New York, NY - OTA - Page 618 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #18511 of 18518 Old 11-21-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Here comes another Diginet on WNYW, Light TV 5.4:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ight-tv-949096

Quote:
Roma Downey, Mark Burnett And MGM Launch Light TV With Fox Stations On Board

BREAKING: Light TV, a new, 24-hour faith and family entertainment network designed to tap into MGM’s library of titles, is being launched next month by Roma Downey, Mark Burnett and MGM in partnership with a number of Fox stations and affiliates. Plans for the channel were reported about a year ago when the studio agreed to buy the 45% stake it didn’t own in its United Artists Media Group joint venture from Downey, Burnett and Hearst, and then named Burnett as president of its Television and Digital Group. The venture, which will also develop original programming, now has a name and a plan.

A seven-day-a-week, 24-hour programming schedule would normally be extremely expensive to program, but the idea is all in the repackaging and marketing of existing fare and Burnett and Downey have already proven themselves as great marketers.

Light TV, they say, will feature “wholesome family and faith-based entertainment programming” and will be the vehicle for the studio to be able to further monetize its film and TV library. The idea is not unlike TV Land in its early days or MeTV where the studio and Lightworkers’ Media Downey along with her husband Burnett who is President of MGM Television and Digital are lining up a bevy of titles to feed the machine. The programming will include Fox’s Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?, acquisition titles Highway to Heaven and Heartland and a bevy of films from the studio’s library: Rocky, Hoosiers, Red River, Little Man Tate, The Nutcracker, Lilies of the Field, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Black Stallion, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Pink Panther, Fame and Mr. Mom to name some of the titles.

In doing this, MGM is tapping into the cachet of Downey and Burnett whose names have become synonymous with faith-based films and TV programs and then repackaging old titles with a new branding technique.

The seven-day per week broadcast network already has signed up affiliates in top markets, where it will air on the subchannels of Fox stations, including New York (WNYW), Los Angeles (KTTV). Chicago (WFLD), Philadelphia (WTXF), Dallas (KDFW) – Houston (KRIV), San Francisco (KTVU), D.C. (WTTG), Atlanta (WAGA), Orlando (WOFL), Phoenix (KSAZ), Minneapolis (KMSP) and Charlotte (WJZY).

“This is the last unclaimed vertical. As we have already seen from the success of The Bible series and our 20 million social followers this audience is looking for inspiring and uplifting programming that they can watch in a trusted and safe environment on any platform,” said Downey in making the announcement this morning.

MGM currently offers several branded channels in the U.S., including MGM HD (which is currently carried in the U.S. by many of the leading cable satellite and telephone company distribs) and THIS TV, launched in 2008 as one of the original multicast networks features MGM films, local news and sporting events, as well a block of programming dedicated to children’s viewing. THIS TV was launched in partnership with Tribune Broadcasting and has about 130 affiliates aboard making it available in more than 85% of the U.S. market. It also is partnered in Epix and has Comet (in partnership with Sinclair Television group), which is a 24 hour/7 day-per-week science fiction multi-channel network. Comet is said to reach about 65 million homes or 70% of the U.S. Another branded channel from MGM is IMPACT, a VOD service dedicated to action programming which is currently available on numerous platforms, including Comcast’s Xfinity and Sony Vue.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!

Last edited by Aero 1; 11-21-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18512 of 18518 Old 11-22-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 111
WCBS is one of the most reliable stations for me. Even with a indoor antenna I can get it no problem. The only other station is WABC.

With a outdoor antenna WABC and WJLP are the strongest and reliable even though the former is low VHF. I just hope when WPIX and WNET (the worst as it pixelates but goes to a black screen with no signal unlike WPIX which just at times pixelates) is more reliable when it moves to 1WTC.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.3-138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Streaming Devices: Apple TV (4th Gen), Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen), PS4 (1st Gen), Roku Premier, TiVo Roamio OTA.
Cats are the best pets.
post #18513 of 18518 Old 11-30-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Is WPIX one of the stations moving to WTC in 2017?
post #18514 of 18518 Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes!
post #18515 of 18518 Old 11-30-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 121
A quick Google search only seemed to indicate Chs 2, 4, 13 & 47 , no mentions of 11 ...
Any links to WPIX also moving?
post #18516 of 18518 Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
A quick Google search only seemed to indicate Chs 2, 4, 13 & 47 , no mentions of 11 ...
Any links to WPIX also moving?
Link isn't working right now, but if you go to rabbitears.info,
WPIX is listed as one of the stations scheduled to be located
at 1 WTC.
post #18517 of 18518 Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
WPIX has a valid permit for 1WTC but I haven't heard them coming to an agreement to actually move there yet. Doesn't mean they will or they won't, of course.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #18518 of 18518 Old Today, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've had very good luck with WJLP the last few months. I record Perry Mason 10 times a week and used to have irritating breakups that sometimes made the show impossible to watch. Now I have no trouble at all (I have an indoor antenna in NYC). One thing that has helped me is being sure that my antenna cable doesn't touch any other cables of any kind. They are good quality cable but the difference is really noticeable at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page