New York, NY - OTA - Page 607 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #18181 of 18194 Unread 07-21-2015, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Good news for New York City area fans of classic TV programming! Retro TV has returned to WKOB-LD New York at its most recent channel position, RF 2-7/Virtual 42-7. Given the fact that no explanation was proffered by either the station or the diginet, it is likely that the temporary outage was due to a technical issue. However, given the history with Luken Communications (Retro TV's owners) it is possible contractual/financial issues could have been the culprit.

Regarding WJLP, subchannel 33-3 remains in apparent testing mode. Interestingly, one of my televisions cannot receive this new subchannel, even after deleting and re-adding WJLP.

For the record, there has been no official announcement regarding the intentions, if any, for this subchannel.

The other matter at WJLP, the virtual channel dispute, appears for now to be settled, with WJLP accepting virtual 33 for its broadcast signal. However, the station is requesting its audience contact the FCC and do this: https://www.facebook.com/metv3/photo...type=3&theater

PMCM TV, LLC. will have an uphill battle with that campaign. The pay-TV provider, Cablevision, this week announced that on September 3, 2015 it will be adding WJLP on channel 33. In fact, Cablevision will not only be bumping Viacom-owned Nickelodeon from that channel position in mid-August 2015, the cable provider has undertaken the extraordinary task of implementing a major channel lineup overhaul in order to accommodate WJLP being added on channel 33.

Their new channel lineup overhaul is especially FCC-friendly, seeing as they will be grouping all networks which specialize in children's programming (such as Nickelodeon) into twelve consecutive virtual channels (120 through 131), which should significantly reduce the chance that their subscribers with under-18 years of age children will see any adult-oriented, objectionable, or offensive programming, and only be subjected to family-friendly wholesome programming.
It's a little silly that WCBS and WFSB are allowed to be on the same actual channel while WJLP and WFSB are not allowed to be on the same virtual channel, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18182 of 18194 Unread 07-21-2015, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 7
yep the so called lobbyest at work
post #18183 of 18194 Unread 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Personally, if I were the WJLP licensee, I would cease producing the locally-produced PA programs and rely on "Saved By The Bell" reruns to satisfy the E/I requirements.
To each his own, I guess. To me, SBTB is one of the worst shows ever made. The E/I rules sure have not worked out well.
post #18184 of 18194 Unread 07-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mets18 View Post
It's a little silly that WCBS and WFSB are allowed to be on the same actual channel while WJLP and WFSB are not allowed to be on the same virtual channel, no?
It's not silly because the two are totally different issues. The WJLP situation as already hashed and discussed is more about cable carriage slots than OTA.
post #18185 of 18194 Unread 07-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
So WJLP (RF 3) won't get the Channel 3 slot on most cable systems.

Kind of sounds like New Jersey is getting dissed again, huh?
Do WCBS (marketed as Channel 2) and WNBC (marketed as Channel 4) have any Jersey-centric public affairs programming?

WJLP may have to start marketing itself as Channel 33 and accept that The Powers That Be regard it as a fringey little station that should accept a high channel number for marketing purposes and not hang out with the big boys. It's like the teenager that gets stuck sitting at the kiddie table during a big holiday meal.
Verizon FiOS will continue to carry WJLP on 3. Hopefully DISH will keep it on 3.Most cable systems held out on carriage to wait for outcome of the FCC decision.

The issue has nothing to do with Jersey getting dissed. There's no law or requirement saying a channel with Jersey centric public affairs programming needs to be low on the dial. It will still be there (or not if you're watching 2 or 4).
post #18186 of 18194 Unread 07-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
helical vs yagi/LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Fritz, I am about 30 miles from the ESB, almost due north of it. I am on a south facing hill, however, I am sure there is summer foliage in my reception path. I really have no problems with a weak signal except for torrential rain when it occurs. I use a big Winegard on an eight foot mast which is on a two story flat roof. What antenna are you using right now?
which WG are you using?
I tried our old RS VU110 and an RCA ANT751. Both failed miserably, probably mostly due to heavy foliage and terrain.
I'm up 125' and the antenna is ~30' off the ground.
I'm thinking HD7694 or 7697 based on many suggestions.
I was thinking of a PWS helical, but can't see the $ right now. A friend of mine was the designer. He put one on his house in boonies of Washington state and is quite happy.
He put one on his dads house on Staten Island and it pulled in Phila clean. Not that I need that ........
post #18187 of 18194 Unread 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM
ALP

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
which WG are you using?
I tried our old RS VU110 and an RCA ANT751. Both failed miserably, probably mostly due to heavy foliage and terrain.
I'm up 125' and the antenna is ~30' off the ground.
I'm thinking HD7694 or 7697 based on many suggestions.
I was thinking of a PWS helical, but can't see the $ right now. A friend of mine was the designer. He put one on his house in boonies of Washington state and is quite happy.
He put one on his dads house on Staten Island and it pulled in Phila clean. Not that I need that ........
Fritz, As I said I am on the south face of hill (not sure of the exact elevation) and the antenna is about 8 to 9 feet above a two story flat roof (which actually helps reception). Most of my reception setup was done between 2009 and 2012 (some of the model numbers I used have been updated). The antenna is a WG HD7696P (I think the latest model is 7697). Instead of a signal amp on the antenna I use an 8 port Electroline Drop Amp that has 4.5 dB (about 3 times) forward gain on each port (I use 5 of the ports to send signal feeds to the family room, bedroom and kitchen). All of the cable is Belden 1694A with Canare Type F connectors for lowest possible insertion loss. As I said I would describe my reception as very good to excellent. I hope this helps.

Tony Plachy
post #18188 of 18194 Unread 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Fritz, As I said I am on the south face of hill (not sure of the exact elevation) and the antenna is about 8 to 9 feet above a two story flat roof (which actually helps reception). Most of my reception setup was done between 2009 and 2012 (some of the model numbers I used have been updated). The antenna is a WG HD7696P (I think the latest model is 7697). Instead of a signal amp on the antenna I use an 8 port Electroline Drop Amp that has 4.5 dB (about 3 times) forward gain on each port (I use 5 of the ports to send signal feeds to the family room, bedroom and kitchen). All of the cable is Belden 1694A with Canare Type F connectors for lowest possible insertion loss. As I said I would describe my reception as very good to excellent. I hope this helps.
I think philly is doable from Staten Island, probably todt hill and the other hill where Wagner college is located. About the antenna the WG is decent antenna not the best one. I think antenna direct 91xg is a sinch, I'm using one myself, I get reliable reception from 65-70 miles, and I don't have any elevation to speak of.
post #18189 of 18194 Unread 07-27-2015, 01:25 PM
ALP

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
I think philly is doable from Staten Island, probably todt hill and the other hill where Wagner college is located. About the antenna the WG is decent antenna not the best one. I think antenna direct 91xg is a sinch, I'm using one myself, I get reliable reception from 65-70 miles, and I don't have any elevation to speak of.
The 91XG looks very interesting, if the WG ever quits on me I will check it out. It appears there is a dealer over in Jersey.

Fritz, FWIW I found an online site that gives you a reasonable estimate of your elevation above sea level based on your address (probably uses google maps). It says I am 375 feet and given that the antenna is at least 8 feet above a two story roof that implies that my antenna is about 400 feet above sea level.

Tony Plachy
post #18190 of 18194 Unread 07-28-2015, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Anyone else seeing problems with RF 38? WWOR has been down for me since yesterday and I see that it's signal strength is way down.

I have to check trip's diagnostics when I find the link.
post #18191 of 18194 Unread 07-28-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WWOR-TV

Looks like signal went up at my grandmother's house... maybe they're operating from the aux site in West Orange?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #18192 of 18194 Unread 07-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WWOR-TV

Looks like signal went up at my grandmother's house... maybe they're operating from the aux site in West Orange?

- Trip
seeing that the signal went up and that they could be operating out of WO, that would explain my situation.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #18193 of 18194 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Location: Hawthorne Lake, Sparta, NJ, 1100 feet above sea level
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
seeing that the signal went up and that they could be operating out of WO, that would explain my situation.
Just came up to my summer house located in Sparta Township and noticed that WWOR-TV (RF38) is gone. Other three major NY networks coming in fine (I'm 39 miles from ESB). Why is WWOR using an aux transmitter and will they go back to the one on the ESB?
post #18194 of 18194 Unread Today, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisHPC View Post
Just came up to my summer house located in Sparta Township and noticed that WWOR-TV (RF38) is gone. Other three major NY networks coming in fine (I'm 39 miles from ESB). Why is WWOR using an aux transmitter and will they go back to the one on the ESB?
why? i have no idea. i emailed the VP of engineering at WNYW Fox 5 and he never got back to me. the previous engineer there was much nicer and always responded quickly, but he recently retired.

Maybe since Fox pulled out of MundoFox, they are doing something to eliminate the simulcast on WWOR? who knows.

I'm surprised some of the regulars here have not reported the same problem, even if they are not seeing the issue. It seems that RetroTV constant flip-flopping is the only thing that gets reported.

If you receive WYNW RF 44 Fox 5, then you can watch WWOR in SD on Channel 9-2 and feel free to contact the VP of Engineering and tell him something is wrong: http://www.my9nj.com/story/17103277/...sed-captioning

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception