New York, NY - OTA - Page 608 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #18211 of 18217 Old 08-13-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dstoffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
dstoffa, Please forgive me for being so dense on this matter, but I am not sure what you are saying. Does WLNY still broadcast an OTA signal (an if so what channel is it on) or is it only a cable channel now?
WLNY programming was broadcast on two frequencies, with towers in different locations.

The "main" stick was (and still is) out in Suffolk County. This transmitter covers Suffolk and southern Connecticut / Rhode Island. The "translator" was in Nassau County, and provided coverage to Nassau County and New York City.

When CBS bought WLNY, they had no need for the translator (or couldn't keep it, since they owned WCBS-DT), and sold it.

Yes. WLNY still broadcasts OTA (RF 47, Virtual 55), but the transmitter is out in Suffolk Country, and is difficult to impossible to receive in NYC, let alone anywhere north of town.

If you can pick up WMUN-CD (RF 45), then before the sale, you could have watched WLNY on that station. This was the "translator".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLNY-TV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMUN-CD

Last edited by dstoffa; 08-13-2015 at 07:25 PM.
dstoffa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18212 of 18217 Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Member
 
unsmiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know what happened Sinovision English on WMBC (63.3)? It seems that this and some other channel 63 subchannels stopped broadcasting recently.
unsmiley is offline  
post #18213 of 18217 Old 08-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Giacomo Siffredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bergen County, NJ.
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi unsmiley,
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmiley View Post
Anyone know what happened Sinovision English on WMBC (63.3)? It seems that this and some other channel 63 subchannels stopped broadcasting recently.
The Sinovision channels are now being carried over WASA-LD Port Jervis (RF 25/Virtual 24-3 and 24-4). Presumably, the monster signal this LD transmits will provide OTA viewers and MSTV headends alike, especially situated east of Manhattan, with a greater opportunity to receive these broadcast ethnic diginets.
Giacomo Siffredi is offline  
post #18214 of 18217 Unread Today, 08:20 PM
Newbie
 
p0tsm0ke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
WLNY programming was broadcast on two frequencies, with towers in different locations.

The "main" stick was (and still is) out in Suffolk County. This transmitter covers Suffolk and southern Connecticut / Rhode Island. The "translator" was in Nassau County, and provided coverage to Nassau County and New York City.

When CBS bought WLNY, they had no need for the translator (or couldn't keep it, since they owned WCBS-DT), and sold it.

Yes. WLNY still broadcasts OTA (RF 47, Virtual 55), but the transmitter is out in Suffolk Country, and is difficult to impossible to receive in NYC, let alone anywhere north of town.

If you can pick up WMUN-CD (RF 45), then before the sale, you could have watched WLNY on that station. This was the "translator".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLNY-TV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMUN-CD

Just to say I live in murray hill in a 30+ floor apt building I live 8 floors up. I have a CM4221-HD on my balcony.
I have a pole in a bucket and then the ant is fixed on to the pole. With this i'm able to pick up everything
2.1 / 2.2 / 4.1 / 4.2 / 5.1 / 5.2 / 7.1 / 7.2 / 7.3 / 9.1 / 9.3 / 11.1 / 11.2 / 11.3 / 13.1 / 13.2 / 21.1 / 21.2 / 21.3 / 31.1 / 31.2 / 33.1 / 33.2 / 33.3 / 41.3 / 41.4 / 55.1 / 58.1 / 68.3 / 68.4

so yes u can get 55.1 in nyc
its just odd that i was picking it up one night then it went away now its back for some reason its getting a low signal of 33 but i just watched some stuff on it for like 30 mins
33.3 is a test channel just bars

29 channels + 1 test channel
I only listed English channels that i pick up
if you need a run down of the list of channels i can write the names of them aswell

If i was to count all the non English channels the list would be like 70 channels total

Last edited by p0tsm0ke; Today at 08:25 PM.
p0tsm0ke is online now  
post #18215 of 18217 Unread Today, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dstoffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tsm0ke View Post
so yes u can get 55.1 in nyc
its just odd that i was picking it up one night then it went away now its back for some reason its getting a low signal of 33 but i just watched some stuff on it for like 30 mins
Not impossible, but you are probably the exception and not the rule.

When I was in college, buddies of mine had an east-facing dorm room 14 floors up, and were able to pick up tv55 with a simple Radio Shack dipole UHF antenna stuck out that east facing window... It was a way for us to watch Star Trek: TNG, since they showed it every night back in the early 90's.
dstoffa is online now  
post #18216 of 18217 Unread Today, 08:37 PM
Newbie
 
p0tsm0ke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
Not impossible, but you are probably the exception and not the rule.

When I was in college, buddies of mine had an east-facing dorm room 14 floors up, and were able to pick up tv55 with a simple Radio Shack dipole UHF antenna stuck out that east facing window... It was a way for us to watch Star Trek: TNG, since they showed it every night back in the early 90's.

I'm wondering if i can improve the signal it self for that channels
my wife wants to watch BB on thursday and cbs has football lol

I think that CBS might be boosting the signal just for thurday i just wonder

well my signal is bouncing from 17 to 33 now so no clue what is going on my wife would love to see BB tomorrow lol

Last edited by p0tsm0ke; Today at 08:42 PM.
p0tsm0ke is online now  
post #18217 of 18217 Unread Today, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
StudioTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tsm0ke View Post
I'm wondering if i can improve the signal it self for that channels
my wife wants to watch BB on thursday and cbs has football lol
Tell your wife the show will air after the news at 11:30.
StudioTech is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off