Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1952 Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you folks up in toledo are lucky to have competing cable networks. Down here in Findlay its monopolized by Time Warner. We have the lowest HD channel count by far. Seeing as they no have no competing Cable Co here, they have no reason to add anything. Heck they dont even have a contract with FSN Detroit so I can enjoy my Red Wing hockey And we dont even get NFL HD, so I get to miss the 2 primetime games this year on Dec 21 and Dec 23 (and i know sat networks are an option, but im discussing cable here)

On another note, why is it that on the OTA channels, the info is always 3 hours behind? For example, if your watching WTOL 11 or Fox36 its 9:15am, but the info window displays 6:15am. It never ever updates or corrects either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1952 Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 AM

well watching FOX 36 WUPW at first i was like "come on turn on hd!" then they did, and now its back to SD. WTF is goin on there? It never fails when you wanna watch a game in HD that someone or something has to be screwed up. So what gives? I was so lookin forward to Lions in HD but wtf?
post #453 of 1952 Old 09-25-2006, 10:14 PM

Heyas folks, I was wondering if anyone in the UT area has recommendations for indoor antennas
post #454 of 1952 Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 AM

Have heard good things about this DB2.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB2_Indoor_antenna.html

Also you might want to go to Antennaweb.org there you can see where the towers are and disistance.
post #455 of 1952 Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 AM

I was able to pull in all the local channels using a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. Just have to aim it a little south-east and you should be fine. I lived behind engineering for a couple years and used that with no problems.
post #456 of 1952 Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 AM

On another note, anyone who is interested in the series 3 Tivo and uses Buckeye Cable, I have to say that they were actually pretty accommodating of the install. They gave me trouble with getting 2 cablecards (they did have to come out and do the install though). The tech ran into some problems, called in, and was transferred to the head of the install department who had just gotten a series 3 in the office and walked him through what needed to be done.
post #457 of 1952 Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 AM

Nate
I would like to hear more about the series 3 and Buckeye.

How much for the card?
What level do you need to get HD?
Are you using a combo OTA HD and Cable just to round off the choices?
post #458 of 1952 Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 AM

Each card is $3.35/month I believe. I also had to pay a $100 installation fee, which was pretty ridiculous as all they do is put the cards in and call the office to register your device. You can get the local HD channels with any package I believe. I upgraded from the basic (2-70) package to include all of the HD channels (except the premium ones). While the series 3 is supposed to tune OTA very well, I'm just pulling everything from Buckeye at the moment. I am pretty impressed with the quality; it is a lot better than the last time I tried to tune the local channels from them.

All in all, it was a pretty smooth transaction and I'm loving the content on some of the "pay" HD channels out there. I just wish the S3 had a bigger hard drive (or they enabled the external SATA port).
post #459 of 1952 Old 09-26-2006, 07:54 PM

Guys, here is some info from one of my trade magazines, thought you'd be interested.
VidEd

Beyond the HD disc format wars

Alan Bell and Lewis Ostrover, engineers at Warner Bros., have filed for a patent for a triple-standard disc that holds Blu-ray, HD-DVD and DVD data on a single disc.

NewScientist.com reported last week that Warner Bros. plans to create a disc with a special Blu-ray layer on top and an HD-DVD layer below. Both formats use the same blue laser, but to allow either the Blu-ray or the HD-DVD layer to be read on the Warner Bros. disc, the top layer will act like a two-way mirror. That way, sufficient light can penetrate the Blu-ray layer to read data on the HD-DVD layer without the former interfering with the process.

The disc is designed to accommodate standard DVD recording on the other side.
post #460 of 1952 Old 10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else mad because Ohio State/Bowling Green game is PPV? That's a bunch of crapola.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #461 of 1952 Old 10-08-2006, 01:14 PM

yea i was miffed about it too. Thankfully time warner here in findlay carried it. But on another note, im gettin pretty disgusted with FOX36 toledo. 2 for 5 now on the crapped out HD feeds of the Lions games. Wonder what it takes to get a full game without HD dropouts or gettin switched to another game right in the middle of one. Ya pay for premium service and priviliges of HD only to never have a game without atleast one hitch. This future technology is pissing me off, you think they'd have the bugs work out by now.
post #462 of 1952 Old 10-08-2006, 01:18 PM

and now the dallas/philly game is on Fox, still seein a crappy 4:3 SD feed. Simply ridiculous.
post #463 of 1952 Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

NIVO, what do you mean they carried it? Did you have to pay for it? I did, and by halftime, it was a blow out (which I expected) so I went fishing...

post #464 of 1952 Old 10-08-2006, 03:43 PM

There must have been a network technical problem with the Dallas/Philly game as it was in SD until the 3rd period - then all of a sudden no signal for a few minutes , then a color bar test pattern, THEN all of a sudden HD. Makes me think that is why the Lions game was SD. I watch Fox via digital Ch 2.1 Detroit.
post #465 of 1952 Old 10-08-2006, 05:40 PM

I'm in the Defiance area and we recently were merged into Time Warner's subscriber pool. I must say the number of HD channels offered by them is pretty embarrassing. We get:

Toledo NBC
Toledo ABC
Toledo PBS
ESPN HD
HD Movies
HDNet
2 In demand stations

We dont even get Discovery HD! How can we convince TWC to carry more stations? Stuff like this feels like they're pushing us to satellite
post #466 of 1952 Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM

It seems WUPW always has some sort of issue that never seems to get resolved because of the Fox network...
post #467 of 1952 Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM

Marky_Mark86 Im not sure how we got it, usually one of those "shake hands" kinda deals I suppose with a local station to offer the feed. Yes it was a blowout(im surprised "Mr. Conservative" Tressel let em score that much. Never understood why he shuts it down when they get 21-28 points. Other schools will run it up on ya no matter who you are. The only thing the bucks lack is that KILLER instinct.

Supernoma, I couldnt say why you dont have Discovery HD, but its a great channel. I am seeing that FSN Ohio is now broadcasting Jackets games in HD starting tonight. I only have the HD pack(dont have the sports pack). Can anyone on Time Warner in Findlay or near here confirm if they are gonna carry FSN Ohio HD or not? Yes I agree the HD channels they carry is a joke at the amount we get. The most horrific thing about this is that if you dont have a competing cable co in your area, its doubtful you'll see more HD channels at all. TW is a monopoly here in Findlay. I cant stand it either, but not much we can do, the only option is satellite(and for what i want the cost is more than what i pay now). So they really do have us by the cojones. Reading at the broadband forums(DSL reports) they have proven and stated that if their is no competition in the affected area, they wont upgrade the Roadrunner speed to 10mb line speed. Those markets are only upgraded if Verizon or another offering has speeds of more than 15mb lines, in order for them to compete. So I think that holds true for HD channels as well. If we have no competition here, they arent in a hurry to give us more bang for the buck. It leaves a sick feeling in your stomach I know, but not much we can do except complain on deaf ears at the cable co.
post #468 of 1952 Old 10-09-2006, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Supernoma,
Were you an adelphia or comcast customer that has been bought out by TW? I am a adelphia customer outside bowling green, and I have the same predicament. I'm debating an antenna, and satellite, but I'm hoping TWC does something and improves upon the pathetic adelphia offerings.

Nivo,

I had TWC when I lived in South Carolina, and they were a monopoly there as well, but they didn't short change their customers. We had great HD, great internet, and great phone. I'm hoping that TWC taking over adelphia will lead to better service for our area. I'll give them a year.

Mark

post #469 of 1952 Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 PM

Defiance was an Adelphia city. I never bothered to check what our HD offerings were then, but I'm guessing it was the same. I think I will get the HD box and just watch the 4-5 stations I get with my existing cable. The only thing worse then TWC is living in the middle of the woods, making satellite out of the question.

I would say go Satellite w/ an antenna if you want the most HD.
post #470 of 1952 Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernoma View Post

Defiance was an Adelphia city. I never bothered to check what our HD offerings were then, but I'm guessing it was the same. I think I will get the HD box and just watch the 4-5 stations I get with my existing cable. The only thing worse then TWC is living in the middle of the woods, making satellite out of the question.

I would say go Satellite w/ an antenna if you want the most HD.

Well, like I said, in South Carolina, TWC was very good, and continually added new HD stations. I think we can blame Adelphia for the situation we are in right now, and I fully expect TWC to upgrade our package as soon as they can get the fiber and the rest of the infrastructure that they aquired from adelphia upgraded
to handle the increased bandwidth. At least that's what I'm hoping. I couldn't believe that adelphia wasn't offering Discovery HD either. I thought every cable company in america offered at least that. They suck. Good riddance.

Mark

post #471 of 1952 Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

Anyone else mad because Ohio State/Bowling Green game is PPV? That's a bunch of crapola.

I thought the game was on 13...

I was out of town though so I may be incorrect...
post #472 of 1952 Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

I thought the game was on 13...

I was out of town though so I may be incorrect...

I don't think so trabbic. I looked all over for it. Unless it was mislabeled in the guide. I never looked again after the game came on though. I paid the 21 dollars for it.

Mark

post #473 of 1952 Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM

Have you guys seen this?

(Multichannel News) _ DirecTV will add 25 more local HD markets in the fourth quarter, bringing its total to 67, or approximately 74% of U.S. TV households, by year-end.

The direct-broadcast satellite provider will add local HD broadcast networks in: Albuquerque, N.M.; Buffalo, N.Y.; Des Moines, Iowa; Flint and Grand Rapids, Mich.; Fort Myers and Jacksonville, Fla.; Green Bay and Madison, Wis.; Greensboro, N.C.; Greenville, S.C.; Harrisburg, Pa.; Little Rock, Ark.; Mobile, Ala.; New Orleans; Norfolk, Va.; Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Okla.; Portland, Maine; Providence, R.I.; Reno, Nev.; Santa Barbara, Calif.; Spokane, Wash.; Springfield, Mo.; and Toledo, Ohio.

http://www.ibcnews.com/articles/view...e.jsp?id=73078
post #474 of 1952 Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

that's great schwa73. That will almost certainly drive me to DirecTV if TWC doesn't do something as far as HD is concerned for us post-Adelphia customers by then.

post #475 of 1952 Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Does anyone know know if Buckeye has any clear channels that can be picked up witha QAM tv?
post #476 of 1952 Old 10-18-2006, 09:12 PM

you should be able to get any local HD channels free with out any additional equipment
post #477 of 1952 Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 AM

Yep, all of the locals are available if you have a QAM-capable tuner.
post #478 of 1952 Old 11-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Does anyone know if the Moto 6412 can output both the HDMI/DVI and Component outputs at the same time? I'm thinking about making a cable run to a TV upstairs, and this would save me having to get a switcher/distribution amp.

Thanks!
post #479 of 1952 Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 PM

HDTV newbie here. I'm in Sylvania and also a Buckeye/Blade employee (one of the few not locked out)

Anyways, I'm getting NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and WGTE from just the regular cable from the wall to the TV. I just subscribe to the "lifeline" service, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any stations I could be getting. Thanks...
post #480 of 1952 Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I live in Bowling Green. Does anyone know when Time Warner is going to get their act together regarding ABC and Fox HD? I can get so few HD channels I don't even know if it's worth it to get a HDTV yet.

HDTV Update and Over-the-Air Broadcast Information

As a Time Warner Cable High Definition customer, we are pleased to provide you with one of the best HD lineups available, with up to 15 channels offering the best in movies, sports and entertainment.

Our lineup includes HD channels for most of the local broadcast affiliates in our area. As you may know, Sinclair Broadcast Group has not given Time Warner Cable permission to carry the local ABC and Fox HD signals, though negotiations are continuing.

We do understand and share your interest in seeing these channels added to our HD lineup. Our goal is to obtain permission to carry ABC and FOX HD programming without any additional cost to our customers. The other commercial broadcasters provide us with their HD programming at no additional charge, and likewise, we do not charge our HD customers for HD programming from commercial broadcasters. We've invested heavily in the equipment and infrastructure to deliver HD programming, and our customers have invested thousands of dollars in consumer electronics equipment to be able to watch HD programming. We continue to negotiate with this in mind.

In the meantime, we want to make you aware of an option available to you. If you have an HD-integrated TV (built-in tuner/receiver) or own a separate HD tuner, you may be able to receive ABC and FOX HD programming over the air using an indoor HD antenna. There are many antenna options available to you, and you generally can find them at a variety of retail stores that sell electronics. Additional information about the use of an antenna to receive over-the-air HD broadcast signals is available on our Web site by clicking here. You also may contact us at 614.481.5050 or 1.800.617.4311.

Of course, you may still view all programming carried by ABC and Fox on our Standard Service lineup.

We appreciate your patience as negotiations continue with Sinclair Broadcast Group. Thank you once again for choosing Time Warner Cable as your cable provider.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page