Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is everyone's top 3 HD request?

Here's mine:

1) PPV/VOD HD
2) USA HD
3) Sci-Fi HD

I also don't understand why Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy aren't in HD within the Toledo area considering that both have moved to HD.

Anyone going to get the new TurboHD service by the DISH Network? 1080P HD VOD! That is just awesome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1951 Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdefcon View Post

Here's mine:

1) PPV/VOD HD
2) USA HD
3) Sci-Fi HD

1 - Discovery
2 - Speed
3 - FX

If they did VOD HD I doubt the PQ would satisfy me. I've grown accustomed to watching all my movies on Blu-Ray. When it comes to feature films it's uncompressed 1080P or don't bother.

I can't imagine DISH's VOD being all that great. I haven't seen a sat broadcast yet that looks very good.
post #1083 of 1951 Old 08-17-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU FASTR View Post

Anybody know when the locals will start broadcasting news in HD? Can't wait to get a better look at Jerry Anderson's fake tan and see if the obscenely sweet Chrys Peterson is in fact made of sugar as I've long suspected.

Would love to see the folks in HD. Chrys may be a very nice person but her on-screen persona is so over-the-top sweet that it difficult to watch and listen

WTOL's research data must tell them that is what the nice elderly ladies in Toledo want to see and hear.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #1084 of 1951 Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:

1. Discovery HD
2. SciFi HD
3. Bravo HD (passed along at the wife's request...)
post #1085 of 1951 Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

1. Discovery HD
2. SciFi HD
3. Bravo HD (passed along at the wife's request...)

FOXNewsHD

MHD

ScifiHD

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #1086 of 1951 Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNLUVINIT View Post

With all due respect Videditor, I believe there is plenty of news in this area to cover. Now, if you're talking about what they typically present - car crashes, house fires and Mrs. O'Leary's chowder needing a bit more cream, then you are correct. There isn't enough of that type of non-news for four newcasts to cover.

Totally agree with all your additional points! Problem is... TV is a business now. Owners have no pride of ownership going on for the local area. I don't see cash coming in for extra reporters/photogs to do the reports you want to see. They have to have the same stories the others have or the advertisers question them. Heck the networks world news even watch each other and break when the others break!
Even with all these additional 30 minute segments, they just re-hash most of the stories. Maybe edit a package differently, but it's the same story. Like getting bonus footage on a dvd release.
post #1087 of 1951 Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I also don't understand why Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy aren't in HD within the Toledo area considering that both have moved to HD.

Mainly because the local networks record those feeds earlier in the day & replay them in the evening. The don't have the HDVTRs or DDRs in house to record the in HD and playback HD later. I am sure that will come, but HD news is probably first on the agenda after getting 2-9-09 out of the way.
HD is not just "plug & play" for stations or production facilities. I have bought HD equipment for my workplace. I have a couple cameras, editing systems and accessories, but am nowhere near operating like my SD work flow is today.
On a side note... I bought an AppleTV. Not for the movie rentals but they sure do look nice. Most of the newer releases are 1080i. Before most were just 720p. Sure is nice to download a movie at the last minute and have it in HD. Spent some time with an Apple rep at the Chicago store. One on One & one of the workshops...solid product.. so I bought. So far so good.

VidEditor
post #1088 of 1951 Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videditor View Post

Totally agree with all your additional points! Problem is... TV is a business now. Owners have no pride of ownership going on for the local area. I don't see cash coming in for extra reporters/photogs to do the reports you want to see. They have to have the same stories the others have or the advertisers question them. Heck the networks world news even watch each other and break when the others break!
Even with all these additional 30 minute segments, they just re-hash most of the stories. Maybe edit a package differently, but it's the same story. Like getting bonus footage on a dvd release.

Your points are all valid - and, sadly, understood. I guess if the people wanted something besides the car crashes, house fires and finding a home for Fido, they'd apply the pressure to the local stations to put it on. Which sadly takes me back to the real truth - the problem(s) with Toledo are not the politicians, newspaper and the failure of local TV media to present actual news - no, Toledo's problems are a direct result of the apathy of it's population. BTW, thanks for the explanation regarding Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy - I always wondered why we didn't see them in HD locally too.
post #1089 of 1951 Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNLUVINIT View Post

... Which sadly takes me back to the real truth - the problem(s) with Toledo are not the politicians, newspaper and the failure of local TV media to present actual news - no, Toledo's problems are a direct result of the apathy of it's population. ...

Bingo!

My wife and I were just talking about how much this area has to offer, but its population are so negative and apathetic about Toledo that it makes us sick.
post #1090 of 1951 Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I am originally from New England and spend a significant amount of time back in that area.

I have always thought that Toledo was a decent city to live in and that it had its plusses and minuses like any other city. I have met some terrific people here and have been fortunate to have built a career in this area. Recently the increase in murders have caused me to become hesitant to travel in particular areas of the city. I have personally witnessed neighborhoods go from family friendly to thug/scary land in 25 years. Unless the economic fortunes of the city improve, I am somewhat fearful of the future. I moved to a suburb to escape the degeneration encroaching on many areas of the city.

At least we have concealed carry. I wouldn't go into the city without it.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #1091 of 1951 Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

On a side note... I bought an AppleTV. Not for the movie rentals but they sure do look nice. Most of the newer releases are 1080i. Before most were just 720p. Sure is nice to download a movie at the last minute and have it in HD. Spent some time with an Apple rep at the Chicago store. One on One & one of the workshops...solid product.. so I bought. So far so good.

VidEditor

Thanks for the response regarding Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy HD & that makes sense. I bought an AppleTV (connected via HDMI) in March & absolutely love it. I use Flickr and when people are over, I love to show them my photos on my nice HDTV via the AppleTV. I also watch a few of the video podcast (HD). Watching YouTube videos from my couch is nice too. Now, just waiting for the Xbox360 update in fall and I'll be able to stream Netflix to my HDTV instead of just to my PC. I know it won't be HD, but Netflix has stated they are headed in that direction.

post #1092 of 1951 Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM

During the last couple of weeks, I lost my TV guide feature on my Panasonic HDTV, due to Host Channel not found. After fiddling with it for hours, I gave up and called Buckeye tech support. It turns out that PBS channel 99 (my host channel) converted to a digital signal and the interface with Buckeye is now messed up. I'm told the enginners are working on it, with no timeframe given. Pretty sad. I assume others are having the same problem. Let me know.

Thanks

Jim
post #1093 of 1951 Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 PM

I'm in the TV Biz, and the only way 24 would go off the air would be if NBC transfered to other station and NWO could not pick up another network. WUPW is strong with Fox, TOL is solid with CBS and same for TVG with ABC. There have been network swaps in the past...but I don't see any network willing to go to NWO. Especially with with ownership. Never say never, but in a market that's in the top 70...NBC will survive.
VidEditor
post #1094 of 1951 Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WNWO-TV, "NBC 24", will not "go off the air" due to bankruptcy. Period. I'm sitting here willing to guarantee it.

If Barrington Broadcasting falls apart, SOMEONE will buy either all of their stations or WNWO individually. Once again, a full-power top-100 market Big Four affiliate just does not go off the air due to financial difficulty.

And NBC will not let Toledo go without full-power OTA NBC affiliation - and since the only place that it can basically happen is on Channel 24, an NBC affiliate owned by SOME company will continue to air there.

A network affiliation swap isn't likely at the current time in Toledo. The chances against NBC landing on WTOL/11 with former WNWO owner Raycom? Incredibly unlikely. And at least for now, ABC owns affiliate WTVG/13, so that makes a swap impossible on that end.

The only comments I acceded to, re: stations shutting down and going off, were long ago, decades ago in some cases, and involved independent stations not affiliated with any major network. As I rather clearly stated, that doesn't have ANY bearing on the situation allegedly involving the finances of Toledo's current NBC affilate in 2008.
post #1095 of 1951 Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as who would buy WNWO, if Barrington had to sell it separately, I'm guessing Block Communications would be the first in line. (Yes, I know, they're not really on good terms right now )

Block owns about a half-dozen OTA stations outside Toledo, and of course, runs the cable-only CW affiliate "WT05" out of their Buckeye Cablevision. They'd be a natural buyer if the Barrington/WNWO connection fell apart. And it'd sure solve the carriage issues, if it happened before a deal between Barrington and Buckeye (My gut tells me that whatever financial issues Barrington is supposedly facing, I don't think they break before such a deal is made.)
post #1096 of 1951 Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There have been network swaps in the past...but I don't see any network willing to go to NWO.

MyNetwork TV would willingly make the jump from WMNT/48/58/108/2008, I presume.

post #1097 of 1951 Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Speaking of MyNetworkTV. I didn't realize WWE's Smackdown was moving to MyNetworkTV (Channel 58 on Buckeye). That's pretty sad. At least WWE fans could watch their show in HD on one day... not anymore.

Buckeye doesn't offer USA, Sci-Fi, or PPV in HD. I don't even think our local MyNetworkTV can broadcast in HD.

post #1098 of 1951 Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buckeye doesn't offer USA, Sci-Fi, or PPV in HD. I don't even think our local MyNetworkTV can broadcast in HD.

It's a low-rent LPTV (class A) channel - WMNT-CA. It can barely broadcast in color.

It's owned now, though, by the Cornerstone Church people, who certainly have more money than the Mom and Pop former owners who are still suing them trying to take over the station.

Since it's an analog LPTV, there won't be MNTV in HD...unless the Cornerstone folks manage to get the equipment and fiber an HD feed to Buckeye, all of which seems somewhat unlikely.
post #1099 of 1951 Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:

I've been asking about these since day one that WWE went HD. Buckeye hasn't added any new HD channels in 3 or 4 months. I'm starting to think they just don't care about HD anymore. I guess they're too busy with the NBC24 people. I swear SOMEDAY they will lose me to dish.
post #1100 of 1951 Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone here have directv? If so who did you have do the installation, and were they any good. I live in the Waterville Time Warner (adelphia) area, and I'm sick of them. I'd love to go to directv, but their sales people seem so slimey it's like a used car salesman. I've heard that their new dish/DVR setup only needs one coax run to each box so I could use existing inside wiring. Are the locals in Toledo available in HD from directv or do I have to have an antenna? Not having the locals in HD and be able to DVR them is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks,
Mark

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #1101 of 1951 Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM

I didn't see this posted yet, so here it is... NBC granted Buckeye another extension. Depending on who you listen to either Sept. 3rd or Sept. 10th.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6590005.html
post #1102 of 1951 Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Does anyone that post in this thread post elsewhere within AVS Forum's?

post #1103 of 1951 Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone that post in this thread post elsewhere within AVS Forum's?

I didn't accumulate almost three thousand posts on this thread alone

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #1104 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I didn't accumulate almost three thousand posts on this thread alone

I was about to say something very similar

post #1105 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish there was a way to make this thread more beneficial and influential for the whole of NWO instead of just Toledo. Our Columbia, SC thread was a lot more active because we all had Time Warner Cable from Columbia to Charelston up to Myrtle Beach. Also there was a representative from TWCSC on our thread that kept us up to speed with changes and new features and equipment. Since we all have different cable services in NWO's outlying areas and Toledo has Buckeye, it makes it tough to have a large useful thread. I wish we had some members of this thread that used Directv and could talk about local installers, as I am sick of my TWC (adelphia) out here in BFE Wood county. I can't get any answers out of them and we haven't had a new HD channel in over a year. Also, I notice that Bowling Green's TWC has had more HD channels added, and Columbus's TWC is adding new HD all the time. I talked to Ar's and Yours Cable Inc. about installing a Directv dish for us. He said a new SWM dish was coming in the next few months, and that Directv was getting our locals in HD in a month or so. Does anyone else know about them? Are they a good installer?

post #1106 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Ok time for a rant.

Marky I hear what you are saying. I used to try to be apart of this forum but felt alienated because I have Directv.

I feel that the buckeye point of view is mandatory here.

Directv's picture quality isn't crap and it keeps getting better, mpeg4, new satellites, 1080p (CE, a kinda beta)

The buckeye philosophy permeates even the opinions of the NWO population.

An earlier post defended the politics and the blade and concluded it must be the people. My God! Toledo has inferior people.

Ok I'm done.
post #1107 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentStater72 View Post

Ok time for a rant.

Marky I hear what you are saying. I used to try to be apart of this forum but felt alienated because I have Directv.

I feel that the buckeye point of view is mandatory here.

Directv's picture quality isn't crap and it keeps getting better, mpeg4, new satellites, 1080p (CE, a kinda beta)

The buckeye philosophy permeates even the opinions of the NWO population.

An earlier post defended the politics and the blade and concluded it must be the people. My God! Toledo has inferior people.

Ok I'm done.

I wouldn't normally bother to respond but your post is factually incorrect. There was no defense of the politicians or the Blade in my post - in fact, since you've brought it up, I can't stand JRB and his worthless fish wrap. Nor do I like Emperor Finkwhiner, most of Toledo city council and all of the Lucas County Commissioners. My point is: who is it that continues to elect such people to office over and over and over? And, who is it that follows the marching orders given by JRB and his agenda driven editorial board? Sadly it is the people. If the people wanted something different than the do nothing, anti-business, slowly-killing-Toledo politicians, they'd elect them. If the people wanted something other than JRB and his gang of poison pen writers, they'd have that too. In general, the population usually gets what it wants. Since I haven't seen any improvement in Toledo politics or The Blade in the 30 years I've been in this area, I can only surmise that this must be what the majority wants. If you have another explanation, I'm all ears.
As for DirecTV and DISH network, I had the first for 9 years and the latter for 2 years. At the time I left them two years ago, they had little in the way of HD programming, I had to have multiple boxes with multiple cables coming from the dish to the boxes and feeding a signal to multiple TV's in my home simply became more effort than it was worth. Not to mention looking at an unsightly dish planted in my yard. And the fact that when I needed my local info the most - during severe weather - the dish signal was gone.
Buckeye Cable, phone and Broadband Internet are simply a better solution for me - though I do hate giving my hard earned $$ to Block Communications each month. But for those who choose either satellite company, God bless you. I wish you many happy years of service.
post #1108 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I was in no way putting down Buckeye or their customers. If I lived in the service area, I'd definitely go that route. When I was in Perrysburg, I did have the VIP plan. I only wish there was a choice for us out here to have Buckeye instead of our crappy TWC (Adelphia). I'd like to have more solidarity for NWO HDTV owners in order to get more channels offered to us. Our Columbia, SC thread (which has the same metropolitan population as toledo) has 8 times the number of posts as our Toledo thread. That is because the outlying areas were interested in the same conversations as the city residents. We in BG, Waterville, Defiance, Grand Rapids etc, have nowhere to voice our opinions on AVS about our service providers. It's no one's fault, it's just a bummer.

post #1109 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM

communities like toledo should feel fortunate they have 2 or 3 cable co's to choose from. Im in Findlay and we have 1 TWC. So if they dont have it we are screwed(and im not counting sat into this deal either). Whats even worse is that since they are the only cable provider around they dont have to give us anything(e.g. more channels) so we are stuck that way as well.
post #1110 of 1951 Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Do people in Toledo really hate Buckeye Cable that much? What is it about Buckeye Cable that people hate? Is it Block Communications?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page