Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 285 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #8521 of 8537 Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
One thing that might be cool without confining people to a separate forum would be the ability to set your own stickies. You could have 7 or 8 Wash/Balt (or any AVS threads you choose) threads that you "stick" that stay on top of your page of threads, regardless of which AVS forum you are in.

Not sure that's possible, I'll have to check it out. I know nothing major will happen until the new vBulletin software is completely tested and loaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8537 Old 03-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That would indeed be a cool feature.

In this case, the really cool feature would be the ability to create a view with two (or more) threads combined. That way the one-threaders and the two-threaders could each get what they wanted and the less polarized could try out the alternatives.
post #8523 of 8537 Old 03-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'd vote against a Mid-Atlantic forum, too.

My suggestion (and I have no idea if it's implementable) would be to leave the Local forum mostly as it is, with just the highest-traffic cities -- and just those that wanted it -- turned into subfora. So you'd have us, maybe NYC, etc., as subfora alongside regular threads for smaller markets.

As far as administrating it, I can't really speak to that, but I suspect that any market big enough to merit a subforum would include interested, qualified people willing and able to moderate it.

57 channels and nothing on
post #8524 of 8537 Old 03-05-2005, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
VOOM's website is back up.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #8525 of 8537 Old 03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

I suggested a separate thread for OTA quite awhile ago and got shot down.

I have DirecTV and really don't care about local cable companies. For DirecTV questions/comments, I use the HDTV Programming Forum. I come here for OTA questions/comments. I really don't care about COX, Comcast, Adelphia, etc..., but also realize that a lot of people do care about them. What better than a "DC/Balt Cable Thread" for them? I realize this is just my opinion, but wouldn't it really be a lot simpler with a DC/Balt OTA Thread and a DC/Balt Cable Thread?
post #8526 of 8537 Old 03-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus Carr
VOOM's website is back up.
If you call their number you will get a real live person on the other end who will take your new order. If you mention their latest news releases she reads a disclaimer from a sheet of paper. :confused: Anyone going to sign up????
post #8527 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
If you call their number you will get a real live person on the other end who will take your new order. If you mention their latest news releases she reads a disclaimer from a sheet of paper. Anyone going to sign up????
Hmm, Do I get a free STB with an ATSC tuner out of it?

-Chris
post #8528 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had problems with WTTG-DT last night. I lost 5.1 and it appeared on 36.1 when I rescanned it. I'm guessing that they are working on their PSIP settings. This morning it actually worked on both 5.1 and 36.1.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #8529 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

After removing and re-adding WTTG-DT on my Dish 6000, there is no improvement (or change) in the PSIP behavior. Only on the first attempt to tune the station can I select it via 5-1. Thereafter, I can only tune WTTG-DT via 36-1, and I still wait 10-15 seconds for a picture to appear. The 6000 also still "thinks" it is tuned to 4-2 in all cases!
post #8530 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulGo
I vote for two threads, one for OTA and one for cable / satellite.
The problem with multiple threads is that things like "breakups on WTTG on Comcast" won't get responses like "it was that way OTA, too". This makes it much harder to figure out just where the problem is.

In addition, for those of us with satellite, we would have to read both threads anyway, since most of us get our HD networks via OTA.
post #8531 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

I can't believe the biggest college b'ball game of the year (Duke v UNC) was not in HD. Come on CBS get a clue.
post #8532 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally posted by nabsltd
The problem with multiple threads is that things like "breakups on WTTG on Comcast" won't get responses like "it was that way OTA, too". This makes it much harder to figure out just where the problem is.

In addition, for those of us with satellite, we would have to read both threads anyway, since most of us get our HD networks via OTA.
But the people who have cable have very little interest in OTA. Also soon satellite users will be getting there local station HDTV from the satellite.

Also if I did have an interest in an OTA issue it would be easier to find it in an OTA thread.
post #8533 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I, for one satellite user, intend to NEVER get my local digital stations from satellite. OTA is and will remain for some years (at least) the highest quality source for current HD material. Perfect? No, but the best available. I expect BD and or HD-DVD to produce higher quality, but they won't be providing current network TV shows. I have an antenna, and will again if I move, and see no need to pay for DTV locals at lower quality from satellite or cable. And I'm VERY happy with DISH.

Reunite Pangea!
post #8534 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulGo
But the people who have cable have very little interest in OTA.
Some of the people some of the time maybe. Millennium only has Baltimore ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox broadcasts in HD... their customers need OTA for WB, PBS, and Washington HD. Similarly, Baltimore Comcast subscribers need OTA to get Fox HD. Always nice to have a backup anyway... while cable is more reliable than it was 10 years ago, it still suffers from outages (especially during summer when scattered power outages affect their repeaters.)
post #8535 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fmsjr
Some of the people some of the time maybe. Millennium only has Baltimore ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox broadcasts in HD... their customers need OTA for WB, PBS, and Washington HD. Similarly, Baltimore Comcast subscribers need OTA to get Fox HD. Always nice to have a backup anyway... while cable is more reliable than it was 10 years ago, it still suffers from outages (especially during summer when scattered power outages affect their repeaters.)
i'd also remind people that many times when folks have problems with HD over cable they check with the OTA people to compare.

while this thread is hard to keep track of, i think it's a function of so much input. i would not track multiple threads and most likely not track any thread if it were split up.

and i think this debate needs to to be settled quickly (most likely unilateraly) as IT is now taking up unecc. bandwith.
post #8536 of 8537 Old 03-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Is it just me or am I seeing Starz HD on Cox HD (in Fairfax) on channel 713.
on another note, i think the thread should just be restarted and stay unified.
post #8537 of 8537 Old 03-07-2005, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have created the new Washington / Baltimore - HDTV thread.

So please post over there for continued HDTV conversation. At 8500+ posts, this thread is just too large. The intial post of that thread will continue to be updated with news and information.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
me for a
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page