dialog sucks in English anyway.
Its too bad those Spanish channels aren't required to offer English subtitles. I'd like to know what they're talking about.
post #17769 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But the thing that makes this little kerfuffle concerning what virtual channel number ("major channel number") WJLP should have so amusing or ridiculous (depending on your point of view) is that OTA viewership is not really what WJLP, WFSB, and KYW care about.

Having an OTA presence is just a way for WJLP to be able to invoke must-carry status for its primary channel, carrying Me-TV programming. That's what will force DirecTV and the major cable systems to carry the station.

I would bet that in NYC there are a lot of people who simply cannot get any kind of OTA reception because they live in apartment buildings that are constructed in a way that is not friendly to OTA signals, regardless of whether those signals are VHF-Lo, VHF-High, or UHF.
post #17770 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post

The way I see it, broadcasters and the OTA audience are someday going to find themselves becoming reacclimated with the longer-wave frequencies that once reigned supreme in television's days of infancy. We do not yet know how the spectrum incentive auctions will affect each market, but in the event the auctions result in a significant loss of available TV channels, some broadcasters may face the ultimatum: take VHF-Lo or leave the air altogether. In that case, OTA viewers will likewise face an ultimatum of their own, specifically: Install VHF-Lo antennas or do not watch certain channels.

I'd like to see OTA viewership have a resurgence, and I'd love to see some physicists and engineers come up with some miracle that will make VHF-Lo easy to receive without a humongous outdoor antenna, but I doubt that either of those things will happen.

Perhaps the future of OTA isn't OTA at all, but some sort of internet presence that is supported by a combination of advertising revenue and governmental subsidy (taxation).
post #17771 of 17785 Unread 11-13-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I would bet that in NYC there are a lot of people who simply cannot get any kind of OTA reception because they live in apartment buildings that are constructed in a way that is not friendly to OTA signals, regardless of whether those signals are VHF-Lo, VHF-High, or UHF.
You would be wrong. I live in a Manhattan apartment building and am thrilled at the number of OTA stations I receive with my 99 cent rabbit ears, including WJLP.

Last edited by unsmiley; 11-13-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: correct
post #17772 of 17785 Unread 11-14-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But the thing that makes this little kerfuffle concerning what virtual channel number ("major channel number") WJLP should have so amusing or ridiculous (depending on your point of view) is that OTA viewership is not really what WJLP, WFSB, and KYW care about.

Having an OTA presence is just a way for WJLP to be able to invoke must-carry status for its primary channel, carrying Me-TV programming. That's what will force DirecTV and the major cable systems to carry the station.

Good points and it would not surprise me as after all it is a business and customers don't come first anymore.....
George Molnar likes this.
post #17773 of 17785 Unread 11-14-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmiley View Post
You would be wrong. I live in a Manhattan apartment building and am thrilled at the number of OTA stations I receive with my 99 cent rabbit ears, including WJLP.

That's nice you have good reception, but that doesn't make veedon's statement "wrong". All one has to do is search this thread to see there are plenty of folks with serious reception challenges in NYC (including Manhattan).
post #17774 of 17785 Unread 11-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengabus (Richard) View Post
Just to clarify, that list represents 12 sources throughout Central Nevada at different locations (not necessarily at Ely, but I can't argue that because I don't have time right now to check).

Also, none are local, which is the most important point here by far.
Local refers to market DMA not to city of license for TV purposes.
post #17775 of 17785 Unread 11-15-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrancis View Post
Its too bad those Spanish channels aren't required to offer English subtitles. I'd like to know what they're talking about.
Univison and Telemundo offer English captions for some of their programming on CC3.
post #17776 of 17785 Unread 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Icemannyr

I'll have to check out closed captioning more often. I sometimes turn it on to see the Spanish as I can understand the written words better than to hear it spoken. Now that I know CC3 sometimes has English I'll have to check it out.
post #17777 of 17785 Unread 11-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrancis View Post
Univison and Telemundo offer English captions for some of their programming on CC3.
Tried CC3. Still came up with Spanish subtitles. I'm curious...do they offer English subtitles only for big events? (Like the World Cup?)
post #17778 of 17785 Unread 11-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
Audio out of sync with video?

Has anyone noticed that audio has been ahead of video lately on all OTA channels, maybe 0.5-1 sec? That is audio finished but actor's lips are still moving. Right now I am observing this on Seinfeld on WPIX but it is present on all channels.

I first thought something got messed up in my receiver audio delay settings (the way I had it was coax from antenna to TV, then optical audio out of TV to my receiver) but then I just used TV speakers instead and the problem remains. Currently signal is routed from my antenna to TV directly via coax cable, TV speakers are used and the problem is here.

PS LiveWell (7.2) looks and sounds like over one second right now.

Last edited by JoeSchmoe007; 11-16-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #17779 of 17785 Unread 11-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Has anyone noticed that audio has been ahead of video lately on all OTA channels, maybe 0.5-1 sec? That is audio finished but actor's lips are still moving. Right now I am observing this on Seinfeld on WPIX but it is present on all channels.
Do you really think all the networks in NYC all of the sudden have lip sync issues at the same time? It's your equipment dude, try a different tv if you have one.
post #17780 of 17785 Unread 11-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
Do you really think all the networks in NYC all of the sudden have lip sync issues at the same time? It's your equipment dude, try a different tv if you have one.
METV is running with slight hiccup anyone else notice this bug.
post #17781 of 17785 Unread Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
I have noticed it on FIOS. Compared it immediately to WZME-19, and there was no hiccup.
post #17782 of 17785 Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM

is clear as day on wjpl ch3, you get wzme feed only?
post #17783 of 17785 Unread Yesterday, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Otis Campbell is often that way.
post #17784 of 17785 Unread Yesterday, 06:42 PM

barney pfifer
post #17785 of 17785 Unread Yesterday, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
barney pfifer
Good thing Andy made Barney Fife a deputy sheriff. Much safer for the residents of Mayberry that way. If Barney had to find other work, who knows what might have happened? He would have been a real danger to the community if he had become an antenna installer.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception