Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 8537 Old 10-03-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Again, both NBC affilaites do not show today's Nascar Race in the "Widescreen" format which is available. I don't know why they have such a problem with this.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 8537 Old 10-03-2004, 05:45 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How did you just finish watching it? Did you record it?

Comcast SportsNet always has really excellent picture quality for O's games (and Capitals, Wizards, Mystics). Wonder how they'll split up the schedule next year with O's and Expos.
post #5313 of 8537 Old 10-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4HiMarks
Way back when HTS (now CCSN) first started, I believe it was a premium channel everywhere except PG Co. That changed to basic everywhere sometime in the 90's, when I was living out of the area.

When ESPN started, I don't blame cable companies wanting to be paid to carry it. Back then it was little more than bass fishing and exercise shows, plus SportsCenter.

-Chris
It was in the basic tier in their NoVa markets as well (and in Charles County, MD, where i lived at the time and had the basic tier). Montgomery County, MD (and Arlington County VA were still owned by Prime Communications, and Baltimore City and Washington, DC were owned by semi-local franchisees.

Also, at the time, HTS was a joint venture between Group W and CBS Cable. However, that got trainwrecked when Group W and CBS merged operations and due to FCC rules, the merged comany shuffled quite a few stations around (and sold WCAU-TV in Philadelphia, among others). While all this was happening, Comcast was purchasing Jones Intercable (and already owned a sports network in Philadelphia) and waved a *lot* of greenbacks in CBS' face to buy the rest of HTS they didn't acquire in the Jones Intercable deal.

Also, ESPN was a rarity, a cable network focussed *entirely* on sports. Neither MLB or the NFL had a clue about sports over cable (they were highly wedded to OTA and the then Big Three networks). Other than the loose affiliations such as SportsChannel and PRIME (HTS was a PRIME affiliate), a national programmer such as ESPN was unheard of. (The PRIME affiliates and SportsChannel weren't true networks, but more like regional networks that swapped programming; however, SportsChannel *did* do the first US rights' deal for the CFL (I remember visiting relatives in Aston, where Comcast was the cable provider, and they carried Comcast's regional package and SportsChannel Northeast, which carried CFL games prior to the CFL's brief US expansion).

Does SportsChannel still exist? (Most, if not all, of the old PRIME affiliates have joined Fox Sports Net (FSN).)
post #5314 of 8537 Old 10-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f44
How did you just finish watching it? Did you record it?

Comcast SportsNet always has really excellent picture quality for O's games (and Capitals, Wizards, Mystics). Wonder how they'll split up the schedule next year with O's and Expos.
Comcast will likely cover not just exhibition games between the two teams, but when the O's are on the road and Washington is at home, RFK will get HD coverage; when the Os are at home and Washington is on the road, the Os get HD. When *both* are at home (and not playing each other), Comcast borrows another truck. When the two teams *are* playing each other, CSNDC covers the series.

Yes, they *will* play each other in interleague play.

Angelos would agree to this? Two words: Oh, Yeah.

1. Natural rivalry: two teams, separated by all of forty miles (The mid-Atlantic's version of the now-commonplace Subway Slugfest between the Yankees and Mets.)

2. It will get butts in the seats, *especially* at RFK. Does Angelos *really* think we would forget his role in the lack of a team here for thirty-three years? In DC, the Orioles would be what the Yankees are to the Red Sox and Mets, and the same would likely happen when the two teams play at Camden Yards.

3. The Os and 'Spos *already* play each other in interleague play. You wouldn't even have to change the schedule.

4. You could even get Best Buy and/or Circuit City to *sponsor* HD coverage of the series (as I call it, the *Baltington Brawl*, just as some local TV retailers sponsor local HD broadcast of the local MLB home games).
post #5315 of 8537 Old 10-03-2004, 06:38 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PGHammer
When *both* are at home (and not playing each other), Comcast borrows another truck.
But if they are playing at the same time, which game will they show? There is no Comcast SportsNet 2, unless they move it to WJZ/WB54/WDCA.
post #5316 of 8537 Old 10-03-2004, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WB54 did not show Jack and Bobby in HDTV tonight. WB50 did.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #5317 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 06:34 AM

Cyclone:

Very odd about 54 since last week's Jack & Bobby was in HD and Smallville was also in HD. I think there are technical issues because during both broadcasts there would be occasional flashes from HD to SD and back again during both broadcasts. I tivoed Jack and Bobby last night so I haven't watched it yet.

Scott
post #5318 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was hoping somebody could help me out. It looks like I'll be getting a place in a few weeks with a few of my friends near 66/Fairfax. We checked and are able to get HD via Cox, but I was wondering if anybody is aware of any deal, or any "hidden" deal (like talking to a manager only) that are available for the forseable future.
I have read of some before with DirecTV, but haven't been able to turn up anything on Cox.

We are looking to get their internet service, HDTV, and their HD-R.

Thank you in advance!
post #5319 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman07
I was hoping somebody could help me out. It looks like I'll be getting a place in a few weeks with a few of my friends near 66/Fairfax. We checked and are able to get HD via Cox, but I was wondering if anybody is aware of any deal, or any "hidden" deal (like talking to a manager only) that are available for the forseable future.
I have read of some before with DirecTV, but haven't been able to turn up anything on Cox.

Thank you in advance!
The Directv deals you are talking about usually involve the retention dept. People threaten to leave and go to another provider then Directv sweetens their deal. Since you are presently not a Cox customer this would not apply to you. You are at Cox's mercy. Call them they should give you some kind of a deal if you commit to all you have stated. Check their deals out closely most are tied to a time limit and after the time is over look out!
post #5320 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Thank you in advance!
being a cox customer, i sometimes see the deals, but they're minor at best. free extended basic for a few months, or digital cable at a discount for 6 months. you're not going to save a huge amount if that's what you/re looking for...

they do give a small discount if you sign up for cable + internet, but it's still pretty steep. but we don't have many choices out here. and their internet service has been pretty solid for me.

keep in mind that HD on Cox does not get you all the HD channels, last i checked you get ABC, CBS, NBC but no Fox, WB or PBS. Of course you get whatever premium HD channels that apply to you (HBO, ESPN, Discovery etc). If this has changed, please let us know.
post #5321 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I signed up for Cox in August and I got an SA 8000HD DVR, another regular converter, HBO, a bunch of the SD tier channels and cable internet for three months at $67. Regular price is about $114 I think.

HD channels now include Fox. You get HBO and SHO when you pay for those packages, you get ESPN-HD, INHD and INHD2 as part of expanded digital and you get ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS HD free (I'm pretty sure). No PBS, WB, UPN or Comcast Sportsnet-HD.

-Devin
post #5322 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 AM

FOX-hd on cox channel 705
http://cox.com/fairfax/digitalcable/...nnellineup.asp

Happiness is: Jessica Alba in HD
post #5323 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 AM

Well those are some serious issues if you ask me. I definitely require WB and UPN.
Has anybody had any experience with Comcast or VOOM?
post #5324 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI: The www.checkhd.com site is now on line. I guess it might have been since Oct 1st. It looks like it is a very useful site. You can actually have it list only the "HDTV Programming" for each channel, or night, or for the week, etc... It appears to be HDTV centric version of TitanTV.com, and has a better version of www.antennaweb.org built in.

I did find one flaw, when you list the HDTV cable/sat channels, it lists TNT-HD as USA. hehe.

post #5325 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minhi
being a cox customer, i sometimes see the deals, but they're minor at best.
Wow, check out these great deals. I'm pitching my D* dish in the trash and signing up for cable.............................................not.

http://cox.com/fairfax/promotions/default.asp
post #5326 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Well those are some serious issues if you ask me. I definitely require WB and UPN.
Has anybody had any experience with Comcast or VOOM?
I have comcast .. what do you mean by "experience"

post #5327 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 11:54 AM

Experience - time with. Would be best if somebody has had either of those services and/or DTV, Dish, or Cable and could compare the services.
post #5328 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
FYI: ...............and has a better version of www.antennaweb.org built in.
cyclone, it might be a better version for some people but for my address the digital station info is completely wrong.
post #5329 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
cyclone, it might be a better version for some people but for my address it is completely wrong.
It's from the same folks that brought you AntennaWeb (the CEA), but they have also teamed with TitanTV (for listings).

The problem is they have a serious lack of indoor antennas for picking up stations in the *yellow* range.

I have a different issue, and it's with WRC-DT.

While I can pick up the other major DC HD/ED stations that are at full power or close to it (WJLA, WUSA, WETA, WTTG, even the Megahertz Monster that is WNVC-DT), WRC-DT is a no-show.

Except for WETA-DT and WNVC-DT, all are at 358 degrees and within twenty miles (WUSA is furthest away). If there is one station I would expect to have problems with, it would be WUSA-DT (sharing antenna space with WJLA); however, they are the *best* station in terms of both signal strength and picture clarity (in fact, most weekdays WUSA-DT absolutely *spanks* Comcast's cable feed of WUSA-TV), while WRC-DT (which shares antenna space with nobody) is the problem child. (Buildingmate WKYS-FM, which NBC used to own, now has it's own tower, which is next door to, but lower than, WRC-TV/DT's tower.)

Has WRC-DT (or even TV) been having issues with the southern reaches of their Grade B contour? The reason I ask is that the feed from Comcast (Ritchie-Marlboro Road headend) of WRC-TV has also declined in PQ lately.
post #5330 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertforsyth
Just a quick point....

My engineering staff is here in Rosslyn with me. :)

NewsChannel 8 is fed via fiber to 'most' of the area cable head ends.
Thanks for the corrections (I knew NC8 ran fiber to Waldorf, as NC8 has a local bureau there just down Post Office Road from Comcast's Waldorf headend).

I was not aware that the *engineers* all moved to Rosslyn (I would think that some of the transmitter techies would have stayed put in your old space for *antenna watch* duties).
post #5331 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Experience - time with. Would be best if somebody has had either of those services and/or DTV, Dish, or Cable and could compare the services.
It really depends on your personal needs and who you ask. I'll tell you cable because I get what I need from it, I have comcast and I don't get UPN-hd which is ok with me. I get HBO-SHO-STARZ-MAX-INHD 1&2,ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,PBS,CSN. Im also happy with the PQ. I also have D* but only for the NFL Ticket >> However, you ask someone like STEELER and he'll tell you Dish all the way. He's had bad experiences with cable. You'll have to ask him for specifics.

post #5332 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch
Robert

Not trying to scare you off but I did have a question for you or other engineering staff from other stations

Why don't any of the local DTV stations broadcast program guide information in the digital stream (is it called PSIP info?)? Is such information not provided in useful form by the network or require a lot of coding locally?

Would really be appreciated by me in my channel surfing using MyHD card and could open up more reasons for me to drop cable; not that you would care one way or the other on that point.
In Robert's defense, he does *not* have an HDTV on his desk, and neither does anyone else on the staff.

For me, WJLA-DT has been mostly problem-free.
post #5333 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rhoeckele
After months of research and reading this forum, I ust got my Sony GWIII 50".

I live in Manassas, Virginia (DC statons) and get my channels through Comcast. I have never used an antenna. (Zip code 20110)

I have extended basic with no pay channels.

Trying to sort out my options here. It looks as though for $5.00 extra per month, I can get Comcast HDTV.

But there are a number of separate options for "Digital Cable" which is between $70-100 per month.

$5.00 per month sure sounds good to me...as long as I can watch the Redskins on Sunday and HD (when offered) on my local stations.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Here's the details:

Comcast HD is $5 per drop. Digital cable is *not* required.

DVR is an extra $4.75 per drop.

HD *and* DVR is a *total* of $9.75/drop.

Reminder: DVR *is* available in Prince George's County, MD (the information on Comcast's Web site is *wrong*).
post #5334 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
cyclone, it might be a better version for some people but for my address the digital station info is completely wrong.
Weird, for me its dead on. www.checkhd.com includes channels for me that www.antennweb.org omits. Plus it shows all the subchannels which antennaweb never did show.

Finally, you can click on the map and move the reception position around. Not sure how useful that is. But reception did change within my neighborhood. I guess there are elevation changes.

post #5335 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rachurch
I'm a D* customer in Crownsville, MD. Comcast just told me that for $29.99 per month for 12 months and a $9.95 install fee, I could get an HD DVR, 8 channels of HD and 220 channel digital package. I have to give them my HD dish, though. She also said that the HD DVR is a Scientific Atlanta box.

This doesn't sound right to me. For one thing, I'm pretty sure it's a Motorola headend. Anyone heard of this offer? Is it worth it if it's the Motorola box? If it is the Mot box, it's just 1 tuner, right?

Right now I have a regular D* Tivo, but this looks like a good deal for HD DVR versus the overpriced HD Tivo.

thanks!
If you're in Crownsville, take a trip (short) to Gambrills.

Comcast's headend is on Route 3 itself, *before* I-97 merges onto it. (MD 178 west to MD 3 south; south on 3 to where the median *narrows* below MD 175. Make a U-turn and head back up 3, northbound. The headend will be on your right.)

If it is indeed a Moto headend (Comcast has *mixed* headends; however, most of the ex-Jones headends, such as yours, Waldorf, and Ritchie Road are GI/Moto based) you'd get Moto's DCT-6208 (HD, DVR, and single-tuner). It can record SD *and* HD programming.
post #5336 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PGHammer
In Robert's defense, he does *not* have an HDTV on his desk, and neither does anyone else on the staff.

I am unclear on how *not* having the means to monitor their plant's output is a "defense". To me, it seems an indictment.

For simple monitoring purposes, this could be basic as using a MyHD card in a desktop PC. Presumably, there is an RF drop available on the premises.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #5337 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GoIrish
It's a Moto headend and would be a single tuner 6208 for a short while. They should have the dual tuner 6412 with an improved guide in 60 days and you could upgrade to that box then for no add'l charge.

The offer you received is valid and a good one. They're trialing some unique marketing ideas in this area including an all digital line-up very soon.

Regards,
GoIrish
Actually, an all-digital lineup makes sense, ala carte or not!

Cablevision has been doing that for three years now.

Here are the *obvious* reasons for all-digital:

1. No more digital churn at the basic end. With some form of digital basic as the *only* basic, that sort of churn goes away.

2. Analog boxes go away. Keeping both sorts of boxes is *only* necessary because of financial reasons (customers don't want to pay higher prices for digital cable). However, it costs the *cable company* to keep track of those analog boxes (in addition to M&R and other expenses involved with old, and getting older, analog cable boxes) more than they take in. By going all-digital, *both* issues go away.

3. Customer choice gets *easier*, not harder. The so-called *limited basic* will likely go away (this is always analog-only). What would replace it would be a digital basic (either with or without HD) for the same price. (If Comcast were smart, they would indeed make HD part of the *standard* digital tier, even with the currently low penetration of HD-capable TVs vs. SDTVs. In fact, it would be a killer response to what VOOM is doing.)

Where is Comcast currently trialing an all-digital lineup?
post #5338 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sasha_j
I am unclear on how *not* having the means to monitor their plant's output is a "defense". To me, it seems an indictment.

For simple monitoring purposes, this could be basic as using a MyHD card in a desktop PC. Presumably, there is an RF drop available on the premises.
The engineering staff is *not* located on the transmitter premises.

The engineers are in Rosslyn, VA; the transmitter and antenna are parked at 4100 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
post #5339 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
comparison...................cable = bad..... directv = good....OTA = also good

Seriously, it looks like you are tying to take the easy way out by having someone else do your work for you. Not trying to be rude but do your homework. You can make your own comparisons (really you can) then if you have a specific question/s then post them.
post #5340 of 8537 Old 10-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I listened to a Cincinatti radio station one night airing a Reds game. But I've never received a far away Digital TV station yet.

Back when i was a teenager, my favorite trick was AM/MW DXing using (get this) a *tabletop clock-radio* (one of the old semi-cheap AM/FM clock radios with buzzer alarm).

Most evenings I could yank in WCBS NewsRadio 88 reliably (and even KMOX from St. Louis, MO on most of these same nights).

Northeastern stations were easy, southern stations were tough. KMOX and Greater St. Louis were my longest reliable reach (WBBM, OTOH, was duck soup).

Yuu guys with the towers should do pretty well in the ED/HD DX department. Same would apply to 40' or taller masts. (THat is height above ground, not height-above roof, unless you're in an urban zone.)
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page