New York, NY - OTA - Page 601 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
post #18001 of 18021 Unread 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I wonder if WACP (RF 4) in Atlantic City is happy with its virtual channel designation.
According to the coverage maps, it has a humongous coverage area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18002 of 18021 Unread 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 5
[QUOTE=Trip in VA;33150833]I'm not there. The computer I left at her house for some reason started working again a few days ago.

And transporting my parabolic required a very large truck, which I don't own. It would also be overkill for the area.

- Trip[/QUOTE

k
post #18003 of 18021 Unread 04-03-2015, 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=uhfyagi;33175393][QUOTE=Trip in VA;33150833]I'm not there. The computer I left at her house for some reason started working again a few days ago.

And transporting my parabolic required a very large truck, which I don't own. It would also be overkill for the area.

- Trip[/QUOTE

maybe she logs onto rabbit ears.info to check out your blog
post #18004 of 18021 Unread 04-04-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Can't believe us OTA viewers are shut out from viewing the NCAA final 4 games today!
post #18005 of 18021 Unread 04-04-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Can't believe us OTA viewers are shut out from viewing the NCAA final 4 games today!
OTA doesn't pay the sports contracts....
post #18006 of 18021 Unread 04-05-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I would agree except CBS carried all the rounds including the upcoming championship game this Mon. night. CBS played reruns Sat. night and could have had these 2 live games on their schedule instead. So it does not make the economic sense you suggest.
post #18007 of 18021 Unread 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TV is full of surprises, on Easter Sunday the mexican feed prime time was showing the new Paul Blart Mall cop, which had 130 mil. world release, while the english version is still in movie houses,
Sorry for this, stand to correct myself, somebody told me that it was the old #1 not the new, again sorry

Last edited by AloEuro; 04-08-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: correction
post #18008 of 18021 Unread 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Propagation is fun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Speaking of low vhf and High.

I live in North Jersey. Why aren't VHF bands 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10 and 12 in use if VHF is so great? The only solid VHF TV we have is 7, 8, 11 and 13. Some of us get 3. I would think high VHF especially (9, 10, 12) would be very desirable!
Back when the analog stations were still all in action, I would listen to the FM sound carriers of the NYC stations on my ham radio, an Icom 706. The radio was mounted in my car. I'd drive up and down 1200 foot hills in the Hudson Valley, and see what I could and could not catch as I went up and down the hills. You could see how some channels were good at one angle...others came in higher on the hill, but dropped at different heights. Much of the reception was done as "angle refraction".

VHF 2 and 3 were always a hard catch. Channel 4 and 5 were the best of lo vhf, and 7, 11 and 13 were usually clear. Going up and over hills and mountains, for some reason, 4 and 5 had the best ability to follow hills. Channel 6 in Albany always had the best distance from that location.

VHF is a bit better over mountains, but not much. UHF is useless unless you have "line of sight".

(aside-using UHF, I can't get over a hill behind my house and talk to stations 7 miles away on the other side. Using ham radio on 80 meters (shortwaves) the radio waves don't even see the hill and I can talk 80 miles clearly. There is a reason cell providers will pay for the UHF TV frequencies in the high UHF tv band-they don't want any bending, or natural interference.)

Channels 2 and 3 are more HF. This isn't good for TV broadcast, as the signals can skip off the ionosphere, or bend in the troposphere, causing DX, or more likely, interference with the local signal. Fun for us geeks, but (I recall one night, I got every single channel, with Pennsy and CT stations making to my NY location). The VHF channels are less likely to do this, and as such, are less interfered with naturally, so more desirable.

I can see staying with RF 7-13 as they are mostly line of sight but without the extreme power needs of UHF broadcast. 4-5-6 need bigger antennas, but have best overall coverage. 2-3 are useless in 2015 for TV, but due to regulatory stupidity/loopholes, are still in use by low power.

I don't think when the analog transition took place, that anyone considered that Congress would balance the budget by selling the UHF TV spectrum. Now, the same stations that spent money to move to UHF are now being squeezed back to VHF. If they repopulated VHF high, it would make sense as they are good for TV, little interference from natural sources, and less power to cover the broadcast area. No one else wants VHF high, the wavelengths are too long for mobile phone antennas but it works well for TV broadcast.

So, we will probably end up with VHF high being repopulated by the stations leaving UHF to sell the frequencies to cell phone companies. VHF low will be a odd play by stations using low power translators or like WLJP, looking to get a favorable channel position on cable systems.

No, it doesn't make sense.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.

Last edited by speedlaw; 04-07-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #18009 of 18021 Unread 04-07-2015, 10:57 PM

Wrong most of vhf low band including channel 4 or 5 is in use already by low power stations on the nyc area. Take a look at trip site rabbit ears.info for yourself
post #18010 of 18021 Unread 04-09-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
Wrong most of vhf low band including channel 4 or 5 is in use already by low power stations on the nyc area. Take a look at trip site rabbit ears.info for yourself
The 300 watt transmitter on 4, like the 300 watts on 2, are secondary allocations on a transmitter. They could easily be bought out by a bigger player, and I would not doubt that they are hoping for just this.

I can, from my aeirie here on the Hudson, very, very occasionally lock RF channel 2 from my best HD tuner. Never 4. RF 3, on the other hand, is a 93% station, but very subject to flutter, I think, from aircraft. I have a "far fringe" roof antenna, feeding 4 sets and a stereo tuner, with no amp. All sets get over 90% on most channels. As far as the translators go, a 300 watt signal spread over 6 mhz does not get far.

My post was about propagation as observed over a few years from an unusual perspective. The regulatory nonsense is a whole different subject.

post #18011 of 18021 Unread 04-09-2015, 11:36 AM

It is weird what you said that non of broadcasters wanted low vhf channel, if there is auction coming up, like everyone agrees TV spectrum is gonna get congested, ]looks very likely that be using the afore mention low vhf frequency. All hoopla about digital conversion back in 2009 meant squat to fcc. For the networks they're just bunch of sheeps in the flock. Can you receive any Albany stations, back in analog days I use to receive wxxa fox 23 on a clear night, the full power stations back in those where supernovas.
post #18012 of 18021 Unread 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It is weird what you said that non of broadcasters wanted low vhf channel, if there is auction coming up, like everyone agrees TV spectrum is gonna get congested, ]looks very likely that be using the afore mention low vhf frequency. All hoopla about digital conversion back in 2009 meant squat to fcc. For the networks they're just bunch of sheeps in the flock. Can you receive any Albany stations, back in analog days I use to receive wxxa fox 23 on a clear night, the full power stations back in those where supernovas.
Nope, no Albany, in the wrong direction. I can get central NJ and coastal NJ pretty well, but never anything in the other direction due to hills.

post #18013 of 18021 Unread 04-09-2015, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Define "nyc area" The fact is that 40% and not "most of" the VHF-Lo band in the New York City market is in use by low-power TV stations. WJLP Middletown Township does not count as that station is full-power. WACP Atlantic City does not count and should not even be factored in to this discussion as that full-power station is licensed outside of the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
The 300 watt transmitter on 4, like the 300 watts on 2, are secondary allocations on a transmitter. They could easily be bought out by a bigger player, and I would not doubt that they are hoping for just this.

I can, from my aeirie here on the Hudson, very, very occasionally lock RF channel 2 from my best HD tuner. Never 4. RF 3, on the other hand, is a 93% station, but very subject to flutter, I think, from aircraft. I have a "far fringe" roof antenna, feeding 4 sets and a stereo tuner, with no amp. All sets get over 90% on most channels. As far as the translators go, a 300 watt signal spread over 6 mhz does not get far.

My post was about propagation as observed over a few years from an unusual perspective. The regulatory nonsense is a whole different subject.
WACP transmits with 10,000 watts on RF 4, not 300 watts.

And speaking of propagation, WKOB-LD's 300 watt signal spread over 6 mhz on RF 2 has been confirmed received in the states of Florida and Kentucky. By my mileage count, that peashooter sure can travel far with the appropriate atmospheric conditions
post #18014 of 18021 Unread 04-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Gain Indoor HD Antenna for NYC Area?

Guys, can anyone recommend a High Gain Indoor Digital antenna that will bring in stations in lower Manhattan? My new 4K monitor (which I primarily use to watch off my Media PC) cant seem to pull in any Digital stations, using a Mohu Curve antenna. Seems that the signal strength is just too low in my apt.

Any ideas?
Many thanks.

Last edited by retrosonic; 04-12-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #18015 of 18021 Unread 04-12-2015, 08:16 PM

nyc is hard to receive if you're in Manhattan? Multi path is a big problem. that being said, in order to help you we need to know a few things, your location, how many TV are your planning to hook up to. a Tvfool report from you would be sweet
post #18016 of 18021 Unread 04-13-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bounce TV bounced from 9-3 is running on 41-3 at 480i ,enjoy
post #18017 of 18021 Unread Today, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

BOunce TV

Old News! That change was made about 4 weeks back!
post #18018 of 18021 Unread Today, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Laff TV just launched at 8 am this morning on 7.3 with the movie "My Mom's New Boyfriend" in the correct aspect ratio. A rarity for sub channel these days.
post #18019 of 18021 Unread Today, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Laff TV just launched at 8 am this morning on 7.3 with the movie "My Mom's New Boyfriend" in the correct aspect ratio. A rarity for sub channel these days.
Is the channel broadcast in 480p ?
post #18020 of 18021 Unread Today, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I find it hard to understand why any channel broadcasts in 4x3. The majority of TVs are now 16x9, and those with old sets are used to seeing letterboxed images today (and the majority have the option to zoom in to fill their screen if they wish). We so often see a widescreen image letterboxed into a 4x3 broadcast frame, which is then pillarboxed on a 16x9 display - a tiny mess.

Cozi on 4.2 and Decades on 2.2 are doing it right. What's the logic behind the other approach? Is it the belief that the subchannels are only watched by people with old CRT televisions?
post #18021 of 18021 Unread Today, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Im surprised that they kept 7.2 still being being showned in 480i?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception