post #1741 of 1953 Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 View Post

Anyone else notice or are having issues with their dvr , when recording some programs, cutting off the end of the program early and even sometimes starting a program late? Been getting worse lately. I got the Pace 787x dvr. I'm not talking about when a show runs over (like a football game or something).

How late? If its just a few seconds or two, thats normal. If you're talking about a minute or more, it could be your dvr's clock. Pull the power plug, let it sit for a few minutes, then plug it back in. That will re-sync the clocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1953 Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

How late? If its just a few seconds or two, thats normal. If you're talking about a minute or more, it could be your dvr's clock. Pull the power plug, let it sit for a few minutes, then plug it back in. That will re-sync the clocks.

More like a minute or two. I will try unplugging it. Thanks!
post #1743 of 1953 Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM

Can anyone recommend an outdoor antenna for West Toledo? I definitely want to get the Toledo stations in rock-solid, but getting Detroit stations would be nice (if possible).

I have been living in Chicago for the last two years, and got addicted to using Windows Media Center with an antenna. I hooked up my Winegard SS-3000 inside, but it was not pulling in the Toledo stations very consistently.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
post #1744 of 1953 Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe you have to point the antenna to the east to get Toledo stations. Thats where the transmitters are.
post #1745 of 1953 Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM

I have the antenna pointed East, and can pick up the channels some of the time, but not consistently. They frequently get pixelated and/or cut out entirely. There are a lot of trees around here, which I think is part of the problem. I think an outdoor antenna should solve the problem, but don't know which one(s) to look at.
post #1746 of 1953 Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 AM

I found a better spot in the house, and I can now reliably pick up the Toledo stations. I'd still rather switch to an outdoor model, as where I have the antenna currently is not terribly convenient. Any recommendations?

Also, is picking up the Detroit stations an option or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks!
post #1747 of 1953 Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub75 View Post

I found a better spot in the house, and I can now reliably pick up the Toledo stations. I'd still rather switch to an outdoor model, as where I have the antenna currently is not terribly convenient. Any recommendations?

Also, is picking up the Detroit stations an option or is that a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Detroit is probably going to be difficult. I live only 30 miles south of Toledo and the channels are really hard to pick up here and you're probably 60 miles or farther away from Detroit? I wouldn't count on it but it's possible. I listen to the Detroit radio station 89x every single day so there's hope.
post #1748 of 1953 Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Anybody know what's going on with Fox Toledo? I'm watching on TWC in Napoleon and all I'm seeing is a black screen. Everything okay over there at 4 Seagate?
post #1749 of 1953 Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kHztone View Post

Anybody know what's going on with Fox Toledo? I'm watching on TWC in Napoleon and all I'm seeing is a black screen. Everything okay over there at 4 Seagate?

Possibly just Time Warner's fault, I'm not sure but it's working now.
post #1750 of 1953 Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM

Liked: 22
The Blade had an ad in it today that said Buckeye was finally releasing that DVR software upgrade they promised a while ago. Still not seeing anything though. Anyone get it?
post #1751 of 1953 Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 AM

It depends on many variables, mostly on how much cash you want to spend.

I am in Bryan, OH and pull Detriot in without any issues. (90 Miles)

Run a TVFool report for your address and post it.

If you are lost, just PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post

Detroit is probably going to be difficult. I live only 30 miles south of Toledo and the channels are really hard to pick up here and you're probably 60 miles or farther away from Detroit? I wouldn't count on it but it's possible. I listen to the Detroit radio station 89x every single day so there's hope.

post #1752 of 1953 Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

The Blade had an ad in it today that said Buckeye was finally releasing that DVR software upgrade they promised a while ago. Still not seeing anything though. Anyone get it?

We received the update this afternoon on our Motorola box.

The Pace box still has the old software on it.

First impression is that the new software is much faster than the old. I just wish both machines had it!
post #1753 of 1953 Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have a list of what this new upgrade does? Do we finally get internet scheduling? The only thing I noticed different is the dvr shows are now in folders.

I got my update this morning, although I had no sound coming out of the box. I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get sound.
post #1754 of 1953 Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM

No internet scheduling as far as I know. There more options under the DVR menu. Looks like we can delete groups of shows all at once. Check out the search function it's a big improvement too.
post #1755 of 1953 Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 PM

On a plane right now on the way home from Orlando and their local stations syndicate shows like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond in HD. I thought that was interesting because I have never seen in before and all of their local news broadcasts are also in HD. It just seems like they're so far ahead of us.
post #1756 of 1953 Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post

On a plane right now on the way home from Orlando and their local stations syndicate shows like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond in HD. I thought that was interesting because I have never seen in before and all of their local news broadcasts are also in HD. It just seems like they're so far ahead of us.

Yeah, it would be nice to see the locals do more HD. Seinfeld in HD on TBS looks great, better than I would have expected for a show filmed 4:3 in low-def.
post #1757 of 1953 Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU FASTR View Post

Yeah, it would be nice to see the locals do more HD. Seinfeld in HD on TBS looks great, better than I would have expected for a show filmed 4:3 in low-def.

It was shot on film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinfeld#Seinfeld_in_HD
post #1758 of 1953 Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Kocis View Post
And cropped for 16:9 but it still looks fantastic in HD. A lot better than most shows look today. MTV for some reason likes to waste bandwidth with their MTV "HD" channel which consists of letterboxed widescreen shows and sidebar 4:3 shows. I hate MTV.
post #1759 of 1953 Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Different topic: I am new member here and have been reading a lot. Currently with Buckeye and driven crazy with the expense of cable. I have a Motorola DVR DCH 3416 and Pace DC 700x HD boxes rented from Buckeye at cost of about 33/month. Has anyone ever purchased a box that can be used with buckeye that has DVR capabilities that they use and like. I read earlier post about the Moxi system, but this is to much for my small wallet. Any thought about picking up a similar box off ebay etc??? Would that work. Does Buckeye let you do that??
post #1760 of 1953 Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Spanglers View Post

Different topic: I am new member here and have been reading a lot. Currently with Buckeye and driven crazy with the expense of cable. I have a Motorola DVR DCH 3416 and Pace DC 700x HD boxes rented from Buckeye at cost of about 33/month. Has anyone ever purchased a box that can be used with buckeye that has DVR capabilities that they use and like. I read earlier post about the Moxi system, but this is to much for my small wallet. Any thought about picking up a similar box off ebay etc??? Would that work. Does Buckeye let you do that??

I'm not sure if they would try to charge you a lease fee when you try to activate the box but I can tell you that DirecTV does, you can't own their equipment. Anyway there's always Tivo but that's expensive too.
post #1761 of 1953 Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

TiVo may be a good option for you. They've recently rolled out a $0 down/$19.99/month with 2 year commitment plan. There are other options as well but the deal I mention gets you a new TiVo Premier box and a TiVo subscription. In addition, TiVo offers the ability to stream numerous video services most notably - Netflix. The new Premier boxes will also stream some muic services such as Pandora.
Of course, you still need to rent a CableCard from Buckeye for somewhere between $3 and $6/month to stick inside the TiVo box which will allow you to receive the Buckeye programming you subscribe to. The worst part of that is that Buckeye refuses to allow you to install the CableCard yourself - which your grandmother could easily do. They insist on a truck roll. Last I knew, the cost of the truck roll was $50. It was $100 when I had to do it.
All told though, it is a good option for some - and allows you to ditch those expensive DVR boxes from Buckeye which, last I knew, don't stream anything. And, the TiVo user interface is hands down the simplest thing on the planet to use. IMHO of course.
post #1762 of 1953 Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

I appreciate your quick responses, but I would have actually pay more than I do now right. Both HD boxes, (1 with DVR) run about 38+/month currently with Buckeye. With TIVO it would be 40/mo, plus additional fee to Buckeye for set up and a monthly fee. I already have the ability to stream using my TV and appreciate the nice TIVO interface, but do not think that it worth the expense for me. Any thoughts about the idea purchasing a used Motorola DVR box and investing in the up front expense, but then owning it, and not having to rent from Buckeye every month?
post #1763 of 1953 Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I appreciate your quick responses, but I would have actually pay more than I do now right. Both HD boxes, (1 with DVR) run about 38+/month currently with Buckeye. With TIVO it would be 40/mo, plus additional fee to Buckeye for set up and a monthly fee. I already have the ability to stream using my TV and appreciate the nice TIVO interface, but do not think that it worth the expense for me. Any thoughts about the idea purchasing a used Motorola DVR box and investing in the up front expense, but then owning it, and not having to rent from Buckeye every month?

I'm guessing that Buckeye would not allow that. They want (and need) to have control over the devices connected to their system. A bad device can actually cause big time problems for the customers of an entire area. I speak from experience. A few years back, some jackass in my neighborhood was stealing cable service. Whatever the device was that he had connected was causing me (and others) to have no phone or Internet service. (I'm a VIP bundle customer) Cable worked but that was it. This went on for nearly 10 days before Buckeye could figure out what was going on. Personally, I believe such people deserve capital punishment. But that's just me.
Even if they would allow you to connect a foreign device, what happens if you need service on the device? I'm sure Buckeye would not service it.
post #1764 of 1953 Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM

If you went the Tivo route you'd still have to rent the cable cards from Buckeye so it may not be a very good option.
post #1765 of 1953 Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You could buy a tv tuner for your computer. The downside is you can only record local HD channels and basic cable, up to channel 80 or whatever.
post #1766 of 1953 Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

You could buy a tv tuner for your computer. The downside is you can only record local HD channels and basic cable, up to channel 80 or whatever.

But there would be no cable box or cable card fees. I saw that Dish Network has no receiver fees for the first 2 receivers, 1 being a HD DVR I think.
post #1767 of 1953 Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Any thoughts about the idea purchasing a used Motorola DVR box and investing in the up front expense, but then owning it, and not having to rent from Buckeye every month?

You can't do that, Buckeye won't activate any box they don't supply. The only option is a TiVo or Moxi.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1768 of 1953 Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Took a survey over the phone last night about my cable TV service. It was obvious by the questions they asked that Buckeye was behind it. There were a ton of questions about cell phone service. Enough to lead me to believe Buckeye is considering offering some kind of wireless service.
post #1769 of 1953 Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 AM

I am pretty sick of paying 130 a month to have a box in one room and a 10 mb line when I see other cable companies offering 120 a month for 2 boxes and a 15 mb line with 5 mb upload. Buckeye is the biggest monopoly in this area. When Verizon releases the LTE network in this area, I am really going to consider my options.

What really even makes me more mad about Buckeye is that they are offering new line of service contracts double the speed of their existing customers...I pay 45$ a month for 10 mb while new customers pay the same for 20 mb. It is time to fine an alternative. I hate AT&T, but I would be willing to move to Uverse with this price gouging.
post #1770 of 1953 Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post

I am pretty sick of paying 130 a month to have a box in one room and a 10 mb line when I see other cable companies offering 120 a month for 2 boxes and a 15 mb line with 5 mb upload. Buckeye is the biggest monopoly in this area. When Verizon releases the LTE network in this area, I am really going to consider my options.

What really even makes me more mad about Buckeye is that they are offering new line of service contracts double the speed of their existing customers...I pay 45$ a month for 10 mb while new customers pay the same for 20 mb. It is time to fine an alternative. I hate AT&T, but I would be willing to move to Uverse with this price gouging.

I'm not wild about my bill either ($184/month - VIP Bundle but NO premium services, 2 non-DVR boxes and 2 CableCards) and I'd take a serious look at the competition (if there was any) BUT I also keep the service factor in mind. Buckeye is there 365/24/7. I can't say enough bad about AT&T and Verizon is an unknown regarding cable/land line/Internet service - at least to me.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page