Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 166 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this has been posted somewhere.

CBS HD schedule for this coming sunday 09/19

Game Time
Indianapolis @ Tennessee 1:00 p.m. ET Kickoff (available in HDTV)
Houston @ Detroit 1:00 p.m. ET Kickoff
Denver @ Jacksonville 1:00 p.m. ET Kickoff
Pittsburgh @ Baltimore 1:00 p.m. ET Kickoff (available in HDTV)
Cleveland @ Dallas 4:15 p.m. ET Kickoff (available in HDTV)
Buffalo @ Oakland 4:15 p.m. ET Kickoff
N.Y. Jets @ San Diego 4:15 p.m. ET Kickoff
New England @ Arizona 4:15 p.m. ET Kickoff

Happiness is: Jessica Alba in HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 AM

If you go to the D* website and go to the NFL schedule section you will see the planned NFL games in HD for the upcoming weekend.
post #4953 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking about making a HDTV Redskins schedule a few weeks ago. I was also going to post about it each week announcing when the games where going to be in HD.

But I then game to the conclusion that Every Redskins game this season will be in HD. Fox had all of the Redskins games in EDTV last year (until about week 8 when they really began to stink). So this year, it will be more useful just to post if we find out that a game will NOT be in HDTV.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #4954 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda
I live about 15 miles from the towers and using a ChannelMaster 4021 on my balcony I can get both DC and Baltimore except for the UPN's without rotating the antenna and without a pre-amp. I'm also using an HR10-250.

However, at first I was pointing toward the DC antennas and WJLA was bouncing up and down. Turning the antenna more toward the north stabilized WJLA and had the bonus of letting me pick up all the Baltimore stations also.

The HR10-250 appears to have a pre-amp inside of it and you may have too much antenna for the distance you are from the tower. Have you tried using a smaller antenna?
I'm in the Ballston area of Arlington, 5-7 miles from the DC tower and ~35-40 from Baltimore on the 3rd floor of a condo in the NE corner of the building. Using a Silver Sensor without any amp inside on a window ledge, I too see a lot of jumpy signals on the DC stations, and often get a better signal from the Baltimore stations. Moving it around to different locations doesn't seem to help, and I've already tried the different Radio Shack indoor models. Becuase of all the tall buildings and trees around me, I'm assuming that the issue is more multipath than signal. I just ordered a Squareshooter as I have read that some have had good experience with it reducing multipath, but I'm at the end of my rope. Last night during MNF I had to switch between DC and Baltimore and move the antenna around every 10 minutes or so, and was ready to just give up.

Anyone had experience inside or out with the Squareshooter in the area? I have a terrace on the North end of my condo that I'm going to try the new antenna outside to see if that helps...not that the single pane glass window can be causing too much signal reduction, but I'm reaching for anything at this point...
post #4955 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 01:23 PM

Anyone out there with the Adelphia HD service with DVR?

I know the box is a combo HD receiver and DVR box, but does the DVR record in HD? Have had 2 different answers from Adelphia. Also, how many hours can it store, the brochure says 50, but is this SD or HD? Also, it looks like it has 2 firewire connections on back, are these enabled?

Thanks.
post #4956 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which Adelphia county are you located?

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #4957 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Anyone out there with the Adelphia HD service with DVR?
I have the HD/DVR box here in Fredericksburg, VA. It is the SA8000HD. It has dual tuners, so you can record and watch at the same time, or watch two different programs at the same time (pip).

It does record in HD. I currently have about 10 hours of stored HD programs and my box is showing a 40% storage use. So, it looks like that puts it at 30 or so hours. Recorded HD looks just as good as the original programming.

There are two version of the DVR (SA8000 and SA8000HD). The SA8000 does not record in HD.
post #4958 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 03:32 PM

You know it's surprising you cannot buy a DVD Recorder with Component or DVI input to you can record in HD.

Current the ones i've seen do SVideo and RF.

Pyrr
post #4959 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrr
You know it's surprising you cannot buy a DVD Recorder with Component or DVI input to you can record in HD.
Wouldn't that be because there really isn't a formalized, commercially available HD-DVD format?
post #4960 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Current the ones i've seen do SVideo and RF.

Pyrr
I have seen one from Phillips with component in (sorry, but I don't know the model number). I don't know if it will record in HD (I doubt it, but it will probably do 480p). It doesn't have any digital audio inputs even though it has both optical and coax out, so you would be limited to analog stereo.

-Chris
post #4961 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinstu
I'm in the Ballston area of Arlington, 5-7 miles from the DC tower and ~35-40 from Baltimore on the 3rd floor of a condo in the NE corner of the building. Using a Silver Sensor without any amp inside on a window ledge, I too see a lot of jumpy signals on the DC stations, and often get a better signal from the Baltimore stations. Moving it around to different locations doesn't seem to help, and I've already tried the different Radio Shack indoor models. Becuase of all the tall buildings and trees around me, I'm assuming that the issue is more multipath than signal. I just ordered a Squareshooter as I have read that some have had good experience with it reducing multipath, but I'm at the end of my rope. Last night during MNF I had to switch between DC and Baltimore and move the antenna around every 10 minutes or so, and was ready to just give up.

Anyone had experience inside or out with the Squareshooter in the area? I have a terrace on the North end of my condo that I'm going to try the new antenna outside to see if that helps...not that the single pane glass window can be causing too much signal reduction, but I'm reaching for anything at this point...
I am using a couple of SquareShooters here in Woodbridge. They are excellent. That was the first antenna I had tried over a 2.5 year(I had tried at leat 6) period that was able to consistantly pick up the OTA HD from my basement condo. I only wish they would have been available 3 years ago. It would have saved me alot of grief when I first got my HD set trying to get OTA HD. I had to record the HD witha HiPix card at another location and then bring it home on a removable hard drive to watch on the HiPix card I had at home.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4962 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4HiMarks
I have seen one from Phillips with component in (sorry, but I don't know the model number). I don't know if it will record in HD (I doubt it, but it will probably do 480p). It doesn't have any digital audio inputs even though it has both optical and coax out, so you would be limited to analog stereo.

-Chris
I dunno i think it could be nice to see input to 720(i can't remember if it's i or p) on DVD. Since DVD's do SP (2hrs) which is 420p, and XP (1hr) not sure what format this is in, but i'm guess it's 420p since the input would be 420p.

*shrug* just my 2 cents.
post #4963 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM

Cyclone, I am in Fauquier County.

bcrobb, thanks for the info. On the brochure they gave me it doesnt say the box #, but they have 1 on display in their office so I will go look. Does your box have a DVI or component out, or just cable and S-video. I thought this was a bit strange for a HD box. Also, have you ever had a chance to test the firewire connectors to see if they are enabled?

How is your overall picture quality? Have you had the chance to compare to satellite?

Thanks
post #4964 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 04:58 PM

Pick up new sony 42we655 tomorrow, called comcast to request cable card and CS stated that they only support Panasonic in my area, Anne Arundel County, Md. Is this true or should I call back. Do not want Cable Box since wife is disabled and would be better off with just one remote and one function.
post #4965 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely it is true, I've seen others complain about the limited number of models Comcast supports with cable card. Only thing I can say is most of the boxes out have universal remotes that can control your TV and audio receiver to some extent, don't know if that would help with your wife's situation...

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #4966 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a cable card thread or two over in the HD hardware forum. Basically, the Cable Labs have approved many manufacturs, but comcast is still going by an old evaluation when only Panasonic was approved.

Since they are the sole provider of Cable Cards, they make the policy. Besides, they have a financial interest in getting people to use a Set Top Box instead of a Cable Card, since you can buy PPV or VOD events with a STB than you could not purchase with these 1st generation Cable Cards.

post #4967 of 8537 Old 09-14-2004, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like Baltimore's WNUV-DT has taken another step closer to HDTV.

I'm seeing 54.1 SD and 54.2 HD broadcasting tonight. The bad news is that the 54.2 is still a 4x3 SD broadcast on the 1080i channel, while 54.1 appears to be 480i.

At least now my Dish 6000 has stopped remapping it to 40.1. I guess what ever Sinclair's old equipment was, they have taken offline. :D

post #4968 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast of Alexandria has Discovery HD on 205 now. Saw it this morning before work.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #4969 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 04:37 AM

Quote:
bcrobb, thanks for the info. On the brochure they gave me it doesnt say the box #, but they have 1 on display in their office so I will go look. Does your box have a DVI or component out, or just cable and S-video. I thought this was a bit strange for a HD box. Also, have you ever had a chance to test the firewire connectors to see if they are enabled?
The HD version of the SA box (SA8000HD) has component and DVI out. If the box only has cable/s-video/composite out then it is definitely not the HD version and will not record in HD.

My box does have the 2 firewire ports, but they are not active yet. The DVI is not active either. Apparently, SA will be sending out a firmware upgrade in the Oct/Nov timeframe that will activate the DVI/firewire/passthrough functions.

I am happy with the overall video quality. Prior to the 8000HD, I had the SA3250HD. In my opinion, the video quality is as good on the 8000HD as the 3250HD.
post #4970 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Comcast of Alexandria has Discovery HD on 205 now. Saw it this morning before work.
Can anybody with Comcast D.C. confirm that this went live? I didn't check this morning; definitely wasn't on last night.

I'm having the same issue with INHD and INHD2. Right after the channel lineup changed last week I could get both, then INHD2 dropped out, and now INHD is out as well. Hopefully they'll get them back on soon.
post #4971 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sasha_j
For the rotor? If so, just run a 22 gage 3-wire cable for LV power from the rotor controller inside. Nothing too fancy, but since the cable is exposed and run very high, I would use a good quality cable like from Belden or West Penn. Even though you don't need CL2P rating (ie, plenum), I would consider using it as the outer jacket is much more durable and thus better suited to being outside, exposed to the elements.
Thanks.

I'm the new guy trying to put up a 50' tower and antenna system and doesn't know what he's doing yet.
post #4972 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brcobb
The HD version of the SA box (SA8000HD) has component and DVI out.
Note: DVI is optional on the 8000HDs. Cable companies can order them with or without DVI. However yes ... ALL 8000HDs have component output.

WarrentonHD: If it's a combo DVR and HD box (one box), it will record in HD. Make sure to ask Adelphia if their 'HD service with DVR' is one box or two. For a while, before Cox started offering their HD DVR, they were offereing a 'HD service with DVR' promo that was basically a regular HD box (no recording) and a seperate SD DVR box (no HD). Now, of course, they offer an HD DVR that combines both. Don't try to infer too much from the cable company's marketing material. Most seem to use 8000HD and regular sd 8000 documentation / promo material / etc. pretty much interchangably. The regular 8000 (80gig) will get you about 30 hours of analog channels or 50 hours of SD digital channels (or some number inbetween for a mix). Sounds like that's where they are getting the '50 hours' from. The 8000HD with 160gig drive doubles those numbers for me ... or gives me right around 20 hours of HD recording.
post #4973 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was about to post that WFPT-DT 62.x MPT was back on the air, but appear to be off the air again. It was up around 6pm.

post #4974 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I was experiencing video dropouts on 4.1 today, in Sterling, VA. Anyone else? Also, is 62.x down or only am I not getting it anymore?
post #4975 of 8537 Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 PM

anyone know who to contact at WRC for a waiver (i don't think i'll need it but WBAL said they'd give me one if i got WRC to give me one) what ever that means.
post #4976 of 8537 Old 09-16-2004, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
anyone know who to contact at WRC for a waiver (i don't think i'll need it but WBAL said they'd give me one if i got WRC to give me one) what ever that means.
If your grade A or B from WBAL, your going to need one from them too.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #4977 of 8537 Old 09-16-2004, 05:20 AM

Hooked my new sony42we655 with built in tuner directly into comcast in annapolis/edgewater, and was surprised that not only did I get Baltimore local digital/hd channel but got washington locals 4,5,7,9,and 50 in digital/hd although at different channel mapping locations.
post #4978 of 8537 Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally posted by mjones73
If your grade A or B from WBAL, your going to need one from them too.
I just talked to DirecTv, they said I was eligible for NBCE but it costs an extra $1.50 a month. Have they always charged an extra $1.50 a month for these stations? I didn't have her turn it on since I already get it over the air, but I wanted to get it just for comparison.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4979 of 8537 Old 09-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmulligan
Hooked my new sony42we655 with built in tuner directly into comcast in annapolis/edgewater, and was surprised that not only did I get Baltimore local digital/hd channel but got washington locals 4,5,7,9,and 50 in digital/hd although at different channel mapping locations.
Where did you get the KDF-42WE655? I don't see the new GWIVs in the local area stores.
post #4980 of 8537 Old 09-16-2004, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u
I was experiencing video dropouts on 4.1 today, in Sterling, VA. Anyone else? Also, is 62.x down or only am I not getting it anymore?
anyone experience above yesterday evening (before 10PM)?
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page