Toledo, OH - HDTV - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 1953 Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I switched from Buckeye to Uverse about 3 years ago. Better interface and integration with iPhone app, etc., good reliability, easy install, good picture, lots of content. I'm happy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1953 Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Liked: 10
I just hooked up my older HDTV to Buckeye Cable without a box. I beleive it only has an ATSC tuner, not QAM. Anyway, I get all the locals in HD, except for WTOL (11). The other channels are on their number dash 1 (13-1 for WTVG). Nothing is on 11-1. I get WTOL's secondary 11-2. Does anyone know where WTOL HD is on the cable? There is an 11-3 my TV says is scrambled?

Thanks
post #1923 of 1953 Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerrysburgGuy View Post

I just hooked up my older HDTV to Buckeye Cable without a box. I beleive it only has an ATSC tuner, not QAM. Anyway, I get all the locals in HD, except for WTOL (11). The other channels are on their number dash 1 (13-1 for WTVG). Nothing is on 11-1. I get WTOL's secondary 11-2. Does anyone know where WTOL HD is on the cable? There is an 11-3 my TV says is scrambled?

Thanks

Well, two things that could be happening here. If your tv definitely doesn't have a qam tuner, then you are picking up the others via ATSC OTA, meaning the cable in your walls are acting like an antenna, picking up the signals. This would explain you picking up some but not all channels.

Two, if your tv does have a qam tuner, which it sounds like to me, you should get all the locals in HD. I actually just recently re-scanned my tv's, and some of the channel labels changed, but the locals are still the same, 11-1 is WTOL, 13-1 is WTVG etc. So if you are not picking up 11-1, maybe try rescanning.
post #1924 of 1953 Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WMNT-CA, The low-power My Network affiliate on channel 48 over-the-air (58 on Buckeye) has switched their OTA signal from analog to digital.

Their primary program feed is in 480i (SD), and they briefly featured Mundo Fox (a Spanish channel) on 48.2 (but quickly dropped it). Now they have the one channel in SD and THREE sets of color bars in 720p for 48.2, 38.3 and 48.4.

Their actual RF channel remains 48, transmitted from atop Seagate building downtown.
post #1925 of 1953 Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Has anyone heard if Buckeye will be carrying the new FXX network when it debuts in September?
post #1926 of 1953 Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 AM

Hello fellows. Has anyone here has have their TV's professionally calibrated? Is there someone in the Toledo area that does the full ISF Display Calibration at a reasonable price? I got a 60" Panasonic plazma that has a decent clear picture, but doesn't seem to have that "pop" it should have with the picture looking darker than it should. I tried different settings but I don't know what the heck I'm doing. It might be time to bite the bullet and pay for a pro. Any suggestions? Thanks!
post #1927 of 1953 Old 08-16-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp View Post

I switched from Buckeye to Uverse about 3 years ago. Better interface and integration with iPhone app, etc., good reliability, easy install, good picture, lots of content. I'm happy...

opps, sorry. How was your download speeds ? Did you get the full package? How did the cost compare?
post #1928 of 1953 Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart219 View Post

Hello fellows. Has anyone here has have their TV's professionally calibrated? Is there someone in the Toledo area that does the full ISF Display Calibration at a reasonable price? I got a 60" Panasonic plazma that has a decent clear picture, but doesn't seem to have that "pop" it should have with the picture looking darker than it should. I tried different settings but I don't know what the heck I'm doing. It might be time to bite the bullet and pay for a pro. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I just got a Panasonic plasma (65s60) a few weeks ago and love it. Remember that a plasma is going to give you a generally "darker" picture. I say it's more realistic. Plasma displays aren't usually gonna be the best option for a room with a lot of sunlight that can't be covered up, which might be giving you the effect you're experiencing. What model is it?
post #1929 of 1953 Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Your display maybe differ slightly from other displays that are the same model but are the same size but many times people will post their settings on the internet after it being calibrated. CNET always does this, that should get you very close. Some things never change, generally start from the movie preset. For digital signals like cable, satellite, and blu-rays turn sharpness all the way down. The color temperature is usually set to as warm as possible. Turn overscan off, turn all noise-reduction and processing features off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

WMNT-CA, The low-power My Network affiliate on channel 48 over-the-air (58 on Buckeye) has switched their OTA signal from analog to digital.

Their primary program feed is in 480i (SD), and they briefly featured Mundo Fox (a Spanish channel) on 48.2 (but quickly dropped it). Now they have the one channel in SD and THREE sets of color bars in 720p for 48.2, 38.3 and 48.4.

Their actual RF channel remains 48, transmitted from atop Seagate building downtown.

I've scanned fairly recently and noticed that 48 is no longer available on analog but I have never got it to appear on digital. I also have never got WLMB to display either but it's probably because I'm pointed pretty far to the North West where WTOL and WTVG are which I always receive 100% signal quality on. I also can always pull in WOHL and WTLW Lima and I'm not even pointed in that direction at all. I can frequently pull in Detroit and Fort Wayne too but have never seen My Network TV Toledo or WLMB.
post #1930 of 1953 Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post

I've scanned fairly recently and noticed that 48 is no longer available on analog but I have never got it to appear on digital. I also have never got WLMB to display either but it's probably because I'm pointed pretty far to the North West where WTOL and WTVG are which I always receive 100% signal quality on. I also can always pull in WOHL and WTLW Lima and I'm not even pointed in that direction at all. I can frequently pull in Detroit and Fort Wayne too but have never seen My Network TV Toledo or WLMB.

Both are stations with short towers (500' for WLMB, 428' - the SeaGate bldg. - for WMNT) without a lot of power (15kW ERP for WMNT, 10 kW ERP directional - about 5 kw in your direction - for WLMB)

North Baltimore gets theoretically usable, but weak signals from both of them. In the case of WMNT, WSYX in Columbus with a million watts ERP on the same channel could be interfering with WMNT, especially when "trop" is in.
To get WLMB, you need an antenna that is capable of receiving lowband VHF - this means an antenna with WIDE elements coming perpendicular from the boom. You actually would want to aim the antenna a little further west to get WLMB, as they transmit from Jasper, MI, south of Adrian and a few miles north of the state line.
post #1931 of 1953 Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Both are stations with short towers (500' for WLMB, 428' - the SeaGate bldg. - for WMNT) without a lot of power (15kW ERP for WMNT, 10 kW ERP directional - about 5 kw in your direction - for WLMB)

North Baltimore gets theoretically usable, but weak signals from both of them. In the case of WMNT, WSYX in Columbus with a million watts ERP on the same channel could be interfering with WMNT, especially when "trop" is in.
To get WLMB, you need an antenna that is capable of receiving lowband VHF - this means an antenna with WIDE elements coming perpendicular from the boom. You actually would want to aim the antenna a little further west to get WLMB, as they transmit from Jasper, MI, south of Adrian and a few miles north of the state line.

Make sense, my antenna isn't good at receiving low band VHF which doesn't really matter to me, I'm not aimed in the direction either. I've never been able to pull in NBC out of Lima for the same reason.
post #1932 of 1953 Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post

I also have never got WLMB to display either but it's probably because I'm pointed pretty far to the North West where WTOL and WTVG are which I always receive 100% signal quality on. I also can always pull in WOHL and WTLW Lima and I'm not even pointed in that direction at all. I can frequently pull in Detroit and Fort Wayne too but have never seen My Network TV Toledo or WLMB.
WLMB broadcasts digitally on RF 5, which it prone to electrical interference. Very few stations transmit a digital signal on the low-VHF band (2-6). You probably need a huge outdoor antenna with lots of long VHF elements in order to receive WLMB. 10 kW doesn't help either. I received the old WLMB analog signal a few times under tropo conditions, but never been able to decode their digital signal. (The converter box shows that it is there, just not strong enough to decode).

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #1933 of 1953 Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 PM

The tropo has been in and out a lot during the month of August, and I've been receiving Toledo stations WTOL & WTVG along with some FM stations, Detroit stations WKBD & WMYD and Fort Wayne stations WANE, WFWA & WFFT. My question is, has anyone in the Toledo area been able to receive any Cleveland stations under tropo conditions? It would be interesting to know which stations you can receive and how long they last.

post #1934 of 1953 Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

The tropo has been in and out a lot during the month of August, and I've been receiving Toledo stations WTOL & WTVG along with some FM stations, Detroit stations WKBD & WMYD and Fort Wayne stations WANE, WFWA & WFFT. My question is, has anyone in the Toledo area been able to receive any Cleveland stations under tropo conditions? It would be interesting to know which stations you can receive and how long they last.

Pretty good that you were getting WMYD. Their directional antenna signal nulls to the east (a legacy of having to protect WFMJ in Youngstown on their analog channel 21 before analog shutoff). Some people on Detroit's far East Side have trouble getting them (though just about any attic or outdoor antenna will do).
post #1935 of 1953 Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Pretty good that you were getting WMYD. Their directional antenna signal nulls to the east (a legacy of having to protect WFMJ in Youngstown on their analog channel 21 before analog shutoff). Some people on Detroit's far East Side have trouble getting them (though just about any attic or outdoor antenna will do).
I have received WMYD a few times in the past, but conditions have to be just right. When WMYD does come in, the signal strength is on the edge of decoding.

post #1936 of 1953 Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 PM

I have Buckeye Cable HD and would like to know if there are any Sammy F7100 or F8000 users around here.
I'm thinking about buying one of these with the Samsung Smart box and was wondering if there are any
issues connecting with Buckeye that you know of?

Thanks.
post #1937 of 1953 Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Kocis View Post

I just got a Panasonic plasma (65s60) a few weeks ago and love it. Remember that a plasma is going to give you a generally "darker" picture. I say it's more realistic. Plasma displays aren't usually gonna be the best option for a room with a lot of sunlight that can't be covered up, which might be giving you the effect you're experiencing. What model is it?

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I have a Panasonic 60st30. I don't need my set calibrated anymore. I "upgraded" to the buckeye whole house dvr using the Arris box and my picture is great again. The install guy replaced a cable going from the Arris box to a splitter while eliminating an amplifier that was there previously. I tried replacing the regular dvr box I had twice and it didn't do any good. I like this whole house dvr. It has a larger hard drive too. The biggest plus is the picture is back!
post #1938 of 1953 Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 AM

Just a side note in relation to my post above. I have my Pana ST30 running through my Denon Amp. (5 speaker surround). Usually when watching Something, I would have to turn the volume up to around 60 to hear good. This always bothered me and made me think my Denon amp didn't have enough power. Well I get the Buckeye whole house DVR system and guess what? All of a sudden I my sound is coming through a lot louder now. I only have to keep my volume in the high thirty's now. By upgrading, I not only got my picture back but my sound too.
Its been great for about three months. One day, about two weeks ago, my sound is back to where I have to put it up to 60 again. frown.gif Called Buckeye. Have to wait to see if Thursday night upgrade fixes it. (From what I understand the Arris box updates every Thursday evening around 3 or 4 am.) My conclusion , and I'm not sure, is that extra volume requires extra bandwidth and they are trying to cut back on the band width usage anyway they can. This sucks if true. I'll have to wait and see.
post #1939 of 1953 Old 10-25-2013, 03:57 AM

Buckeye cut back the bandwidth used for sound. Anyone else notice that they have to turn their surround systems or tv's up louder?
post #1940 of 1953 Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 AM

Yes, I have noticed. I also notice that the commercials still come blaring through though...............
post #1941 of 1953 Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Buckeye cut back the bandwidth used for sound. Anyone else notice that they have to turn their surround systems or tv's up louder?

When using my smart box for HBO GO or Netfix the sound is very, very low with my Sammy F7100.
I am now using an AV receiver to amplify. I am most certain Buckeye is capping it, because when I go to
a certain level, then go higher, the sound doesn't get any louder.
post #1942 of 1953 Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Noticed a change in the Buckeye (Bedford Twp.) cable lineup.

Cable 10, both analog and digital, which had been WNWO (NBC) has been replaced by CBET (CBC), which seems to me to be a sign that Buckeye considers the end of carriage for WNWO permanent. Oddly, CBET has not been removed from its existing cable channel 59.

Bedford Twp. customers are still getting NBC on cable 54 (WDIV)

Also interesting is that the analog TV program guide (cable channel 70) has changed the information for cable channel 52 from WJBK to SNBC - in error, as, at present, WJBK (Fox) is still seen on cable (analog or digital) in their Bedford Twp system. The information through the digital cable box correctly shows Fox/WJBK information .for channel 52. Note that since the Fox v Buckeye retrans battle, Buckeye has not carried WJBK in Ohio and has not carried WUPW in Michigan, so analog cable viewers in Bedford Twp might get the false impression that they no longer can watch Fox.

Question for OH readers: are Ohio Buckeye viewers still getting WDIV, or do they have to change providers or take to the air for NBC (FWIW, my daughter also gets the Toledo and the Detroit stations OTA, which also provides free HD service).
post #1943 of 1953 Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 PM

No, we are not receiving WDIV. The consensus here in Toledo is that very few miss NBC. As for our household, they could eliminate all the major alphabet networks. We'd never know the difference.
post #1944 of 1953 Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Watching Superbpwl om Buckeye. Not getting any sound out of rear surrounds. Front and center are fine.

Anyone else not getting rear surround info?

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #1945 of 1953 Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 AM

Does anyone know what "free" antenna Buckeye is giving away? I am debating purchasing a (good) new one or just picking up their free one for the few times when we would like to view NBC.

On a side note, I have a feeling that after the Olympics, 24 may have a change of heart. It seems to me like Buckeye called their bluff...
post #1946 of 1953 Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM

Anyone just start having trouble with audio on buckeye via there receiver? Just started Friday/Saturday I have to crank the volume up to 50 now to hear it (prior it was 30).. no change on my side, tv, audio, surround mode, etc.. Also noticing last couple weeks the commericals and such have been all over the board on loudness. This is really annoying (switch to another source at 50 and you wake up the whole house)! I like Buckeye, but honestly if they keep playing with the audio I will be leaving them.
post #1947 of 1953 Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I am in Bedford and I am guessing we just got hit with the same thing in last couple days... did yours ever revert back to normal?
post #1948 of 1953 Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcsi99 View Post

I am in Bedford and I am guessing we just got hit with the same thing in last couple days... did yours ever revert back to normal?

Hello. No it never did. On my big plasma I have a surround setup. I have to turn it up about 25% more to get something I can hear. What really sucks is how noticeable it is on my 19 and 32 " lcd's. Om my 19" I have to max out the volume and still have the channels I can't hear that great. Really disappointed in Buckeye for pulling this SH*t.
post #1949 of 1953 Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Hello. No it never did. On my big plasma I have a surround setup. I have to turn it up about 25% more to get something I can hear. What really sucks is how noticeable it is on my 19 and 32 " lcd's. Om my 19" I have to max out the volume and still have the channels I can't hear that great. Really disappointed in Buckeye for pulling this SH*t.

Assumung Buckeye is a cable company, it should be pointed out that TWC, Directv, Dish Network, and Comcast all have had similar volume increase requirements for a long time. My Denon receiver has the satellite input source volume increased +12 (the max) and I still have to watch Directv around 35 to 40, where other sources are around 30.
post #1950 of 1953 Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Hmm.. I only really notice it on the tv with the receiver.. I don't use the other tv's too much, but I guess now that you mention it they are up a few notches more than normal also.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page