Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1953 Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey mark, do you know of any stores up there that sell channel master or the antenna direct db8. I usually shop in toledo a few times a month and id like to know if any stores sell them. Google has left me high and dry searching. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1953 Old 04-08-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Nivo, I can't really answer your question. I haven't done any ota stuff up here yet. I am still just living in an apartment until we get the house in South Carolina sold.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #393 of 1953 Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 AM

ah ok, well im leavin now to head up to circuit city and other places. Im pretty sure they wont have what i want, but i still wanna look around. Lookin for the ch 4221 or 4228, or even a db8. I just doubt any store carries one in stock. Have a good one.
post #394 of 1953 Old 04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Is there ANY chance of turing off the subchannels during the Master's final round???

CBS has a terrible problem with blurring/pixelization during rapid transitions or fast movements. You can even see this on Lettermen when guests walk out.

RD 1 and 2 had PERFECT PQ on UHD. Today...Rd 3...the deaded CBS pixel issue reared its head again. WHen a ball drops from the sky and hits the green...the screen dissolves into a mass of Mpeg2 hash for a few seconds.

Since there was none of this on UHD...I am convinced it is the subchannels sucking off bit rate. It is bad enough we had this throughout the NFL season and NCAA basketball....but it seems we could do without the bit starvation for just 5 hours on Sunday.

If possible...your hardcore HD viewers will be forever grateful!

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #395 of 1953 Old 04-09-2006, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be nice huh Tom? At least we get to see round three on UHD since it was rained out yesterday. I'm planted in my chair in front of the plasma all day, so nobody bother me.

post #396 of 1953 Old 04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotta love the pixelization as the ball drops out of the sky and hits the green. Love the blurry, pixelated transitions. Only WTOL can render a beautiful 1080i broadcast into a semi-mess because of multicasting.

On the other hand...the UHD morning round has created a new standard of HD beauty. Golden sunshine, Augusta in the early morning....we may not see this again for years.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #397 of 1953 Old 04-10-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Gotta love the pixelization as the ball drops out of the sky and hits the green. Love the blurry, pixelated transitions. Only WTOL can render a beautiful 1080i broadcast into a semi-mess because of multicasting.

I receive WTOL (11.1) and multicast via OTA and had no problems with pixilation.
post #398 of 1953 Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 PM

well i finally got antenna up on saturday. Saw a bit of the Masters, 11-1 was beautiful. 11-2 was blurry and appeared to be "zoomed", it was nasty. So i stuck to 11-1 from WTOL. Definitely much nicer than cables version hehe. Being here in Findlay, I had to go to Lowes and pick up and amp. I could get 11, and 13 ok, just could not draw down 24 and 36. I hooked up the Spartan 3 from channel master and VOILA! getting clean signal at about 45% on the channels i could not get before, and 70-75% on ones I did get. Gonna be nice here for a few days, so its time to go out and do some fine tuning for signal. Im only up about 12ft on my satellite pole but it does well for now. Eventually this summer I plan to go higher.
Almost forgot, this is using a U-75R antenna from ratshack for $24.99. So far, im satisfied.
post #399 of 1953 Old 04-21-2006, 06:57 PM

It appears Buckeye is now offering HD content from the locals (Toledo and Cleveland) for free. Check out the PDF document on Buckeye's "Channel Line-up" page called "Local HD Line-up (no digital converter/no cablecard)".

I've been trying to get some information out of Buckeye regarding the tuner required (I'd assume QAM) and TV suggestions. Anyone else know any more information about this service? I think the people I contacted at Buckeye don't even know that they're offering this service.

I had two Samsung HP-R4252 TVs that could to tune these channels temporarily but then the TV would reboot after watching for a couple minutes. One of the TVs would make a horrible sound before powering itself off. I now have a Samsung HP-S4253 and have now been informed that my TV will not tune the signal all together.

In any case, I'm quite angry with Samsung as well as Sears. I feel that I have been sold a product that has been mis-advertised and works improperly. Also, the people at Sears need some education on the products they are selling. It would be an obvious benefit if the people in the store selling TVs would actually know something about the local cablesystem. After my experiences, I would highly suggest you avoid Sears and especially Samsung plasma TVs.

Anyways, I'd like to hear what people have to say about the free HD and any suggestions on what TVs work with this service.
post #400 of 1953 Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Has anyone else been having trouble with Buckeye's boxes lately? Specifically the Moto 6412 (I think that's the right model; it's the DVR one). Anyways, I had my first Moto box for a little over a year, and it was fine until about the last week I had it, when it started doing weird stuff: only recording 22 minutes of 30 minute shows, recording the wrong channel, one recording of an hour long show ended up recording for 11, etc.

I returned that one to Buckeye and they swapped me out a new one. This one I've had for a little over two months, and it started locking up on Sunday. It will still show the channel it's on, but it will not change channels, bring up menus or anything. It won't even respond to the power button on the box itself. Only solution is to unplug and plug it back in. It happened both Sunday night and last night. That one is going back today after work.

I can't complain, because Buckeye is good about swapping out defective hardware, but it's annoying to have to reprogram all of the series I watch and to miss the episodes that I missed while it was locked up (fortunately, 24 and Prison Break are on iTunes as of today and The Sopranos and Big Love are replayed throughout the week).

Is anyone else having similar problems?
post #401 of 1953 Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

jubjub75, I haven't had any problems with the 6412 that I have now. The first one was horrible though, and ended up locking up 2 times a day (the clock stopped at the point where it locked up). If it was on, it will still show the program, but you couldn't change channels or use the remote or box buttons at all...had to unplug and replug. I probably got rid of that box 2 months ago...did you get it at the Southwyck office? Maybe you have my old box. I'd swap it out.

post #402 of 1953 Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

deleted double post.

post #403 of 1953 Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 PM

jub,
Which 6412 version is it? I, II, or III. The phase II are the most reliable. The III's have a few known issues that BCS is working on. The III's have the HDMI output, II's have DVI outs. BCS has been telling folks to leave the power turned on all the time. Though I don't power off, I have had only a couple minor issues. The bonus is, I guess if you leave it on your fav. channel, you can catch the last 15 minutes after coming home late. Swap it out again, try for a phase II box.
post #404 of 1953 Old 05-10-2006, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Both of my boxes have been III. This second one has had no problems thus far. I am actually getting used to it, and like some of the features better than the Time Warner DVR that I have in South Carolina. The picture quality is great for the most part up here too. I am suprised that BCS would want the boxes powered up all the time. The Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR that Time Warner uses has a auto power down that is not controllable. Every night it automatically powers down at 1 or 2 am. They said it's to give the hard drive a break and let the unit cool down. It runs VERY hot, even in a fan vented cabinet. I don't know how the Motorolas are tempwise since mine is sitting out in the open.

post #405 of 1953 Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Well, I got a new one last night, but I'm not sure which Phase it is (I'll check tonight). I do leave the DVR powered up all the time. The only thing I noticed on the new box is that the IR receiver has a much narrower field of vision. With my old box, I could be at almost a 90 degree angle from the box and it would still pick up the signal. With this one, I have to be much more straight-on. I may look into an IR extender, as it doesn't seem to pick up signals too well from my prime viewing seat.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll keep you posted!
post #406 of 1953 Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Gang,

I live in Perrysburg, which seems to be part of the Adelphia service area (judging by the number of direct-mail pieces I receive each week).

Does anyone know when Time Warner is scheduled to acquire Adelphia's assets? And does this mean that I will be able to receive Time Warner cable services when this supposed acquisition occurs?

Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Josh
post #407 of 1953 Old 05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Josh,

I live in Perrysburg, and we have Buckeye Cablevision. They have pretty good cable tv/hd/phone/internet. I moved here from a great Time Warner area, and have decided I still really like this system too. Their service leaves a little to be desired, but their products are great.

post #408 of 1953 Old 05-23-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa73 View Post

Does anyone know when Time Warner is scheduled to acquire Adelphia's assets? And does this mean that I will be able to receive Time Warner cable services when this supposed acquisition occurs?

The supposed "drop dead" date - when TWC/Adelphia/Comcast say the deal has to be done - is now July 31st. I don't know if that means anything different if the deal is not consummated by then. It's undergone a lot of scrutiny and is taking longer than most expected.

Even if the deal is done by July 31st, don't expect an immediate "switch" in services, pricing, etc. It will probably take a few months to a year for them to "convert" Adelphia people to TWC...in such things as lineups, new services (i.e. "digital phone"), etc. For the first year or so, the Adelphia system will likely operate much as it has now, except that they'll answer the phone "Time Warner".
post #409 of 1953 Old 05-24-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

Hey Josh,

I live in Perrysburg, and we have Buckeye Cablevision. They have pretty good cable tv/hd/phone/internet. I moved here from a great Time Warner area, and have decided I still really like this system too. Their service leaves a little to be desired, but their products are great.

I had Buckeye for years, but left them about 18 months ago in favor of DirecTV.

My problems with Buckeye at the time involved high prices (DTV was $20 cheaper), a seeming lack of certain channels, and their lack of Olympic coverage during the 2004 games. Plus, I couldn't (and still can't) get the Toledo Blade to stop tossing those blue direct marketing bags on my lawn every Sunday.

So, I just don't know if I can give any more money to the Block family.

On the other hand, my DirecTV equipment keeps breaking, and I'm growing very tired of it. After 18 months, I've gone through two receivers, one satellite dish and now I have issues with my multiswitch.

The grass is always greener, so that's why I inquire about Time Warner.

Josh
post #410 of 1953 Old 05-25-2006, 06:43 PM

Hey guys, just a heads up. I have been testing two new cable boxes for Buckeye. One being a HD/DVR combo and another small footprint box. The main deal is that they only have digital tuners, no analog. Chan 2-99 have always been analog. The HD box (3412) is just like the 6412s (think that's the number), no great new features, except all chan are digital. The KOOL box is this little DCT-700. It's about the size of a half sheet of paper (wide) and about as tall as your phone. It's also a digital only box (meaning the RF incoming, there is composite & RF outs), that does VOD, premium channels, the whole works. With the small footprint you have no clock or chan. display, but you still have the guide. I have it hooked up to a bedroom tv (13") and the small size lets it sit right on top. It does have a wall wart. BTW the digital signal looks quite nice. Makes non-hd channels bearable.
The FFWD skip fuction does not work. That's the one a number of us have programmed ourselves. But I was told it will be avail on the next software release.
VidEditor
post #411 of 1953 Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 AM

There are still going to be analog channels. It's going to be a simulcast. I'll explain later when the time comes.

Jason Hansen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #412 of 1953 Old 06-13-2006, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videditor View Post

Hey guys, just a heads up. I have been testing two new cable boxes for Buckeye. One being a HD/DVR combo and another small footprint box. The main deal is that they only have digital tuners, no analog. BCS is swapping the analog channels out for digital. Chan 2-99 have always been analog. The HD box (3412) is just like the 6412s (think that's the number), no great new features, except all chan are digital. The KOOL box is this little DCT-700. It's about the size of a half sheet of paper (wide) and about as tall as your phone. It's also a digital only box (meaning the RF incoming, there is composite & RF outs), that does VOD, premium channels, the whole works. With the small footprint you have no clock or chan. display, but you still have the guide. I have it hooked up to a bedroom tv (13") and the small size lets it sit right on top. It does have a wall wart. BTW the digital signal looks quite nice. Makes non-hd channels bearable.
Not sure when the roll out is going to happen, but most issues have been taken care of. The FFWD skip fuction does not work. That's the one a number of us have programmed ourselves. But I was told it will be avail on the nest software release.
VidEditor

I assume it has active firewire out as required by the FCC?

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #413 of 1953 Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM

STAR56,
The new 3412 box has firewire, the small DCT700 is just a digital tuner with composite video out or RF out. As far as the firewire connections...

The FCC required port will be active (CFR Section 76.640). Using the MPEG2 video format. The Firewire port of the Motorola boxes will work if:

- It has to be connected to a device that supports an MPEG2 video stream!!!
- If the content is NOT copy protected, the device DOES NOT have to support 5C copy protection in order to receive the video
- If the content IS copy protected, the device DOES have to support 5C copy protection in order to receive the video

Hope this helps out all those trying to hook up dated dvd-r & camcorders,
VidEditor
post #414 of 1953 Old 06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

STAR56,
The new 3412 box has firewire, the small DCT700 is just a digital tuner with composite video out or RF out. As far as the firewire connections...

The FCC required port will be active (CFR Section 76.640). Using the MPEG2 video format. The Firewire port of the Motorola boxes will work if:

- It has to be connected to a device that supports an MPEG2 video stream!!!
- If the content is NOT copy protected, the device DOES NOT have to support 5C copy protection in order to receive the video
- If the content IS copy protected, the device DOES have to support 5C copy protection in order to receive the video

Hope this helps out all those trying to hook up dated dvd-r & camcorders,
VidEditor

Thanks VidEditor! I have my DVHS machines connected to my two Moto boxes. Couldn't live without them

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #415 of 1953 Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Thanks VidEditor! I have my DVHS machines connected to my two Moto boxes. Couldn't live without them

What? No DVR??? Or do you archive alot?
VE
post #416 of 1953 Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What? No DVR??? Or do you archive alot?
VE

I am MR. Archive

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #417 of 1953 Old 06-20-2006, 08:55 AM

Guys... just read this in one of my trade magazines. FYI
VidEditor

Samsung likely to beat others to U.S. market with Blu-ray disc player
Jun 20, 2006 12:33 PM

Retail availability of the first Blu-ray disc player in the United States is scheduled for June 25, according to an announcement last week from Samsung Electronics America.

Shipments to retailers of the BD-P1000 Blu-ray disc player have already begun. The commercial availability will come on the heels of Sony's announced delivery of the first seven movie titles available on Blu-ray Disc.

Sony announced last week that 50 First Dates," "The Fifth Element," "Hitch" and the "House of Flying Daggers" will be available June 20 in the Blu-ray format. LionsGate Pictures is also expected to release Blu-ray content in June.

The Samsung BD-P1000 plays Blu-ray software titles at native 1080p and offers HDMI output for films digitally mastered in 1920 x 1080p. The BD-P1000 also up-converts conventional DVDs to 1080p through the HDMI digital interface.
post #418 of 1953 Old 06-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Just read a press release about Buckeye adding Food Network HD on June 30th.
post #419 of 1953 Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothemath View Post

Just read a press release about Buckeye adding Food Network HD on June 30th.

Buckeye has, what may be, the most extensive HD lineup available on any cable system. This is great news!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #420 of 1953 Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

It's true Star56. I have been quite happy with Buckeye. However, I just moved out to an area only covered by adelphia. They don't have very many HD channels. The channels they do have look quite nice for the short time I have been viewing them. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on whether they were going to get some more channels soon? They don't have a fox-hd, and they don't have Discover HD. They have HBO, SHO, Stars, Cinemax, INHD, INHD2, HDNET and HDNET Movies, ESPN HD, and NBC, PBS, and ABC. No Fox or CBS. No HGTV or food network HD. I'd be completely content if they just got fox and CBS and Discover HD. Anyone else here have adelphia?

Thanks,
Mark

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page