New York, NY - OTA - Page 624 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #18691 of 18713 Old 08-26-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 117
WPIX is my most watched OTA station and it's a lost cause. I am tired of a perfect picture then minutes later a pixelated box mess of nothing. I cancelled my Tivo because of it. Now that WPIX is staying on the ESB I just give up on OTA. I don't even have the roof antenna hooked up to the TV no more. My Dish Network feed is more reliable even in bad weather than WPIX OTA.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18692 of 18713 Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 AM
ALP

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post
Anyone have any new info on when these changes will be completed? Does it have to be by end of year? Or is that just an estimated time? Reason I ask, as I just cut the cord for good. 47 which is broadcasting from 1 wtc is my most reliable signal. Cbs is flaky. I actually get cbsld off the back of my antenna, but it has multipath issues.
I too am nervous about the move of all stations to WTC. Even though I can get 47 with no problems I also getting good reception of all the major broadcast signals (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WPIX and Thirteen) except when rains really hard anywhere between my location and the ESB. I guess I am thinking its better to have the devil that you know rather than the devil that you don't know. I guess if I start losing channels I will know they have moved.

Tony Plachy
post #18693 of 18713 Old 08-27-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 251
ALP'

I guess you missed the post by Latke #18683 from a few days back . Not all stations are moving to WTC: WPIX and WXTV are staying at the ESB!

post #18694 of 18713 Old 08-27-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
I too am nervous about the move of all stations to WTC. Even though I can get 47 with no problems I also getting good reception of all the major broadcast signals (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WPIX and Thirteen) except when rains really hard anywhere between my location and the ESB. I guess I am thinking its better to have the devil that you know rather than the devil that you don't know. I guess if I start losing channels I will know they have moved.
Definitely true. Just because 47 comes in strong and doesn't mean the others will. UHF is a strange thing. I am assuming most will benefit, but I'm sure there will be some losers.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #18695 of 18713 Old 08-27-2017, 07:48 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
ALP'

I guess you missed the post by Latke #18683 from a few days back . Not all stations are moving to WTC: WPIX and WXTV are staying at the ESB!
Len, My bad, I forgot that WPIX is staying on the ESB. Since, I do not speak a word of Spanish I never watch WXTV.

Tony Plachy
post #18696 of 18713 Old 08-27-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Len, My bad, I forgot that WPIX is staying on the ESB. Since, I do not speak a word of Spanish I never watch WXTV.
Actually 41.3 Bounce and 41.4 Grit are English language. So don't blow off WXTV so quickly.

I'm trying to learn Spanish as a second language which is good for my aging brain. So I do tune in to the Spanish stations once in awhile to try to learn some words with my trusty English-Spanish dictionary by my side.
reddice likes this.
post #18697 of 18713 Old 09-03-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
WNYW and WWOR also moving in 2018!

And more good news- Channels 5 and 9 will move to 1WTC next year. Still a new member here, so can't link properly yet...

ad week dot com/ tvspy/fox-stations-will-broadcast-from-one-world-trade/193434

The remaining channel that we haven't heard from is WABC, a VHF channel, as all other local channels have committed in the short term to either 1WTC (WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, WWOR, WNET, WPXN, WNJU) or Empire State Building (boo) (WPIX, WXTV).
reddice likes this.
post #18698 of 18713 Old 09-03-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Fox has announced that both WNYW and WWOR will move to 1WTC and begin transmissions early 2018.
post #18699 of 18713 Old 09-04-2017, 04:41 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by latke View Post
And more good news- Channels 5 and 9 will move to 1WTC next year. Still a new member here, so can't link properly yet...

The remaining channel that we haven't heard from is WABC, a VHF channel, as all other local channels have committed in the short term to either 1WTC (WCBS, WNBC, WNYW, WWOR, WNET, WPXN, WNJU) or Empire State Building (boo) (WPIX, WXTV).
Why boo to the ESB? Some people may get better reception from the ESB than from 1WTC.

Tony Plachy
post #18700 of 18713 Old 09-04-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No guarantees that 1WTC will broadcast and give better reception than the ESB. That is an unproven assumption. In addition when they go with ATSC 3.0 who knows how strong the ATSC 1.0 signal will be broadcast? Perhaps someone can tell us that the powers that be require the broadcasting in ATSC 1.0 has to be maintained at the same level it was before ATSC 3.0 is introduced?

There is a minefield of unknowns coming to our local broadcast reception!
post #18701 of 18713 Old 09-04-2017, 09:34 AM
ALP

Quote:
No guarantees that 1WTC will broadcast and give better reception than the ESB. That is an unproven assumption. In addition when they go with ATSC 3.0 who knows how strong the ATSC 1.0 signal will be broadcast? Perhaps someone can tell us that the powers that be require the broadcasting in ATSC 1.0 has to be maintained at the same level it was before ATSC 3.0 is introduced?

There is a minefield of unknowns coming to our local broadcast reception!
Len, I am getting old and my memory is not what it use to be, but I thought I read somewhere that there will converter boxes like when they did the analog switch off. If the broadcasters have to put ATSC 3.0 on their 0.1 subchannel and ATSC 1.0 on their 0.2 subchannel where are they going to find room for their "oldies" programming that they currently put on their 0.2 subchannel. It would be nice if someone who actually knew how the roll out of ATCS 3.0 was going to work could explain it to the public.

Tony Plachy
post #18702 of 18713 Old 09-04-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

ALP,

I share your concern. There is an ATSC 3.0 forum as part of AVSforum that you can easily find and it will answer your questions.

For now it appears that all of our local NY broadcasters will need to keep ATSC 1.0 programming broadcast when they start ATSC 3.0. So all of our current reception equipment should be fine for a number of years.
There may very well be some sort of converter box down the road but I don't think that box will be needed until ATSC 1.0 is shut down. That is not going to be something to worry about for a number of years. Possibly something poster Trip might be able to speculate on. My guess is 5 plus years from now.

They may make the programming so great with the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts that some folks might want a converter box sooner to see the programming. We shall see.
post #18703 of 18713 Old 09-04-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ALP,

I share your concern. There is an ATSC 3.0 forum as part of AVSforum that you can easily find and it will answer your questions.

For now it appears that all of our local NY broadcasters will need to keep ATSC 1.0 programming broadcast when they start ATSC 3.0. So all of our current reception equipment should be fine for a number of years.
There may very well be some sort of converter box down the road but I don't think that box will be needed until ATSC 1.0 is shut down. That is not going to be something to worry about for a number of years. Possibly something poster Trip might be able to speculate on. My guess is 5 plus years from now.

They may make the programming so great with the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts that some folks might want a converter box sooner to see the programming. We shall see.
The programming will be a simulcast - the same stuff!

The bells and whistles will be technical - especially reception on mobile devices.

That's why stations are interested and are will to invest. They hope that ATSC 3.0
will be OTA's savior.

Also, remember that ATSC 3.0 is strictly voluntary on behalf of stations. But, if a
station elects to use this system it can't give up its ATSC 1.0 transmission.

As I understand things - technically, the two systems can't be transmitted together -
no sub-channel piggybacking possible.
post #18704 of 18713 Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Why boo to the ESB? Some people may get better reception from the ESB than from 1WTC.
Boo because the transmitter power of WPIX on the ESB is horribly low. Couple that with it being on VHF and many can't get that channel. When WNET moves to WTC transmission we shall see if more are able to capture their signal.
reddice likes this.
post #18705 of 18713 Old 09-05-2017, 02:38 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
The programming will be a simulcast - the same stuff!

The bells and whistles will be technical - especially reception on mobile devices.

That's why stations are interested and are will to invest. They hope that ATSC 3.0
will be OTA's savior.

Also, remember that ATSC 3.0 is strictly voluntary on behalf of stations. But, if a
station elects to use this system it can't give up its ATSC 1.0 transmission.

As I understand things - technically, the two systems can't be transmitted together -
no sub-channel piggybacking possible.
Wow! Does this imply that if a broadcaster decides to do ATSC 3.0 they have to have an addition frequency allocation to transmit the 3.0 content? Where will all of these frequency allocation come from?

Tony Plachy
post #18706 of 18713 Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
If the broadcasters have to put ATSC 3.0 on their 0.1 subchannel and ATSC 1.0 on their 0.2 subchannel
That is impossible.

Quote:
Wow! Does this imply that if a broadcaster decides to do ATSC 3.0 they have to have an addition frequency allocation to transmit the 3.0 content? Where will all of these frequency allocation come from?
Suggest you actually go to the ATSC 3.0 thread and read the proposals proffered by the FCC.
post #18707 of 18713 Old 09-05-2017, 07:37 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
That is impossible.

Suggest you actually go to the ATSC 3.0 thread and read the proposals proffered by the FCC.
OK, So I did what you suggested and as you may have expected I now have more questions. As a retired physicist looking at the ATSC 3.0 proposal I can tell that a good amount of engineering work went into the proposal and that some of the elements are already in existence and some will have to be prototyped and developed. Then there is the whole simulcast proposal by the FCC for bundling several ATSC 1.0 broadcast on one broadcast frequency. What I need most right now is to understand how all the government and industry pieces fit together. It appears that the ATSC (I assume this is a government agency) is responsible for finding and finalizing a 3.0 broadcast system. Is the ATSC part of the FCC or what? Does the ATSC have in house labs where they can design, build prototypes and test or does it have to vendor all of that stuff out to industry? What resources does the FCC have for working out the simulcast questions? Where can I find an overview of how all of the pieces relate to one another and who does what? Good R&D takes time, money and talented people. Who supplies the funding, who supplies the talent and who decides the timetable?

Tony Plachy
post #18708 of 18713 Old 09-05-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by latke View Post

There's also WJLP ( RF 3 ) transmitting from Midtown, I don't think they have mentioned moving ....
post #18709 of 18713 Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, So I did what you suggested and as you may have expected I now have more questions. As a retired physicist looking at the ATSC 3.0 proposal I can tell that a good amount of engineering work went into the proposal and that some of the elements are already in existence and some will have to be prototyped and developed. Then there is the whole simulcast proposal by the FCC for bundling several ATSC 1.0 broadcast on one broadcast frequency. What I need most right now is to understand how all the government and industry pieces fit together. It appears that the ATSC (I assume this is a government agency) is responsible for finding and finalizing a 3.0 broadcast system. Is the ATSC part of the FCC or what? Does the ATSC have in house labs where they can design, build prototypes and test or does it have to vendor all of that stuff out to industry? What resources does the FCC have for working out the simulcast questions? Where can I find an overview of how all of the pieces relate to one another and who does what? Good R&D takes time, money and talented people. Who supplies the funding, who supplies the talent and who decides the timetable?
About ATSC
The Advanced Television Systems Committee, Inc., is an international, non-profit organization developing voluntary standards for digital television. The ATSC member organizations represent the broadcast, broadcast equipment, motion picture, consumer electronics, computer, cable, satellite, and semiconductor industries.

https://www.atsc.org/
post #18710 of 18713 Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
This is true. But I think for most, it will be better from 1wtc. I am 60 miles out in Stony Brook long island, and my strongest station is now the only one broadcasting from 1 wtc. I have 85% strength and 28snr on my TiVo. That's MUCH better than anything coming from esb.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

post #18711 of 18713 Old 09-07-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post
This is true. But I think for most, it will be better from 1wtc. I am 60 miles out in Stony Brook long island, and my strongest station is now the only one broadcasting from 1 wtc. I have 85% strength and 28snr on my TiVo. That's MUCH better than anything coming from esb.
Transmissions from 1WTC will not necessarily be better for viewers than from ESB.

It depends upon where the viewer is located and the location of the station's antenna
on the 1WTC facility.

I live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and my signal strength for WNJU actually
became lower when it moved to 1WTC.

I live too close to the station's antenna - those living in the suburbs will probably have
the exact opposite experience.

Location, location, location!!!!!!
post #18712 of 18713 Old 09-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
Transmissions from 1WTC will not necessarily be better for viewers than from ESB.

It depends upon where the viewer is located and the location of the station's antenna
on the 1WTC facility.

I live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and my signal strength for WNJU actually
became lower when it moved to 1WTC.

I live too close to the station's antenna - those living in the suburbs will probably have
the exact opposite experience.

Location, location, location!!!!!!
I live a few blocks from ESB, and can pick up almost all stations with an indoor antenna. I
am expecting to lose all of them when they move to 1WTC. Ch47 has already disappeared for me.
post #18713 of 18713 Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 AM

Any news on when nbc will officially move to wtc? Wondering what's taking so long. Their sister station has been there over a month now.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page