Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say watching the US Open in HD is amazing. I think no other sport benefits as much from HD as does tennis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 02:38 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Anyone else with Comcast in Mont. Co still have "To Be Announced" for WBDCD in the on-screen listings? If you got 23, you see listings but not at 214. I think it could have to do something with them naming it WBDCD and not DWBDC like all the others (wild guess).
post #4773 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

f44---Usually it seems like it takes up to a week to get the new on-screen listings up to date. At least that has been my experience.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #4774 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 04:32 PM

Hi, everyone. Glad to see all is going well with the DC/Baltimore thread. I haven't looked in a while---I guess "success" in getting so many HD stations OTA and on D-TV has diminished my need to look at the thread for info.

My wife is telling me that it's time to start cleaning out the residuals of my great HD experiment, and I thought this would be the first place to offer them up. I have, free to a good home, a CM 8-bow UHF antenna, and a CM 7775 pre-amplifier. Both of them are completely unnecessary for where I live. My 4-bow UHF antenna works great for DC stations, and now that a couple of BIG trees have just left the neighborhood, Baltimore stations are coming in fine, too. Just need to get a rotator up on the roof now!

Anyway, if there's any interest in either or both, please e-mail me at md.dolfan@verizon.net. Like I said, I'm not selling them, just giving them away. I live in Silver Spring, work in Rockville, and am always also happy to meet up for a beer or something in the Bethesda/Rockville area, too.

Thanks to everyone who make this forum such a useful place. If this isn't the right place to offer up this HD equipment, please let me know, and my apologies.
post #4775 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Howdy. I'm new to the thread and also to HDTV. I started looking through the thread for some basic info until I saw it spanned some 230-odd pages so forgive me if my post is redundant. I do not currently own a HDTV set but I'm on the verge of making a purchase. I do have DTV and plan on setting up a rooftop antenna for local Digital TV channel reception. I've also got a HDTivo on the way. I'm located in between Baltimore and Washington and have read enough info here to determine that the Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna seems to be most highly recommended for UHF reception of digital broadcasts.. I'd like to get two of them and aim one towards DC and the other towards Baltimore. I plan on using a signal joiner to combine the two antenna outputs together.

I've been looking over the channel listings for the digital channels in my area and I'm still a bit confused. I am assuming that all of the digital and HDTV broadcasts in this area are via UHF channels but I need to make sure that a VHF antenna will not be required. I'm currently getting my locals via DTV so I can't see where a VHF antenna would be necessary. Am I correct in assuming that I will only need a UHF antenna to receive OTA HDTV channels in my area? With the installation of the 4228 antennas does anyone feel that it would be necessary to add a preamp into the mix? The antenna is rated for 60+ miles and all of the local HDTV channels appear to be within a 30-mile radius of my location.
post #4776 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You will be in very good shape for OTA reception. Right now all of the Digital stations are UHF only. So you can get them all with a UHF only antenna. The only problem is that once the Analog signals are dropped, the stations can elect to change from their UHF Digital to possible their old VHF (or old UHF) channel. We dont' know what they will decide. So the possibility does exist that a VHF ant could be needed a few years down the road.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #4777 of 8537 Old 09-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f44 What football action?
It looks like I have been working too many hours. :o
post #4778 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Got the same e-mail back from WUSA that others have gotten. Give them credit for being responsive. And everything is looking great on WUSADT once again.
post #4779 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 06:31 AM

Cyclone,

I live in Urbana, Frederick and have HD service thru dish network. I see on the first page of this thread that CBS-E (NY) is available on Dish. Is that a premium channel that I need to subscribe additionally? Or is that channel not available in my area? Thanks.

Joe
post #4780 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The only problem is that once the Analog signals are dropped, the stations can elect to change from their UHF Digital to possible their old VHF (or old UHF) channel. We dont' know what they will decide. So the possibility does exist that a VHF ant could be needed a few years down the road.
Thanks for the reply. I currently get my SD locals via DTV so that's not an issue. I can't see where the local broadcasters would switch their digital broadcasts back to a VHF frequency after the analog channels go away. I can, however, see the possibility of new channels being opened up using the old VHF frequencies or perhaps just broadcasting SD channels in digital form over the old channels. Since they've gone to the trouble of purchasing new equipment to broadcast digital signals via the current UHF frequencies it doesn't seem like it would make much sense to go back to the old channels. I guess only time will tell. Right now I'm just trying to get things set up to receive the existing channels digitally. If the locals decide to switch back to VHF down the road I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
post #4781 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe, that CBS-HD channel is only available if you live outside of the range of any CBS broadcast station, or your local CBS station is owned by CBS (ie Baltimore is). In Urbana, you are within range of WUSA-DT CBS 9 in Washington. Therefore you won't qualify for CBS-HD.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #4782 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by weaverjk8875
Does anyone live in the Chantilly/South RIding area and have trouble receiving NBC and WB HD? Antennaweb says I should be able to receive NBC but not WB. Its weird that every zip code around me, even points further west, get WB but mine. Any thoughts?
Getting caught up here a bit... yeah, no prob at all on WRC-DT and WB-DT in South Riding.

Antenna is a CM4221 with Winegard 8700 preamp, by Fairfax Antenna. I get all the DC stations, but none of the Balto's (except when extremely good conditions are present!).

If you are using an external antenna, I don't see why you can't get WB. More info on your equipment would help...

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #4783 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Click on the below thread for a discussion of why it's probably not a good idea to get rid of our VHF antennas. Stations may be going en masse back to their VHF channel numbers at analog shutdown because of one big word: Money.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2
post #4784 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain_video
[

I've been looking over the channel listings for the digital channels in my area and I'm still a bit confused. I am assuming that all of the digital and HDTV broadcasts in this area are via UHF channels but I need to make sure that a VHF antenna will not be required. I'm currently getting my locals via DTV so I can't see where a VHF antenna would be necessary. Am I correct in assuming that I will only need a UHF antenna to receive OTA HDTV channels in my area? With the installation of the 4228 antennas does anyone feel that it would be necessary to add a preamp into the mix? The antenna is rated for 60+ miles and all of the local HDTV channels appear to be within a 30-mile radius of my location. [/b]
I live in Waldorf, 30 miles from D.C. and 55 miles from Baltimore. I use a 4228 without preamp and get all of the channels. I do use a rotor although I seldom need it. In Ellicott City, I would think a 4228 and rotor would solve all your problems and possibly pull in Pa. channels and Frederick, Md. As long as you are running to one receiver, I would think a rotor would be as cost effective as joining two 4228's. I have mine chimney mounted on a two story with a ten foot pole.
post #4785 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I guess this confirms my suspicion that WUSA-DT reduced the bandwidth on 9.2 which caused by Dish 6000 to nolonger display the radar.
I'm having the same problem with a 6000. I can get chan 9-2, but only when the 6000 is in SD mode, and even then, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the radar image to appear.

I know the 6000 is four years old now, but WUSA-DT is probably stretching the limits of acceptible encoding. Maybe their new equipment will resolve the issue.
post #4786 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've heard that the 921 uses the same ATSC tuner chip as the 6000. I was hoping to upgrade to the 921, but now I have serious doubts. I don't want to spend that kind of money and pass up the opportunity to upgrade my ATSC tuner as well.

post #4787 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, understand. DN is falling behind the competition quickly with their Atari-style GUIs and gen-1 ATSC hardware. The only reason I haven't switched to D* and a modern STB (e.g. DTC-200) is that D* doesn't offer an entry level programming package anymore (used to be SelectChoice - their version of Amer Top 60). So a switch would cost me an additional $12/month.

I've only heard good things about the DTC-200 ATSC tuner. It would probably get all the Baltimore DTs for me.
post #4788 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would think a 4228 and rotor would solve all your problems and possibly pull in Pa. channels and Frederick, Md. As long as you are running to one receiver, I would think a rotor would be as cost effective as joining two 4228's.
I'd like to avoid using a rotor if at all possible. I'm getting a HDTivo which has dual DTV tuners as well as dual OTA HD tuners. The HDTivo can record two shows simultaneously from any combination of two of the four available tuners. I'd like to have the option of recording from both a DC and a Baltimore channel at the same time so I figured two 4228's joined together would give me this capability.
post #4789 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oh, #@&&#.... I guess WRC hasn't improved with the new season....

With the manual drop-in of Bob Ryan's weather talk at 9:45, the second ep of Hawaii didn't return to 16:9. And they did feed it correctly on the rerun of the first ep and the first part of the second ep (after the disaster of the first ep's original broadcast...).

I didn't bother calling since it was so close to the end of the show, but, sheesh, I guess (1) they still have no one watching the actual output, and (2) no one at WRC management has HDTV (arg!) and (3) no one here called either... :)

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #4790 of 8537 Old 09-06-2004, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertforsyth
Just a quick point....

My engineering staff is here in Rosslyn with me. :)

Robert

Not trying to scare you off but I did have a question for you or other engineering staff from other stations

Why don't any of the local DTV stations broadcast program guide information in the digital stream (is it called PSIP info?)? Is such information not provided in useful form by the network or require a lot of coding locally?

Would really be appreciated by me in my channel surfing using MyHD card and could open up more reasons for me to drop cable; not that you would care one way or the other on that point.
post #4791 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerald C
I'm having the same problem with a 6000. I can get chan 9-2, but only when the 6000 is in SD mode, and even then, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the radar image to appear.
I got my 6000 to display 9-2 last week by setting the output to 1080i instead of 720P. This degrades my PQ so I'll give up the radar for now.
post #4792 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anybody have intermittent problems with WBAL-DT yesterday (Labor Day) between say 5pm and 11pm or was it just me? I was having the problem on both my HD Tivo and my DTC-100.
post #4793 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NightHawk, I'll have to give that 720p trick a try.

I have a favor to ask. Would anyone out there with a PC HDTV card, please post the bitrates for all of the channels. I'm particularly interested in the low bitrate channels such as:

2.3 WMAR's Radar
9.2 WUSA's Radar
26.3 & 26.4 WETA's sub channels when they are shut off for HDTV on 26.1. They usually only display a banner screen.
22.3, 22.4, & 22.5 MPT subchannels when 22.6 HDTV is active. Again, the banner screens.

My Dish 6000 chokes on all of these channels and I'm hoping to find the threshold. Aaronwt posted some bitrates last week. I'm hoping to see what threshold 9.2 cross to start to induce this behavior.

While the lowbite rate channels are of my concern, I will also be fun to track any changes over time with these channels too.

post #4794 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Flipping through the channels last night I noticed WTTGDT had the DD5.1 on for North Shore. They seem to be doing this more often. I wonder if the new Fox HD shows are recorded with DD5.1 sound?
post #4795 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I think that you are going to find that Fox is going to do this from now on for all of their Network programming. They had the DD5.1 on for Cops on Saturday. There is a "FOX HD" thread over in HD programming. They basically say that Fox will "simulate" 5.1 to keep our AV receivers from having to be burdened with switching between DD5.1 & DD2.0.

We will know when Fox45 switched to the splicer because they'll have DD5.1 active even if they are showing a 4x3 program.

post #4796 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the fox stations are going HD on/before 9/12, per that thread...that would be nice...
post #4797 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 11:31 AM

To all who responded on my free 4228 antenna and pre-amp; they're gone. But thanks for the response. It was great to hear from so many people real close by and get some discussion going on DTV reception in the I-95 corridor from DC to Baltimore.
post #4798 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 PM

After months of research and reading this forum, I ust got my Sony GWIII 50".

I live in Manassas, Virginia (DC statons) and get my channels through Comcast. I have never used an antenna. (Zip code 20110)

I have extended basic with no pay channels.

Trying to sort out my options here. It looks as though for $5.00 extra per month, I can get Comcast HDTV.

But there are a number of separate options for "Digital Cable" which is between $70-100 per month.

$5.00 per month sure sounds good to me...as long as I can watch the Redskins on Sunday and HD (when offered) on my local stations.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Bob
post #4799 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 12:25 PM

Looks like they rolled out a new channel lineup today (nothing was where I thought it was in the 100's this morning). Everything appears to be moved around, but does anybody have any info on what's been changed/added? I did notice a slot for Discovery HD (woohoo!) on 205 (?) or thereabouts, but got the ol' "Not authorized for this channel" message. Is this a new addition to the normal expanded digital lineup, or are they considering it a premium? Or is it the case that they haven't put the actual channel up yet? I had the same thing happen with INHD2 a couple months back when it was "not authorized" for about a week and then came back on its own. Thanks!

Oh, and while I'm at it does anybody have the HD DVR from Comcast D.C.? Any commentson the service in general? I need to return my old roommates digital box and might as well save a call if I want to take the plunge.
post #4800 of 8537 Old 09-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch

Why don't any of the local DTV stations broadcast program guide information in the digital stream (is it called PSIP info?)?
MPT and WBAL do (or did, last time I had my SIR-T151 hooked up, a few weeks ago). But yeah, they should all be doing it. Perhaps they don't bother because they expect most people to get their guide data from other sources (cable or sat) instead of OTA.

It's worse than that -- although only MPT and WBAL are sending guide data, most stations do send the title of the current program. But this can be an unhelpful description like "WNUV Digital Programming". And each station is supposed to send a clock signal (which you can see on the SIR-151), but all of them are inaccurate, some by only a few minutes (MPT), some by many hours (WNUV, etc.). And the title of the current program changes with that time, so even when it's sent "correctly", it's still wrong.

57 channels and nothing on
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page