Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1952 Old 01-07-2005, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess we should probably call regarding the NBC24 issue. As for the NBA issue I don't get the subscription notice anymore but when I attempt to go to that channel it just freezes. I suspect that's because nothing is being broadcast at the time. There was a point that I was getting a "show" that wasn't a game. That was just one evening. Nothing since then. I've yet to see a game and one night when the Cavs were supposed to be on there was nothing. The NBA-HD schedule shows a game tomorrow night at 7PM so I'll make a note to check then.
If you're still getting a subscription notice or one that says "not authorized" I'd call and complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1952 Old 01-07-2005, 10:44 AM

I called buckeye.
They said that 624 was on now, and did not know there was a problem yesterday.
I forgot to mention that my Voom was also having problems with NBC-HD, so it was probably a digital thing.

They also said the NBA channel is on only for scheduled games and they will be changing the message to reflect that.
post #123 of 1952 Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM

>>They said that 624 was on now<< It is. Thanks.

>>They also said the NBA channel is on only for scheduled games and they will be changing the message to reflect that.<<

The message says "One Moment Please - Your station should be available shortly". We'll have to remember tomorrow night at 7PM to see if the game airs.
post #124 of 1952 Old 01-09-2005, 07:40 AM

Not sure I understand the NBA-HD channel. The studio show is an HD produced show, with SD material inserted-much like ESPNHD. So why the downtime on Buckeye? Is BCS carring NBAHD part-time a perk they got for carring the analog version of the channel? ALso I ended up tuning in last night about 50min before airtime. The channel was up & running- we were watching pre-production tapings, graphic builds, etc. Seems they leave the channel open for about an hour or so after the end of the game-back to their HD Studio show.
post #125 of 1952 Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 AM

Hey Guys, IF you are interested in getting ESPNHD2 on Buckeye Cable (it's currently avail to systems) then write into: askus@cablesystem.com and request the channel. They do follow customers requests and number of requests. In fact the ANIMIE (sp) channel had a group that wrote in consistantly for a few months before BCS signed them on. You actually do this for any of the channels you want them to add, as mentioned in the a few of the prev. posts.
post #126 of 1952 Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 AM

Hey Guys, IF you are interested in getting ESPNHD2 on Buckeye Cable (it's currently avail to systems) then write into: askus@cablesystem.com and request the channel. They do follow customers requests and number of requests. In fact the ANIMIE (sp) channel had a group that wrote in consistantly for a few months before BCS signed them on. You actually do this for any of the channels you want them to add, as mentioned in the a few of the prev. posts.
post #127 of 1952 Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 AM

>>then write into: askus@cablesystem.com and request the channel<<

Done!
post #128 of 1952 Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 AM

I recorded "24" on Fox last night @ 9:00.
When I went to watch it I could not fast forward or rewind.
It was not my box, i tried other recordings, just 24.
When the time line came up it showed the 0/ (international symbol for NO!)
line in circle.
Could the network have put in place technology from stopping us from skipping commercials?
Anyone else have this happen, or not, with the show 24?
post #129 of 1952 Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 AM

Has anyone else been still experiencing audio issues on 633 WGTE? Seems some programming is silent while other shows no problem. When I called awhile back they said they knew of the issue and were working on it. Seems like it should have been resolved by now.
post #130 of 1952 Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 AM

>>Could the network have put in place technology from stopping us from skipping commercials?
Anyone else have this happen, or not, with the show 24?<<

That would be scary. I certainly hope not. I doubt it though. Hopefully just an anomaly. You can bet I'll check when I get home though.
post #131 of 1952 Old 01-18-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KentStater72
I recorded "24" on Fox last night @ 9:00.
When I went to watch it I could not fast forward or rewind.
It was not my box, i tried other recordings, just 24.
When the time line came up it showed the 0/ (international symbol for NO!)
line in circle.
Could the network have put in place technology from stopping us from skipping commercials?
Anyone else have this happen, or not, with the show 24?

I also have had this "problem" with That 70's Show, twice now. I have not recorded 24, but will try it this next week. If I remember correctly, I can't rewind, fast forward, replay or 30 sec skip, very annoying, especially when I miss something...

On a different note, Three very good friends of mine in toledo, just went HD, two got Sony Wega's RP LCD, a 50 in, and 60, and the other guy got a 65in mitsu! My puny 42 will no longer draw the football/Movie crowds... How much are the 70 inchers?
post #132 of 1952 Old 01-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Damn! You're right! I DVR'd 24 last night as well and I too get the same little symbol and the inability to FF or REW. This is not good. What's the use of having a DVR if this happens? Maybe time for some calls to Buckeye.
post #133 of 1952 Old 01-19-2005, 06:31 AM

Got an encouraging reply from the Chief Engineer at WUPW Fox:

"I don't know of anything in our DTV stream that would cause that. However, we are hearing of new things every day! Let me know if you have any more problems or find what caused that to happen. We see a lot of problems that are caused by a byte or 2 just getting missed. "

I hope this is just an anomaly as he suggests. Let's hope so. I also sent an email to Buckeye so we'll see what their response is as well.
post #134 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 02:48 AM

Well, had the same experience last night with recording Point Pleasant on Fox. Funny though. After PP I recorded the Fox local news and didn't have an issue. Apparently only with the primetime or HD content. Fortunately haven't had this issue on any other networks.
Sent off emails to Fox and Buckeye. Waiting for replies.
post #135 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 07:00 AM

OK I'll come clean. I recorded "American Idol" on FOX last night- for my wife & daughter. Ok no more laughing or jokes at my expense. During replay we- I mean she - had no trouble fast forwarding that program. Just an FYI for establishing the track record of this bug.
post #136 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 AM

That's funny, I did not want to own up to recording "Malcolm in the Middle"

I have talked to two CSR's that are supposedly talking to the tech folks, but nothing yet.

This does not bode well for the value of the DVR.
If we are all being blocked from certain shows and not from others, it would appear that it is the network, and it is deliberate.
However, I posted this concern on the main AVS 6412 forum and received nothing but a suggestion to unplug the machine. So it may not be as universal as the network. (Buckeye?)

I want to record "That 70s Show" to see if there is continuity in this phenomena.

My brother is a station manager in Wisconsin (CBS), and he hates DVR's because of their potential to dig into sales revenue.
post #137 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 AM

Here's the response I got from Steve Crum, the Chief Engineer over at WUPW Fox Toledo:
Thanks Bob.

I'll see if I can get anything out of FOX.

Steve

Steven D. Crum
Chief Engineer
WUPW-FOX Toledo
WUPW DT
LIN Television
419-244-3600
post #138 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 AM

Since I can't claim any knowledge with regard to either Malcom in the Middle or American Idol I guess the logical question is were these programs in High Definition? If not, then we may be able to draw a hypothesis that the issue is only seen with High Definition content. Point Pleasant and 24 were High Def and we saw the issue. What's the verdict?
post #139 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM

I like your thinking, but That 70's show is not in High def, although I am recording the digital feed on the High def channel 636...

I am off to sit in on a Cable Card install on my friends new Grand Wega 60in... They said that they had to do a install appt. $50 later... We shall see what is so hard, that they needed an appt.
post #140 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 09:23 AM

MY American Idol recording was in HD, not just on the HD channel, but actually shot in HD.
As far as Buckeye, I can assure you they are just passing the signal along- no inserts. It's tough enough getting an HD signal thru the station master controls, let alone a cable co. messing with it. You've probably noticed that due to HD being streamed instead of video bandwidth, it's still hard for the stations to insert into a HD Stream locally. Most are still doing it manually.
post #141 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM

Just got back from the cable card install, it was a little more involved than I thought.

The install of the card is simple, and then a phone call was placed to Buckeye, where the installer proceeded to read back several numbers to buckeye in the TV's Service menu. This allowed for the additional programing that the customer ordered (ie the HD pack). This process is a little involved if someone does not know what to look for. I can see why they want an installer to come out.

Channels look great, tuning is slow. (I guess about the same as the box if you channel flip.)

The TV has a built in guide, but so far there is no information in it except for the channel. Does anyone else here have a cable card, and do you get information like the description of the show, or at least a title? I'll check later and see if the info takes a while to download.
post #142 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 PM

>>Does anyone else here have a cable card<< Nope. And actually I didn't even know that Buckeye had them. Thanks for the update.
By the way, if you're home tonight between 5 and 6PM you may get an opportunity to see me being interviewed by Jim Carey of 13ABC News. He came by my house this morning to interview me about my son's website, www.showoursupport.com which in this last week has been gaining in a lot of popularity. They asked if they could do a news story. Being that Jeff is in Columbus preparing for mid-terms they decided to do it from the angle of the "proud father". Quite an experience. Jeff's site was also featured this morning on the front page of the Ohio State University newspaper, The Lantern. The electronic version is here: http://www.thelantern.com/news/2005/...s-836654.shtml
Have to say, this has been an interesting day.
post #143 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 PM

Congratulations to you and your son, it is a very noble thing to do.

Check your link in the body of your message though, there is a comma.

-Chris
-Supporter #3840
post #144 of 1952 Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 PM

>>there is a comma<<

Thanks. Fixed that. Freaky watching myself on TV tonight. Got to use the DVR.

Back to the topic. I'm beginning to think the issue with Fox is a data stream issue. I just noticed that the "24" I recorded didn't have an episode description with the recording. Obviously something was wrong if that was blank. Tried recording "OC" tonight as a test and that went OK.
post #145 of 1952 Old 01-21-2005, 12:54 PM

FW2

Congrats, you must be proud of what your son has accomplished.

RE: "24" I think we need to wait and find out if it happens again with the same shows.
No word back from Buckeye on my inquiries.
post #146 of 1952 Old 01-25-2005, 08:49 AM

Just watched Simpson's from Sunday, last night, and I was unable to ff or rew. So other shows are having this problem.

I think we have traced it to ONLY Fox, correct?

Also, I have had some serious problems lately, where the box locks up, the time is still displaying when the box locked up, the power button was noneffective, I had to unplug it to get it back.

Any one else? I am about ready to get another box from buckeye.
post #147 of 1952 Old 01-25-2005, 09:10 AM

I do not know the details, but my wife said she had a similar problem with the box freezing. I'll post back if it happens when I am around.

RE: the ongoing situation with no FF-RWD.

It does appear to be FOX only

I was watching 24 live last night and went back a few minutes, and then caught up with the 30 sec. skip. But after the show I played it to check it out and it was again only allowing me to play. No FF or RWD.

Very interesting!
post #148 of 1952 Old 01-25-2005, 11:08 AM

Has anybody else been having issues with audio dropouts while watching HD on Buckeye Cable? The sound will go completely silent for about a second or so, and then everything will be back to normal. It happens maybe 4-5 times during an hour long show. Seems to happen on different channels, too.

I'm using the Motorola 6412. Thanks for any input!!
post #149 of 1952 Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Yes. More annoying than anything else. Saw it last night a few times on "24". What's more annoying though is they haven't been able to fix the issue with the complete loss of audio on 633 WGTE). I realize it's not the High Def channel but it is digital. Some shows have audio but most don't. They keep saying they're working on it.
post #150 of 1952 Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Guys,
Watched "24" tonight... ALL DVR controls worked fine. FYI
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page