AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashansen View Post

I never understand people when they say Buckeye CableSystem has a monopoly. Any company, Time Warner, Comacast, etc... can come in and build their own network to provide service.

They can only provide that service if the city/locality gives permission for use of its right-of-ways.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1953 Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

They can only provide that service if the city/locality gives permission for use of its right-of-ways.

- Trip

Exactly. And, in the case of Verizon who wanted to bring in FIOS, City Council said no. I'm sure Buckeye had a hand in that decision somehow.
post #1893 of 1953 Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

That's typically a thing of the past. Most municipalities have eliminated that kind of control over cable and video services.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1894 of 1953 Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Exactly. And, in the case of Verizon who wanted to bring in FIOS, City Council said no.

Really? Can you post a link or two regarding that? Thanks.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1895 of 1953 Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Exactly. And, in the case of Verizon who wanted to bring in FIOS, City Council said no. I'm sure Buckeye had a hand in that decision somehow.

Where is it stated that City Council said no to FIOS? Also, if Buckeye CableSystem had a hand in that decision, FIOS would have went further up the chain then stopping there.

"The Telecommunications Act of 1996 promised salvation by allowing competitors to "overbuild" on top of entrenched local cable companies. - SOURCE: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0416/144.html"

Yes, the article is old, but the facts remain the same.
post #1896 of 1953 Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 View Post

Yellow all, everytime I watch American Idol on fox (in HD) with a surround sound, it seems my audio is always cutting out for second every five minutes.
Very annoying. Anyone else notice this? Never noticed this on any other channel.

bump
post #1897 of 1953 Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds fine on d* here in Toledo for what it's worth.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #1898 of 1953 Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashansen View Post

I never understand people when they say Buckeye CableSystem has a monopoly. Any company, Time Warner, Comacast, etc... can come in and build their own network to provide service. Most don't though because it's usually not cost effective while another MSO is entrenched within an area. Just like another city may be all Comcast, because no other company wants to overbuild. While I don't necessarily agree with bandwidth caps, unfortunately that is where all residential ISP's are headed.

You cannot just come in and lay line. Good try though slick. AT&T is the biggest backbone in this country, but the government ruled them a monopoly and requires that they must lease out the lines. Buckeye is the same way, but on a smaller scale.
post #1899 of 1953 Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM

I guess i'm lucky. I live in Northwood and have access to Buckeye, Time Warner and U-Verse.
post #1900 of 1953 Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Both Buckeye AND Time Warner ran cable lines in your neighborhood? That's really uncommon but pretty cool.
post #1901 of 1953 Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post

Both Buckeye AND Time Warner ran cable lines in your neighborhood? That's really uncommon but pretty cool.

Yep. I had Buckeye from June 2007 till Sep 2010. Dumped them cause they weren't addinganymore HD channels and felt i was paying way to much. I tried calling one last time to tell them i was switching to TWC and the guy pretty much said "we can't compete with TWC prices." Have had very minimal issues with TW since then.
post #1902 of 1953 Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Kocis View Post

Yep. I had Buckeye from June 2007 till Sep 2010. Dumped them cause they weren't addinganymore HD channels and felt i was paying way to much. I tried calling one last time to tell them i was switching to TWC and the guy pretty much said "we can't compete with TWC prices." Have had very minimal issues with TW since then.

That sucks for Buckeye then because TWC is either the first or second largest cable provider in the US and I would imagine they would be able to undercut Buckeyes prices. I don't really understand why Buckeye would make the first move towards capping internet connections because as of now, TWC is still unlimited. I'd switch providers for that reason alone. TWC does a A LOT of HD channels though, but most of them came at once, I remember when all we had was HD Theater, TNT, TBS, and the locals in HD, that was it aside from premiums.
post #1903 of 1953 Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Kocis View Post

I guess i'm lucky. I live in Northwood and have access to Buckeye, Time Warner and U-Verse.

Same situation here in Perrysburg, although Buckeye still remains the better television option for the sports fan.

Time Warner doesn't carry Fox Sports Detroit or CBC (at least not when I was a subscriber), and U-Verse doesn't broadcast any Red Wings games unless they're shown on NBC.
post #1904 of 1953 Old 06-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa73 View Post

Same situation here in Perrysburg, although Buckeye still remains the better television option for the sports fan.
Time Warner doesn't carry Fox Sports Detroit or CBC (at least not when I was a subscriber), and U-Verse doesn't broadcast any Red Wings games unless they're shown on NBC.

All of Perrysburg? My brother lives in Perrysburg and I don't think TWC is available to him, only Buckeye. TWC used to carry CBC Windsor for the Bowling Green/North Baltimore area too but they dropped it about 3 years ago.
post #1905 of 1953 Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 AM

I see Buckeye posted a link on the new whole home gateway service on their website... it was discussed here months ago.

http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/gateway/

though I don't see pricing on it?
post #1906 of 1953 Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcsi99 View Post

I see Buckeye posted a link on the new whole home gateway service on their website... it was discussed here months ago.
http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/gateway/
though I don't see pricing on it?

A quick email to buckeye and its' only 8 bucks more for me (2 tv's on it) with an existing VIP package...I'm in.
post #1907 of 1953 Old 07-01-2012, 01:12 PM

I had to turn in one of my UEI Universal remotes and Buckeye gave me one that now lights up. Only issue is the codes I used to use for the 30 second skip don't work with this remote. The codes were, I believe
1) Hit cable button
2) Hold set up until it blinks twice
3) punch in 994 the light is supposed to blick twice (it doesnn't)
4) Hit set up once
5) hit code 00173 for to set 30 second skip
6) hit the buttone you want to code such as the yellow A button.

Doesn't work anymore with this new UEI remote. Once you start hitting 00173 or 173 it changes the channel.
What's the secret for this new remote. The older UEI remote was 1056B01. This one is 1056B03.
Thanks.
post #1908 of 1953 Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Does anyone out there have the Buckeye Media Gateway (BMG) installed in their home? I'm wondering how well this works, and whether there are any quality issues with the HD streaming from room to room.

Anyone have any thoughts on the BMG?

Thanks in advance!

Josh
post #1909 of 1953 Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa73 View Post

Does anyone out there have the Buckeye Media Gateway (BMG) installed in their home? I'm wondering how well this works, and whether there are any quality issues with the HD streaming from room to room.
Anyone have any thoughts on the BMG?
Thanks in advance!
Josh

I have it Josh on two TV's and no real issues. Since the software update a month+ or so ago its been pretty good. Love the 6 tuners and flexibility of watching programs on any tv...
post #1910 of 1953 Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcsi99 View Post

I have it Josh on two TV's and no real issues. Since the software update a month+ or so ago its been pretty good. Love the 6 tuners and flexibility of watching programs on any tv...

Hey JD, did you have to pay a install fee? Is the monthly fee higher the more tv's you add? Thanks
post #1911 of 1953 Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 View Post

Hey JD, did you have to pay a install fee? Is the monthly fee higher the more tv's you add? Thanks

Yea I think it was 25 or 30 for install -- which for me was mostly a box swap and add the boxes to the tv (no wire running or anything) I wanna say it was $8 more per tv.
post #1912 of 1953 Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM

Thanks!
post #1913 of 1953 Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Anybody have information about the Buckeye/WUPU 36 dispute?
post #1914 of 1953 Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

Anybody have information about the Buckeye/WUPU 36 dispute?

Pretty much what the Blade has been reporting. American Spirit bought WUPW, but let's Raycom (WTOL) operate it. WTOL has an agreement with Buckeye over what they charge Buckeye to re-transmit their signal. WUPW is now saying that since they are technically "the same station" as WTOL, Buckeye should pay the same amount to re-transmit their channel. That is obviously true for the news portion, however obviously FOX has completely different programming for the other 18 or so hours a day.

So, on one hand, you have WUPW asking Buckeye to pay the same amount as they do for WTOL even though the programming is not the same (and WUPW's ratings are way worse than WTOL's), and you have Buckeye who is unwilling to negotiate.

The whole thing is literally a lawyer battle over wording and technicalities in the contracts/agreements, which is NOT a good thing for the viewer, as it's going to take forever for the courts to decide who is right here.
post #1915 of 1953 Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This situation could last for some time. The seed for this fiasco was planted long ago in Toledo TV history and an FCC policy called "significantly viewed".

In this case, Buckeye is not under great pressure because dropping WUPW does not mean viewers lose Fox. Buckeye subscribers are getting Fox on cable 52, WJBK Detroit.

Toledoans have been watching Detroit TV for more than half a century. For ten years, Toledo had only one TV station (channel 13), whilst Detroit had four (five if Windsor is included 1954 and later).

This so affected viewing habits that it shaped the Toledo stations as well. All would eventually place their transmitters east of town, right up against Lake Erie. This is a stupid place to put them, as much of their signals are wasted over the lake, and overlapping the coverage of the Detroit stations, while places like Findlay have poor TV service. They had to put them there, because everyone's antennas were pointed at Detroit, and placing the transmitters in a more sensible location (e.g., near Bowling Green) would have resulted in ghosty reception in Toledo.

Now, remember that, or decades, Detroit had CBS on channel 2, NBC on 4, ABC on 7, a Canadian partial CBC affiliate on 9, and, from 1965, an independent on 50. All of these stations were given the "Significantly viewed" badge (see "Significantly viewed out of market TV stations in the United States" on Wikipedia), meaning that Buckeye can carry these stations, even though they are in another market.

Then, in 1994, there was the affiliation switch (Detroit was only one of several markets in this multi-year event), and 2 changed from CBS to Fox. Thus, Buckeye (and other Toledo-area cable systems) carry WJBK.

This situation could last until the time comes that Buckeye will have to renew their carriage agreement with WTOL. WTOL will probably demand that Buckeye carry WUPW (at a premium) along with WTOL. Buckeye will not be able to substitute Detroit's CBS station for WTOL. WWJ is not a "significantly viewed" station, because WGPR channel 62 was a black-owned independent with a poor signal in Toledo when the SV policy was being crafted. WTOL will have the upper hand unless Buckeye could convince CBS to abandon WTOL as their Toledo affiliate, allowing Buckeye to pick up "CBS 38", "40.2", or whoever. Buckeye has such penetration of the NW Ohio market that they may or may not be able to pull that off.
post #1916 of 1953 Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
In this case, Buckeye is not under great pressure because dropping WUPW does not mean viewers lose Fox. Buckeye subscribers are getting Fox on cable 52, WJBK Detroit.

WJBK was pulled from Buckeye the day after WUPW was, per Big Fox (since WJBK is a Fox owned and operated station) after WUPW was pulled from Buckeye. So there is no fox affiliate on Buckeye at the moment. WJBK was never in HD on Buckeye anyway. I wonder if Buckeye will retaliate by pulling other Fox networks like FX?
post #1917 of 1953 Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interesting. Buckeye in Bedford Township (MI) still has WJBK as I type this (5:58 pm Mon)

**UPDATE**: I see from the loop tape on Buckeye Cable 12 (in place of WUPW) that Fox ordered them to stop providing WJBK to viewers in Ohio. This would explain why they are still on in Bedford Twp.
post #1918 of 1953 Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM

The Block family that owns Buckeye cable is the problem. plain and simple.
post #1919 of 1953 Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM

In case anyone's interested, WDTJ-LD is on the air on channel 18, virtual channel 68.
post #1920 of 1953 Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Anyone have any input on Buckeye vs Uverse? Any comparison I've found online is a couple years out of date. I'm thinking of switching from Buckeye. The prices seem to be always going up while the quality of the HD channels seems to be deteriorating and the selection of HD channels I would actually want to watch is limited. I'm also digging the wireless add-on boxes for Uverse. Thoughts?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page