Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 8537 Old 10-16-2004, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like our NBC affiliates once again do not put the Widescreen NASCAR race on their -DT channels. I'm really begining to believe that they don't really think that NBC is offering these races in Digtial 16x9 480p widescreen.

As far as the current DBS/OTA/Cable debate goes, things always seem to work out uniquely for everyone. So please always respect other's choices. No one comes here to have their judgement questioned, and they shouldn't have to.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 8537 Old 10-16-2004, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DWPerrone
I anticipate have D* and an OTA antenna installed over the next couple of weeks. Are all installers created equally? Anyone have any recommendations or comments?
Best Buy or CC will just give you a generic installer, likely the same ones that DirectTV would send if you called their 800 number. I'd believe that tweeter does have a installer that they recommend. You can ask if they do OTA antennas, and how extensive their wiring services are.

I'm not sure if Fairfax Antenna or Consumer Antenna go out to Eldersburg, but you can call and find out. Ask around.

me for a
post #5583 of 8537 Old 10-16-2004, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i know most of you guys are OTA, but does anyone know if montgomery county comcast offers HD DVR yet (moto 6208/6412)? i'm new in the county and have found comcast's website to be less than accurate when it comes to new services. thanks!

Chris
post #5584 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wheeler1629
i know most of you guys are OTA, but does anyone know if montgomery county comcast offers HD DVR yet (moto 6208/6412)? i'm new in the county and have found comcast's website to be less than accurate when it comes to new services. thanks!
Yes they do, currently the 6208.

They're about to rollout the 6412, in less than thirty days. It's worth waiting for this model.

Regards,
GoIrish
post #5585 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Correct, a Friend of mine in Rockville picked up two 6208s.

me for a
post #5586 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wheeler1629
i know most of you guys are OTA...
I have no way of knowing if that is in fact, true. As much as I would like it to be, I have a feeling that OTA use (on this list) is in no way in the majority.

In the USA, the CEA quotes OTA use by the public at large at 8-15% of TV viewers, a range that I would probably agree with. Many of my posts here deal with reasons why enlightened TV consumers might want to consider taking up OTA use, either as a total replacement for cable or DBS (as in my case), or as a supplement to DBS for local DTV and HDTV.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #5587 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 09:18 AM
f44
AVS Special Member

What is the most current HD cable box (non-DVR) that Comcast in Montgomery County has?
post #5588 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 10:48 AM

It just seems like the majority of people posting are OTA. Maybe I'm generalizing. I have access to both, so I'm not going to enter that argument on one side or the other.

The non-DVR HD box I have is the Moto DCT6200. Thanks for the info on the 6412.

Chris
post #5589 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

On the OTA issue, I don't know about 'most', but people with good cablecos have a harder decision. I use OTA because the only other choice I had until recently was Adelphia <ick> and its 3 or 4 (?) HD channels. At the time, I wanted the weather radar on WJLA (now on WUSA), and the PoliChannel on WJLA, so I went OTA. Better PQ, but a shame I can't get B'more under normal conditions.

I have a slightly lower need now for OTA, since I have NBC and Fox (now MLB, soon all) HD feeds from D*, but will never get CBS or ABC (if they are ever up on D*) HD from sat.

It could be interesting to have a separate thread's poll to see what people in Wash/Balt use as their *primary* means of getting network HD.

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #5590 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 01:59 PM

Hey all,
I am in Crystal City and get periods where CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC all go in and out every 5 seconds and makes watching TV impossible..ie football games. I am using the Zenith Silver Sensor pointed at 359 degrees per antennaweb.org and have the DTV Samsung T160 receiver. Reception usually gets better at night, which is consistent with what I have heard about the signals being boosted at night. Does anyone else have this problem? Does it have to do with how close I am to DCA? Thanks in advance.

J
post #5591 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Don't get me wrong, I'm a DBS/OTA advocate all the way. But my friend would not have wanted to go with RF remotes/video distribution/wife can't watch one thing in the bedroom while he's watching something else in the office.
Indeed, and why would anyone do that? I've only seen that depicted in cable commercials. Yeah, it's $5 a month for each extra receiver. But so was Comcast, when I left it, for analog descrambling boxes -- or $13 per receiver for digital. (The way our system was set up, only the most basic (OTA-equivalent) tier would work without a box.)

57 channels and nothing on
post #5592 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 06:46 PM
f44
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if Comcast SportsNet showed The Next Great Champ in Fox Widescreen today?
post #5593 of 8537 Old 10-17-2004, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by f44
Does anyone know if Comcast SportsNet showed The Next Great Champ in Fox Widescreen today?
No they didn't, just like they didn't show the playoffs in widescreen/hd on Wednesday. It seems like CSN only shows local sports (Orioles, DC United) that way. They could really use more hd programming, including their studio.

I don't know why they and WBAL insist on stretching 4:3 programs when everybody can do that with their tv anyway. I'd rather (and do) watch sd.:mad:

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #5594 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 06:29 AM

I live near Tuckahoe Elem. in Arlington , VA.

Even though I have NFL Sunday Ticket... I would like to get both DC and BAltimore HDTV OTA stations. This should help me get both AFC and NFC focused games... Based on Antenna web... both DC and Balt. stations are in the same direction. The Balt. Tower is less then 50 miles away.

Based on my research, it seems as if I can hurt the reception of DC stations if I get a long range antenna...

Before I stated investing in antennas and equipment... can I have some advise on what works in my area?

Thanks!
Sean
post #5595 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 06:59 AM

Sean,

I've got two antennas mounted in my attic, one pointing to Baltimore and one pointing to Washington stations. I've got a mechanical switch to go between them. If you have the space this is a good option, especially when something like my CM4221A is only $30 shipped.

Philip Hamm
post #5596 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw an ad on WB54 last night for The Lord of the Rings coming Nov 7th. I believe that this is when the entire WB network is supposed to initiate full time DD5.1 carriage for all of their HDTV programming. I know that WB54 mistakenly currently has the DD5.1 flag set, but starting Nov 7th, them and WB50 should be getting DD5.1 directly from the network.

I've only seen WB50 broadcast DD5.1 once or twice, and that was back when they had a Michael Jordan Wizards game on in Apr 2003.

me for a
post #5597 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

I don't wish to ruffle any feathers or upset anyone but............I was watching D* yesterday morning and a commercial came on for Cox Communications. What a crock of crap! The premise of the commercial was to try to show why cable is a better choice than satellite. The two main points, matter of fact the only two points of the commercial were...

1) Satellite subscribers experience signal loss during periods of rain.....and cable does not
2) When bad weather comes through you can watch the local weathermen on cable meaning you can't with satellite.

I have seen these tired commercials played before but not recently until yesterday. Is Cox that desperate? Again, what a crock of crap. I will concede that when a very bad thunder storm rolls through the area I will lose my signal for a few minutes maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Compare this to when I had cable. I would routinely lose my cable picture and I mean routinely so much that I would take the time lost off my cable bill with the cable company's approval. And when my cable picture was down it would be down for hours not minutes!!!!

Second point is very simple............. has the cable company's ever heard of D* TOTAL CHOICE WITH LOCALS programming package. Dish has a similar package I just don't know the package name. What rock has the cable company's been under the last few years?????? What about the OTA option available with D*.

Even though this commercial has a slight thread of truth to it, it should be considered false and misleading advertising.

This leads me to 3 questions.....

1) Do the cable company's really think that the American viewing public is that gullible????

2) The American viewing public can't be that naive. Can they????

3) How long can the cables company's continue to air these antiquated myths about satellite tv.

End of rant.
post #5598 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

1) Do the cable company's really think that the American viewing public is that gullible????

Yes

2) The American viewing public can't be that naive. Can they????

I would say for most folks, (not this list) probably so

3) How long can the cables company's continue to air these antiquated myths about satellite tv?

For as long as it takes. This is not the only myth Big Cable spreads. Until recently, the Big Cable disinformation machine did everything possible to confuse consumers into equating digital cable with HDTV. And if a consumer already knew about HDTV, the Big Cable line would be something along the lines of:

"HDTV standards are not in place"

"There is very little HDTV programming"

"Cable is investing billions..."

Compared to OTA and DBS, Big Cable was the last to join the HDTV bandwagon.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #5599 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cable has been losing subscribers to the Dish systems for quite a while now. But they can't get a way with these "lies" for too long because most people now know someone with a DBS system. They can ask and find out the truth about outages and price.

1. So Yes, the Cable Co's do think that people are the gullible.
2. No, The American Viewing public has been leaving Cable for DBS, so they are not naive.
3. They only have to run them long enough until their full digital build out is complete. Once the shut off Analog and have their systems up to full capacity with Phone service, they'll legimately have a much better product to sell. If only they can get out of that nickel and dime mentality.

me for a
post #5600 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT

3. They only have to run them long enough until their full digital build out is complete. Once the shut off Analog and have their systems up to full capacity with Phone service, they'll legimately have a much better product to sell.
Yes for probably double the price of satellite..................NO THANKS.
post #5601 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmorehouse
I am in Crystal City and get periods where CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC all go in and out every 5 seconds and makes watching TV impossible..ie football games.
It does sound like a reception issue. You can try either a bigger antenna, or putting a amp on your Silver Sensor. You can get a 10db gain amp from Radio Shack for about $30. Try it, and if it doesn't work for you, you can bring it back for a full refund.

The Silver Sensor is a good antenna, but for some reason its not working out for you. I'd suggest moving the aim of the antenna around (even if it means less signal strength) to see if that improves the dropouts. But you likely have already tried that.

me for a
post #5602 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

If you have some spare time on your hands, check out this archived thread about this unbelievably clueless Adelphia CSR and how he tries to con his customer.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say Cable Disinformation.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #5603 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Philip Hamm...

Which antennas do you have?
Whicj one points to Balt. and which one points to DC?

Thanks!
Sean
post #5604 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seantyler
Based on my research, it seems as if I can hurt the reception of DC stations if I get a long range antenna. Before I start investing in antennas and equipment... can I have some advise on what works in my area? Thanks! Sean
I don't think that you need a very "long range" antenna to get the Baltimore Digital signals in Arlington. It is possible to over power the DC stations by putting a much too powerful amplifier on the antenna. That is rare though. A decent UHF antenna I think would get both cities with moderate amplification. There are other Arlington OTA folks here, hopefully they can share their experience. Also use the search feature for past posts about Arlington.

Are you planning on mounting the antenna on the roof or attic? Also will you being doing this yourself, or hiring a pro?

me for a
post #5605 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sasha_j
If you have some spare time on your hands, check out this archived thread about this unbelievably clueless Adelphia CSR and how he tries to con his customer.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say Cable Disinformation.
Thanks sasha, great intellectual and representative response from a member of the mighty cable company fraternity.........Again what a crock.
post #5606 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I am pretty happy with Cable, Sure, they dont offer everything under the sun, but since i cannot get D* or E* in my Condo, nor does OTA work very well due to where I am situated and bad Multipath, I am happy. I get my Locals in HD, Movie CHannels, ESPN, Discovery, INhd1+2, CSN and a HD DVR.
Sure, they misinform about their product, but what product does not misinform or have miniscule fine print?

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5607 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeInNVa
I am pretty happy with Cable, Sure, they dont offer everything under the sun, but since i cannot get D* or E* in my Condo, nor does OTA work very well due to where I am situated and bad Multipath, I am happy. I get my Locals in HD, Movie CHannels, ESPN, Discovery, INhd1+2, CSN and a HD DVR.
Sure, they misinform about their product, but what product does not misinform or have miniscule fine print?
Joe, I understand your situation but there is a big difference between minuscule fine print and continued blatant deception.
post #5608 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

There will be situations, no doubt, that cable will be the best choice, especially for condo or apartment dwellers.

Just about all of my posts regarding the benefits of OTA use are stipulated with the assumption that the homeowner owns their own roof, ie, single family home or townhouse.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #5609 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
Joe, I understand your situation but there is a big difference between minuscule fine print and continued blatant deception.
Well, technically when it rains, you could lose your reception...Just like you could lose cable during that time.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #5610 of 8537 Old 10-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeInNVa
Well, technically when it rains, you could lose your reception...Just like you could lose cable during that time.
Quote from earlier post...........

"I will concede that when a very bad thunder storm rolls through the area I will lose my signal for a few minutes maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Compare this to when I had cable. I would routinely lose my cable picture and I mean routinely so much that I would take the time lost off my cable bill with the cable company's approval. And when my cable picture was down it would be down for hours not minutes!!!!"

"Even though this commercial has a slight thread of truth to it, it should be considered false and misleading advertising."
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page