Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1951 Old 10-07-2005, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OTA tuners like the SIR-T151 only work with over-the-air signals that you receive via antenna. They can't decode QAM signals (although some units, like the Samsung SIR-T451 reviewed here do both).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1951 Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Hello all

I live right on the Indiana/Ohio border, in between the Toledo and Ft Wayne markets, a little closer to Fort Wayne. My HD oddyssey began with Voom last year. After they folded, I switched to Dish, but still had the Voom HD tuner which works reasonably well for viewing OTA content.

I originally had a Winegard PR 8800 pointed at Fort Wayne, but couldn't pull their Fox affiliate and tried other directions without much success. I then purchased a Channel Master 4228 this summer and with a combination of adding a new signal amplifier, 5 feet to the antenna mast, and aiming at Toledo instead, I was able to pull their Fox affiliate right in time for football season.

What I would like to do now is to add my old antenna to pull the Indiana/Fort Wayne channels. The "problem" is that both antennas appear to be UHF and I have not found any luck in finding a UHF-UHF diplexer. I tried a UHF-VHF but that seemed to severely cancel out the signals and dropped me from 21 channels I had facing east (counting all the subchannels) to just 3 of the Fort Wayne stations, so I unhooked it for now. The vendor does not carry such a part and the sites I was referred to did not seem to have anything.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Paul
post #273 of 1951 Old 10-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I recently hooked up an OTA antenna in the Toledo area. I am using an HTPC with an HDTV wonder card. It works great, however, when I try to tune to channel 49 (WNWO-DT) I get a channel called "the tube". It is a music television channel.
I would really like to be able to watch NBC in HD but can't seem to figure out how to tune the channel. Antennaweb.org confirms that I can receive the channel, and the frequency is channel 49. Help... Notre Dame vs USC is only 3 days away!
post #274 of 1951 Old 10-13-2005, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp View Post

I recently hooked up an OTA antenna in the Toledo area. I am using an HTPC with an HDTV wonder card. It works great, however, when I try to tune to channel 49 (WNWO-DT) I get a channel called "the tube". It is a music television channel.
I would really like to be able to watch NBC in HD but can't seem to figure out how to tune the channel. Antennaweb.org confirms that I can receive the channel, and the frequency is channel 49. Help... Notre Dame vs USC is only 3 days away!

The Tube is one of WNWO channels, but that is about as much as I know (I pull the locals over QAM).
post #275 of 1951 Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 AM

Digital Toledo NBC has three broadcasts 24.1, 24.2 and (ready for this)... 24.3

On my Voom OTA 24.1 is NBC and 24.2 is the tube. It is the same way with Directv.

Check your stb, you should get all three.
post #276 of 1951 Old 10-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply. As it turns out, I am using SageTV Beta and there is a bug that doesn't read the sub channels correctly. I switched back to the ATI software that came with the card and got 24.1, 24.2, 24.3. I think the tube was on 24.2, but the prime time stuff is on 24.1.
So until Sage fixes their bug I will continue to use the ATI software.
post #277 of 1951 Old 10-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Liked: 12
Hi everybody, I haven't posted here before but I would just like to let anyone with Time Warner know that PBS-HD out of Bowling Green has now been added to the channel linup on 728, which used to be just a digital copy of analog channel 12. Oh yea, I live in Genoa (if you know where that is).

That now brings me up to 14 channels of HD, 16 if you count PPV Events and OnDemad.

314 HBO-HD
358 SHO-HD
699 PPV Events HD
711 CBS-HD
713 ABC-HD
724 NBC-HD
728 PBS-HD
736 FOX-HD
755 DiscoveryHD Theater
756 TNT-HD
760 INHD
761 INHD2
763 HDNet
764 HDNet Movies
765 ESPN-HD
1001 HD OnDemand
post #278 of 1951 Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 PM

I have a question to those that are pulling in HD from Buckeye using a HD tuner with QAM. Does anyone have any problems with the reception from Buckeye? Mine is hit and miss. I have an LG 4200a. It's hooked up to both the antenna and cable. The antenna, which is nothing spectacular, gives me great picture and audio. I occasionally have a audio/video dropout. Hooked up to the cable, it's horrible. I've hooked it up with and without the cable split. I've tried 3 different splitters and none of them will allow a consistant audio/video feed. It goes in and out. If I hook the line that comes into the house directly to the 4200a, its better, but it still cuts in and out enough to completely annoy you. When I do get a signal, the picture in HD is great, but the rest of the channels (non-HD) have a lot of static in them. My tv displays the picture crystal clear with or without the splitter. I've had this box hooked up to 2 other peoples cable without any problems. Both of them had mutiple cable spitters in the house. What gives? Any suggestions before I call Buckeye?
post #279 of 1951 Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Myers212,
sounds like the cable wiring in your home. The drop to your house could also be partially bad, on top of low MHZ splitters, by the time Buckeye's signal gets to your TV, there's not much there. You may have to have BCS put a in-line amp in the path flow. I have had my drop & splitters swapped out, line amp installed and I have the works (cable, internet & phone) so I am loaded with splits and have usually a solid connection. Have BCS check out your lines as a couple bad connector crimps can have some heavy rf leakage.Call them out , it's free.
post #280 of 1951 Old 10-20-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks. I'll give them a call and have them come out. The drop to the house and the wiring inside is brand new too! I'll follow up on what happens.
post #281 of 1951 Old 10-22-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstockin View Post

I originally had a Winegard PR 8800 pointed at Fort Wayne, but couldn't pull their Fox affiliate and tried other directions without much success. I then purchased a Channel Master 4228 this summer and with a combination of adding a new signal amplifier, 5 feet to the antenna mast, and aiming at Toledo instead, I was able to pull their Fox affiliate right in time for football season.

That's alright; a lot of DTV viewers in Fort Wayne can't get WFFT either. Also, it doesn't help that their DTV signal is on the same channel as FOX Toledo analog. If you could get WFFT, you'd be disappointed; they don't do HD and won't for quite a while.
post #282 of 1951 Old 11-01-2005, 02:12 PM

OK guys,

I just got, and setup the newest DVR from Buckeye. the biggest change is the fact that it has a HDMI output. I have also noticed (maybe my imagination?) a slight improvement in Analog channels. Menu's are a little faster.

I mostly got the new box because my DVI output failed on my Phase I box. But I also wanted the latest and greatest. My TV has DVI input, so I am using a Monster Cable HDMI to DVI converter, and it works great.

Now, there are supposedly some issues with audio output from the Coax and Optical outputs when using HDMI. I am NOT having any issues, but I am also using the converter, so my TV is not actually using any HDMI "handshaking" in regards to audio. Apparently Dolby Digital is not being output from those digital outputs in certain cases. Rumour has it that there is a firmware fix that fixes this.

Those issues are being discussed here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30

The only audio difference I notice is that I no longer get DD when watching analog channels, my stereo picks it up as analog stereo. DD works fine when watching any digital channels, including HD.

UPDATE: I now get no Dolby Digital using the HDMI in certain scenarios. See the link above for more details. So if getting Dolby Digital is important to you right now, don't get the new box, however I am sure that this will get fixed soon.
post #283 of 1951 Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 AM

Does anybody have a buckeye technical contact so that they can be made aware of this problem.

Calling on the phone does not give me the peace of mind that I want that they know about this and are preparing the upgraded firmware (that other cable companies are rolling out).

Thanks for any information you can provide.

This is now a problem for me, my father, my friend, and a large stereo shop that recommends (and demo's) Buckeye.
post #284 of 1951 Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Trabbic,
Got you covered, message sent to Buckeye rep. Will advise once I hear back.
VidEditor
post #285 of 1951 Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks, I know buckeye is responsive to this stuff as long as they know about it.

This forum is a great resource, I wonder if techs around the country spend time here?

Thanks again, I hope to hear from you soon!
post #286 of 1951 Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videditor View Post

Trabbic,
Got you covered, message sent to Buckeye rep. Will advise once I hear back.
VidEditor

TRABBIC, Your issue was sent to the Motorola Rep of Buckeye. Same one I sent the Fox non-FFWD issue, so hopefully they'll act fast on this one for you too!
VidEditor
post #287 of 1951 Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM

SWEET, thanks Videditor!!

Let them know too, if you discuss this issue with them, that I will gladly beta test a firmware update if they so desire.

I am a computer consultant with 12 years experience working with hardware and software in the PC industry, and am a beta tester for Microsoft.

Although Audio/Video is just my hobby, there are many similarities!

Thanks again!!
post #288 of 1951 Old 11-08-2005, 11:31 AM

Is Buckeye still working on the issue of short sound drop-outs? It seemed to be better for a while, but the last couple of weeks have been terrible. Fox seems to be the biggest culprit, but I get it on most of the other channels, too. It's highly annoying!!
post #289 of 1951 Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
no network hd tonight on buckeye?? Phone tech is clueless...claims it is network feed..........impossible for all 3 networks to be pumping SD.

????

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #290 of 1951 Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Perhaps local Channels only feeding SD?

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #291 of 1951 Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 AM

I noticed the same thing. I'm thinking it was because of all the stupid election results they were overlaying the actual shows with. Perhaps the local stations can't do that with a HD signal? I'm guessing, but it makes sense (at least to me).
post #292 of 1951 Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Well my HD signal is back for Fox, NBC, CBS, WB, and PBS. No ABC though. Buckeye sent someone out to check out why I could not receive the HD signals. They tested the line at the tv and had a signal of +11. The tech said that it was a great signal. Just no HD. He left and said he'd get back with me. In the mean time, I disconnected everything and then reconnected everything and did a new scan on the LG. All the HD channels are coming in with the exception of ABC. I got a call from him two days later and I told him I was getting the HD channels again. So I still don't know what went wrong in the first place.
post #293 of 1951 Old 11-10-2005, 05:13 AM

I now have directv and Tuesday night I Tivo'd my usual shows. NBC, ABC and Fox all were SD. It looks like it was not Buckeyes fault. I think it may have had something to do with the locals and their election graphics setup.

Edit: Using OTA-HD tuner.
post #294 of 1951 Old 11-10-2005, 05:55 PM

Guys,
While I do not work at a broadcast station, I can pretty much say that the locals cannot effectly do the news drop-ins of election coverage that often (for HD transmit). SO I am sure the HD channels were just fed the SD feeds so they could have broadcast results on SD as well as HD. The only real HD inserting they are doing now is CG crawls, which are probably upconverts of the same CG machine as the SD signal gets.
Also, heard today that NBA HD this year again will only have 4 hour blocks when a HD game is on. They were suppose to go full 24/7 this Fall. Least they could do is simucast the SD on the HD feed so my converter won't lock up while passing that channel. Not sure why they are not going full time, their studio show is in HD. Seems ESPN HD does a much better job of working SD into the HD format. Also look for ESPN2HD at the end of this year - don't quote me, but I heard it's in the final stages.
VidEditor
post #295 of 1951 Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 AM

+1

That is exactly what I was thinking, most of the channels have the election update graphics on the left hand side of the screen and lower section, this format is not conducive to being simulcast on SD and HD. It is just easier for them to step everything down. I did notice however, that I was watching FOX and they only had the election updates on during the commercials, maintaining my HD show (House). Even a HD commercial they normally have (Stacked) was in SD. I am behind in my shows this week, so I can't comment on any other times or channels.

Great news on ESPN2HD, have you heard anything about PPV or VOD HD? Thanks for the updates...
post #296 of 1951 Old 11-16-2005, 06:54 AM

Hey there, newb question here. New to HD in NW Ohio. Trying to figure out how QAM works.

I have the buckeye cable modem and buckeyetel phone service, and DirecTV for my SD channels.

I am using on OTA antenna with great success for HD.

Is there a QAM tuner or other product I can hook up to my incoming cablemodem feed that will provide some HD?

I'm considering getting the new Motorola 6412 HDDVR box from buckeye but wondering if it is worth it. Any thoughts?
post #297 of 1951 Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 AM

Are you looking to go with cable for tv instead of DirecTV? Or are you trying to get a HD signal with just the cable modem connection? When I had a cable modem there was a filter installed that blocked out the tv channel frequencies, or so I was told. The modem was installed off the first splitter to get the best signal possible. If you're looking for tuners with QAM, I only know of 3 off the top of my head. They are the Samsung TIR-T451, LG LST-4200A, and the 2 Sony DVR's DHG-HDD250/500. I only have experience with the LG which is what I currently am using.
post #298 of 1951 Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:

...or are you trying to get a HD signal with just the cable modem connection

Yes - curious what is coming across on that line. I plan on sticking with D* for regular TV. If buckeye could offer the NFL Ticket they'd have all my business.

Is buckeyeHD as good as OTA for local channels? The OTA picture from WGTE in 1080i is incredible. I could sit there all day and watch it. Not impressed with WTOL CBS OTA HD at all. They encode their signal to say it is 1080i but it is not. That kind of stuff really irritates me. And why is FOX only 720p? Do they plan to go to 1080i?
post #299 of 1951 Old 11-16-2005, 09:04 AM

Welcome!!

I think that buckeye's HD channels are encoded, requiring a box (or cable card) to decode and view them.

ABC, ESPN 1&2, and FOX all broadcast 720P Nationally, some argue that 720P is better for sports and fast action, because the progressive scan provides smoother high speed motion. Whether or not this is true is debatable (I notice no difference) Everything else is 1080i.

My picture with Buckeye is very good, I would be surprised it it were any better OTA, Buckeye claims they pass along what they get from the TV stations.

CBS certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Although I think that it is in 1080i, their broadcast is not at as high a bitrate so there is pixelation and fuzzy picture quality.
post #300 of 1951 Old 11-16-2005, 10:15 AM

I never really thought about what you may get when you have just the cable modem. As for HD channels that you get, you'll get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, & WB. They pass these through with the basic service. Any other channels that Buckeye has in HD will require a cable card or their HD box along with subscribing to them.

With Buckeye, I have less picture/audio dropouts than with OTA. But then, I was using a 1970's-1980's era antenna that came with the house. Signal strength is a little better than OTA also.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page