Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Helpful info on the swap. Thanks.
Buckeye does claim that the firewire ports are active. I think we need to confirm that though and the only true test would be hooking it up to a JVC D-VHS. Would be interested in whether or not that works. Would be even better if you could use the firewire for and external storage device increasing the capacity of the box. I'm just dreaming now though. I know that will never happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 12:46 PM

Found this manual for the TV iGuide for the 6412 on the Motorola website.
post #63 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 01:27 PM

I just need your comments/opinions on the following HDTV. Thank you. Also, thank you Trabbic for the firewire input. I'll post the URL after five post guys, sorry. Its the Samsung Premier 26" Widescreen Flat though.

Jason Hansen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 01:38 PM

Maxdefcon,
I don't have any experience with the Samsung Premere. You may have better luck posting that question on the HDTV Hardware section. Sorry.
post #65 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Well, got my DCT6412 up and running w/no problem. I love the DVR & is the main reason why I got it. I'll get an HDTV sooner or later.

Jason Hansen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Up and running here as well and I can see that watching TV will never be the same. This is slick. A bit of a challenge trying to learn all the functions and teach my wife at the same time. She's the type that has no patience reading a manual but has a thousand quesitons. So far I haven't found anything to complain about. I suppose if you look hard enough you'll find something it can't do or could do better. For example, one of my wife's comments was "you mean if we're recording two shows at the same time on the two tuners you can't surf the channels at the same time?" No but you can watch a show you previously recorded which in itself is pretty impressive. "I guess so."
On the initial set up it took a call to Buckeye to get the premium services turned on. Could be that I was a bit impatient and if I just waited a little longer it would picked up the signal but a forced signal to the box by Buckeye and all was OK.
Also initially I was seeing flicker in the lower standard def channels. My first thought was "Oh no!! It's back!" but it seems that once the initial download completed the flicker went away. Whew..
Now if I can just get my wife to read the manual.
post #67 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 05:30 PM

I had to call work and have them send a signal to my box to get my premium channels. Once they did that, "bam!" everything came in instantly.. ok maybe 2 or 3 seconds later, but you get the idea.

Have you shown your wife i-guide.tv (website) yet?

Jason Hansen

post #68 of 1953 Old 11-08-2004, 06:47 PM

Yes, I did. Plus gave her a copy of the manual I downloaded and printed. One thing I haven't been able to figure out yet but I suspect I know the answer to is if you have a recording in process do you need to keep the power on for the STB? I believe the answer is yes as long as it's a recording in process. A test of that got a warning that the recording would be canceled when I hit the power button while a recording I manually started was taking place. Then the next question would be, what about a recording that's scheduled for later? Does the unit turn itself on, do the recording and then shut itself down when it's completed? If it records without going through that process why did it tell me that the recording in process would end if I shut down the unit?
post #69 of 1953 Old 11-09-2004, 07:04 AM

Now all we need to do is convince Buckeye to deploy the Maxtor QuickView Expander . I know I'm dreaming but who knows.
post #70 of 1953 Old 11-09-2004, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maxdefcon
I just need your comments/opinions on the following HDTV. Thank you. Also, thank you Trabbic for the firewire input. I'll post the URL after five post guys, sorry. Its the Samsung Premier 26" Widescreen Flat though.

Jason, I haven't used that particular Samsung set, but I have a 30" 16:9 Sammy (the TXM3097WHF) and love it. For the money, it's a terrific unit. It doesn't have the high-end features that other sets in the same size range have; in particular, the only S-Video input is on the side panel (boo, hiss). However, for what I paid, I couldn't be happier. If you're talking about one of the 26" sets like Best Buy has, I think you'll probably be happy with it.
post #71 of 1953 Old 11-09-2004, 08:22 PM

Hooked up my 6412 box tonight, info loaded really quickly. The Firewire ports don't seem to be active as a output. Tried recording to my camcorder-no go. Have not tried using the ports as an input though.-another evening perhaps. Already recording two shows, though I keep hitting the DVR replay as the select button on prev boxes alway brought up the mini-guide. Might take a few days to get use to i-guide button locations. So far so good-overall.
post #72 of 1953 Old 11-09-2004, 08:26 PM

Anyone notice that NBC did not switch to HD for Law and Order: SVU?

This seems to happen all the time... But usually switches after about 15 minutes or so...

Edit:

On that same note, Leno looked great for about 20 minutes then the High Def feed cut out to be replaced with the 4:3 feed...

I wonder if this is buckeye's problem or NBC?
post #73 of 1953 Old 11-10-2004, 08:43 AM

New member here.
Set up my 6412 on Monday and so far so good.
I will be looking at this forum to get familiar with what has been said.
I have Voom and got tired of waiting for the HD-DVR so I jumped at this offer.
I will keep Voom for as long as the wife lets me because I would prefer to stay away from Buckeye if possible.

Anyway, Hi, and I will be talking to you folks as time goes by.
post #74 of 1953 Old 11-12-2004, 09:59 AM

Trabbic, About the HD/upconvert cutting back & forth, it's all on the programmers/station side. Buckeye just passes the supplied HD signals through. Many of the stations are still working out the bugs of HD and the automated systems still have timing issues(between local upconvert & network HD programming). ABC kept MNF upconverted for close to 20 minutes before switching over (back) to the ABC HD signal.
Scott
post #75 of 1953 Old 11-12-2004, 10:39 AM

Nice to see all the new members from the Toledo area.
KentStater - I may have been with you a couple years ago regarding Buckeye but considering the size of the market I've been very impressed lately with the way they've been coming through with the upgrades in technology. I certainly can't complain about my 5 Mbps Internet connection when only a few years ago I was downloading at 26K. We have a pretty good offering of HighDef channels for this market with all three major networks, PBS, Fox and a good selection of premiums. Now we have the DVR (6412) to boot and word has it before the end of the year they're coming out with VOIP with local area codes. Sure I'm paying now more per month for all these services than I paid monthly for my first appartment (giving away my age now) but that's my choice. All and all I can't complain. As a matter of fact in my personal opinion I'm pretty thrilled with Buckeye's offerings and glad I ditched the idea of putting up a dish. Of course this is all just my opinion.
Bob
post #76 of 1953 Old 11-12-2004, 08:59 PM

Just to let everyone know, Buckeye is not offering "true" VoIP. The service will be called Buckeye Tel. Our NID will be placed next your exsisting NID. The only time it goes over the cable lines is to our NOC, located on Angola road, from there the phone calls are routed over traditional phone lines. Where VoIP goes from IP to IP. Just incase some of you don't know, I work for Buckeye Cable in the Buckeye Express department. I've been testing Buckeye Tel before it is released to the public and I haven't had any problems with it.

Jason Hansen

post #77 of 1953 Old 11-13-2004, 03:40 AM

Max,
Thanks for filling us in on the details of Buckeye's version of VOIP. Nice to have a rep from Buckeye here on the forum.
Bob
post #78 of 1953 Old 11-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Fullwave2.
Thanks for the welcome.
Actually I have always appreciated the quality of service and the level of technology that Buckeye provides.
The connection to the Block family is my reason for avoiding Buckeye in the past.

I just had to try the HD-DVR though, and man I like it.
post #79 of 1953 Old 11-17-2004, 05:50 AM

Just a heads up... If you have a 6412 DVR cable box, the WB's TV5 HD audio won't pass through. TV5 has been working on switching to the WB's HD signal during Prime Time, but supplied equipment has been an issue. The engineers have been in contact with Motorola about the audio/6412 issue.Hopefully they'll get that fixed soon, as that is the wife's HD channel!
post #80 of 1953 Old 11-17-2004, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by videditor
Just a heads up... If you have a 6412 DVR cable box, the WB's TV5 HD audio won't pass through. TV5 has been working on switching to the WB's HD signal during Prime Time, but supplied equipment has been an issue. The engineers have been in contact with Motorola about the audio/6412 issue.Hopefully they'll get that fixed soon, as that is the wife's HD channel!

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. I'm glad my wife is still working her way through a backlog of this season's Smallville episodes on the bedroom Tivo, or I'd be in big trouble-- I sold her on the DVR largely because our living-room DirecTiVo can't get WB5!
post #81 of 1953 Old 11-19-2004, 03:22 AM

WB audio is still out. Any word on when they'll have this issue corrected?
post #82 of 1953 Old 11-19-2004, 06:39 AM

As of late yesterday, word is that Motorola is scratching their heads. TV5 increased their bit rate, which helped until prime time hit. So they dumped back to the sd upconvert.
post #83 of 1953 Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 AM

The audio issue with WB HD should now be fixed- encoding issue.
post #84 of 1953 Old 11-30-2004, 06:50 AM

Has anyone else got this new problem?
When I turn on the cable box I get a black screen. I go to the menu and play a recorded show and it is fine. When I am done the broadcast TV is back.
post #85 of 1953 Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 AM

Nope. Sounds like you might need to do a hardware swap. I've got 2 6412's and neither of them have done that. Sorry.
post #86 of 1953 Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 AM

I called Buckeye and the CSR said try a reboot first.
I'll unplug it when I get home and then post the results just in case it happens to someone else.
post #87 of 1953 Old 12-01-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KentStater72
Has anyone else got this new problem?
When I turn on the cable box I get a black screen. I go to the menu and play a recorded show and it is fine. When I am done the broadcast TV is back.

i had this problem once. after i unplugged the power and plugged it back in, it worked fine & i have not had the problem since.

Jason Hansen

post #88 of 1953 Old 12-03-2004, 10:51 AM

Thanks Jason.
I did the unplug, plug thing and it is working fine so far.

Has anyone here recorded from the 6412 to DVD or VHS.
Before I start pulling all my equipment out and driving my wife crazy, I would like to know if there is a way to record DVR material to my Phillips 310 DVD recorder.

Thanks
post #89 of 1953 Old 12-14-2004, 05:44 AM

Well I went ahead and tried to connect my 6412 to my DVDR and I got video pretty good, but the only available audio out from the 6412 is the SPDIF. Unless there is a way to adapt SPDIF to RCA it wont work.
Anyone know if it is possible and where in NWOhio, SEMichigan i can go?
post #90 of 1953 Old 12-16-2004, 05:39 AM

As I have mentioned, I have both Voom satellite and Buckeye HD.
Well that will be coming to an end here in January.
Unless Voom has a fully functioning DVR at the CES Show on the 6th, I'm out of there.
Does anyone in this group know if Buckeye is planning on adding HD stations?
Specifically UHD (Formerly BravoHD), TCM is apperantly going HD in the next few months and I would love to get UPN in HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page