Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1953 Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJones View Post

HDTV newbie here. I'm in Sylvania and also a Buckeye/Blade employee (one of the few not locked out)

Anyways, I'm getting NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and WGTE from just the regular cable from the wall to the TV. I just subscribe to the "lifeline" service, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any stations I could be getting. Thanks...

You should also be able to get the WT05 CW. Here is a link to a pdf file that shows the digital and HD locals available without a converter/cable card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1953 Old 11-03-2006, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I live in Bowling Green. Does anyone know when Time Warner is going to get their act together regarding ABC and Fox HD? I can get so few HD channels I don't even know if it's worth it to get a HDTV yet.

HDTV Update and Over-the-Air Broadcast Information

As a Time Warner Cable High Definition customer, we are pleased to provide you with one of the best HD lineups available, with up to 15 channels offering the best in movies, sports and entertainment.

Our lineup includes HD channels for most of the local broadcast affiliates in our area. As you may know, Sinclair Broadcast Group has not given Time Warner Cable permission to carry the local ABC and Fox HD signals, though negotiations are continuing.

We do understand and share your interest in seeing these channels added to our HD lineup. Our goal is to obtain permission to carry ABC and FOX HD programming without any additional cost to our customers. The other commercial broadcasters provide us with their HD programming at no additional charge, and likewise, we do not charge our HD customers for HD programming from commercial broadcasters. We've invested heavily in the equipment and infrastructure to deliver HD programming, and our customers have invested thousands of dollars in consumer electronics equipment to be able to watch HD programming. We continue to negotiate with this in mind.

In the meantime, we want to make you aware of an option available to you. If you have an HD-integrated TV (built-in tuner/receiver) or own a separate HD tuner, you may be able to receive ABC and FOX HD programming over the air using an indoor HD antenna. There are many antenna options available to you, and you generally can find them at a variety of retail stores that sell electronics. Additional information about the use of an antenna to receive over-the-air HD broadcast signals is available on our Web site by clicking here. You also may contact us at 614.481.5050 or 1.800.617.4311.

Of course, you may still view all programming carried by ABC and Fox on our Standard Service lineup.

We appreciate your patience as negotiations continue with Sinclair Broadcast Group. Thank you once again for choosing Time Warner Cable as your cable provider.

Maybe something will happen as far as ABC is concerned soon, because TWC has taken over our Adelphia service, and we are still getting our ABC HD feed. We don't have Fox, and we don't have a lot of the channels offered by TWC in BG. I'm hoping soon they will give us the same service that is available in BG. Maybe they'll be able to give you ABC at the same time they give us the rest of the channels...

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #483 of 1953 Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cage View Post

You should also be able to get the WT05 CW. Here is a link to a pdf file that shows the digital and HD locals available without a converter/cable card.

thanks man. Numbers look way different than what I've been keying in, have to check it out
post #484 of 1953 Old 11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I have question for anyone here using a TV with a QAM tuner and Time Warner Cable. I will be getting a HDTV on black friday and I was wondering if anyone is able to pick up some of the digital channels in the clear such as TNT, SportsTime Ohio, FSN Cavs games or other channels besides the locals, or will I have to get a cable box for those channels? Thanks.
post #485 of 1953 Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 PM

Hello all. I'm completely new to this, so I apoligize for my ignorance. I was also looking at getting a HDTV on black friday, like the poster above me and was wondering (since we are all from the same area) if anyone sees one that is the best deal. I plan on using it for OVA, video games, and as a computer monitor.

I live in BG (moving to waterville soon) and was under the impression that you could get HD channels for the locals (11, 13, 24, 36) with only a tv with an built in HD reciever and some rabbit ears. Is that correct?

Thank you.
post #486 of 1953 Old 11-20-2006, 03:33 PM

I do not know about rabbit ears.
Yes Over the air (OTA) HD is the best. I would reccommend you go to

www.antennaweb.org

Put in your address and it will show you how far away and in which direction the towers are. It will also recommend by color code what type of antenna you will need.
post #487 of 1953 Old 11-20-2006, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Ok, it's that time of the season.

Please check the first post out and post here with any corrections or additions, thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #488 of 1953 Old 11-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Rumor has it, due to recent changes in FCC rules, Fox Toledo will be shutting off the 36-2 channel that has the radar on it... Anyone else hear this too?

It is a bummer since you didn't have to wait for commercials and other stuff to go by until the radar comes up like on other channels.. IT was simply always on...
post #489 of 1953 Old 11-22-2006, 08:20 AM

I know the vast majority on this forum are Buckeye users, but just in case.
Has anyone else had problems with CBS over the air.

I have lost 11 through my D* 10-250.
I have a strong signal for all the rest of my Toledo stations and CBS is usually my strongest. I know they have screwed up their PSIP(?) before so I thought I would check with anyone using OTA.

Thanks
post #490 of 1953 Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashIV View Post

Does anyone know know if Buckeye has any clear HD channels that can be picked up with a QAM tv?

Anyone?
post #491 of 1953 Old 11-23-2006, 05:35 AM

yes on cbs hd ota. it was missing for about a day and came on again wednesday night.
post #492 of 1953 Old 11-23-2006, 07:18 AM

Thanks MudHen.
I got it back. I was worried about getting the Lions Game today.
post #493 of 1953 Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Anyone not getting Toledo 11 digital stations again?
post #494 of 1953 Old 11-26-2006, 09:18 AM

11 is out here too. I tried to call, can't even leave a message.
post #495 of 1953 Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Ah, that would explain why I'm getting 0% signal strength from here in Ann Arbor instead of the usual 90% percent
post #496 of 1953 Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up a Westinghouse with a clear QAM tuner and I was able to pick up all the locals in HD at my grandma's in Youngstown. I just hooked it up here to Time Warner in BG and the only digitals I'm getting is Boomerang and a few TWC PPV preview channels. I've went through every digital channel and can't find the locals, can anyone help? I thought they were required by law to broadcast the locals in the clear?
post #497 of 1953 Old 11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, can anyone in the BG area confirm or deny whether we get the digital Fox and ABC channels? On the TWC website it says that we don't get ABC and FOX because of the Sinclair thing, but on my regular cable box it shows the listing for both the FOX and ABC digital channels on the channel guide, what gives?
post #498 of 1953 Old 11-27-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor69 View Post

Anyone not getting Toledo 11 digital stations again?

yes again on channel 11 yesterday afternoon. the only browns' game in hd so far because they're so bad and we can't get it. 11 came back on shortly after the game ended. big deal.
post #499 of 1953 Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvann View Post

Ah, that would explain why I'm getting 0% signal strength from here in Ann Arbor instead of the usual 90% percent

Brian
What antenna are you using to get such a strong signal down in Toledo?

I am in Monroe county and get Toledo OK, but would love to get a steady, strong signal from Detroit.

StinDaWg
Sorry I am D* customer in Michigan, can't hep.
post #500 of 1953 Old 11-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Fox Toledo had no HD on Sunday 11/26. It appears the device that makes network HD possible had a problem. The engineers replaced in with a new one and the brand new unit died on them!!! They are making repairs as I type this...
post #501 of 1953 Old 11-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentStater72 View Post

Brian
What antenna are you using to get such a strong signal down in Toledo?

I am in Monroe county and get Toledo OK, but would love to get a steady, strong signal from Detroit.

StinDaWg
Sorry I am D* customer in Michigan, can't hep.

I have the high-gain multidirectional DB8, and I swear by it. I get all the Toledo locals at around 90% which is more than enough for a steady clear picture. Once I even picked up a Cleveland station while scanning the channels, although that was a total fluke.
post #502 of 1953 Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV400 View Post

Fox Toledo had no HD on Sunday 11/26. It appears the device that makes network HD possible had a problem. The engineers replaced in with a new one and the brand new unit died on them!!! They are making repairs as I type this...

I was wondering why the Falcons-Saints game wasn't in HD.. also the CBS Digital was down so I missed the Browns-Bengals game in HD also. I did catch some of the Sunday night game on NBC in HD though.
post #503 of 1953 Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Last night Prison Break was in FOX HD so I guess they got it fixed. I was wondering what was going on so I spoke to one of the engineers at WUPW and they said they got the broken equipment repaced today. WUPW also said that several cooling fans were out in the HD switcher gizmo which is what prompted them to replace it with a new one in the first place. I also found out that WUPW NEVER brings the network HD signal into the TV station. Rather, the FOX network HD signal gets passed directly out to us, which is why it looks so clean for 720!
post #504 of 1953 Old 11-28-2006, 04:14 PM

I live in Perrysburg. What is the best cable alternative to Buckeye?

Thanks
post #505 of 1953 Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM

Well if you live in an area that has Buckeye, your only other choice would be Time Warner (which just purchased the Adelphia area that overlaps with buckeye) I'm not sure if its considered Adelphia at this point or has changed to Time Warner. There isn't much are that is overlapped by both companies.
post #506 of 1953 Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Hello, I have a question about local HD channels broadcast through Buckeye's cable lines. I have recently acquired a Samsung SIR-T451 and was wondering if it would be better to just do OTA or get the channels through the cable line? I don't live to far from downtown so I figure a $30+ pre-amped antenna should do the trick to get good reception of OTA in the area.

Also I found that with OTA I get normal channel numbers, such as 11,13,24. But when I use the cable line those channels are all over on channels 84-125 or so.

Anyway, what would be my best bet and would anyone have a channel listing for the stations broadcast through Buckeye's line? I downloaded the PDF from Buckeye for the HD-No Box list but those channels don't match up.

Thanks for any help. Everyone is a noob at some point right?
post #507 of 1953 Old 11-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin View Post

Hello, I have a question about local HD channels broadcast through Buckeye's cable lines. I have recently acquired a Samsung SIR-T451 and was wondering if it would be better to just do OTA or get the channels through the cable line? I don't live to far from downtown so I figure a $30+ pre-amped antenna should do the trick to get good reception of OTA in the area.

Also I found that with OTA I get normal channel numbers, such as 11,13,24. But when I use the cable line those channels are all over on channels 84-125 or so.

Anyway, what would be my best bet and would anyone have a channel listing for the stations broadcast through Buckeye's line? I downloaded the PDF from Buckeye for the HD-No Box list but those channels don't match up.

Thanks for any help. Everyone is a noob at some point right?

I do not believe you will even need the amp as you are not far from most of the DTV transmitters. The TV transmitter sites for 11, 13, 24, 36, 30 are ALL in Oregon at 1000+ feet up so, the amp might be a waste depending on the type of antenna you buy. Remember, amps "gain" up everything! including noise so take that into consideration as downtown Toledo has a TON of RF floating around..
post #508 of 1953 Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM

I use a small Sensar that I got free when VoOm was around. It works great from Bedford Township.
I have a friend in Sylvania that picks up Hd off his rabbit ears.

As far as Buckeye Vs. OTA, if all you want is local HD TV then their is no reason to pay for what you can have for free. The quality of OTA is at least as good as cable (any cable, or Satellite for that matter).

MV400 is right about the amp. I might suggest you look at the DB2 antenna.
post #509 of 1953 Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Hello people,
i was told this is the best place for all AV advice so ive been lurking in the backgrounds looking for legit information and havent been let down. so i thank you to all who have helped others which in turn helped me.

now, ive got a olevia 537h with an antenna thats from radioshack. works pretty good picks up 11s digital 13s digital and hd 30s hd and 36s hd and dv...but doenst pick up 24s digital which is my favorite station. I went to antennaweb and saw that all of the above channels seem to be quite close together except 24s compass orientation is a degree or two more than the others, only a mile further from the farthest station id like to recieve, and its frequency assignment is 4 numbers higher than fox 36...ive moved my antenna around which is indoor to no avail. i tried to just push the channel into the remote but does nothing...
any help would be so kind.
thanks in advance and keep up the good work.
post #510 of 1953 Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM

allahandro

Where are you? (Not specific, but zip), How far?

What antenna are you using? w/wout amp?

How high is the antenna?

I had trouble with 24 for awhile but adjusted the small sensar antenna I have to point right at the tower(used antennaweb also) and for some reason when I tilted the antenna higher in the horizon BINGO it worked.

I am 11 miles from the tower.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page