New York, NY - OTA - Page 602 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #18031 of 18055 Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrancis View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm enjoying Decades in its current format. The "countdown" really isn't necessary. Just keep showing these programs in big blocks.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure that CBS & Weigel with their professional broadcasting experiences and vast libraries have a good solid plan for DECADES, but the present stunting format is certainly unique to the television landscape. FWIW, I've been watching several of the Series Binges, and like the presentation.

I'm not sure, at present, this format would attract national advertisers and thus would have to be sustained primarily from P.I. advertising, but that reality is true for many of the new diginets. Me-TV, owned entirely by Weigel, seems to be one of the few broadcast diginets which have gained the attention and revenues from national sponsors.

As to DECADES, the diginet is starting to promote its new series "Through The Decades" hosted by Bill Curtis which will launch on May 25, 2015. The diginet is also presently re-airing "The Millionaire" Series Binge, which began this afternoon at 2PM, although I am not certain as to why, whether every episode will be aired, or whether the episodes will air in the same order as they did back in January 2015. The revised schedule also indicates that "Family Affair", "The Phil Silvers Show", "Love American Style", and "Route 66" are all scheduled to re-air.

The remaining Series Binges scheduled are "Dark Shadows" starting on May 13, "The Twilight Zone" starting on May 16, and "The Fugitive" starting on May 20, 2015. Following "The Fugitive" Series Binge, DECADES will officially launch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18032 of 18055 Old 04-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You Guys Are Lucky

You guys are so lucky down there to have all these new channels.

Up here in the Albany area, out of all the new diginets available, the only ones we have are MeTV, Antenna TV, ThisTV and Grit. I guess it pays to be in a top 10 market where your regular affiliates are all network owned.

Oh yes...and we STILL have LiveWell (but not Laff).

Just be thankful you are where you are!
post #18033 of 18055 Old 04-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I only watch metv once in awhile, true about many stations to choose, but not that much there to see, are you a cord cutter? I stream mostly, pretty sure everyone does now.
post #18034 of 18055 Old 04-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
I only watch metv once in awhile, true about many stations to choose, but not that much there to see, are you a cord cutter? I stream mostly, pretty sure everyone does now.
Despite that the world of entertainment is changing rapidly, my viewing habits haven't altered much. I still watch TV...ON TV. Streaming hasn't become second nature to me yet.
post #18035 of 18055 Old 04-27-2015, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I still watch TV on TV too. Although I do take out DVDs from my local library when the summer reruns come on and we catch up on the movies that came out during 2014 and 2015 and also watch shows like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire etc.

My Samsung TV is a smart TV and I can get Netflix, HULU and many other providers and pay to watch movies and shows but why bother when I can get them for free from my local library.
post #18036 of 18055 Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just stick to OTA on my Sony Trinitron. Every now and then, I'll flick on the Roku and stream some YouTube stuff. I'm pretty happy with Decades, Movies, GetTv, Cozy, MeTv, Antenna and Grit.
post #18037 of 18055 Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrancis View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm enjoying Decades in its current format. The "countdown" really isn't necessary. Just keep showing these programs in big blocks.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure that CBS & Weigel with their professional broadcasting experiences and vast libraries have a good solid plan for DECADES, but the present stunting format is certainly unique to the television landscape. FWIW, I've been watching several of the Series Binges, and like the presentation.

I'm not sure, at present, this format would attract national advertisers and thus would have to be sustained primarily from P.I. advertising, but that reality is true for many of the new diginets. Me-TV, owned entirely by Weigel, seems to be one of the few broadcast diginets which have gained the attention and revenues from national sponsors.

As to DECADES, the diginet is starting to promote its new series "Through The Decades" hosted by Bill Curtis which will launch on May 25, 2015. The diginet is also presently re-airing "The Millionaire" Series Binge, which began this afternoon at 2PM, although I am not certain as to why, whether every episode will be aired, or whether the episodes will air in the same order as they did back in January 2015. The revised schedule also indicates that "Family Affair", "The Phil Silvers Show", "Love American Style", and "Route 66" are all scheduled to re-air.

The remaining Series Binges scheduled are "Dark Shadows" starting on May 13, "The Twilight Zone" starting on May 16, and "The Fugitive" starting on May 20, 2015. Following "The Fugitive" Series Binge, DECADES will officially launch.
I'm not certain it will attract national advertisers either; however, the format is an attractive one, in that allows people to watch a certain program at any time. For example, I can't watch "Kung Fu" at 4:30 in the morning if that is to be its normal time slot. I'm certain that a CBS owned station will eventually be able to attract bigger advertisers. Time will tell.
post #18038 of 18055 Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

What I have noticed is that the majority of sub channels are now showing old TV shows and old movies. There is not much in the way of new programming available. So if you enjoy the old shows and movies you hit the jackpot. Since I am 70 years old I guess the programming is aimed at people my age. However that being said I have NO interest in living in the past and like the newer shows and programming much better.

On another note, when we old codgers die off I wonder who will be around or interested in watching these sub channels? I sure hope the networks have a plan "B".

Last edited by LenL; 04-30-2015 at 06:47 AM. Reason: fix typo
post #18039 of 18055 Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The current retro programming IS plan B. Costly original programming such as Live Well and NY Non Stop lost money. Round the clock weather doesn't keep viewers tuned in for more than a few minutes. Music Video channels such as the one WPIX had never caught on. National services with retro programming is cheap to program and profitable while not taking viewers away from sister cable stations that make much more money from cable subscriber and advertising dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
What I have noticed is that the majority of sub channels are now showing old TV shows and old movies. There is not much in the way of new programming available. So if you enjoy the old shows and movies you hit the jackpot. Since I am 70 years old I guess the programming is aimed at people my age. However that being said I have NO interest in living in the past and like the newer shows and programming much better.

On another note, when we old codgers die off I wonder who will be around or interested in watching these sub channels? I sure hope the networks have a plan "B".
post #18040 of 18055 Old 04-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I was born in 1959...and although I don't "think" I live in the past...I REALLY enjoy the resurgence of the classic programming. I like some of the new programs...but I find it more comforting to see old favorites. Then there are even those that I was too young to be interested in back when...for which I find interesting now.

Good comedies nowadays are few and far between. Today's drama's are a lot edgier, but I'm often too busy to devote an entire hour to one program. I'd watch GetTV if we got it here...but we don't.
reddice likes this.
post #18041 of 18055 Old 04-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
The current retro programming IS plan B. Costly original programming such as Live Well and NY Non Stop lost money. Round the clock weather doesn't keep viewers tuned in for more than a few minutes. Music Video channels such as the one WPIX had never caught on. National services with retro programming is cheap to program and profitable while not taking viewers away from sister cable stations that make much more money from cable subscriber and advertising dollars.
This is exactly what bugs me about our stations up here.

A great example is our ABC affiliate for which you've outlined above. It has 2 sub-channels. One is LiveWell, and the other is 24hr weather! It's REALLY frustrating that they don't substitute one (or both) of them for something worthwhile.
post #18042 of 18055 Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I really would love to have a 24 hour weather updated weather channel and I guess I may in the minority on preferring Live Well to all the retro sub channels.
post #18043 of 18055 Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
"...On another note, when we old codgers die off I wonder who will be around or interested in watching these sub channels? I sure hope the networks have a plan "B".
If OTA in general, & Retro Subchannels are still around as it is now ...
Then " Leave it to Beaver, "Lassie", " The Any Griffith Show", "Voyage to The Bottom Of The Sea", " Run for Your Life" .. will be replaced by "Saved by The Bell", "Friends", "Full House", "The X Files", "Ally McBeal" & "Northern Exposure" .. ect ...
post #18044 of 18055 Old 05-01-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
If OTA in general, & Retro Subchannels are still around as it is now ...
Then " Leave it to Beaver, "Lassie", " The Any Griffith Show", "Voyage to The Bottom Of The Sea", " Run for Your Life" .. will be replaced by "Saved by The Bell", "Friends", "Full House", "The X Files", "Ally McBeal" & "Northern Exposure" .. ect ...
I don't think the true classics ("Beaver" ..."Lucy"... "Griffith") will ever completely disappear. And it's networks like "Antenna TV" which are showing 80's programs right now...who will probably continue to do that. Somehow it doesn't seem possible that the current parade of similar programs would ever fall into those 'classic' categories. The Law & Order spin-offs and Big Bang Theory will be in general syndication for many years to come I would think. I can't see even popular programs such as "Mom", "The Middle", "Modern Family" & "The Good Wife" ever being considered true classics like "Perry Mason", "MASH", "The Twilight Zone", and "I Love Lucy" are today.
reddice likes this.
post #18045 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I still think we need more variety and there is too much retro programming. How about taking all the old cooking shows like Galloping Gourmet, Smith, Julia Child etc and having a sub channel run all their cooking shows! Then we have retro cooking. At least it will be something different.
post #18046 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Isn't that sort of what Create is?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #18047 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

WLIW Create is not available for me to receive at my location. I think you would know better than I would. I do watch a lot of PBS though and catch as many cooking shows a I can on13.1 and 50.1. Also I catch some shows on Live Well.
post #18048 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The public TV stations do a fabulous job of producing cooking shows.

The Rick Bayless show "Mexico, One Plate at a Time" is produced at WTTW in Chicago, and LiveWell has aired the syndicated re-run episodes. But I have not seen any other public TV cooking shows appear in syndication on commercially licensed TV stations. Most of the shows do seem to go over to the Create channel. Unfortunately, my local public TV station only airs selected shows, not the entire Create feed.

In addition to cooking, Create has travel, gardening, and crafts shows.
http://createtv.com/Home

Last edited by veedon; Yesterday at 10:32 AM. Reason: edited link
post #18049 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
... I'd watch GetTV if we got it here...but we don't.
I had high hopes for GetTV when it initially launched. I thought it would have quite a few grade B (maybe grade A-minus) film noir flicks, some light comedy or romantic comedy pics, and an occasional musical or biographical film. But now that it's been up and running for a while, the schedule is way too heavy on westerns.

I've never seen the appeal of westerns.
MeTV also has too many of those shows.
post #18050 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
WLIW Create is not available for me to receive at my location. I think you would know better than I would. I do watch a lot of PBS though and catch as many cooking shows a I can on13.1 and 50.1. Also I catch some shows on Live Well.
thats why you oldies need to get on that Internet fad we young people talk a lot about I cant get PBS Create either from my location but i do get it with the free PBS app on the Roku.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #18051 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
I know, I'm just saying that the network does exist that has that programming. WNET just hasn't seen fit to make it available to the whole audience.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #18052 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I had high hopes for GetTV when it initially launched. I thought it would have quite a few grade B (maybe grade A-minus) film noir flicks, some light comedy or romantic comedy pics, and an occasional musical or biographical film. But now that it's been up and running for a while, the schedule is way too heavy on westerns.

I've never seen the appeal of westerns.
MeTV also has too many of those shows.
I don't care for westerns either. Nor do I watch the western programs on MeTV.
post #18053 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe I am saying this, but I like the Westerns! Never watched any of them as a kid, so this is a whole new universe for me .

I miss Cozi TV's broadcast of The Virginian. But I am digging Big Valley, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza.
post #18054 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmiley View Post
I can't believe I am saying this, but I like the Westerns! Never watched any of them as a kid, so this is a whole new universe for me .

I miss Cozi TV's broadcast of The Virginian. But I am digging Big Valley, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza.
"Gunsmoke" was pretty good in its later years, when it downplayed the gunfights.
"Bonanza" was OK, but the outdoor sets must have been done on a budget of about ten dollars for the whole run of the series. As for "Big Valley", I prefer to watch Barbara Stanwyck in her younger days, the movies of the 1940's.
post #18055 of 18055 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
"Gunsmoke" was pretty good in its later years, when it downplayed the gunfights.
"Bonanza" was OK, but the outdoor sets must have been done on a budget of about ten dollars for the whole run of the series. As for "Big Valley", I prefer to watch Barbara Stanwyck in her younger days, the movies of the 1940's.
Linda what's her last name is nice eye candy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page