New York, NY - OTA - Page 604 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
post #18091 of 18101 Unread 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
Been watching the fugitive binge on decades 2.2. Just noticed that the episodes are being showned edited or being cutup I guess for time constrainment, that being said is sort of deceiving us ota viewers not being warned about this action taken. Anyone else noticed this? back to signal testing being done on freedom tower, to me this location is definitely a lot more challenging to receive than at the ESB. Just my 2 cents. everybody have great weekend.
What shows give a warning about being edited for time? Movies used to back in the day, but TV shows. An example is Seinfeld which in syndication gets edited. I don't recall any notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18092 of 18101 Unread 05-22-2015, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post
What shows give a warning about being edited for time? Movies used to back in the day, but TV shows. An example is Seinfeld which in syndication gets edited. I don't recall any notice.
Guess you're right, but I was taken back, looking for a certain scene on the fuge, and only not to be shown, btw I can watch the whole unedited episodes on YouTube. Hoping that Decades shows more lost or forgotten TV series, love to see the Time Tunnel or Wild Wild West, Land of the Giants have not seeing the latter since it was originally on ABC.
post #18093 of 18101 Unread 05-23-2015, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I lost 4-1 and 4-2. Anyone else see the same thing?
post #18094 of 18101 Unread 05-31-2015, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I see BUZZR TV is coming to our area soon, in the slot formerly occupied by 9-3 Bounce TV. This will be an old game show network.
post #18095 of 18101 Unread 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WWOR-TV Secaucus has reactivated its -3 subchannel. WWOR-DT3 (RF 38-5/Virtual 9-3) transmits a 480i stream with a 4:3 static aspect-ratio. PSIP TVCT displays the channel name as Buzzr on virtual channel 9-3. Language is English. Program guide information and date/time is accurate.

The network is presently in a soft-launch mode, airing various game shows with promos for the network in lieu of traditional spots. The official launch is scheduled for 8:00PM EDT. tonight.
post #18096 of 18101 Unread 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM

How bout giving us retro tv? Heroes &a icons, tuff TV. Come on allready
post #18097 of 18101 Unread Yesterday, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Nope. None of those are currently on the menu. Instead, how about some international cuisines?

WASA-LD Port Jervis Adds SinoVision Channel Suite

In what is the first major revision of its digital subchannel lineup in over four years, Lieberman Broadcasting's WASA-LD Port Jervis (RF 25/Virtual 24) has added a new .5 subchannel, removed one programming service, and added two new programming services.

WASA-LD, the New York City market affiliate of estrella TV in high-definition carried on its primary channel, has revamped its channel lineup in a bold move which maintains the aforesaid estrella TV (24-1), also maintains ICN CH (24-2), adds SinoVision English Channel (24-3), adds SinoVision Chinese (24-4), and moves the estrella TV SD feed to new subchannel 24-5. ICN TV's English service, formerly on 24-3, is the lone casualty, having been dropped from the station.

It was April 2011 when WASA-LD last revised its subchannel lineup substantially. It was then when the ICN TV channel suite was added on 23-2 and 23-4. Two years later, in May 2013, the standard-definition feed of estrella TV was added on then newly added subchannel 24-4.

Technical specifications: All streams transmit a 480i stream with a 4:3 static aspect-ratio. PSIP TVCT displays the channel names as follows:

24-1: WASA-HD
24-2: ICN CH
24-3: WASA.3
24-4: WASA-SD
24-5: WASA.5

Language is English. Program guide information is unavailable and date/time is inaccurate.

The addition of the SinoVision channel suite duplicates its availability in this market, at least for now. Both channels are simultaneously available on WMBC-TV Newton (RF 18/Virtual 63) on subchannels 63-3 and 63-4. However, WMBC-TV, whose transmitter is situated in Little Falls, NJ., may present some deficiencies for OTA viewers in areas east in the market, and those viewers may benefit from the surprisingly strong "low-power" 15kW signal which WASA-LD transmits from 4 Times Square in Manhattan, NY. Whether the SinoVision channel suite will remain on both stations, and if so for how long, is presently uncertain.

What is certain is that the past several months have proven very active for broadcast television and its audience in the nation's #1 media market.
post #18098 of 18101 Unread Today, 12:05 AM

We need English speaking TV stations, sans espanol, look at Philly ota lineup they have more ota stations like retro,tufftv,heroes icons, this is smaller market than us, don't get me started with LA TV stations we're not even close to half of the number of ota stations they carry. NY sucks
post #18099 of 18101 Unread Today, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Retro TV is on WKOB 42.7. It's not a great signal but I get it most of the time.
post #18100 of 18101 Unread Today, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
WWOR-TV Secaucus has reactivated its -3 subchannel. WWOR-DT3 (RF 38-5/Virtual 9-3) transmits a 480i stream with a 4:3 static aspect-ratio.
Does anyone know the value to a broadcaster of using a 4:3 static aspect-ratio? Does it use less bandwidth? Is there some other up-side?
Being a static aspect-ratio it prevents the airing of full-screen 16:9 material (and there have to be at least some commercials in that format).
post #18101 of 18101 Unread Today, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Technical specifications: All streams transmit a 480i stream with a 4:3 static aspect-ratio. PSIP TVCT displays the channel names as follows:

24-1: WASA-HD
24-2: ICN CH
24-3: WASA.3
24-4: WASA-SD
24-5: WASA.5

I have to make one correction to my post. I erroneously stated that "all" streams transmit with those technical parameters. Instead, I should have said that all the subchannels transmit as such, with the exception of the primary on 24-1.

24-1: WASA-HD transmits a 720p stream with a 16:9 dynamic aspect-ratio.

Please excuse the error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post
Does anyone know the value to a broadcaster of using a 4:3 static aspect-ratio? Does it use less bandwidth? Is there some other up-side?
Being a static aspect-ratio it prevents the airing of full-screen 16:9 material (and there have to be at least some commercials in that format).
Bandwidth is the primary reason. Lieberman is very likely compensated by in some manner to provide WASA-LD's Port Jervis and NYC metro area viewers the third-party content produced by ICN and now SinoVision; Lieberman owns estrella TV.

WASA-LD has their encoder set to transmit its various streams using variable bitrate. When allocating bandwidth, Lieberman is most generous with its HD primary and, at least until this recent change, its SD counterpart. Meanwhile, the two ICN streams, both in 480i SD, were essentially tossed breadcrumbs with which to work. I will presume the same arrangement presently exists for the SinoVision streams.

Most likely in the case for this station, any 16:9 content would already be downconverted to 4:3. The end result for the viewer would be seeing the full screen either letterboxed or pillarboxed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception