Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1955 Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa73 View Post

Like I've said before, the TWC HD offering is abysmal. It's been nearly a year since Time Warner took over from Adelphia. What new HD channels have they added since then? Fox and CBS? That's pathetic.

In any event, what kind of box did TWC give you? How is it connecting to your TV? With HDMI or DVI? Component?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the only box they have is the Moto 6412's. I've got 2 of the HD DVR's. One is connected with HDMI in the living room and the other is connected by component in the bedroom. Yeah, we're coming up on a year in August, and I've been pretty disappointed with the TWC Waterville offerings for HD out here. I am also disappointed that they haven't gotten their phone system working here yet as well. Although, now since Vonage has Tontogany numbers, I'll probably stick with them. Oh yeah, to answer your question, they have added CBS and Fox, but taken away one HD channel (INHD2) since it was cancelled. So all in all we've gained one HD channel in the last year. That's pretty pathetic. Oh I forgot ESPN2 HD, which never has any HD material on it.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1955 Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM

That sucks! I had all of those channels + Discovery HD, TNT HD, all the five netowrks in HD. This was a few years ago when I lived in B.G. near route 6.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #723 of 1955 Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketknight73 View Post

That sucks! I had all of those channels + Discovery HD, TNT HD, all the five netowrks in HD. This was a few years ago when I lived in B.G. near route 6.

As far as I know, Time Warner Waterville and Time Warner Bowling Green are completely different. The difference is due to TWC Waterville being a converted Adelphia entity. The Bowling Green company has been owned by Time Warner for several years.
post #724 of 1955 Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep schwa73, that's exactly right, and I'm hoping for more HD content before long.

post #725 of 1955 Old 07-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Living in Perrysburg, I'm able to choose between TWC or Buckeye, or one of the dishes.

And while a switch back to Buckeye seems like a no-brainer, I'll being paying for it. Getting the exact same (or as close as possible) setup as I have now will require an extra $14 a month with Buckeye. And to get their HD content, I'll need to pay an extra $27 on top of that.

It's the price you pay for better selection, I suppose.
post #726 of 1955 Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello Toledo HD viewers.

Please check the first post of this topic and post any corrections and additions. I will update the first post as a reference.

Thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #727 of 1955 Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Hello Toledo HD viewers.

Please check the first post of this topic and post any corrections and additions. I will update the first post as a reference.

Thanks.

Changes in RED

WTOL CBS 17 (11)
-1 CBS HD

WTVG ABC 19 (13)
-1 ABC HD
-2 ABC News Now (Now called: ABC TV Plus)
-3 WTVG Weather Now

WNWO NBC 49 (24)
-1 NBC HD
-2 The Tube music videos
-3 NBC Weather Plus

WGTE PBS 29 (30)
-1 PBS Digital/HD
-2 PBS Family
-3 PBS Create

WUPW FOX 46 (36)
-1 FOX HD

Buckeye Cablesystem HD lineup:

The CW HD [WT05]
CBS HD (11 Toledo) [WTOL]
ABC HD (13 Toledo) [WTVG]
NBC HD (24 Toledo) [WTOL]
PBS HD (30 Toledo) [WGTE]
FOX HD (36 Toledo) [WUPW]
TNT HD
NFL HD
Vs. HD
NBA HD
Discovery HD
ESPN HD
Sports Time Ohio HD
INHD Changed to MOJO
INHD2 (Eliminated)
Universal HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HGTV HD
Food Network HD
HBO HD
Cinemax HD
Starz HD
Showtime HD

Of course this will be changing very soon with buckeye adding:

ESPN2 HD, National Geographic HD, Fox Sports Ohio HD, Fox Sports Detroit HD, and also the Big Ten Network in HD. The timeline on this is unknown (although I hope they could get everything up by the start of College football season).
post #728 of 1955 Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM

I just checked Big Ten Network's website and they confirm that Buckeye is getting BTN, and that it will be avliable starting prime time Aug 30th. No new info on NGHD, FSOHD, FSDHD or ESPN2HD, on any of their sites.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on ESPNU either? They offer some college football that I like, but buckeye does not carry it, I bet it is to be packaged with ESPN2 HD...
post #729 of 1955 Old 08-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Anyone here successfully get Buckeye Cable to waive or reduce the ridiculous $100 activation fee? Getting ready to head back to Toledo and I have to pay that $100 to get my TiVo HD S3 to work fully.

-VWebb
post #730 of 1955 Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

I just checked Big Ten Network's website and they confirm that Buckeye is getting BTN, and that it will be avliable starting prime time Aug 30th. No new info on NGHD, FSOHD, FSDHD or ESPN2HD, on any of their sites.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on ESPNU either? They offer some college football that I like, but buckeye does not carry it, I bet it is to be packaged with ESPN2 HD...

Trabbic,
I know BCS is REAL close to adding new HD channels, like you mentioned. I'd say some to most will be "on-air" by end of August. Can't say for sure, but ESPNU should be part of it. It was one of those contracts that went back & forth to the lawyers. ABC wants to either re-do everything for you to get one additional channel, or just re-do ESPN channels, but throw in the Toledo ABC affli. as a gotcha. Also over-heard someone saying that THE DUECE did not have that HD material on it this Spring/Summer. Cannot confirm that, obviously.
Anyway, ESPNU should be part of the package. I do freelance work for ESPN Regional and always found it funny that the Rockets always had "U" games. Think ABC was trying to get BCS subscribers to complain to BCS? Would not suprise me.
Seems BCS does a good job of holding out for a better price than being the first system to jump on a channel. My wallet thanks them for that. If I find something new out from my sources, I'll let you know.

VidEditor

PS. BCS was one of the first few to sign up with The Big Ten Network. That will be HD for sure. Thier problem will be who goes LIVE & who is tape delayed. Wonder if they will be getting any games from ABC (for the tape delay replays). I will be doing work for them also this Fall. Should be fun!
post #731 of 1955 Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Hey guys... here is some new info about BCS HD additions. More is coming but thought you would like to know some channel numbers.
VE

From Buckeye:

"The Big Ten Network will premier on August 30, 2007 on channel 67 and the HD feed will be on 645. Fox Sports Ohio will be available within the next couple of weeks, and will be on channel 30; the HD feed will be on 644."

ESPN 2, Fox Detroit, Fox Ohio, Big Ten Network, and National Geographic HDs will all air at the end of this month.
post #732 of 1955 Old 08-18-2007, 10:32 PM

I know this is kind of jumping the gun a bit, but I've been wondering how this will shake itself out in the end. When the conversion hits in early 2009, what will the effect be on our cable services, choices, and most importantly, our cable bill.

Assuming by that time that almost EVERYTHING will be broadcast in HD, are we going to have to pay extra for non-local HD content, as we are now?
Networks and cable channels will not be simultaneously broadcasting 480SD and 720+HD as they are now,(my understanding), so how will we be charged extra, other than having to get an HD box? Are we going to end up with cafeteria style packages that include groups of 10, 20, 30, or X number of HD channels with larger costs for larger packages?

I've got a bad feeling that in early 2009 my cable bill is going to be close to $100 just for the full HD content BEFORE premium channels, and if we don't get with the program, we'll be stuck with a "digital" box that will downgrade HD to 480 quality to watch on our 65" screens.

Is this the future of HD that we all looked forward to?
Any thoughts?
post #733 of 1955 Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It will be a long long time before everything or almost everything is in HD.

The 2009 mandate has nothing to do with HD.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #734 of 1955 Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM

As Buckeye adds to their HD lineup will they have to compress the channels? Or is there plenty of bandwidth available?

I've found Buckeye's HD feed to be almost as good as over the air and much better than the DirecTV I've seen.
post #735 of 1955 Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU FASTR View Post

As Buckeye adds to their HD lineup will they have to compress the channels? Or is there plenty of bandwidth available?

I've found Buckeye's HD feed to be almost as good as over the air and much better than the DirecTV I've seen.

Hopefully not! Buckeye DOES have the best HD PQ of any Sat or cable system I have seen! Great stuff. It would be a shame if they messed with it by added compression.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #736 of 1955 Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I'll check on this... but from what I understand BCS should have the bandwidth. When they put in the fiber they went the extra mile & added more bandwidth than other systems. I also know they are dropping some of the analog services for older analog boxes, recouping so of that bandwidth. I'll find out...
VidEditor
post #737 of 1955 Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM

the HD plus pak or the normal HD (free with box) package... I am guessing the Plus pak, but did not see that mentioned. Thanks
post #738 of 1955 Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 PM

Not sure... the HD chans may be a mix. I know TBN is going basic, so hopefully the HD is basic also. They are still doing some last minute contract signing. TBN channel should start Friday night (ftball preview). The others by mid-August...meaning beginning of Sept.??? I'll let you know when I find out. Still waiting on a reply about the bandwidth concern.
VE
post #739 of 1955 Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM

I guess it's official now! Channel change announcement from today's (Tues, 8/28) Blade:

HDTV Basic Pak New Channels:
FSN Detroit HD ch 643 effective 8/30/2007
FSN Ohio HD ch 644 effective 9/17/2007 (SD on ch 30)
Big Ten Network HD ch 645 effective 8/30/2007 (SD on ch 67)

HDTV Plus Pak New Channels:
National Geographic HD ch 649 effective 9/17/07
ESPN2 HD ch 652 effective 8/30/2007

Some other non-HD channels were added or moved as well.
post #740 of 1955 Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 PM

Not a big sports fan, but National Geographic and the occasional Pistons game on FSN Detroit will be very nice.
post #741 of 1955 Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Damn it. I hope D* follows suit with these channels because they are coming to install my HR20 and 5 LNB dish Saturday morning. I don't really want to switch but I had to so I can watch NFL Sunday Ticket.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #742 of 1955 Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 AM

Does anyone have an idea if/when Buckeye will offer VOD in HD?
post #743 of 1955 Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Ahh yes that would be nice... I wonder if there are tech/bandwidth issues with that though?
post #744 of 1955 Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Damn it. I hope D* follows suit with these channels because they are coming to install my HR20 and 5 LNB dish Saturday morning. I don't really want to switch but I had to so I can watch NFL Sunday Ticket.

I am in Lambertville and get FSNDetroit in HD with the HR20.

I also have the 5 LNB and have VOD (CE, which is a kinda BETA version)

Big Ten will be coming soon
post #745 of 1955 Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey rocketknight, what are you doing about local networks (SD and HD)? I am thinking seriously about switching to D* from TWC/Adelphia out here in Waterville's region due to the lack of HD available and the new HD D* is bringing on-line. I'm just concerned about the quality of the install and the reception of the local HD networks.

post #746 of 1955 Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Here's what I found out... By contract BCS has to carry an HD signal @ full bandwidth. SO no true compressing is allowed, however they can do some multiplexing of signals when they combine the HD channels into the fiber stream. They can use variable rate plexing so say a sports pgm with lots of info coming down the pipe gets more of the overall bandwidth than say a news progam. This way both pictures get the amount data stream it needs to look good. Like I said before, BCS built more bandwidth into their fiber build out than most cable systems were a few years back, so bandwidth should not be a problem according to my sources.
VE
post #747 of 1955 Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I highly doubt this will happen soon and even if... bet you it's compressed enough that video-geeks won't care for it. The SD stuff is so compressed, especially the freeby stuff. Least it looks that way... Problem would be more of a disc space issue...
post #748 of 1955 Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videditor View Post

Here's what I found out... By contract BCS has to carry an HD signal @ full bandwidth. SO no true compressing is allowed, however they can do some multiplexing of signals when they combine the HD channels into the fiber stream. They can use variable rate plexing so say a sports pgm with lots of info coming down the pipe gets more of the overall bandwidth than say a news progam. This way both pictures get the amount data stream it needs to look good. Like I said before, BCS built more bandwidth into their fiber build out than most cable systems were a few years back, so bandwidth should not be a problem according to my sources.
VE

VE,

Thanks for the terrific explanation. I am a serious, hardcore HD user. PQ is king for me. Satellite PQ is so bad that I would stick to BD and HDDVD if that was all that was available.

I tell eveyone that Buckeye HD is perhaps the finest cable PQ you can find in the country. Heck the BigTen HD 720P even looks very good on my projector.

As long as the maintain the HD PQ I will be a long time customer.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #749 of 1955 Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM

Hey guys,

Here is an article that I found where they quote Jim Brown, the director of engineering at Buckeye (Dated 5/7/2007):

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6439357.html

A good trade article about the problems that Cable companies will be facing, and a bunch of solutions.

Here are the quotes that are about Buckeye:

Quote:

The larger point: A slew of HD channels will arrive, eventually, and when they do, cable needs to be prepared. The biggest push is HD content right now, said Buckeye CableSystem director of engineering Jim Brown. That's a competitive thing, really.

Quote:

At Buckeye CableSystem, based in Toledo, Ohio, Brown said switched digital is the most likely candidate to help free up bandwidth to add more video-on-demand, HD and higher-speed data services. It's early for the operator, but Brown said he anticipated making the move within the next 12 to 18 months.

We don't have the plan fully developed yet, but depending on where we end up with this thing, we'll probably do a select group of channels that are not so highly viewed, he said. Of the 86 channels in Buckeye's digital tier, Brown said, around half will likely be candidates for switched digital video.

post #750 of 1955 Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 AM

What is "switched digital video" ? Why don't they poll their demographic and get rid of the unwatched channels? I know it's not that easy.. but it sounds that the increased bandwidth is going to be a problem already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page