Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 8537 Old 09-28-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can use my Handy Excell Spread sheet for recording signal strengths.

Download 5k - dtv.zip - click on link.

Its basically just a spreadsheet where you can record your reception strengths in a column. Make a change, and then note the new strengths in the next column, etc.. You can then evaluate the changes and return to previous setting if its better.

Cyclone

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 8537 Old 09-28-2004, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like WFPT-DT 62.x (UHF 28) is back on the air. Its a little weaker than I remember.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #5223 of 8537 Old 09-28-2004, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4.1 seems to have dropped its signal...lately I have had issues with it. Never had any issues earlier? People from Sterling...getting it loud and clear?
post #5224 of 8537 Old 09-28-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryC
Mike,

It this something that just happened? I have had zero problems on any Baltimore digital station. Maybe it's time to get out the ladder.

See you at the game tomorrow!
Hi Larry,

Yeah, this is a recent discovery, but I may have caused it by cranking my antenna rotor lock to lock several times on Saturday trying to pick up the Purdue/Illinois game on channel 15 out of Harrisburg. If the analog stations are coming in fine as well as the PBS HD feed on 67.x, I'm a little befuddled as to why the good ol' networks are dropping their 1's and 0's to me. I put an adequate loop in the cable so their shouldn't be a problem with full rotation. I guess it's ladder time.

Watch out belooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
post #5225 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by GoIrish
It is the channel location Comcast has aired NFL Net games of the Week the past two weeks on their Harford, Howard and Baltimore Cty cable system.
Comcast.com even has channel 188 listed as "NFL NETWORK HD (Game of the Week)" for Baltimore County. Hasn't shown up for Baltimore City yet (unfortunately for me).

I hope they add NBA TV HD at some point.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #5226 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast did show several NBATV-HD games this spring, so maybe they already have added it. We'll see what their NBA schedule is. I don't know if they can show a game in this area if Comcast Sportsnet is showing the Wizards in HD.

Rich N.
post #5227 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aaronwt
I would like to be able to see Enterprise in HD before it gets cancelled. Maybe the power will be turned up before February sweeps.
You may want to give UPN out of Lancaster a shot then. Digital 23. I pick it up at about a 60 signal strength (on my MyHD card) and it airs Enterprise in true HD.
post #5228 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 06:38 AM

It appears that a new Regional Sports Network owned by Angelos and the new DC team is part of the overall deal. I realize that Comcast Sports Net has been one of the better providers of HD content for sports. Any thoughts if this new network will embrace HD for the two baseball teams? Is Angelos to cheap to make that investment? Or is just way to early to tell?

Anyway I hope to be in the seats for many of the games, but for those I can't be - HD is the only way.
post #5229 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 AM

My only concern with a new RSN is the rumor that Comcast wants to use the provsion in the Federal law that permits them to prohibit satellite companies from receiving their signal, e.g., Comcast SportsNet - Philly. Is there anyway we can get this loophole closed?
post #5230 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I bet comcast will make a deal with the O's and MLB to be their Channel which will be a mirror of the current CSN except during the games and will be available in DC and Balt.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5231 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EricRobins
My only concern with a new RSN is the rumor that Comcast wants to use the provsion in the Federal law that permits them to prohibit satellite companies from receiving their signal, e.g., Comcast SportsNet - Philly. Is there anyway we can get this loophole closed?
Only if they use Satellite to move the content. Since all of the CSN content is sent via Fiber they are not using a loophole.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5232 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zebras23
Is Angelos to cheap to make that investment? Or is just way to early to tell?

If history is any indication, Angelos will set up the network, it will be in HD for every game, and then one day soon an HD camera angle will portray the O's in a less than steller image, and Angelos will cancel the HD rights so the trucks end up at ESPN (Jon Miller).
post #5233 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I heard on one of the news programs last night, that Angelos had a condition that the Oriols will continue to be shown in the DC market, but the Senators will not be shown in Baltimore.

You can bet that Comcast will lock down hard on the Senators and that you won't find them on a DBS. Hopefully Angelos (and I guess the Senators owners) will want to have them in as many housholds as possible. More likely they'll want Comcast's big check.

I just sure hope that they change the name from Expos to Senators. There was never a world Expo here in DC, so the name does not fit. Plus my Father was a big Senators fan, and I'd like to see them in action myself.

post #5234 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
[B

I just sure hope that they change the name from Expos to Senators. There was never a world Expo here in DC, so the name does not fit. Plus my Father was a big Senators fan, and I'd like to see them in action myself. [/b]
still OT, but I read that the Texas Rangers still own the name 'Senators' so at the minimum they'd need to work out a deal with them.

I know you want the nostalgia, but i think Senators sounds kind of daff to me, to each his own :)
post #5235 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1080iAddict
If history is any indication, Angelos will set up the network, it will be in HD for every game, and then one day soon an HD camera angle will portray the O's in a less than steller image, and Angelos will cancel the HD rights so the trucks end up at ESPN (Jon Miller).
For Real. The Giants got one of the best announcers in Baseball in that fiasco.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5236 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 08:56 AM

I'll take that bet. There is no way a new DC franchise that needs to build a regional fan base would allow Comcast (or any rights holder) to keep its games away from 25% of the market. The only reason the Phillies are cable only is because they are owned in part by Comcast. As for the Padres, the other MLB team that has a cable only tv deal, its deal is the result of the relatively compact region from which its draws its fan base.
post #5237 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kenrowe
I'll take that bet. There is no way a new DC franchise that needs to build a regional fan base would allow Comcast (or any rights holder) to keep its games away from 25% of the market. The only reason the Phillies are cable only is because they are owned in part by Comcast. As for the Padres, the other MLB team that has a cable only tv deal, its deal is the result of the relatively compact region from which its draws its fan base.
What bet? That Comcast will show their games? I should have clarified my response some.
Baltimore will see the O's and DC/VA will see the DC team only when each is on at the same time if they are both on Comcast.

Philly is all fiber and had no existing contract to be on satellite, that is why they are not on Satellite.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5238 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think he's responding to my post. I should have qualified with "you can bet that Comcast will try to lock down....".

post #5239 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1080iAddict
On Baltimore County Comcast, channel 188 now appears with a "to be determined" listing. There was no 188 ever until the past few days.

So, who is landing there? I would love to see WBFF-DT (FOX-HD), but my guess is that when hell does freeze over, Fox will land at 183.

So... who is landing at 188? There is an INHD logo there right now, but not sure if that is simply a test logo or if it is there for some other reason.

-ach
TitanTV also shows WNUV-DT at 184 but the Comcast box refuses to stop on that station. I was hoping that I could have seen Smallville in HD last week but no such luck. At least something shows when you tune to 188.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #5240 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike6by9
TitanTV also shows WNUV-DT at 184 but the Comcast box refuses to stop on that station. I was hoping that I could have seen Smallville in HD last week but no such luck. At least something shows when you tune to 188.

YMMV
WNUV-DT is owned by Sinclair, so it probably won't end up on Comcast anytime soon. TVGuide.com also has it listed, along with WBFF-DT on channel 183. WBFF-DT is also owned by Sinclair. Interesting that they would know what channel numbers to use. Either they're guessing (and the numbers do make sense given the location of the other hd stations), or they know something we don't.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #5241 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike6by9

YMMV
Titan TV matches the Comcast master line-up, not just local systems. Sinclair has not given the rights to Comcast to carry WNUV or WBFF in Baltimore nor have they given any cable company the right to carry any of their HD stations nationwide.

Regards,
GoIrish
post #5242 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u
4.1 seems to have dropped its signal...lately I have had issues with it. Never had any issues earlier? People from Sterling...getting it loud and clear?
No probs last night in South Riding.... so could be directional? I do have a Winegard preamp (see profile), of course...

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #5243 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by minhi
still OT, but I read that the Texas Rangers still own the name 'Senators' so at the minimum they'd need to work out a deal with them.

I know you want the nostalgia, but i think Senators sounds kind of daff to me, to each his own :)
Correct on the Senators. At one point when the Expos or an expansion team were moving here 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 . . . years ago (too many unfulfilled promises) I believe they were going to call them "The Nationals" b/c the Rangers wouldn't let go of the Senators.

My concern is if they name them the Senators (or Representatives) they'll emulate their names sakes on the Hill and yell at each other all day, faulting the press for everything (or each other) and in the end accomplish nothing but raising campaign funds (i.e. profits for the owners).

It is time for a fresh start - we should come up with a name. My favorite is our old college intramural basketball team: The Infant Eaters (The next year were "Infant Eaters II - Just when you thought it was safe to bare children.") Of course my all time favorite was a Volleyball team we played from a Catholic Seminary called: Piontus Pilot and the Nail Drivers. Man could they spike a ball.
post #5244 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 10:36 AM

I think they should resurrect a Negro League name. How about "Grays". I like that. :)

Philip Hamm
post #5245 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 11:22 AM

How about "Orioles-South". Angelos would like that, eh?
post #5246 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philip Hamm
I think they should resurrect a Negro League name. How about "Grays". I like that. :)
Sounds more like a X-Files name.

BTW: Sinclair operates, but does not own WNUV WB54.

post #5247 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 12:12 PM

CycloneGT was correct about my "bet." Sorry for not being more clear.
post #5248 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Question for you Comcast in Montgomery County customers, is the DVI port active?

post #5249 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

There was a line on WTOP this AM for the Blue Sox, since we have the Rex Sox and the White Sox.... :D

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #5250 of 8537 Old 09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hawks ... a natural predator of the Oriole
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page