Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1952 Old 02-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I just put it on Fox, they are showing a picture of downtown Toledo? Went to watch American Idol DVR and it didn't tape.

all of downtown Toledo lost power. Got in touch with one of the engineers. The folks at Fox had a rough night. The emergency generator started, and promply caught fire forcing all to evacuate the building leaving them in the cold and in the dark. They (Fox) don't own the generator, rather the building they are in owns it. Guess we all got hosed on idols...

Thus far no word on a re-broadcast of tonights show, but I was told they were going to try and see if they can do that.. I even heard from my brother that channel 13 mentioned it on air, that Idol's could not be seen because of a failure of all power in the dowtown Toledo area...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1952 Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Fox WILL be airing the missing Idols and House, but it will not be in HD.
post #633 of 1952 Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you know when they are re-airing?

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #634 of 1952 Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Fox Toledo made good !!! Acording to www.foxtoledo.com last nights missed Idols episode will air tonight 2/14/07 at 7pm.
post #635 of 1952 Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 133
What's up with NBC 24 killing all of their HD broadcasts with their school cancellation ticker? Can't they figure out a way to do it without ruining the picture? First Leno now Friday Night Lights in SD.
post #636 of 1952 Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 PM

NBC 24 is the worst. They have that huge frame for the cancellations. I've emailed a complaint and suggest everyone here do the same. I explained to them that anytime I plan to watch NBC and they are doing that, I promptly switch to whatever is on 13 ABC since they put the scroll on top of the HD picture.
post #637 of 1952 Old 02-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:

What's up with NBC 24 killing all of their HD broadcasts with their school cancellation ticker? Can't they figure out a way to do it without ruining the picture? First Leno now Friday Night Lights in SD.

Guys... the local stations internally are not HD, they just pass the network HD to their transmitters. SO any "breaking news", "school cancellations" type crawls are still done with SD equipment. They have no switching/keying setups that allow them to operate a master control in HD like they do SD programming. Thus the switch to SD/crawls on the HD channels. Be patient... one day at a time, they are getting there. Remember TV is a business and the owners did not want to fork over the cash to even transmit network HD in the first place, let alone convert their internal programming (news) to HD.

VidEditor
post #638 of 1952 Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by videditor View Post

Guys... the local stations internally are not HD, they just pass the network HD to their transmitters. SO any "breaking news", "school cancellations" type crawls are still done with SD equipment. They have no switching/keying setups that allow them to operate a master control in HD like they do SD programming. Thus the switch to SD/crawls on the HD channels. Be patient... one day at a time, they are getting there. Remember TV is a business and the owners did not want to fork over the cash to even transmit network HD in the first place, let alone convert their internal programming (news) to HD.

VidEditor

On ABC they are able to do weather scrollings and county maps right over the HD feed...
post #639 of 1952 Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Here is some info on the Pace boxes that Buckeye is testing:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=659367
post #640 of 1952 Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:

On ABC they are able to do weather scrollings and county maps right over the HD feed...

Was it an actual HD signal or just the 4x3 SD feed on the HD channel? If over an actual HD program, then maybe TVG upconverted thier CG. Any crawls I have seen the past few days have been under a 4x3 SD signal- though on the HD channel.
VidEditor
post #641 of 1952 Old 02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
As long as any HD box Buckeye chooses has an active firewire port...I will be happy. I've been a devoted Buckeye HD supporter from the start....great PQ with minimal compression applied.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #642 of 1952 Old 02-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Was it an actual HD signal or just the 4x3 SD feed on the HD channel? If over an actual HD program, then maybe TVG upconverted thier CG. Any crawls I have seen the past few days have been under a 4x3 SD signal- though on the HD channel.
VidEditor

Yes, I have watched a few programs that have the actual HD signal with the scroll along the bottom on 13 ABC. I have also seen them place the map over the HD feed as well.
post #643 of 1952 Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Videditor, they did it over quite a few HD shows. Pretty much every morning over Good Morning America in HD as well.

post #644 of 1952 Old 02-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

Videditor, they did it over quite a few HD shows. Pretty much every morning over Good Morning America in HD as well.

I'll have to check it out - Thanks for the update guys... They must be upconverting the graphics. The only other thing I can think of for the SD signal to be happening (on purpose) would be a live cut-in (on camera anchors/live reports) since no one in Toledo is doing HD newscasts. Not sure I want to see local news in HD.
VE
post #645 of 1952 Old 02-20-2007, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not sure I want to see local news in HD.VE

I know what you mean! Be careful what you ask for!
post #646 of 1952 Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

As long as any HD box Buckeye chooses has an active firewire port...I will be happy. I've been a devoted Buckeye HD supporter from the start....great PQ with minimal compression applied.

It is active and works on the pace box.
post #647 of 1952 Old 02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

It is active and works on the pace box.

Excellent news! Thanks for the information!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #648 of 1952 Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM

Gack ! Fox's HD broadcast is poopie !
I'm watching some redneck racing in SD!
Is Fox the least reliabe HD signal(over the air) or what !?
post #649 of 1952 Old 02-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Buckeye told me they don't have ANY HD boxes left. BOO!!! Awaiting a shipment from Motorolla? I was told they only have HD DVR boxes right now. I'm not interested in one though. Damn. I may go with D* in the fall anyway 'cuz of Sunday NFL Ticket.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #650 of 1952 Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketknight73 View Post

Buckeye told me they don't have ANY HD boxes left. BOO!!! Awaiting a shipment from Motorolla? I was told they only have HD DVR boxes right now. I'm not interested in one though. Damn. I may go with D* in the fall anyway 'cuz of Sunday NFL Ticket.

I have no affiliation with Buckeye (other than customer) but I would steer as far away from Direct TV as possible if you care about HD PQ. Have you ever compared D* PQ to Buckeye HD? Yikes! D* is overcompressed and looks absolutely nasty on an HDTV of any size. Buckeye provides the best HD PQ I have seen short of optical HD.

Also...why not get a DVR box? It makes HD viewing so much more enjoyable.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #651 of 1952 Old 02-25-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I agree with Star56. I used to have Buckeye, and then moved to TWC/Adelphia area, and I can tell you, Buckeye blows them away both in PQ and in number of HD channels. Get a DVR. They are addictive. I hate watching anything without my DVR.

post #652 of 1952 Old 03-03-2007, 04:54 PM

1st post - hi all! New Magnavox 37mf231d (Target rain check) - hoping to save money by picking up the local stations' HD through QAM tuner - thought BCS list of "Local HD Channel Line-up Without Digital Converter or Cablecard" channels in range of 124.1 to 127.6 might give me the 6 local HD channels they show. No such luck, however - the autosearch (bypassing the set-top box) did bring me 24.1 as WNWO HD and 30.1 PBS HD and a few assorted digital channels I wasn't getting through my Basic/Family package in addition to all the "regular" channels.

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to my misunderstandings and expectations.
post #653 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 AM

toledodelot - same issues as you. I'm on an Olevia TV, on the internal tuner, it fund 378 digital channels and 74 analog channels. Instead of getting the channels on the listings they give, I get a corrupted signal on the actual broadcast locations (11.1, 13.1, 13.2, 24.1, 24.2, 24.3, 36.1, etc). The video macro blocks and drops/garbles audio. The odd thing is I get their PPV promo channels perfectly in HD. Haven't done any research yet to figure out what is going on. Want to be sure my TV should actually be able to get the channels off cable before I go fussing.

Meantime, the OTA signals are nice and strong and crisp and clean. All the OTA signals are good picture quality and reliable for me, be it Fox, CBS, ABC or NBC.

Edit - supposedly my TV has an "unsupported" QAM tuner - which translates to the mfr only designed it to get the ATSC or NTSC signals, but it might get some cable signals. Oh well. it was cheap.
post #654 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I tried it just for kicks on my Pioneer 6070 which does have a QAM tuner in it, and I couldn't get much. I didn't get many digital channels, and only one of the local HD channels. Seemed like I got the audio for many of the music channels on some weird numbered channels. Didn't work like I hoped to see it. BTW, I'm on TWC out of Waterville.

post #655 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences, guys. I too got the 378 digital and 74 analog results - ran through the search a few times in hopes it would find a few more - the other local HDs. To lengthen my story I'm in SW Cleveland suburb (with TWC) - the Toledo TV was a gift to my folks this weekend - spent a couple days there making sure it worked and hoping for more HD for them. They and I were pleased with the picture quality of all the regular channels through the cable - but just nothing like HD. Rather than imposing a higher bill on them for converter box and HD package I might try one of those small outdoor antennas that can attach to the side of the house on my next trip to Toledo. (Tried an indoor and picked up most local stations and their HD signals - but just not strong enough - first experience with extensive pixellation was a little unsettling). Would also need to have regular cable box then - to use the composite input and leave RF input for the outdoor antenna.

Would love to hear any more experiences with QAM success or lack of.
post #656 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

About antennas, I have my ATSC tuner input connected to a cheap RCA set of rabbit ears. It's a VHF/UHF antenna with an internal booster amp. I think it has a 15dB gain. I'm out in the country west of Toledo between Waterville and Grand Rapids, and I can pick up all the local HD channels with it pretty well. Most of my signal strengths are between 65 and 75. I would like them to be a little higher, but they are pretty good, and better than I expected from a 20-30 dollar antenna. I'm 25 miles or so from the antenna towers. If they are closer than that, they may be able to use one of these just fine (if there are no buildings in the way). Have you looked at www.antennaweb.org for info on antennas?

Good luck,
Mark

post #657 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 AM

cadmonkey - just saw your edit - couple co-workers here in Cleveland with TWC have Olevia 32's and are watching HD on all local stations (and a couple others) after doing a channel search with cable out of the wall. Lucky them I guess. Wonder what the difference is between supported and unsupported.
post #658 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 AM

Yes, the OTAs aren't that strong on the indoor antennas I've tried. We started with a set top OTA box on our 50" projection HDTV monitor a few years ago and ended up with an old fashioned aerial on the roof - great results. With my house design you can't see the antenna unless you're 10 houses away, and then only in the winter due to the lack of vegetation. The indoor antennas we tried (amplified and non) all exhibited poor signal quality and drop outs.

I already have Buckeye for my internet so my cable bill is high enough, I don't really want to add a box or dvr on top of it but it is tempting. Looking at Buckeye's pricing, to go from the extended basic service (no boxes) that I have now to get the HD box would add $15 a month. Not worth it for just the OTA channels for me.
post #659 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledodelot View Post

cadmonkey - just saw your edit - couple co-workers here in Cleveland with TWC have Olevia 32's and are watching HD on all local stations (and a couple others) after doing a channel search with cable out of the wall. Lucky them I guess. Wonder what the difference is between supported and unsupported.

Hmm, that is interesting. The documentation I have is for both the 27 and 32 and the tuner info is the same - as long as their tv's are the 2 series. Wonder if TWC passes through the ATSC signal. When I last asked Buckeye they said they would not be doing that. They would only offer QAM or their box.
post #660 of 1952 Old 03-04-2007, 08:58 AM

Mark - thanks again. I'd been watching your forum here for a month or so and noticed the reference to antennaweb. On my trip to Toledo I took my printout showing most towers 16 to 18 miles away - about 90 to 98 degrees. They have a brick house and neighbor's close house kind of cuts into that direction. Antenna I tried was not amplified though - but I was heartened by the fact that the HD looked great for the brief moments it was coming in. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page