post #811 of 1951 Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullwave2 View Post

This is from Buckeye Cables current Guide.

Ok, first post updated. Please reference it for new readers, thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1951 Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 AM

Liked: 10
Well I thought I would give those of you trying to help me with my HD static problem an update. It's been around 2 weeks and I have only had the HD channel changing to static a few times. The odd thing is that it has not happened exclusively on local channels as some of you figured was the case. I wasn't positive so I gave it some time so I could monitor it more closely. 2 Sunday's ago it happened on FOX while watching a football game but it happened this week on ESPN HD and NFL Network HD. Any thoughts?

For a refresher this is what happens: I am watching an HD station(doesn't seem to matter which one at this point), randomly the screen will change to static but my audio is still coming through like normal. Changing to another HD channel shows the same static. If I turn to a standard analog station(3, 7, 8, etc.) I will get my picture back. Then changing back to the HD channel will bring back the HD feed.

I will probably contact Buckeye about this and see what they say and hopefully talk to someone that can provide some kind of help(I've never had any luck with this in the past). It's not a constant thing so I'm not that worried about it but I still would like it to be fixed.
post #813 of 1951 Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBrowns View Post

Well I thought I would give those of you trying to help me with my HD static problem an update. It's been around 2 weeks and I have only had the HD channel changing to static a few times. The odd thing is that it has not happened exclusively on local channels as some of you figured was the case. I wasn't positive so I gave it some time so I could monitor it more closely. 2 Sunday's ago it happened on FOX while watching a football game but it happened this week on ESPN HD and NFL Network HD. Any thoughts?

For a refresher this is what happens: I am watching an HD station(doesn't seem to matter which one at this point), randomly the screen will change to static but my audio is still coming through like normal. Changing to another HD channel shows the same static. If I turn to a standard analog station(3, 7, 8, etc.) I will get my picture back. Then changing back to the HD channel will bring back the HD feed.

I will probably contact Buckeye about this and see what they say and hopefully talk to someone that can provide some kind of help(I've never had any luck with this in the past). It's not a constant thing so I'm not that worried about it but I still would like it to be fixed.

I am sorry if you answered these questions before, but what cable-box are you using? How are you connected to your display (HDMI or Component)? What display do you have? And does this happen for HD recordings as well (assuming you have a DVR)?
post #814 of 1951 Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM

Has anyone heard of anything... With DirectTV and such releasing so many HD channels in the last month or so, I was wondering if anyone had any scoop on Buckeye adding some new HD's. The last ones were ok, but all sports -- I want some regular stations added too (Discovery/History, etc...).
post #815 of 1951 Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcsi99 View Post

The last ones were ok, but all sports -- I want some regular stations added too (Discovery/History, etc...).

i agree
post #816 of 1951 Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Has anyone heard of anything... With DirectTV and such releasing so many HD channels in the last month or so, I was wondering if anyone had any scoop on Buckeye adding some new HD's. The last ones were ok, but all sports -- I want some regular stations added too (Discovery/History, etc...).

Look for CNN HD - by years end.
post #817 of 1951 Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 AM

This is a reception/recording problem. I looked, but could not find other information on other threads about this issue, and because I thought it might be a buckeye specific question, so I've posted here.

I've run into an interesting situation when exporting HDTV signals from the buckeye favorite Motorola 6412. I have been using the firewire port on the back of the box to export live and recorded events to my PC for backup purposes. Recorded HD content eats up a lot of space on the box, so I export my recordings and sometimes live events to my computer to future use. However, I have just noticed this weekend that WTOL-DT (611) and NFLN-HD (627) do not allow for exportation through the firewire port. I have and continue to be able to export ABC (613) FOX (636), and NBC (624), and the all of the standard definition channels as well.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't matter whether I attempt to export live feeds on these two channels are if I attempt to export recorded feed I get the same non-results. Is it possible that buckeye is blocking such content from exportation?

Anyone have any thoughts?
post #818 of 1951 Old 11-12-2007, 07:17 PM

What other channels should we be looking for? I'm gettin' bored of the non sports HD channels.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #819 of 1951 Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyd_monroe View Post

The interesting thing is that it doesn't matter whether I attempt to export live feeds on these two channels are if I attempt to export recorded feed I get the same non-results. Is it possible that buckeye is blocking such content from exportation?

Could be 5C from the local stations/networks.

post #820 of 1951 Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 AM

I just learned about the 5c encryption and I checked the diagnostics screen on these two channels to see if they were in fact encrypted, but they are not. Now I am even more confused than I was before. I was expecting to find that these two channels were in fact encrypted, but it appears that they are not.

I guess it is going to take some more experimenting before I figure this one out.
post #821 of 1951 Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess it is going to take some more experimenting before I figure this one out.

Contact Buckeye. It may take some doing before you get someone who understands your issue, but escalate the issue (to supervisors) and be patient.

post #822 of 1951 Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quote:

This is a reception/recording problem. I looked, but could not find other information on other threads about this issue, and because I thought it might be a buckeye specific question, so I've posted here.

I've run into an interesting situation when exporting HDTV signals from the buckeye favorite Motorola 6412. I have been using the firewire port on the back of the box to export live and recorded events to my PC for backup purposes. Recorded HD content eats up a lot of space on the box, so I export my recordings and sometimes live events to my computer to future use. However, I have just noticed this weekend that WTOL-DT (611) and NFLN-HD (627) do not allow for exportation through the firewire port. I have and continue to be able to export ABC (613) FOX (636), and NBC (624), and the all of the standard definition channels as well.

611 is only recordable using a DVHS machine. It has RC and CCI flags set to prevent a noncompliant device from recording it. This is not a Buckeye issue but a WTOl issue. I hae emailed their eng with no luck. It is not 5C encrpt but another seperate flag issue. The RC flag for 611 is 0x01. It should be 0X00 like it was until about 3 months ago. 624, 613, 636 are 0x00.

Nothing you can do except get a DVHS machine if you want to archive HD.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #823 of 1951 Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM

In my monthly mail to buckeye requesting new/more HD channels, I got this response of some HD changes coming in December.

Quote:
We will be moving ESPN HD, Sportstime Ohio HD, NFL HD and NBA HD to our HD Basic Package in December. Currently, some of those channels are included in our HD Plus Package and you pay extra for them.

They of course went on to say they are working diligently to get more HD channels, but no details on anything upcoming.

Personally, I think I will give it till February or so and if nothing new in the pipeline, I am going to consider DirectTV or Dish... I like buckeye, but I can't stand watching SD channels anymore and really want more HD options.
post #824 of 1951 Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally, I think I will give it till February or so and if nothing new in the pipeline, I am going to consider DirectTV or Dish... I like buckeye, but I can't stand watching SD channels anymore and really want more HD options.

Have you actually seen the HD PQ on DirecTV or Dish? I am not affiliated with Buckeye in any way, shape or form....but the HD broadcast quality of Buckeye is possibly the best I have ever seen anywhere. DirectTV HD is just plain nasty.

Go to a local Best Buy and take a gander at the HD channels on DirectTV. On ESPNHD you get to watch artifacts dance around the screen...all over the ESPN logo and the ticker. The grass is swimming with Mpeg artifacts due to comression applied by DirecTV. Nasty...just plain nasty.

If you have a small screen and don't care all that much about picture quality then a SAT service may be for you.

Tom

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #825 of 1951 Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

In my monthly mail to buckeye requesting new/more HD channels, I got this response of some HD changes coming in December.

They of course went on to say they are working diligently to get more HD channels, but no details on anything upcoming.

Do you currently subscribe to Buckeye's "premium" HD package? If not, you are missing a substantial amount of HD programming. There is truly something for everyone every day and night in that group of channels. Combine that with the major network HD channels and you've got quite a bit of HD programming to choose from.
As one who has been there, done that, with both of the satellite services, I'll take Buckeye thank you. But, everyone is different. That's why Baskin Robbins has so many flavors of ice cream to select from.
post #826 of 1951 Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 AM

Yea, I currently have the "premium" package, and I agree I think the PQ of buckeye is great, yet I find myself missing some old shows I used to watch on standard def (granted I could still watch them there... hahaha). I know buckeye is working hard to bring more content, I just hope to hear some more news in the next few months - every month when I pay my bill I am reminded how much I want more content. It would be really cool if I could just have HD channels and only a few SD channels for half my current bill since most of the channels I get in the "regular" packages never even get looked at.
post #827 of 1951 Old 11-22-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Yea, I currently have the "premium" package, and I agree I think the PQ of buckeye is great, yet I find myself missing some old shows I used to watch on standard def (granted I could still watch them there... hahaha). I know buckeye is working hard to bring more content, I just hope to hear some more news in the next few months - every month when I pay my bill I am reminded how much I want more content. It would be really cool if I could just have HD channels and only a few SD channels for half my current bill since most of the channels I get in the "regular" packages never even get looked at.

Sooner or later, a la carte programming will be here - but at what price? I know what you mean - there are so many junk channels included - but, last I knew, it was no different with the satellite guys.
post #828 of 1951 Old 11-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNLUVINIT View Post

Sooner or later, a la carte programming will be here - but at what price? I know what you mean - there are so many junk channels included - but, last I knew, it was no different with the satellite guys.

Yea, I agree with that - A La Carte sounds good, but I've heard the bad side of that too...
post #829 of 1951 Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Have you actually seen the HD PQ on DirecTV or Dish? I am not affiliated with Buckeye in any way, shape or form....but the HD broadcast quality of Buckeye is possibly the best I have ever seen anywhere. DirectTV HD is just plain nasty.

Go to a local Best Buy and take a gander at the HD channels on DirectTV. On ESPNHD you get to watch artifacts dance around the screen...all over the ESPN logo and the ticker. The grass is swimming with Mpeg artifacts due to comression applied by DirecTV. Nasty...just plain nasty.

If you have a small screen and don't care all that much about picture quality then a SAT service may be for you.

Tom

"Go to a local Best Buy"... thats where you went wrong. Any retail chain will not take the time to adjust the displays to get the best picture. They leave them at factory settings, and that means 100% sharpness and 100% brightness/contrast. Not to mention any picture enhancement technology the TV has included is usually set to on by default. Compression is hardly the case. This is what makes all those artifacts jump around.

My father in law has DirectTV-HD and every channel looks great on his plasma. A friend of mine has the Buckeye HD pack and this also looks great on his DLP. I guess my point is, it does not matter who your provider is, your going to get a great picture as long as you have the TV and have it set up the way it looks best to you. I myself am sticking it out with the most basic package from Buckeye and watching the local HD through the QAM tuner on my TV or with the OTA antenna.
post #830 of 1951 Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM

I just noticed 619 - HD weather channel and 620 CNNHD are now active. I knew about CNN coming but I don't remember 619 being around. Hopefully more are coming soon too! Keep'em coming Buckeye!
post #831 of 1951 Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin View Post

"Go to a local Best Buy"... thats where you went wrong. Any retail chain will not take the time to adjust the displays to get the best picture. They leave them at factory settings, and that means 100% sharpness and 100% brightness/contrast. Not to mention any picture enhancement technology the TV has included is usually set to on by default. Compression is hardly the case. This is what makes all those artifacts jump around.

My father in law has DirectTV-HD and every channel looks great on his plasma. A friend of mine has the Buckeye HD pack and this also looks great on his DLP. I guess my point is, it does not matter who your provider is, your going to get a great picture as long as you have the TV and have it set up the way it looks best to you. I myself am sticking it out with the most basic package from Buckeye and watching the local HD through the QAM tuner on my TV or with the OTA antenna.

Yea, I've known many people happy with Direct-TV... as long as I know Buckeye is actively bringing in channels, I will stick around.
post #832 of 1951 Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

DirectTV PQ is horrid. On a 50" it may be tolerable...but the compression artifacts are so nasty as to ruin the picture on any screen of significant size.

I understand some folks think its fine...they ignore the artifacting. I have sat in people's houses and watched as the grass on a football field pulsed with DirectTV artifacting while the owner proclaimed it a wonderful picture. Please....

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #833 of 1951 Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just noticed 619 - HD weather channel and 620 CNNHD are now active. I knew about CNN coming but I don't remember 619 being around. Hopefully more are coming soon too! Keep'em coming Buckeye!

Fantastic!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #834 of 1951 Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you. First post updated.

post #835 of 1951 Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hensley View Post

-1 CBS HD

WTVG ABC 19 (13)
-1 ABC HD
-2 ABC TV Plus (SD)
-3 WTVG Weather Now (SD)

WNWO NBC 49 (24)
-1 NBC HD
-2 RTN Retro TV (SD)
-3 NBC Weather Plus (SD)

WGTE PBS 29 (30)
-1 PBS Digital
-2 PBS Family (SD)
-3 PBS Create (SD)

WUPW FOX 46 (36)
-1 FOX HD

Do you think there will be any more channels added to the above?

Jim
post #836 of 1951 Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 AM

new HD channels coming:

FOX Business HD
Premieres Dec. 27
The latest national business news, international business news and financial news.

Outdoor Channel HD
Premieres Dec. 27
Outdoor Channel is focused on the outdoors, offering programming that includes hunting, fishing, Western lifestyle, off-road motorsports and adventure. Now in HD!
post #837 of 1951 Old 11-29-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:

new HD channels coming:

FOX Business HD
Premieres Dec. 27
The latest national business news, international business news and financial news.

Outdoor Channel HD
Premieres Dec. 27
Outdoor Channel is focused on the outdoors, offering programming that includes hunting, fishing, Western lifestyle, off-road motorsports and adventure. Now in HD!

This is just one of the many reasons I subscribe to the AVS Forums. I would never have known about these new HD channels otherwise. One would think that Buckeye would make such announcements a priority in their monthly newsletter e-mails. Mostly what I see in those pertains to WWE pay per views and other such items that I could care less about. Thanks for posting the info folks!
post #838 of 1951 Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNLUVINIT View Post

This is just one of the many reasons I subscribe to the AVS Forums. I would never have known about these new HD channels otherwise. One would think that Buckeye would make such announcements a priority in their monthly newsletter e-mails. Mostly what I see in those pertains to WWE pay per views and other such items that I could care less about. Thanks for posting the info folks!

Same here. Thanks!
post #839 of 1951 Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

First Post Updated:

(618 WGN-HD Coming Dec. 27)

(621 FOX Business HD Coming Dec. 27)

(Outdoor Channel HD Coming Dec. 27)

post #840 of 1951 Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the updates folks!!! Not too excited about the CNN and TWC HD channels but Outdoor channel and WGN sound pretty good.

I have a question guys. Does anyone else notice when watching TNT HD or TBS HD that there are flashes of video noise or sparkling colors? I don't notice this on any other channels. I even thought I saw it on ESPN HD when they show the NBA highlights from TNT HD . It's very annoying when trying to watch sports(NBA).

Does anyone else notice this or is it me?

For the record I don't notice this at all on any other channels , Xbox 360(HDMI) or my HD A2(HDMI). Thanks.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page