AVS Forum banner

New York, NY - OTA

3M views 23K replies 1K participants last post by  LenL 
#1 ·
I've been following the NYC five boroughs thread and I don't easily find the information I'm looking for in it.

I hope those of us with antennas can start a thread restricted only to the status of Over-The-Air broadcasts from NYC to the metro area. Not CT, not PA, and not any other state a strange bounce may have enabled you to get. Antennas and amps are already covered in different threads, so let's leave them out too.

I'd also like to keep cable out of this entirely since one has to pay for cable, and not all systems carry HDTV, much less the NY/NJ channels.

So, with luck, we'll get some interested and informed members keeping us up to date on the politics and engineering efforts to restore the signals that died on 9/11. I'd like to see information on dates, power (temp low or full) and channels. I suspect there are a lot of us that would like that info too.

Please add any information you may have to the thread. If it's a bad thread, it'll die. But hey, that's evolution in action.

Rick

See less See more
#12,343 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL /forum/post/19028258

Secondly you are not west and/or south of the ESB which happen to be the areas impacted! Like me!

Having been to his house, I would definitely say he's west-ish. It's more of a northwest, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdigital09 /forum/post/19028275

im using your site often, its really useful, when i try to understand why i have a problem with ota channel, now that tiger census fcc site is down, you probably gettin lots of hits. trip i talk to you later i know your busy guy. take care

I'm actually home from school for two weeks, so don't worry. I am trying to see some people, but in general, I have more time for the time being.

I'm glad you find the site useful. The blue lines are generated separately from the Tiger server, so as I'm sure you've discovered, I import them from the FCC weekly and then overlay them on Google Maps.

- Trip

#12,344 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell /forum/post/19027760

Tell that to the FCC!

Do you really think that WNYW, in any way, has wanted to limit its signal???

Just to be clear, are you referring to signal limiting that they've been restricted to all along? What I'm getting at is that I certainly hope that the new major issues we're having SW of them is the result of a hardware issue that's being addressed.

These new issues aren't due to some new permanent mandated changes are they??? I sure hope not.

Tom

#12,345 ·
New York's Channel 44 is mandated by the FCC to employ a directional signal to mitigate inference with NJ's Channel 44.

Look at Post #12305 - there continues to be reception problems, made worse by this weekend's occurrence, for those living to the West and South of the ESB. The station is working on repairs. Believe me, this person knows what he's talking about!!!!

If and when WNYW moves farther up on the ESB, there would continue to be the problem of interference to the S.W. that would have to be addressed.

#12,346 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdigital09 /forum/post/19027628

even if they did, nyc takes precedent over a/c anyway there are 20 million people in nyc area.

Yeah easy for you to say... the owners of WMCN think differently of course.

#12,347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19028572

Having been to his house, I would definitely say he's west-ish. It's more of a northwest, but still.

Northwest is about correct... I live in the NW corner of NJ, a few miles from NY state and PA. My beam heading to the ESB is 135 degrees (true, not compass).

#12,348 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL /forum/post/19028258

First you have an antenna setup we would all kill for.

Well, even with my antenna setup, WNYW has always been problematic. When I had only one CM4228A up on the tower (70ft) I got nothing. Zip, zilch, nada.

With 2xCM4228A I got a lock, but dropouts. CHanging the preamp from an ntennacraft to a CM7777 helped a lot. Changing it to a research comms 9262 PHEMT amp made the biggest difference.

The spectrum analyzer shows multipath, but I think that's just because the signal is a bit lower. Everything else out of ESB is rock solid.

A guy who is just slightly South of me about 2 miles away gets a lock on WNYW with a rooftop antenna at 20ft. And not even a good one too. He has a radioshack LPDA/corner reflector.

Quote:
Secondly you are not west and/or south of the ESB which happen to be the areas impacted! Like me!

I am North West of the ESB. The antenna's beam heading is 135 degrees.

#12,349 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell /forum/post/19024864

Bingo!

Give that man a Mars Bar!

I would rather go to Mar's Bar

#12,351 ·
Probably. I am 48 miles from the ESB.

You can look up my location on google earth to get an idea.

#12,356 ·
keyboard21: No idea. I just know the owner has been working toward getting it on the air "soon," whatever "soon" means. I know nothing beyond that.

DFL: I've heard nothing to suggest RTV is going to make it to New York any time soon, but WDVB-LD would be a good candidate for it if it was to come.

I know nothing about WKOB-LD, but I wouldn't suspect anyone (other than Daystar) will want to lease bandwidth on a signal nobody can receive.

WASA-LD is owned by the company that owns Estrella TV on 11-2, so I really don't know what the deal is there. I figure Liberman bought it assuming it would be the Estrella O&O in New York, but then made the deal with WPIX and didn't need it. So who knows what will happen to it.

- Trip

#12,358 ·

Quote:
The spectrum analyzer shows multipath, but I think that's just because the signal is a bit lower. Everything else out of ESB is rock solid. posted by raj

have you tried a yagi type antenna ei. xg91 if you got multipath issue. just a thought. also i been hearing that channel master might be bringing back the cm 4251 - 7 ft parabolic, is on limbo cos of economy what do you think ?

#12,359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19031745

I know nothing about WKOB-LD, but I wouldn't suspect anyone (other than Daystar) will want to lease bandwidth on a signal nobody can receive.

Speaking of which, I bet if I had a low band antenna out here i'd get them. A friend of mine down the road gets them all broken up on a Radioshack VU75XR.

#12,360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdigital09 /forum/post/19032160

have you tried a yagi type antenna ei. xg91 if you got multipath issue. just a thought. also i been hearing that channel master might be bringing back the cm 4251 - 7 ft parabolic, is on limbo cos of economy what do you think ?

I initially tried a Philips combo lpda/yagi reflector and it was actually worse. Haven't tried the XG91 but if I get one cheap or borrowed I may give it a shot.

I am pretty much halting my antenna spending on NYC stations for the while until after WNYW does its work next year (according to the FCC filing). Everything else is solid as a rock except for Fox (and harold camping's religious nuts station) and now it's solid after the last incident but I am curious to see if it holds up. The only thing if anything is that I might build a few antennas and cantilever mounts for philly stations in the meantime.

As for the 4251, I would love to get my hands on one, or two, or four.