Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 8537 Old 09-19-2004, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Is anyone having a problem with WJLA-DT OTA? I'm getting it mapped to 39.1 & 39.2 instead of 7.1. Otherwise the programming is being received just fine.
Ugh! Yes, I'm having this problem too. I set my HD-TIVO to record the Emmys tonight. So, of course, it is trying to record 7-1, which has no signal. I just tried 39-1 and I can see it.

What are they doing at WJLA??

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 8537 Old 09-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Ok. Since I have a multi-path issue with WUSA, would turning my CM3021 180 degrees such that the grid on the antenna is between the transmitter and the bowties make any difference? Or am I looking at 45 degree turns or something even smaller?
post #5043 of 8537 Old 09-19-2004, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good grief, 45.2 looks like its a its a internet streaming video (circa 2001) tonight. Looks like 360x150 resolution. WB50 doesn't have "Jack & Bobby" in HD either. Tonight's a poor night for HD.

1. Titanic not in HD on NBC
2. Speed not in HD on FOX
3. Emmy's not in HD on ABC.
4. Jack & Bobby not in HD on WB50 or WB54.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #5044 of 8537 Old 09-19-2004, 06:38 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Jack & Bobby at 6pm (rerun of the pilot episode) was in HD.
post #5045 of 8537 Old 09-19-2004, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriscuiT
Ok. Since I have a multi-path issue with WUSA, would turning my CM3021 180 degrees such that the grid on the antenna is between the transmitter and the bowties make any difference? Or am I looking at 45 degree turns or something even smaller?
Its more like, move it a little until its better. 180 or even 45 degrees sounds like way too much. I'm thinking of just "fine tuning" to attempt to reduce the mulltipath.

me for a
post #5046 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyGhost00
RE: NBC HD on D* - I forgot to check the house before I left today - would love to know if it was automatically turned on for folks, or if we'll need to call. I'm in Grade B for WRC with no other NBC stations.
GreyGhost00, I e-mailed D* the other day and this was their reply. This might answer your question......

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for writing. After reviewing your account we found that since
you subscribe to local channels and HD package therefore you are getting
Network NBC HD free of charge. You are not being charged for this
service however, if you wish to cancel please let us know by either
replying to this mail or call us at 1-800-531-5000 were our customer
care representative will assist you.

Sincerely,

Pooja
DIRECTV Customer Service
post #5047 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 05:51 AM

Status of Discovery channel in NVA on Comcast?
In Reston no Discovery yet. Someone posted it was online in Alexandria on the 15th as scheduled. Anyone else have it?
post #5048 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
WB50 doesn't have "Jack & Bobby" in HD either. Tonight's a poor night for HD.
Jack & Bobby not in HD on WB50 or WB54.
Actually, WB50 kicked in the HD half way through the show. I wonder if it was a national feed problem or did they forget to hit the switch.

They better not mess up the premiere of Smallville.
post #5049 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 07:28 AM

I noticed frequent DD5.1 drops during the HD-OTA Redskins/Giants game on Channel 5.1. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
post #5050 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I watched until the end and didn't see it in HD. I must have switched over to WB54 and watched it there.

I did get a lot of drop outs yesterday. I somehow have a lot of reception problems during this time of year. I am going to have to put my antenna up on the roof soon.

me for a
post #5051 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fox45 also is not showing the Redskins game. Whats up with that?
Cyclone:

You raise an interesting question. I would be interested in knowing the answer. I thought it had to do with the fact that the Ravens had a 1 pm home game. But didn't WUSA show the Ravens last week in the same situation, i.e., 1 pm Skins home game? Is it just station discretion?
post #5052 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikepinkerton
I'm curious, why aren't we getting an afternoon game on WTTG? It's not like there's a Ravens or Skins home game at 4pm (both games were at 1). What's the NFL rule on this?
Only one network can have a 'doubleheader' per Sunday. This was a CBS 'doubleheader' weekend. The other network can only show one game (per affiliate). Next Sunday, Fox can show a doubleheader while CBS can only show one game ...
post #5053 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, when the local team is at home, each network can only show one game so that there is no competition during the home team's time slot. So whenever the Ravens are home, Baltimore only sees two games and the same for DC on their local affiliates. That is why we only saw one game on Sunday on CBS even though it was a CBS (AFC) doubleheader day.

Rich N.
post #5054 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the answers. Now I'm glad that Balt and DC air different games. Its like a poor man's NFL:ST.

me for a
post #5055 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raidbuck
Also, when the local team is at home, each network can only show one game so that there is no competition during the home team's time slot.
CBS ONLY had 1:00 games for week one ... which is probably why WUSA (CBS 9) got to show the Baltimore game even though it was at the same time as a Redskins home game. CBS didn't have a 4:00 game for WUSA to show. However, this week, Fox had 4:00 games to show so Fox45 had to show one of those instead of the Redskins game (which would have competed against the Ravens home game).
post #5056 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 10:37 AM

I saw this mentioned earlier in the thread, a couple of pages back. I too am having this problem. All of the sudden I can't go to channel 7-1 it is receiving no signal, but on 39-1 I am getting great signal. It seems that WJLA is not broadcasting the channel label correctly. Anyone else seeing this.
post #5057 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sanger, we are all seeing this. I have emailed Mr. Forsythe, so he is aware of it. I'm sure it must be some kind of equipment malfuction or else it would have been switched back by now. At least the signal is on the air.

I wonder if any of the Cable companies that air WJLA get the signal OTA? If so did they have any issues with this?

me for a
post #5058 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 11:57 AM

Did anyone have any issues with WUSA OTA this weekend? I live out in South Riding, Va, and I had a CM 4221 install by FA in June. Everything has been working great until last week and this weekend. Started to get signal drop outs during the week which were really annoying but some what watchable. This weekend is got really bad with the signal jumping up and down like a yoyo. The games Saturday night and yesterday afternoon were unwatchable...

Not sure what is going on since everything was great. Just wanted to check before I place a call to FA to come out and do a check and take advantage of their "6 Month Relocation Policy"...

RJ
post #5059 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I had problems with WUSA as well this weekend. It has settled down now and I'm blaming this weekend on the wind/weather.

I don't think I could call FA though. They put my antenna up 3 years ago. :D

Bill

post #5060 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 12:22 PM

Hey Gipper,

Did you actually see signal strength fluctuate via your OTA signal strength meter, or were you just seeing a lot of break-ups / macroblocking? The reason I ask is that I've never had a problem with WUSA's signal either, and it seems that since they started multicasting the stupid weather radar they're not allocating enough bandwidth when they're broadcasting a full 1080i signal. I saw the break-ups / macroblocking during both the UT-UF game Saturday night, and during both NFL games yesterday.

Unfortunately, the HD-Tivo won't allow you to see the signal strength meter while you're watching a telecast, so hopefully someone with a receiver capable of overlaying the SS meter on a picture can confirm if the signal strength is actually dropping when the break-ups occur. The picture also looked very soft during the games, which leads me to believe its a bandwidth problem at the source. Is there anyone who watched these games via OTA antenna and *didn't* see the break-ups?
post #5061 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Anyone still having the 39.1 re-mapping problem? I just tuned 7.1 to test and it seems to be working fine...
post #5062 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jim_arrows
Hey Gipper,

Did you actually see signal strength fluctuate via your OTA signal strength meter, or were you just seeing a lot of break-ups / macroblocking? The reason I ask is that I've never had a problem with WUSA's signal either, and it seems that since they started multicasting the stupid weather radar they're not allocating enough bandwidth when they're broadcasting a full 1080i signal. I saw the break-ups / macroblocking during both the UT-UF game Saturday night, and during both NFL games yesterday.

Unfortunately, the HD-Tivo won't allow you to see the signal strength meter while you're watching a telecast, so hopefully someone with a receiver capable of overlaying the SS meter on a picture can confirm if the signal strength is actually dropping when the break-ups occur. The picture also looked very soft during the games, which leads me to believe its a bandwidth problem at the source. Is there anyone who watched these games via OTA antenna and *didn't* see the break-ups?
Jim,

The signal was actaully jumping up and down. I have the Hughes HTL-HD with the signal strength monitor. All the other channels were ok, so was checking to see if maybe if was a WUSA issue. I know the wind really affects the OTA signal, but it was still bad yesterday, and the wind had all but died down...

RJ
post #5063 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jim_arrows
Is there anyone who watched these games via OTA antenna and *didn't* see the break-ups?
I watched my beloved Steelers take in on the chin against Baltimore via OTA on WUSA. I watched the whole stinking, lousy game with no breakups. Actually this was probably the best HD broadcast I have seen to date. Those black and gold uniforms looked fantastic in HD. My problem is with WTTG. It has been breaking up allot since the storms this weekend. Maybe the winds turned my 4221 a little. Going to have to check on it.
post #5064 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 01:58 PM

Thanks RJ, we may be having different issues then. Unfortunately, 99% of the time I'm watching something time-shifted with the Tivo, so it does me no good to check the signal strength when I see it. However, on those occasions when I do check the signal, it's always rock-solid 95% on the SS (no movement at all, it's pegged there). I'm just a bit incredulous that whenever they start broadcasting in 1080i all of the sudden I start getting signal strength fluctuations, especially since it never happened prior to the radar sub-channel going on-line, and since I still never see it when they're broadcasting SD. I guess the better question is, did anyone watching the game via Cable see the break-ups / macroblocking? That would confirm that it was from the station's transmission and not a local reception issue.

Edit: Steeler posted while I was typing, so maybe it is an antenna problem... I'll have to try to watch something in real-time and check the SS meter when I see it.

Thanks Steeler, I'm with you on the Black & Gold. That was an absolutely pathetic display against an arch-rival, although Ben looked somewhat promising. We're not in HD next week, though.
post #5065 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gipper
Just wanted to check before I place a call to FA to come out and do a check and take advantage of their "6 Month Relocation Policy"...
RJ
If you DIY you have a "lifetime relocation policy".....
post #5066 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by CycloneGT 9/16/2004: Cyclone: DirectTV has added NBC-HD to its HDTV offerings. WRC NBC4 is an NBC O&O station, but you will need waivers from WBAL if you are within their Grade A or B range. Check the DirectTV Eligibility website for qualifications. $1.50/mo for the channel. [/b]
cyclone, check out my post here
post #5067 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 02:57 PM

"SHOCKER" WBAL are despreate to get customers who don't get Baltimore stations.

WBAL objects to your receiving a national HD satellite feed of NBC programming at this time. WBAL has recently spent millions of dollars to construct our own digital facilities, including the ability to offer our viewers the very best HD signal technically possible.

Please note that I do not even recieve WBAL on any TV.

*shrug* guess i'll have to wait for HD locals :(
post #5068 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, according to D* I can get signals from Baltimore, even though I cannot get them from DC. Thankfully, I dont have to worry about that yet...Cable has it's advantages...

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5069 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 05:33 PM

I have placed a ChannelMaster antenna on my roof (do not have the model number). There is no rotor for aiming the antenna. It is attached to a Samsung SIR-T151 tuner.

For a good while it was picking up all the local stations, but during the past few months things have changed and now it only picks up NBC, ABC (sometimes), and CBS. FOX, PBS, and sometimes ABC have disappeared.

I believe that I need a proper antenna installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Does anyone have a recommendation?

thanks
akramer
post #5070 of 8537 Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 PM

Look at the first page of the thread dor antenna installers. I think Fairfax has the best reputation.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page