Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to look at what HD Direct noe offers vs Buckeye. I quickly eyeballed both websites and came up with the following diffrences. PLEASE DO NOT take this as the gospil. I don't have Buckeye and can't be sure that their site was up to date or that I made no errors with my 5 minute scan . In fact I'm sure I made errors. But atleast below is a start.

Buckeye appears to have the following that DTV does not-

CW HD
WGTE PBS HD
WGN HD
MOJO HD

Direct appears to have the following Buckeye does not

ABC Family HD
Altitude HD
Animal Planet HD
Biography HD
Bravo HD
CMT HD
CNBC HD
Disney HD
ESPNNEWS HD
FUEL HD
FX HD
MTV HD
NICK HD
Planet Green HD
VH1 HD
SCI-FI HD
SCIENCE HD
SPEED HD
SPIKE HD
TENNIS HD
TLC HD
ToonDisney HD
USA-HD

MOVIES

HBO--Direct has 2 HD CHANNELS and Buckeye 1
Showtime Direct 5, BC 1
CINEMAX Direct 2, BC 1
Starz Dirext 5, BC 1

Please feel free to fill in any errors or omissions I'm sure there are many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Liked: 11
Ok since we now have Locals in Toledo for Direct TV. What about CW? I know we get the SD feed from Washington DC. They also do HD so shouldn't we get that in HD since we can't get WT05 in Toledo since it's cable based?
post #1173 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

Ok since we now have Locals in Toledo for Direct TV. What about CW? I know we get the SD feed from Washington DC. They also do HD so shouldn't we get that in HD since we can't get WT05 in Toledo since it's cable based?

Wouldn't hold your breath. --There is actually some talk that CW as a whole may have to fold if their new fall lineup fails. I hope they do well as I rather like a couple of their shows.
post #1174 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
My goodness...the quality of the HD provided by Direct TV is abysmal. Just horrid. The artifacting is over the top. I am forced to watch Direct TV HD when I visit family/friends...and it is just nasty.

The compression destroys the PQ.

Oh...and Buckeye does have Versus/Golf HD.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #1175 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

My goodness...the quality of the HD provided by Direct TV is abysmal. Just horrid. The artifacting is over the top. I am forced to watch Direct TV HD when I visit family/friends...and it is just nasty.

I don't know what seems to be the problem with your family and friends connection. But I could tell a major difference when I switch from Buckeye to Direct TV. The colors look more crisp, vivid and sharper. Maybe they need to get their dish adjusted or maybe a new receiver but I can tell you going from cable to dish what a major difference for me and my family. Direct TV is by far superior to cable. Now mind you that is my opinion and you can disagree. But seriously I would have them check there signals and see if they may need an adjustment.

One major flaw for me was that Buckeye Cable didn't offer event and pay per view in HD. Maybe for one person who does not watch those can be happy with cable but for me who watch UFC all the time wants to be able to see it in HD. I admit SD looks like crap but it looks way worse over cable than D*.

Also for that CW channel that's a bunch of bull I want my CW in HD!!! Oh well I guess I will just get them another way.
post #1176 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey ben and Zyeox, who was your installer for your D*, and were they any good?

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #1177 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info on Versus/Golf HD. I have seen Buckeye/Directv side-by-side and felt DirectTV's MPeg4 (now it is all Mpeg4) stuff more then held its own. To each their own, if you like cable and I like satellite we both win. I will say it appears DTV has several more HD channels at this point in time.
post #1178 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

Hey ben and Zyeox, who was your installer for your D*, and were they any good?

Sorry i don't recall who it was but they did a good job. if you are really interested I'm sure I can dig it out somewhere.
post #1179 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

If you don't mind looking ben, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to find a good installer.

post #1180 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM

I don't recall either. But who ever they where they were both great. One guy stayed over an hour an half because of rain and mind you it was around 8pm at the time when the rain started. It was a couple months back when we were having tornado warnings left and right. He stayed and got everything up and working. I am at work and if I can find the paperwork I will repost it here.

I just ordered right through directv and they sent out the place. I would just go through them.
post #1181 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Is it easier for satellite providers to get HD in their lineup than cable providers?

Jason Hansen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1182 of 1953 Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt it max, but I figure sat providers don't have as many demands and limitations on their bandwidth as cable providers. Hopefully once all cable companies have switched digital video, they'll have a ton more bandwidth to work with and can give us all those channels too.

On a side note, I called Ar's and Yours Cable and Satellite Co. and scheduled an install of D* for next Tuesday. Hopefully I'm making the right choice of leaving cable. It's a 2 year commitment. I suppose if I hate it, I can live with it for 2 years, and maybe by then our Time Warner will be better. I just hope rain fade doesn't drive us nuts.

post #1183 of 1953 Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I doubt it max, but I figure sat providers don't have as many demands and limitations on their bandwidth as cable providers. Hopefully once all cable companies have switched digital video, they'll have a ton more bandwidth to work with and can give us all those channels too.

On a side note, I called Ar's and Yours Cable and Satellite Co. and scheduled an install of D* for next Tuesday. Hopefully I'm making the right choice of leaving cable. It's a 2 year commitment. I suppose if I hate it, I can live with it for 2 years, and maybe by then our Time Warner will be better. I just hope rain fade doesn't drive us nuts.

For what it is worth, I shared all your concerns when I first switched. However, the install went fine and rain fade has been extremely occassional. I've loast picture less then 1 hour a year so far. I lost picture more then an hour a year with cable. My only advice is to make sure the installer gets good signals on the 99 and 103 degree satellites. All transponders should be reading high 80's to over 90. With a strong signal rain fade will be a very rare experience.
post #1184 of 1953 Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the support ben. Glad to hear you're having little rain fade. How'd yours hold up over the storms from the hurricane last week?

post #1185 of 1953 Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the support ben. Glad to hear you're having little rain fade. How'd yours hold up over the storms from the hurricane last week?

I had some pixelation on some HD channels for less then 5 minutes. SD channels I had no issue with.
post #1186 of 1953 Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

That's so great ben. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get my D* connected.

post #1187 of 1953 Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:

That's so great ben. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get my D* connected.

Let us know how your install goes Tuesday. More importantly, let us know what you think of the product.
post #1188 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 AM

When watching channel 611 (CBS HD) or 636 (FOX HD) on Buckeye CableSystem, I'll see white lines at the very top of the screen flickering. Has anyone else seen this? It's not all the time that they are there either. Sometimes it almost looks like a counter on channel 611. Those are the only two channels that I have noticed that on.

Jason Hansen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1189 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdefcon View Post

When watching channel 611 (CBS HD) or 636 (FOX HD) on Buckeye CableSystem, I'll see white lines at the very top of the screen flickering. Has anyone else seen this? It's not all the time that they are there either. Sometimes it almost looks like a counter on channel 611. Those are the only two channels that I have noticed that on.

I'll leave it to those with a better handle on TV tech to explain in detail, but...

Basically, that's "normal" depending on the station and your set's overscan. It's the visual representation of some of the information carried on a TV signal that's not normally supposed to be seen.

It only shows up in the upconversion of analog programming on a digital signal. That's why you don't see it all the time.
post #1190 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

max, what were you watching at the time? I'm looking at both of them on my TWC here outside bowling green, and there's nothing. Tere is currently a MLB game on Fox, and college football on CBS, and both are in HD and look great.

post #1191 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videditor View Post

Buckeye just announced additional HD channels available October 1st!

NEW CHANNEL ADDITIONS in HDTV BASIC PAK:

Channel 622 Fox News HD

Channel 634 Hallmark Movie Channel

oh come on buckeye, add some channels that have quality programming!
post #1192 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuerst View Post

oh come on buckeye, add some channels that have quality programming!

This is fantastic news!! Fox News HD is an excellent addition.

I'll take Buckeye at 1920x1080 at low compression than Dish or DirectTV at 1440x1080 and a screen filled with artifacts.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #1193 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is your panel's overscan that is the issue. The lines are data that should be masked by your set.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #1194 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is your panel's overscan that is the issue. The lines are data that should be masked by your set.

Shouldn't the broadcaster be masking it as well, in the upconversion process? Locally, I know I NEVER see it on some stations, but always on others.

And I blame my set at least a little...there's no way, at all, to adjust the overscan on my set (32" cheap Westinghouse LCD).

I'm pretty sure that the stations can filter this out on their end, though...just not all of 'em do. It is probably just not a high priority for them, because many viewers can't even see it.
post #1195 of 1953 Old 09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

max, what were you watching at the time? I'm looking at both of them on my TWC here outside bowling green, and there's nothing. Tere is currently a MLB game on Fox, and college football on CBS, and both are in HD and look great.

This problem never shows up on true HD shows.

It's a side effect of the upconversion of analog programming to digital. The lines represent data that's being carried along on the analog signal (and show up, on an analog set, if you mess with the vertical hold, or horizontal hold, I can't remember which since it's been roughly 20 years since I had to use such controls on a TV set!).

Details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_blanking_interval

Quote:

In analog television systems the vertical blanking interval can be used to carry digital data, since nothing sent during the VBI is displayed on the screen; various test signals, time codes, closed captioning, teletext, CGMS-A copy-protection indicators, and various data encoded by the XDS protocol (e.g., the content ratings for V-chip use) and other digital data can be sent during this time period.

post #1196 of 1953 Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:

When watching channel 611 (CBS HD) or 636 (FOX HD) on Buckeye CableSystem, I'll see white lines at the very top of the screen flickering.

Max...Think of the white dashes as TV METADATA. Ok this goes back to my analog schooling...NTSC is 720x486...but not lines are visible on a CRT . I forget the exact numbers, but remove a few lines V & H and the visable picture is about 709x 468. In those vertical lines,"white dashes", are timecode info and closed captioning among others. In the CRT world, those lines are hidden by the tv sets mountings and enclosures. We even have an "underscan" mode on our monitors, where we can see all that stuff.
In the LCD age, not to leave out quicktime & windows media files, all the lines are visible. Which means we editors have to be careful in those areas where we use to hide stuff.
You may not have to adjust your set... there are many ways for the enginerring staff to make dubs of shows and reveal the VI lines. If it's in the upconverting, what goes in will come out. The stations don't filter this out, it's probably a poorly routed/recorded analog signal where the VI was shifted and recorded that way.
Hope this helps, along with the other postings

VE
post #1197 of 1953 Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 AM

I just looked at the upcoming schedule for the Hallmark Movie Channel... and WHAT A WASTE!!! Seriously, Buckeye, why even bother? Are you guys just trying to pad your numbers to say you have more HD channels? Where's USA/Sci-Fi HD and PPV in HD?
post #1198 of 1953 Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the answers guys!

Jason Hansen

post #1199 of 1953 Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well guys, I postponed my install for D* again. After reading more on AVS about the latest HD DVR's, the HR22's, I called Ar's and Yours Satellite and Cable, and he told me they weren't able to get HR22's yet because D* has a bunch of HR21's to get rid of before they give the HR22's to installers. I didn't want to get HR21's with smaller hard drives and have a hard time upgrading after I was a customer, so I told them to wait until they could get the HR22's. He said probably in 3 weeks. Anyone have any other suggestions for me, or should I wait for 3 weeks and get the HR22's through the installer?

Thanks,
Mark

post #1200 of 1953 Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Someone over at CW really messed up last night. I watch Smallville on channel 605 - HD (Buckeye CableSystem) & the picture was squished. While it appeared to be in HD, it was letterbox'ed & everyone looked shorter/wider. I'm glad last weeks season premiere looked excellent. I hope they correct this for next Thursday.

Jason Hansen

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page