Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 1952 Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
CBET is fine just East of Temperance (3.5 miles North of the state line), but there is not much headroom, the antenna (CM 3020, about 32' up, no amp) usually needs to be aimed at McGregor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1952 Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

CBET is fine just East of Temperance (3.5 miles North of the state line), but there is not much headroom, the antenna (CM 3020, about 32' up, no amp) usually needs to be aimed at McGregor.

I would hope so that antenna is HUGE. I would love to mess around with one like that but there's no way I'm putting a 10 foot antenna on my roof just to play with. So I'm guessing you get all the Detroit/Toledo locals too?
post #1863 of 1952 Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 AM

Hope Buckeye doesn't try to pull this crap. I'd drop them in a second.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...paign=20111202
post #1864 of 1952 Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 View Post

Hope Buckeye doesn't try to pull this crap. I'd drop them in a second.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...paign=20111202

It's just some guy predicting it. That would be a HUGE step backwards.

As it gets cheaper and cheaper for broadband companies to provide us broadband (deploying it and increasing speed) their prices just keep going up. Broadband IS NOT FINITE, so why put a cap on a home connection? It's not like it's going to dry up and run out some day...

I get it, it's all about maximizing profit and they don't care how many customers they have to screw because usually it's them or the DSL company.
post #1865 of 1952 Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/new/

9 new HD channels, and not a single one of them I would ever watch...
post #1866 of 1952 Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 AM

DIY is cool, looks like we are just hitting the end of main stream channels, so now its the outlying HD channels left to add.
post #1867 of 1952 Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/new/

9 new HD channels, and not a single one of them I would ever watch...

Well, speaking only for myself, seeing as how Food Network has largely ceased to be about cooking and more like Reality TV (which I despise) I'm glad to see The Cooking Channel HD.
post #1868 of 1952 Old 12-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNLUVINIT View Post

Well, speaking only for myself, seeing as how Food Network has largely ceased to be about cooking and more like Reality TV (which I despise) I'm glad to see The Cooking Channel HD.

Sounds like MTV.
post #1869 of 1952 Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
More HD is always a good thing unless bits are rationed (which I don't believe is done by BEX with HD)

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #1870 of 1952 Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Liked: 22
Looks like Buckeye is upping their game a bit:

Quote:

Buckeye CableSystem has some big plans for 2012, say both Mefferd and Jensen, and the year shapes up to look like this:

Finishing its evaluation of whole-home solutions, including final tests with a DVR vendor

Offering additional content on the IP side

A major upgrade of the network that will result in an eight-fold increase in capacity

Expanding the SD tier from 8 QAM, and integrating its VOD and switched digital capabilities to one platform that fits both

Separating DOCSIS 2.0 and DOCSIS 3.0 subscribers

Adding such hosted services as a unified messaging portal and single-number follow me calling

Adding Caller ID and billing options onto the TV

More EBIF applications

TV Everywhere functionality with iPads

Continued work with Rovi to develop a better guide

Increasing the speed of the Buckeye Express offering

Buckeye is a true operator in every sense of the word, Mefferd concludes. We care about the community and the people we serve, and we are dedicated to first-class service.

Besides bolstering its employee roster, Buckeye is focusing on growing its high-speed data services and more voice along with some new commercial accounts; during the last 12 months, it has enhanced its SIP-based services and hosted stations, Jensen notes, adding, Ethernet has grown by leaps and bounds along with colocation and storage. Moving forward, Buckeye is preparing for the soft launch of wireless service via an agreement with Sprint.

We are going to launch first in the commercial sector under the name Blue Mobile because we are starting out with no storefronts and no inventory, Jensen says. We also will offer hotspots around Toledo and covering the park where the Mud Hens play.

post #1871 of 1952 Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM

(Not really an HDTV issue - but, posted here, since there is no "OTA-Toledo" thread)

WTOL, who had replaced their new/weather loop on subchannel 11.2 several days ago with a silent radar graphic, has flipped to "Me TV", with vintage television series shows.

By my observation so far, IMHO, it offers a better line of programs than RTV ever did.
post #1872 of 1952 Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

(Not really an HDTV issue - but, posted here, since there is no "OTA-Toledo" thread)

WTOL, who had replaced their new/weather loop on subchannel 11.2 several days ago with a silent radar graphic, has flipped to "Me TV", with vintage television series shows.

By my observation so far, IMHO, it offers a better line of programs than RTV ever did.

I would honestly rather just watch the radar. But I guess you can just look at WTVG's 13.3 (or is it 13.2?).
post #1873 of 1952 Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

(Not really an HDTV issue - but, posted here, since there is no "OTA-Toledo" thread).

If there was enough usage for a separate OTA topic, we'd create one. With smaller TV markets a single topic is typically more than enough.

Toledo is roughly the 73rd largest TV market. To find another TV market with more than a single topic you have to jump up 20 spots to the 53 largest.

So, even though the title is misleading, feel free to discuss all local DTV issues here.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1874 of 1952 Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Buckeye selects Arris for whole home solutions:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/14/433...cts-arris.html
post #1875 of 1952 Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Does anyone actually get WLMB OTA? I'm just curious because I've never picked it up here and my brother lives in Perrysburg and he doesn't get it there either. I remember when I was little I could receive PAX OTA because I didn't have cable in my room so I just hooked up some rabbit ears and it came in.

It must be a clear night because I am getting PBS and ABC Detroit.
CBS Toledo doesn't come in and ABC Toledo is pixelated but ABC and CBS Lima come in fine.
post #1876 of 1952 Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post

Does anyone actually get WLMB OTA? I'm just curious because I've never picked it up here and my brother lives in Perrysburg and he doesn't get it there either. I remember when I was little I could receive PAX OTA because I didn't have cable in my room so I just hooked up some rabbit ears and it came in.

It must be a clear night because I am getting PBS and ABC Detroit.
CBS Toledo doesn't come in and ABC Toledo is pixelated but ABC and CBS Lima come in fine.

I'm gonna guess you are using an indoor antenna.

WLMB is a rare VHF-lowband DTV station, their RF channel (the channel on which they actually send out their signal) is channel 5.

For all intents and purposes, receiving WLMB anywhere requires an outdoor antenna. Even if their electromagnetic waves (about 12 feet long) can penetrate your house, the gadgets in a typical 21st century home produce enough RFI to jam it (you may think of low-VHF DTV as being like AM radio in this regard).

My antenna on a chimney 24 miles from WLMB works fine unless the antenna is aimed away from them. The funnier case is with some relatives of mine who live just north of Carleton, about 35 miles from WLMB. Their antenna is a big "wedge" model that dates back to about 1970. It has lost most of its elements to the weather over the decades, and cannot get most of the Detroit nor Toledo stations - but it does get WLMB!

If you are near North Baltimore, you are 40-45 miles from WLMB, and WLMB is only 10kW on a 500' tower (half as tall as most TV towers around here). You would need a directional antenna designed for all channels (or a rare lowband VHF yagi) - both would be relatively large antennas, and it would have to be outdoors and at some height (maybe 30'/9m or so). You might find it is not worth the bother. Most of the programming is religion (exception being vintage sitcoms in afternoons). Pax is now Ion and WLMB is not affiliated with Ion today.
post #1877 of 1952 Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna guess you are using an indoor antenna.

WLMB is a rare VHF-lowband DTV station, their RF channel (the channel on which they actually send out their signal) is channel 5.

For all intents and purposes, receiving WLMB anywhere requires an outdoor antenna. Even if their electromagnetic waves (about 12 feet long) can penetrate your house, the gadgets in a typical 21st century home produce enough RFI to jam it (you may think of low-VHF DTV as being like AM radio in this regard).

My antenna on a chimney 24 miles from WLMB works fine unless the antenna is aimed away from them. The funnier case is with some relatives of mine who live just north of Carleton, about 35 miles from WLMB. Their antenna is a big "wedge" model that dates back to about 1970. It has lost most of its elements to the weather over the decades, and cannot get most of the Detroit nor Toledo stations - but it does get WLMB!

If you are near North Baltimore, you are 40-45 miles from WLMB, and WLMB is only 10kW on a 500' tower (half as tall as most TV towers around here). You would need a directional antenna designed for all channels (or a rare lowband VHF yagi) - both would be relatively large antennas, and it would have to be outdoors and at some height (maybe 30'/9m or so). You might find it is not worth the bother. Most of the programming is religion (exception being vintage sitcoms in afternoons). Pax is now Ion and WLMB is not affiliated with Ion today.

I'm really not concerned with getting it at all. I never watch it and I get it through DirecTV but I thought about it some more and you're right. It's a low power station and relatively far away but it's also low-VHF so it's hard to get anyway.
post #1878 of 1952 Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL1965 View Post

Well, "Raycheap" (Raycom) does it again. WUPW's operations have now been merged with WTOL's, the result of American Spirit Media LLC acquiring the station from LIN Media. The deal was made final this past Friday. And with this merger via a shared services agreement, the news shows on WUPW are now in HD (previously, WUPW was the last remaining station in Toledo whose newscasts weren't in either HD or widescreen SD).

I noticed the new anchor and set at 11:00pm but it was still in 480i.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #1879 of 1952 Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I noticed the new anchor and set at 11:00pm but it was still in 480i.

I stand corrected. When American Spirit Media took ownership of WUPW, master control was transferred to a backup set at the WTOL facility, which currently isn't HD- or widescreen-capable (WTOL itself currently has HD news but does not air syndicated HD-produced programming in either HD or widescreen). The upgrade to HD will be complete once WTOL upgrades the master control used for WUPW in the coming months.
post #1880 of 1952 Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Yellow all, everytime I watch American Idol on fox (in HD) with a surround sound, it seems my audio is always cutting out for second every five minutes.
Very annoying. Anyone else notice this? Never noticed this on any other channel.
post #1881 of 1952 Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Buckeye selects Arris for whole home solutions:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/14/433...cts-arris.html

This is now available, and it is a HUGE improvement in terms of guide and functionality...
post #1882 of 1952 Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

This is now available, and it is a HUGE improvement in terms of guide and functionality...

Are you saying its being offered already... I heard thru a installer about 1+ month ago that employees were testing it and it would roll out soon, but have not seen mention of it on the website or billing yet... Any details on pricing? Thanks
post #1883 of 1952 Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcsi99 View Post

Are you saying its being offered already... I heard thru a installer about 1+ month ago that employees were testing it and it would roll out soon, but have not seen mention of it on the website or billing yet... Any details on pricing? Thanks

$28 for the main box, $5 for individual TV boxes, per month of course.

We've had struggles with the system so far. We actually have a guy coming out today to look at it. Constant video skipping, internet issues are non-stop.

I like the functionality (and it's much cheaper than the DVRs we had), but if it can't be sorted out, it may be ditched.
post #1884 of 1952 Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:

$28 for the main box, $5 for individual TV boxes, per month of course.

We've had struggles with the system so far. We actually have a guy coming out today to look at it. Constant video skipping, internet issues are non-stop.

I like the functionality (and it's much cheaper than the DVRs we had), but if it can't be sorted out, it may be ditched.

Hmmm.. 28 main box.. I am not sure what I pay now for that... Guess will have to see when they roll out. I know a couple months ago I priced out a second HD box (non-dvr) and they quoted me 3 times, 3 different prices from 12-16 per month... no thanks... but if I can do 2 boxes for what I pay now I'll be in for that. As is my bill is too much with VIP pricing (170 month)... Every 6 months I reevaluate cutting cable and phone...
post #1885 of 1952 Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM

Just a note. We had a tech out to fix a mountain of issues were having, and he told us that next month, Buckeye will be implementing a data cap of 500GB per month. It'll be $10 every 50GB after that. Letters will be sent to all customers.

Edit: It's more strict than that.

5MB down - 200GB cap
15 - 250
25 - 350
35 - 400
60 - 500
100 - 1000
post #1886 of 1952 Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcsi99 View Post

Hmmm.. 28 main box.. I am not sure what I pay now for that... Guess will have to see when they roll out. I know a couple months ago I priced out a second HD box (non-dvr) and they quoted me 3 times, 3 different prices from 12-16 per month... no thanks... but if I can do 2 boxes for what I pay now I'll be in for that. As is my bill is too much with VIP pricing (170 month)... Every 6 months I reevaluate cutting cable and phone...

DVRs should be $15 a month. That's what we were paying.
post #1887 of 1952 Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Just a note. We had a tech out to fix a mountain of issues were having, and he told us that next month, Buckeye will be implementing a data cap of 500GB per month. It'll be $10 every 50GB after that. Letters will be sent to all customers.

Edit: It's more strict than that.

5MB down - 200GB cap
15 - 250
25 - 350
35 - 400
60 - 500
100 - 1000

I need to find a different ISP to boycott this problem. This cap is absolutely ridiculous. I don't care if other ISP's have been doing this too.....I stuck with buckeye because they always have been unlimited and never cared what I was doing with my connection. This is nothing more than another company who is monopolizing the market for them to make more profit off of a dumb consumer base. This is a complete scam. If I could find a way to sue them for monopolizing the market, I would in a heart beat.
post #1888 of 1952 Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post

I need to find a different ISP to boycott this problem. This cap is absolutely ridiculous. I don't care if other ISP's have been doing this too.....I stuck with buckeye because they always have been unlimited and never cared what I was doing with my connection. This is nothing more than another company who is monopolizing the market for them to make more profit off of a dumb consumer base. This is a complete scam. If I could find a way to sue them for monopolizing the market, I would in a heart beat.

Where else can you go? Any other local provider has caps, and I believe they're less than what Buckeye is offering, so you're boycotting one to land in the lap of another.

Plan of action? Buckeye needs City Council approval to do anything; expansion, lay new lines, etc. Call your council person. Tell them not to allow anything else.
post #1889 of 1952 Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Where else can you go?

Nowhere. Unless a company comes in and builds a network to compete with Buckeye shows up.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1890 of 1952 Old 05-13-2012, 04:37 PM

I never understand people when they say Buckeye CableSystem has a monopoly. Any company, Time Warner, Comacast, etc... can come in and build their own network to provide service. Most don't though because it's usually not cost effective while another MSO is entrenched within an area. Just like another city may be all Comcast, because no other company wants to overbuild. While I don't necessarily agree with bandwidth caps, unfortunately that is where all residential ISP's are headed.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page